RE NE5 in Arshavin thread (Warning contains discussion on old and new boards)

Decky

We could have folded, no point in arguing about it.  Not saying we would have, but we certainly could have.

this, totally and utterly

any business CAN fold, but we wouldn't. Mort was talkig utter bollocks.

never mentioned mort, talking from financial facts - we were on an unsustainable path...you'll never see the reality of that 'cause ashley bailed us out

lots of younger lads also don't realise the position we were in in 1991. Now THAT is close to bankrputcy, and it is a million miles away from where we were a year ago.

Shame I have had to keep pointing it out so often because people don't listen.

This has been done before, chez given is a financial analyst and has also told you all that with the income and turnover generated by the club it was simply just not going to happen. A few others have also agreed with this. Why do you people take no notice of such things ?

Mort is talking bollocks. It was just PR. The best PR is a winning team. They should get down to the job of backing the manager and getting back into the european slots at least, as quickly as possible, and not just for the financial benefits if you want to look at that before getting results on the pitch.

Trouble is, those other pesky clubs - like Man City, Villa and Spurs - are our main rivals and are all looking like they actually understand how to do it.

We could have folded, no point in arguing about it.  Not saying we would have, but we certainly could have.

For someone who calls other people naive mate, thats honestly brilliant.

Its like the phrase "too good to get relegated"

However I'm stepping out of this now having put my point across ;)

no, we weren't too good to get relegated, but Mort was certainly stupid enough to believe it when he told us in November that we wouldn't be spending any money in January.

never mentioned mort, talking from financial facts - we were on an unsustainable path...you'll never see the reality of that 'cause ashley bailed us out

lots of younger lads also don't realise the position we were in in 1991. Now THAT is close to bankrputcy, and it is a million miles away from where we were a year ago.

This has been done before, chez given is a financial analyst and has also told you all that with the income and turnover generated by the club it was simply just not going to happen. A few others have also agreed with this. Why do you people take no notice of such things ?

Mort is talking bollocks. It was just PR. The best PR is a winning team. They should get down to the job of backing the manager and getting back into the european slots at least, as quickly as possible, and not just for the financial benefits if you want to look at that before getting results on the pitch.

Trouble is, those other pesky clubs - like Man City, Villa and Spurs - are our main rivals and are all looking like they actually understand how to do it.

again, never mentioned mort and have no idea what you're referring to but that's by the by

i'll side with a multi billionaire who seemingly balked at the debt and wage defecit of of the of the club he bought as an indication of the financial state, you side with a dude off the internet if you like

the fact you're mentioning man city as an example of anything astounds me

after souness and roeder and appointing allardyce,mounting debts......could you see things improving ?

Like at Leeds?

again, never mentioned mort and have no idea what you're referring to but that's by the by

i'll side with a multi billionaire who seemingly balked at the debt and wage defecit of of the of the club he bought as an indication of the financial state, you side with a dude off the internet if you like

they are our competition, and we have to actually beat our competitors ?

by appointing souness,roeder and allardyce

Its all been explained before by myself and others, and still people spout this shite

Ironic

whats ironic ? The fact that you have said we could fold, yet now appear to concede you were talking bollocks ?

Which is exactly my point.

Eh?

The irony is that you said that to me, when infact you constantly go over the same issues with the same people making the same points, and you always bring it all back up regularly.

Like at Leeds?

Like Liverpool ? As well as the clubs I've mentioned, and the other trophy winning clubs, but continue cherry picking if you like

The trophy winning teams show you how to do it, if you think we should go down a different route, I find that pretty astonishing. But its up to you and to be honest there's not really anything else that can be said. It's been said enough times now. Watching the top players sign for the other major clubs isn't going to get anywhere, this is kids stuff.

see liams post mate, man city will end one way and it ain't good...stevie wonder and ray charles told me that

Its all been explained before by myself and others, and still people spout this shite

Ironic

whats ironic ? The fact that you have said we could fold, yet now appear to concede you were talking bollocks ?

Which is exactly my point.

Eh?

The irony is that you said that to me, when infact you constantly go over the same issues with the same people making the same points, yet you still dont fail to bring it up regularly.

I'm not interested in taking part in threads about my favourite first 11, or what formation we will play next season, or the Championship manager statistics of a player I have never seen play football. I just see people spouting rubbish and cliches, and I have my opinion on what it takes to be successful, based on what I've seen in over 40 years of being a football supporter, and it isn't sitting back implementing wage cuts and operating a sell to buy policy, and watching the other clubs buy the best players.

Like at Leeds?

Like Liverpool ? As well as the clubs I've mentioned, and the other trophy winning clubs, but continue cherry picking if you like

The trophy winning teams show you how to do it, if you think we should go down a different route, I find that pretty astonishing. But its up to you and to be honest there's not really anything else that can be said. It's been said enough times now. Watching the top players sign for the other major clubs isn't going to get anywhere, this is kids stuff.

Sorry mate, but you said our turnover meant we couldn't go bust or get into serious financial trouble.  I mentioned who Leeds did, what's that got to do with Liverpool?

Like at Leeds?

liverpool ? whom the latest details i could find had a turnover of 119.449 mill with a wagres ratio of 57.63% for 2005/6

whist ours was turnover of 82.882mill and a wages ratio of 61.6%.

can you see why they can afford to carry more debt. ?.............i take it you aren't a mortgage advisor ?

see liams post mate, man city will end one way and it ain't good...stevie wonder and ray charles told me that

they might, so might Chelsea. They might have some success first though, then re-group. The big clubs always come back. If you would prefer to spend year after year finishing outside the elite and not even having a go, then I don't agree, thats not what I want.

they might, so might Chelsea. They might have some success first though, then re-group. The big clubs always come back. If you would prefer to spend year after year finishing outside the elite and not even having a go, then I don't agree, thats not what I want.

but do you agree that you can't just go on racking up more and more debt ?

Like at Leeds?

liverpool ? whom the latest details i could find had a turnover of 119.449 mill with a wagres ratio of 57.63% for 2005/6

can you see why they can afford to carry more debt. ?.............i take it you aren't a mortgage advisor ?

The simple answer to that is :

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:x_nkvbvZ3HBF7M:http://www.manutdpics.com/image/The-Treble-Trophies_1981.jpg

lots of them over decades.

Just been talking to a lady who has day to day dealings with the club and she was saying we were running the club under fat fred like a private company when it was a P.L.C and that is not sustainable hence all the debt which Ashley had to deal with and the dodgy deals coming out of the woodwork I.E Freds pals using executive boxes at a far cheaper price than anyone not in business with them . shoot me down if you want but she has no reason to tell porkys as she got on ok with fred too on a business level but a tosser of a bloke as a person .

Like at Leeds?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:x_nkvbvZ3HBF7M:http://www.manutdpics.com/image/The-Treble-Trophies_1981.jpg

that isn't an answer to what i asked.........liverpool can afford more debt because they have a higher turnover and more cash to finance the debt........can you understand this ?

since when were either "big clubs"? 

liverpool, arsenal and man u are the only true big clubs in the country and that's down to sustained success on the pitch and/or support (man u)

none of them would come back from what man city are currently doing unless they utterly dominate the EPL for years to come

Like at Leeds?

that isn't an answer to what i asked.........liverpool can afford more debt because they have a higher turnover and more cash to finance the debt........can you understand this ?

I was going to give this a miss as I've said my piece and as I know I'm right you aren't going to change my mind, but its called speculate to accumulate.

We get a bigger crowd [now] than Liverpool so how do YOU think they have a bigger turnover and how do YOU think we can match and overtake them ? As a slight aside, what do you think was the reason we started to get a bigger crowd than Liverpool ?

Simple fact that you and others just don't get is that NUFC have a support big enough to enable them to take the risks necessary sometimes, not exist at the level of poxy little clubs like pompey who are on a temporary high point. I understand you do it to run the old board down as your head is in the sand so far as they are concerned but thats your problem.

One day the penny will drop with people like you. I'm telling you that if the club opts out of competing for the top players, then in 5 years down the line we will be further away from them than ever. If they impose restrictions on Keegan, then anything we will do while he is here will be down to him succeeding in spite of it, through knowing what he's doing, but we won't fulfill his potential.

liverpool, arsenal and man u are the only true big clubs in the country and that's down to sustained success on the pitch and/or support (man u)

none of them would come back from what man city are currently doing unless they utterly dominate the EPL for years to come

I meant the big city clubs. By virtue of the fact that they are the biggest clubs in the biggest cities, they all have the potential to dominate, the ones who do the best are the ones who get their act together the most, thats all.

I meant the big city clubs. By virtue of the fact that they are the biggest clubs in the biggest cities, they all have the potential to dominate, the ones who do the best are the ones who get their act together the most, thats all.

that bordered on you admitting you were wrong

manchester city, amazing that someone would hold them up as an example of anything right now (apologies spectrum, about the owner not the club)

We get a bigger crowd [now] than Liverpool so how do YOU think they have a bigger turnover and how do YOU think we can match and overtake them ? As a slight aside, what do you think was the reason we started to get a bigger crowd than Liverpool ?

Simple fact that you and others just don't get is that NUFC have a support big enough to enable them to take the risks necessary sometimes, not exist at the level of poxy little clubs like pompey who are on a temporary high point. I understand you do it to run the old board down as your head is in the sand so far as they are concerned but thats your problem.

But the role played by gate money in clubs' income these days is getting smaller and will continue to do so.

There's a big difference between Liverpool and any one of Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Spurs etc etc, which is that there are millions of Liverpool shirt-wearing television fans across the world. There aren't millions of Newcastle fans in Thailand, Malaysia and Japan. That's one reason why talk of the top four being broken up is, in my opinion, fanciful.

These clubs are global franchises. Whether Newcastle get 52k every week or 42k is immaterial, it won't make any difference if they start trying to compete with the big four.

One day the top four will decide to negotiate their own foreign television deals instead of going with the collective, shared arrangement we have now, and when that happens we might as well all give up.

But the role played by gate money in clubs' income these days is getting smaller and will continue to do so.

There's a big difference between Liverpool and any one of Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Spurs etc etc, which is that there are millions of Liverpool shirt-wearing television fans across the world. There aren't millions of Newcastle fans in Thailand, Malaysia and Japan. That's one reason why talk of the top four being broken up is, in my opinion, fanciful.

These clubs are global franchises. Whether Newcastle get 52k every week or 42k is immaterial, it won't make any difference if they start trying to compete with the big four.

One day the top four will decide to negotiate their own foreign television deals instead of going with the collective, shared arrangement we have now, and when that happens we might as well all give up.

Spot on, but I fear you're about to get told its a load of shite though.