Newcastle United................present tense.

Incognito

When we were bought out,i ,maybe stupidly,became enthused that the not so distant Champions League days,may return soon,especially with a billionaires dosh supporting that aim.Now ,virtually almost 12 months later,i fear for our Premiership place.What i'm saying is Mr. Ashley,your business acumen is undoubtedly superb,but football is different.You need to speculate to accumulate.I don't for one moment believe that you as owner have anything in your head but a nice fat profit in your wallet.

Well fellow Newcastle United fans,until he puts his money where his mouth may be!!I,for one although,300 miles away,will not even be buying an away jersey.I believe,at this moment,this owner of ours isn't right for us,successfully football wise.

Guest shearer_united

You need to speculate to accumulate.

All you'd accumulate is high expectations.

I understand what you are trying to say however know that with Mike Ashley's billions, we do not want to be another Chelsea.

But then again, not spending much will not do much either.

Why,we've gone backwards since he took the reins!!!

Wiped out the debt, revamped the youth setup, improved the scouting network, fired Sam.

We're not worldbeaters, but we're in a better place than we were before he took ov....

Oh shit, this thread will be 100 pages, huh?

I understand what you are trying to say however know that with Mike Ashley's billions, we do not want to be another Chelsea.

Why do we not want to be another Chelsea????

I guess so.....however no point improving the scouting network if you ain't gonna spend following it up...

Who said we won't?

A lot of people on here seem to be devastated that we've not got anyone in yet, which I don't understand.

I guess so.....however no point improving the scouting network if you ain't gonna spend following it up...

Apparently, the emphasis has been on youth. Finding malleable young players instead of established stars. With that in mind, how many players have been bought?

Zamblera

Kadar

Ngo Baheng

Tozer

Spear(?)

Others I figure I've missed.

To say nothing has happened is incorrect, I think. If you say we desperately need senior players to flesh out the squad, I'll agree with you. But it's a bit crazy to say that Ashley has done nothing.

Let me put it this way.

Completed Premiership Signings as of 06/30/2008

Arsenal: Aaron Ramsey

Bolton: Johan Elmander

Chelsea: Bosingwa

Fulham: Andranik Teymourian

Liverpool: Phillip Degen

Portsmouth: Glen Little

Tottenham: Luca Modric, Giovani Dos Santos

Dear God, we're one of the of the 13 clubs who haven't made a transfer yet!  :frantic:

Down with the new board! To think, we could have signed Glen fucking Little by now.  :angry:

Guest shearer_united

Why do we not want to be another Chelsea????

Well firstly, they're not a football club. They're solely run by money and only buying very experienced players, use them for a few years then sell em. And also they are in huge debt due to the ridiculous signings.

What we do want to become though is a club known for professional, fun-to-watch football and bringing success ofcourse.

Okay, so this thread is being made in.... June.

The transfer window doesn't open til July.

It then closes at the end of August.

By my reckoning that still gives us just over 2 months, and with Euro having finished now you'll start to see more action by everyone.

How about we actually wait til the transfer window opens first eh?  :idiot2:

Okay, so this thread is being made in.... June.

The transfer window doesn't open til July.

It then closes at the end of August.

By my reckoning that still gives us just over 2 months, and with Euro having finished now you'll start to see more action by everyone.

How about we actually wait til the transfer window opens first eh?  :idiot2:

Second that :thup:

And to the thread-owner: Yes, I simply can't get it, why the heck doesn't Ashley flash his wallet and tell everybody how much we can spend? Now, that would be real smart. mackems.gif  bah, why not follow up with another one...why not let everybody get to know who we are interested in, I can't get it. Would be a supersmart move! :iamatwat:

All is not right at the club. This Dennis Wise scenario is questionable, the overdrive on wage reductions, the season tickets increase, our sluggish progress in the transfer market (Arda & Arshavin could have been ours by now). These are just a few things I am concerned by, although there is no need to hit the panic button just yet .........

All is not right at the club. This Dennis Wise scenario is questionable, the overdrive on wage reductions, the season tickets increase, our sluggish progress in the transfer market (Arda & Arshavin could have been ours by now). These are just a few things I am concerned by, although there is no need to hit the panic button just yet .........

That is a huge statement to make considering

1) there has been no (to my knowledge) confirmation from the club we ARE ACTUALLY after these players 

2) even if we had bid before Euro 08, there is guarantee that the clubs would agree to the sale or that the players would have come here anyway - all the players in the tournament (that were thinking of moving) would be silly to move before a competition they can market themselves in.

Now the competition is over and the window open, we can now start to be more critical of the club.  If come the end of July, early August we have nothing, then "all is not right at the club" might be appropriate.

As others have said MA has done alot already - to the tune of about £250m.  I am sure he knows more than most we need players (and good ones at that) - no person is going to make that kind of investment and then let it go to pot (by lacl of further investment).  I am glad we are keeping our business to ourselves - all this negative press about our budget could just be one clever smoke screen to keep the player costs down.

Guest mobiius

Typical  impatient, negativeness that has  plagued us for years imo. The whole club set up has been restructured. There has been a lot of young un's brought in and the window doesn't open till the 1st of july ffs. Why are they going to broadcast who they are after when some other club can come in offer euro footie and we lose out again. If you believe the papers Tony Jimenez is in saudi(glass half empty) cos we want to sell a stake in the club.But then again Mauro Zarate's owners are in saudi(glass half full).

That is a huge statement to make considering

1) there has been no (to my knowledge) confirmation from the club we ARE ACTUALLY after these players 

2) even if we had bid before Euro 08, there is guarantee that the clubs would agree to the sale or that the players would have come here anyway - all the players in the tournament (that were thinking of moving) would be silly to move before a competition they can market themselves in.

Now the competition is over and the window open, we can now start to be more critical of the club.  If come the end of July, early August we have nothing, then "all is not right at the club" might be appropriate.

As others have said MA has done alot already - to the tune of about £250m.  I am sure he knows more than most we need players (and good ones at that) - no person is going to make that kind of investment and then let it go to pot (by lacl of further investment).  I am glad we are keeping our business to ourselves - all this negative press about our budget could just be one clever smoke screen to keep the player costs down.

quite funny, i've been very pessimistic about our signings (primarily 'cause i just think the owners should have made an early statement of intent and signed someone up before the euros) but then i was emailing a mate today and was thinking "fuck it, pre-season doesn't start til the middle of july, plenty of time"

just realised it's july tomorrow!!!  ha ha ha

not so pessimistic anymore for some reason, we've been making late signings and having shite starts to the season for years now, why should this year be any different?

Guest MaetihS

I want so much for us to be the next Chelsea. Its looming larger and larger that we will not get near Champ League in our lifetime. i want so much to have some silverware or get into the Champ League before the next 10 years but does not look like happening, more like end of many of our lifetimes optimistically. i dunno about you guys but i want us to be the next Chelsea.