Euro 2008: Your team of the tournament..

Mr. Snrub

Boredom strikes, so yeah, what would be your team of the tournament?

Obviously can't have it in the main thread as shit would get mixed up.

I'd go for..

Buffon

Ramos Panucci  Pepe V. Bronckhorst

Xavi    Senna    Iniesta

Arshavin    Sneijder

Villa

Player of the tournament: Xavi

Casillas

Ramos    Chiellini  Pepe  Zhirkov

Senna

Xavi            Iniesta

Sneijder

Pavlyuchenko    Villa

Ramos was pretty poor tbh, if Titus Bramble had made some of his errors, people would have had a go.

Casillas

Anyukov Pepe Puyol Capdevilla

Iniesta Senna Xavi Silva

Arshavin Pavlyuchenko

He made a couple of errors but overall was very good on the ball.

At the end of the day, a defender's main purpose is to defend, and for the level he was playing at, he made too many errors, got beat by the winger too often and gave away too many silly fouls.

Best right back on the ball, but a real weak link worth exploiting.

Same goes for Bosingwa. I'd have Beye over those two every day of the week.

Cassillias

Ramos Pepe  Van Bron

Xavi Senna

Silva Sneijder  Iniesta

Villa Arshavin

Bench

Torres

Van de Vaart

Turan

Pavluchenko

Puyol

Really I want to just have the Spanish team as they are stupidly good.

Best player, Xavi has always been class so its no surprise he was awesome this year, Villa as well but if you watch La liga you would of know he would score for fun. Ballack played well Arshavin as well, but David Silva and Iniesta get it jointly for me, so much creativity they took the piss at times.

Ramos is so overrated. Decent going forward but a deeply average defender, he can get away with it at right back but if he came to the Premiership and played centre half as he does for Madrid he would be destroyed.

My picks:

Casillas

Anyukov Pepe Marchena Zhirkov

Iniesta Senna Sneijder Xavi

Arshavin

Villa

Villa had a mediocre tournament in my opinion. Excellent first game, flashes of brilliance second game but went downhill after that. His injury and the switch to the 451 probably helped Spain to step up a level.

Villa had a mediocre tournament in my opinion. Excellent first game, flashes of brilliance second game but went downhill after that. His injury and the switch to the 451 probably helped Spain to step up a level.

Contradicting yourself.

You said a few posts up a defenders main job is to defend, so by that logic a strikers main job is to score.. and Villa scored the most, so he was hardly mediocre.

Contradicting yourself.

You said a few posts up a defenders main job is to defend, so by that logic a strikers main job is to score.. and Villa scored the most, so he was hardly mediocre.

Better to score a goal a game in four games than it is to score a hattrick in one, one in another, then not score in two games.

Fact is that Villa didn't step it up in the latter stages.

What is the name of that Yugoslavian striker in Euro 2000?

Contradicting yourself.

Better to score a goal a game in four games than it is to score a hattrick in one, one in another, then not score in two games.

if that is the one who scored a hat-triack against spain then signed for valencia it's been bugging me for for a week or two

Contradicting yourself.

I thought Villa looked excellent throughout the tournament despite his goals - had real flair about him and contributed greatly to Spain's overall play. Your comment about Villa not stepping up in the latter stages seems a bit rich imo for somebody with Arshavin in their side who played blinders for two games then stumbled when it mattered most; Villa was unlucky with injury against the Russians and was far from their worst player and could do little against the Italians' 11 man behind the ball defence.

Contradicting yourself.

I thought Villa looked excellent throughout the tournament despite his goals - had real flair about him and contributed greatly to Spain's overall play. Your comment about Villa not stepping up in the latter stages seems a bit rich imo for somebody with Arshavin in their side who played blinders for two games then stumbled when it mattered most; Villa was unlucky with injury against the Russians and was far from their worst player and could do little against the Italians' 11 man behind the ball defence.

Arshavin stepped up against the Dutch.

Beyond the group stages, the contribution of Torres and fabregas bettered that of Villa, even though Villa is a good player. I just think a hattrick that was just as much down to his team has elevated Villa ahead of more deserving candidates for individual praise.

Well unfortunately its not all about defending is it? This tournament has showed fullback going forward alot in Ramos, Lahm and Zhirkov and not only defending.

If Germany had played a better defender there tonight, Spain might not have scored.

Lahm was a defensive disgrace the last two games.

Though he was not shite through the entire tourney, which imo earns him a place in an EC XI.

I'd say Capdevilla was very solid defensively and got forward well without overstretching himself. A faultless tournament.