So, Is Ashley Struggling To Shift ST's?

Crumpy Gunt

Souness? Aye, I'll renew.

Roeder? Aye, I'll renew.

Allardyce? Aye, I'll renew.

Keegan? Fuck it. I'm sick.

Can't understand the mentality.

I think the increase in price is the killer - that on top of all the shite you describe.

I also think that a reasonable amount will not have been over excited at Keegans appointment regardless.

Maybe he's got something up his sleeve. Like a signing that will boost sales later in the day so to speak. I hope to hell. If we're shelling out the extra for renewals then he sure as hell wants to extend those hands into those bulging pockets.

Guest chris1210

The more and more i think about it, the more i become baffled at myself for paying up front for 3 yrs in all honesty.

The fact i miss out on price increases for the next 3 seasons is a big bonus, and that Barclays Football Card is a dream come true, but even with the Euros still not finished, im getting very edgy at the sheer lack of movement at the club. Its incredibly worrying, especially as everyone seen this summer as the summer big bucks are spent, and the big signings arrive.

As time goes on, i can see a few cheap or free signings, and that be it..

The more and more i think about it, the more i become baffled at myself for paying up front for 3 yrs in all honesty.

The fact i miss out on price increases for the next 3 seasons is a big bonus, and that Barclays Football Card is a dream come true, but even with the Euros still not finished, im getting very edgy at the sheer lack of movement at the club. Its incredibly worrying, especially as everyone seen this summer as the summer big bucks are spent, and the big signings arrive.

It's a fair concern. I don't know why I'm particularly any more optimistic than you - I've paid for three years too so they'd better make it worth the commitment - but I still think we should be able to wait a couple of weeks more before getting too worked up.

Everything the club has done so far (debt payments, managerial switch, the off-field changes, the youth signings) has been done with the long-term stability of the club done at heart IMO, even if they've not handled it all particularly skillfully. That gives me hope, along with the fact Keegan surely wouldn't have returned without promises of backing.

I think we'll make a mixture of signings this summer in the end, but with an emphasis on younger players hungry to prove themselves (hence the Modric thing). I accept this might not be enough for some though.

I'm waffling here, so I'll stop now.

It's a fair concern. I don't know why I'm particularly any more optimistic than you - I've paid for three years too so they'd better make it worth the commitment - but I still think we should be able to wait a couple of weeks more before getting too worked up.

Everything the club has done so far (debt payments, managerial switch, the off-field changes, the youth signings) has been done with the long-term stability of the club done at heart IMO, even if they've not handled it all particularly skillfully. That gives me hope, along with the fact Keegan surely wouldn't have returned without promises of backing.

I think we'll make a mixture of signings this summer in the end, but with an emphasis on younger players hungry to prove themselves (hence the Modric thing). I accept this might not be enough for some though.

ever considered the modric move was nothing more than an attempt to "convince" fans we're gonna spend big when we're not dave?  bit like the rooney move that was simply never going to happen in a 100 years but was designed to make us look like we were still competing/able to compete

not saying it was, just saying it's worth considering...the optimists like yourself are basically hanging onto that modric shred at the moment for everything it's worth 'cause if you took that away then on the field wise things look pretty grim really don't they?

said it ages ago, if we'd identified our targets as that move suggested we might have done then where was the move for the next player when that deal went south?  he can't have been the ONLY person we intended to sign could he?

a pessimist is never disappointed!!!

ever considered the modric move was nothing more than an attempt to "convince" fans we're gonna spend big when we're not dave?  bit like the rooney move that was simply never going to happen in a 100 years but was designed to make us look like we were still competing/able to compete

not saying it was, just saying it's worth considering...the optimists like yourself are basically hanging onto that modric shred at the moment for everything it's worth 'cause if you took that away then on the field wise things look pretty grim really don't they?

said it ages ago, if we'd identified our targets as that move suggested we might have done then where was the move for the next player when that deal went south?  he can't have been the ONLY person we intended to sign could he?

what would be the point in that...3 days before the window shuts and after the season tickets had been renewed.

in the modric case it would only have been worth it had NUFC leaked it but we'd been in talks for a few days and had kept shtum.

as in the rooney case if the selling club had kept quiet no-one would have known and thus defeats the exercise you have as a conspiracy.

what would be the point in that...3 days before the window shuts and after the season tickets had been renewed.

in the modric case it would only have been worth it had NUFC leaked it but we'd been in talks for a few days and had kept shtum.

as in the rooney case if the selling club had kept quiet no-one would have known and thus defeats the exercise you have as a conspiracy.

OK then we WERE in with a shout of getting rooney then, fine

AAAAAND NUFC never expected at any time in the modric deal that details of our bid would become public knowledge, a viewpoint i find laughable

assuming all that is true, where is/was the move for the next guy after modric then?  why was the move for modric so important/pressing?  because spurs moved first?  because he was our primary target?  where's the secondary target?  is there one, if so why is he not important/pressing for us to sign?

EDIT: i'm just trying to point out things don't seem to quite add up with the new ownership right now, this is a thread about falling ST renewals after all, not about my apparent panic regarding our ability to field a team next season

The Rooney bid was real imo. We made it a few days after ManU publicly announced that they had no money left in the coffers to sign Rooney, and simply could not afford it (Arsenal/Wenger had ruled themselves out long before that, Chelsea were looking elsewhere). We called ManU's bluff, and lost - they used future transfer budgets that summer to land him (and then spent comparatively nothing the following summer IIRC).

The Owen signing a season later for a similarly large amount proved that Shepherd was out to get that one top player to replace Shearer as the main driving point of the team. Although many of us thought that it was too big a risk to gamble everything on Owen (and hence another in a long line of badly thought out decisions), a player with a history of injuries, the Rooney bid is something that Shepherd should be praised for, because that was excellent ambition. Had we signed him, we would have had one of the best all round forwards in the league playing for us over the past few years (and although he was practically finished by then, it would've been nice to see Shearer playing alongside Rooney for us).

Its hard to see why the Rooney bid would have been fake. As stated, the Owen signing proves that Shepherd had the intention of signing a top forward to replace Shearer, the money was there (later flushed down the toilet by Souness, £35m of it in the first summer) and Rooney would have been the number one target, at the time playing for a lower mid table Everton side. There would have been little to be gained by stringing supporters along for a few days with a fake bid, especially knowing that it was going to amount to nothing eventually (meaning even more reason for supporters to get pissed with the chairman), whilst if we were merely trying to force ManU to show their cards and help Everton secure a big sale, what did we gain from it? Why would we help either Everton or ManU out? Even if there was a slightly dodgey element to it, such as Shepherd owning shares in some company that would have benefitted greatly from the sale (e.g. agent's?), it probably have been peanuts compared to shirt sales and boosted league positions and generally being a bigger club because of signing one of the top talents in Europe.

Clearly, the money was there, the intention to sign someone of that calibre was there, the competition for the signature had at the time been reduced to zero based on other clubs ruling themselves out, we know for a fact that a bid was made, and to top it all off, Big Al, who rarely speaks about transfers, was very publicly making statements to Rooney about why he should sign for us (as he did when we signed Owen). Very strong case for a real, legitimate attempt to sign him imo.

After years of slagging off the previous regime for signing "trophy signing" to appease the fans and increase renewals, it seems the current board cannot win as many are saying "I probably won't renew unless we get a couple of big name signings". Can't please all of the people etc...!

IF season ticket renewals are slow its probably to do more with a general falling out of love with the modern game, and the current economic climate etc rather than a problem with the team's expectations. This will probably the first season I've looked forward to since Sir Bobby. Its the first full season under our new set up, we've got a manager who will encourage attractive football. And as importantly I think maybe this year our expectations as fans have become realistic - we need to rebuild and a top ten finish next year, whilst shedding some of the overpaid baggage we currently have or have had, will be progress, despite what a lot on here might say.

to tmonkey - that's all fine and dandy, and i agree we'd have found the money (added to the debt in other words) and in shepherds mind it could have happened - still doesn't change the fact it would NEVER have happened in the real world 'cause of who he was at the time...same for the ronaldinho "bid" or "interest" that was rumoured when he went to barca from psg

to bealios - the key point you're missing i think is that under the old regime we made what you refer to as trophy signings when they weren't required, but now we're in need of a boost man, we're in the doldrums it's a fact...i'm not saying we should piss the whole budget away on an ageing henry or something as shepherd might have done, but bringing in a signing that would generate some excitement in the fans for what is to come should be seen as nothing less than a necessity right now IMO

to tmonkey - that's all fine and dandy, and i agree we'd have found the money (added to the debt in other words) and in shepherds mind it could have happened - still doesn't change the fact it would NEVER have happened in the real world 'cause of who he was at the time...same for the ronaldinho "bid" or "interest" that was rumoured when he went to barca from psg

If ManU had not rejigged their finances just to sign Rooney (i.e. Ferguson knew he couldnt miss out on him), we would have landed Rooney.

At the time, Everton were your bog standard lower mid table team with no money and no indication of moving forwards. IMO they had nothing but a dirty side that kicked lumps out of the opposition team, although thats easy to forget now that them and e.g. Blackburn have moved on and play decent football. Right now we'd look back and think Rooney wouldnt move because it would be a sideways step, but at that time we were still a club that had recently been in the CL, we were still in Europe having just finished 5th, and we still had some star players in the squad - i.e. it looked like we merely had a blip as all sides do. Hence, we'd have been a sizeable step forward over Everton at the time.

On top of all that, you have the fact that we'd have offered ludicrous wages that even now Everton wouldnt be able to or want to match, just as we did with Owen. Hence, if ManU werent in the picture (as they had led everyone to believe) and the choice was between moving to us on big wages and playing alongside Shearer et al, or staying with Everton for another year, I think he'd have moved, and therefore I dont see how it never would have happened.

If ManU had not rejigged their finances just to sign Rooney (i.e. Ferguson knew he couldnt miss out on him), we would have landed Rooney.

At the time, Everton were your bog standard lower mid table team with no money and no indication of moving forwards. IMO they had nothing but a dirty side that kicked lumps out of the opposition team, although thats easy to forget now that them and e.g. Blackburn have moved on and play decent football. Right now we'd look back and think Rooney wouldnt move because it would be a sideways step, but at that time we were still a club that had recently been in the CL, we were still in Europe having just finished 5th, and we still had some star players in the squad - i.e. it looked like we merely had a blip as all sides do. Hence, we'd have been a sizeable step forward over Everton at the time.

On top of all that, you have the fact that we'd have offered ludicrous wages that even now Everton wouldnt be able to or want to match, just as we did with Owen. Hence, if ManU werent in the picture (as they had led everyone to believe) and the choice was between moving to us on big wages and playing alongside Shearer et al, or staying with Everton for another year, I think he'd have moved, and therefore I dont see how it never would have happened.

That is much closer to the reality yup.

never would have happened 'cause manu would NEVER have not signed the lad, they were always gonna do what it took to get him, our bid just forced their hand (i take it you've heard the kenwright/shepherd rumour) - BUT in the other universe where ferguson misses out on the third english footballer who is the best of his generation then yeah, perhaps we might have got him

but if you think it was possible for even a second you're mental - i'm sure i even remember rooney saying he'd never have joined the club anyways after the event

get a grip man

never would have happened 'cause manu would NEVER have not signed the lad, they were always gonna do what it took to get him, our bid just forced their hand (i take it you've heard the kenwright/shepherd rumour) - BUT in the other universe where ferguson misses out on the third english footballer who is the best of his generation then yeah, perhaps we might have got him

but if you think it was possible for even a second you're mental - i'm sure i even remember rooney saying he'd never have joined the club anyways after the event

get a grip man

No Rooney has said he would have joined. He would have gone anywhere to leave Everton (once a Blue and all that.....) at that point.

FWIW the Rooney deal was genuine and it was a close call that he went to ManU (I was auditing at Old Trafford at the time of the signing).

get a grip man

We stuck a bid in and took a chance, we had nothing to lose, id be pissed off if i thought the club wouldnt bid for a player of Rooneys class just because they thought someone better might come in for him, as like Arshavin, i dont think we have much chance of getting him but would still like us to put a offer in.

get a grip man

What event?

get a grip man

No Rooney has said he would have joined. He would have gone anywhere to leave Everton (once a Blue and all that.....) at that point.

FWIW the Rooney deal was genuine and it was a close call that he went to ManU (I was auditing at Old Trafford at the time of the signing).

aye, all well and good, never would have happened though!!

What event?

you're kidding right?  him signing for manu/leaving everton/us bidding is the event

You never made yourself clear at all. Rooney said he would have come to us as well.

Guest nufc9910

Not renewing , sat in level 7 , being moved to the corner.

Had to put up the same hopes and dreams year in year out but now thats it.

We seem to have the only billonaire that spends no money.