Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Seems like most of the transfers done by Ashleys new system have work...Excluding injury's  (these cant be helped) Just another reason why Keegan has gone down in my estimations

I hope you've got your tin hat on.

Its kind of sad that he actually needs one.

I agree with him, one of the most ironic things I've seen in recent years is the same people who protested to get Ashley out saying how class they think Jonas and Coloccini are. Add Guthrie and Bassong to the list and the ironyometer might explode.

Seems like most of the transfers done by Ashleys new system have work...Excluding injury's  (these cant be helped) Just another reason why Keegan has gone down in my estimations

I agree with him, one of the most ironic things I've seen in recent years is the same people who protested to get Ashley out saying how class they think Jonas and Coloccini are. Add Guthrie and Bassong to the list and the ironyometer might explode.

Eh? You're saying this, but who knows who we might have been able to get in if the manager had his way. Also the squad is still terribly weak in areas that the manager said needed improving the most. But don't let that get in the way though as in three transfer windows we've signed a couple of canny players though.

Eh? You're saying this, but who knows who we might have been able to get in if the manager had his way. Also the squad is still terribly weak in areas that the manager said needed improving the most. But don't let that get in the way though as in three transfer windows we've signed a couple of canny players though.

no one can deny the balance has been wrong since ashley took over, but if he came back tomorrow & spent his 20m a season on a couple of top class players plus unearthing the likes of what we got this summer we'd be in business

there is no innocent & guilty here, never was

You've got a point, but nobody ever signs a whole new first team in one go. How many players would have been realistic to bring in, 8, 9, 10? I just think the club did a good job with transfers.

I really don't think the squad is that weak, although you're right we need a couple of bodies in.

You've got a point, but nobody ever signs a whole new first team in one go. How many players would have been realistic to bring in, 8, 9, 10? I just think the club did a good job with transfers.

I really don't think the squad is that weak, although you're right we need a couple of bodies in.

Squad is weak as fuck. No cover at FB. A poor CM and the back ups for Zog and Jonas (Duff and Geremi) are well past their best.

I never said in one go though, Ashley has now had three transfer windows to show us any ambition at all, and this hasn't been the case at all, the complete opposite as a matter of fact.

The squad is terrible in key areas though, central midfield being a prime example of that. We're weak as well in cover for the full-backs, something which Keegan also said needed addressing in the summer. Also if Colo gets injured we haven't got much cover at centre half. If Jonas is injured the options for the right aren't exaclty the best as well.

Plus we're actually in a position to offer Shola a new contract, frightning iyam. We have a good core no doubt with players like Owen (if he stays), Jonas, Colo, Given & Beye. But a few injuries and we're knackered, as we were for full-backs at the start of the season.

Not saying this is a new thing btw as the squad has been like this long before Ashley took over, but these problems need addressing, and yet still haven't been despite the manager even saying that this was the case.

To be honest it's starting to make us all look a bit daft. I wanted Ashley out as much as the next man for what he did to Keegan, but the system he implemented (with Dennis wobbly eyes at the helm) seems to work a treat. Given the amount of money we've wasted on transfers in the past it's refreshing to see us actually strengthen our first team without spending ridiculous money. I'm not saying i want Ashley, Wise and Jimenez to stay but if they back the manager in January and get us some more players of the calibre we've already recruited then i might think about swallowing my pride and giving them a second chance. The team and the club are far more important than Geordie pride as far as i'm concerned. 

To be honest it's starting to make us all look a bit daft. I wanted Ashley out as much as the next man for what he did to Keegan, but the system he implemented (with Dennis wobbly eyes at the helm) seems to work a treat. Given the amount of money we've wasted on transfers in the past it's refreshing to see us actually strengthen our first team without spending ridiculous money. I'm not saying i want Ashley, Wise and Jimenez to stay but if they back the manager in January and get us some more players of the calibre we've already recruited then i might think about swallowing my pride and giving them a second chance. The team and the club are far more important than Geordie pride as far as i'm concerned.  

See my post above.

To me all the talk of the players we haven't brought in and the cover we still need is irrelevent... it was always the plan to make steady progress without wasting fortunes like before, and we're doing that.

As for some of the backup being past its best, you can't just make the likes of Duff and Smith disappear, they're on big contracts for big money. Yes, if we didn't care about financial stability we could just add to them, but I guess we are being quite cautious in that respect.

To me all the talk of the players we haven't brought in and the cover we still need is irrelevent... it was always the plan to make steady progress without wasting fortunes like before, and we're doing that.

As for some of the backup being past its best, you can't just make the likes of Duff and Smith disappear, they're on big contracts for big money. Yes, if we didn't care about financial stability we could just add to them, but I guess we are being quite cautious in that respect.

I wouldn't exactly call being in a relegation battle steady progress.

There's also no excuse that Nicky Butt is still deemed good enough to start.

I never said in one go though, Ashley has now had three transfer windows to show us any ambition at all, and this hasn't been the case at all, the complete opposite as a matter of fact.

The squad is terrible in key areas though, central midfield being a prime example of that. We're weak as well in cover for the full-backs, something which Keegan also said needed addressing in the summer. Also if Colo gets injured we haven't got much cover at centre half. If Jonas is injured the options for the right aren't exaclty the best as well.

Plus we're actually in a position to offer Shola a new contract, frightning iyam. We have a good core no doubt with players like Owen (if he stays), Jonas, Colo, Given & Beye. But a few injuries and we're knackered, as we were for full-backs at the start of the season.

Not saying this is a new thing btw as the squad has been like this long before Ashley took over, but these problems need addressing, and yet still haven't been despite the manager even saying that this was the case.

Did you really expect every position we needed to sort to be done in one transfer window?

Last Summer we went some way to sorting the problems and hopefully in January we can get a few more positions sorted, we were never going to be in a position to go out and sign 12 players so lets try and keep some perspective, our squad isn't any weaker in terms of numbers than the likes of Everton and Villa.

I wouldn't exactly call being in a relegation battle steady progress.

There's also no excuse that Nicky Butt is still deemed good enough to start.

You're right the results have been awful, but I've got to put that down in no small part to the off the field chaos and some unlucky injuries.

Butt I agree with you on, hopefully a proper defensive midfielder is on the list.

Did you really expect every position we needed to sort to be done in one transfer window?

Last Summer we went some way to sorting the problems and hopefully in January we can get a few more positions sorted, we were never going to be in a position to go out and sign 12 players so lets try and keep some perspective, our squad isn't any weaker in terms of numbers than the likes of Everton and Villa.

No, as I've said there's been three transfer windows now to show the intention of the club and they haven't shown much ambition at all. I'm aware there's more than just spending bucketloads by showing ambition. Things such as getting Owen's contract sorted, actually filling the squad with the players in the positions that the manager wanted.

January is also a notoriously hard time to buy players, and I can't see that being any different this time.

No, as I've said there's been three transfer windows now to show the intention of the club and they haven't shown much ambition at all. I'm aware there's more than just spending bucketloads by showing ambition. Things such as getting Owen's contract sorted, actually filling the squad with the players in the positions that the manager wanted.

January is also a notoriously hard time to buy players, and I can't see that being any different this time.

So Keegan wanted a left back and we didn't get one, we made a move for more than one though and it looks like we'll be getting the position filled in January, I really can't see what the big deal is as it's not as if we haven't got players that can do a job there until then.

If we can get a left back and a centre midfielder in in January that are good enough to go straight into the first team then I'd consider that a really good season in terms of signings, that will be 5 players that have come in (Jonas, Colo and Bassong) and really improved the first team in one season and it's not often we can say that, I couldn't care less about net spend or any of that as it's the standard of player I'm interested in.

People go on about the business we've done in the 3 transfer windows under Ashley, but we've only had one window under the new system he put in place after assessing the club.

Question:  If the recruitment team were responsible for Colo, Bassong, Guthrie and Jonas and we have money to spend in the transfer window, would you want them to spend it or Kinnear?

People go on about the business we've done in the 3 transfer windows under Ashley, but we've only had one window under the new system he put in place after assessing the club.

Question:  If the recruitment team were responsible for Colo, Bassong, Guthrie and Jonas and we have money to spend in the transfer window, would you want them to spend it or Kinnear?

Them

Anyone but the Riise bum boy.

Guest Jawesome

Well fucking said. Bar the poor grammar  O0

People want to complain about the squad being thin but dont want to acknowledge that the first team has been the best in 4 years. Personally in terms of priority, id rather the first team was sorted before we squad built.

Either way one thing categorically isnt more imporant than the other so the wiegting in cirticsim should be equal.

We're 1 or 2 players away from being a top 6 first team but a little bit more from being a top 6 squad. When was the last time we could say that? where does the credit go for this?

People want to complain about the squad being thin but dont want to acknowledge that the first team has been the best in 4 years. Personally in terms of priority, id rather the first team was sorted before we squad built.

Either way one thing categorically isnt more imporant than the other so the wiegting in cirticsim should be equal.

We're 1 or 2 players away from being a top 6 first team but a little bit more from being a top 6 squad. When was the last time we could say that? where does the credit go for this?

We're not though as we don't have a manager competent enough to achieve this.

That doesnt change the fact that its a first team capable of finishing in the top 6. I dont think we have the squad to fininsh in the top6 but we definitely have the first team.

That doesnt change the fact that its a first team capable of finishing in the top 6. I dont think we have the squad to fininsh in the top6 but we definitely have the first team.

But it's a squad game we play in now. Or so we get told often enough.

Yeah but it's not a bad position to be in.  If they bring in more of the likes of Jonas, Colo, Bassong this time next year we'd have a squad capable of this rpovided we hold on to the likes of Owen, Oba etc.

How much investement is required to build a squad that is capable of going from 12th to 6th? And is that a reasonable expectation from the fans?

How much investement is required to build a squad that is capable of going from 12th to 6th? And is that a reasonable expectation from the fans?

To jump from that position? I don't know many that expected top 6. I know people like myself who thought it was attainable as we had the right manager, but only if he was given the right backing by the board. And there's more to backing a manager than just throwing money at him btw.