Transfers few and far between all over

Guest Phil K

Guest Phil K

People are complaining about what little we've brought in.

Hell, my sympathies are with KK - little talent about, agent demands are ridiculous.

Even crap players only want to play for a handful of successful teams.

Sunderland have brought in less than KK, but it's across the board.

Nobody's splashing out.

Must be the credit crunch, eh ?

Guest neesy111

everyone is waiting for a few big transfers i suspect when:

barry, bentley, berbatov and that move

then those clubs will start the market

I suspect the last week of august to be mental for transfers

it is a little concerning, just incase we do panic buy and end up spunking away silly money on a player who isn't worth it / get held to ransom because we didn't pull our finger out earlier. hopefully all is in hand.... *crosses fingers*

I don't think it's a lack of funds for any of the sides I just don't think theres much talent available at a reasonable price.  Clubs are asking for 3x the players worth sometimes more alot of this is probably down to the Euros for example Arshavin previously probably valued at 12 is now on the market for no less than 21.5M. 

I also think this 3rd party ownership bollocks is having an effect too, clubs aren't willing to buy out the player from these 'Super Agents' as no doubt they'll want crazy money and are also scared that if they enter into an agreement with these agents they'll have no clue whether they are infringing on the rules as it's a new and very grey area. 

Another factor could be the money in what I consider Europe's 'lesser' leagues.  Look at the Russian League for example the clubs are arguably richer than our own or at least not far off it and the players that they produce are now staying on crazy wages leaving less talent for the bigger leagues such as our own and the talent that is willing to leave these leagues will want champions league football as they are used to it.

everyone is waiting for a few big transfers i suspect when:

barry, bentley, berbatov and that move

then those clubs will start the market

I suspect the last week of august to be mental for transfers

I think your right, once these players move in then the clubs will be more willing to sell. It seems a lot of the players we had targeted(speculation) had their values increased just because they played in the euros. This might change as the transfer window draws to a close too as the clubs might be wanting the cash more than they are letting on.

It does feel strange when you read comments like 'we've not bought anyone', when in fact we've brought in two players. The negativity says far more about the expectations than the reality. Not many players are moving at the moment, but that'll change.

One thing seems pretty clear - this Board will not pay an inflated transfer fee and inflated wages to persuade a player who, for whatever reason, is reluctant to move to Newcastle. Owen-style transfers simply haven't worked, and took the club nearer to bankruptcy and relegation than the European places, so I'm quite happy to see a new strategy.

Guest Phil K

I don't think it's a lack of funds for any of the sides I just don't think theres much talent available at a reasonable price.  Clubs are asking for 3x the players worth sometimes more

Absolutely correct.

Laughable thing is - it's the clubs doing that who are whining about being asked " silly money" for replacements !

But bottom line - it's agents.

How the hell the FA allow them such free reign makes me wonder if they themselves are getting a backhander.

One thing seems pretty clear - this Board will not pay an inflated transfer fee and inflated wages to persuade a player who, for whatever reason, is reluctant to move to Newcastle. Owen-style transfers simply haven't worked

Also spot on. Owen's ridiculous transfer fee plus obscene wages, coupled to the fact he'll walk for nothing next year (but get maybe a third of what he's on now elsewhere) gives the whole thing an even more bitter taste.

Considering half his time here has been on the sick, its substantially more irritating.

Here is wor Shays seasonal rant

Given keen to see new arrivals at Newcastle

Jul 23 2008 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

Shay Given

SHAY Given admits his concerns about Newcastle United’s small squad are growing as the Premier League kick-off draws nearer – but he remains hopeful of further recruitment in the next six weeks.

United’s long-serving goalkeeper has added his influential voice to calls from manager Kevin Keegan and Steve Harper for further signings before the start of the Premier League season, expressing the need for “a good few more” players to be added to their threadbare squad.

So far Newcastle have managed to broker deals for Argentina winger Jonas Gutierrez and Danny Guthrie, but with United suffering some prominent knock-backs the recruitment drive has struggled to gather any momentum. Former Arsenal winger Juan Antonio Reyes was mentioned as a possible target yesterday, but it is in defence where Newcastle desperately need to strengthen – with a centre-back and a left-back a priority for Keegan. For his part, Given is predicting that more business will be conducted in the run-up to the season, and he hopes that United will be at the forefront of any

moves in the market.“I don’t know how difficult it will be to get new players in because I don’t do the deals but so far there doesn’t seem to have been a lot of movement between clubs. I’m sure it will kick-off soon,” he said.

“We have got a couple of new lads in but I think we need a good few more. So it is a concern the longer it goes on. But there’s still to the end of August before the window closes.

“It leaves us short but I know the manager is working hard to get players in so I suppose we should comment really at the end of August.

“Then you can look further afield and see where you think the season is going to go.”

United’s encouraging form in the spring prompted talk of a push for Europe next season, but Given is reserving judgement until the transfer window closes in August. Barring a determination to improve on the mid-table finish last season, Given is refusing to set any targets until he sees the calibre of the players that Newcastle manager to bring in. “Our objectives will be to improve on last season,” he said.

“Newcastle United is a big club but we have to go out and show it every week and perform better and get up the league.

“It’s hard to say where we’re going to finish at the moment.

“We need more players before I can say that but if we get the right quality of players in we will be in a stronger position.”

While United clearly need to strengthen before the season starts, they are as well staffed as most of their rivals in certain departments.

Given’s position of goalkeeper is one such area – with the Republic of Ireland stopper’s return from injury setting up an interesting battle between him and Steve Harper for the number one jersey.

With young Dutch goalkeeper Tim Krul, who yesterday insisted his long-term future is at St James’s Park, also waiting in the wings it is one position where they do not need to recruit.

Guest shaun11177

Clubs are asking stupid amounts for average players and seeing if anyone bites, the buying clubs are hoping that having unsettled the player, the selling club will in the end have to sell and at a more reasonable value.

This is the case with Barry and Arshavin.

Everton finished 5th and 6th in previous seasons,are in UEFA Cup, need players but are having real difficulties getting anyone.

Still feel we can compete with any other side apart from the usual 4 suspects and possibly Man City who are clearly going to try and attract players by offering huge wages.

Just a little bit disappointed we didnt try for Crouch,maybe we did,maybe the player preferred Pompey for personal reasons or possibly we wont buy another striker until one of ours leaves.

Guest neesy111

Clubs are asking stupid amounts for average players and seeing if anyone bites, the buying clubs are hoping that having unsettled the player, the selling club will in the end have to sell and at a more reasonable value.

This is the case with Barry and Arshavin.

Everton finished 5th and 6th in previous seasons,are in UEFA Cup, need players but are having real difficulties getting anyone.

Still feel we can compete with any other side apart from the usual 4 suspects and possibly Man City who are clearly going to try and attract players by offering huge wages.

Just a little bit disappointed we didnt try for Crouch,maybe we did,maybe the player preferred Pompey for personal reasons or possibly we wont buy another striker until one of ours leaves.

we don't need another £10 million striker imo, he was over-priced  as well, + he wouldn't be a certain starter here anycase

One thing seems pretty clear - this Board will not pay an inflated transfer fee and inflated wages to persuade a player who, for whatever reason, is reluctant to move to Newcastle. Owen-style transfers simply haven't worked

Also spot on. Owen's ridiculous transfer fee plus obscene wages, coupled to the fact he'll walk for nothing next year (but get maybe a third of what he's on now elsewhere) gives the whole thing an even more bitter taste.

Considering half his time here has been on the sick, its substantially more irritating.

Owen was the worst example, but there have been others like Parker, Emre, Luque, and to an extent Martins. You wonder whether we'd have got just a good a player for half the price and half the salary, if we'd looked at players who may not have had the same reputations, but who were up and coming.

Guest neesy111

that's been our problem, we've always gone for players with reputation not over skill

the problem with too many newcastle fan's is they want players they've heard of.  I can bet that 1/2 of the players arsenal sign didn't have a big reputation, but that doesn't matter for them.

Owen was the worst example, but there have been others like Parker, Emre, Luque, and to an extent Martins. You wonder whether we'd have got just a good a player for half the price and half the salary, if we'd looked at players who may not have had the same reputations, but who were up and coming.

Owen wasn't overpriced at all.

Not all up and coming players achieve their potential, yet you can pay as much of a premium for that potential as you do for a ready made player, and of course if they do reach that potential they will demand a larger salary anyway or they'll be off. It's not the obviously better solution you suggest, and without the right people with a good ability to select those up and coming players it may well cost you more in the long run.

Guest neesy111

Not all up and coming players achieve their potential, yet you can pay as much of a premium for that potential as you do for a ready made player, and of course if they do reach that potential they will demand a larger salary anyway or they'll be off. It's not the obviously better solution you suggest, and without the right people with a good ability to select those up and coming players it may well cost you more in the long run.

yes he was

real madrid made a 8 million profit in 1 season on him

yes he was

neesy, howay man, think about it a bit - UV's right, for the age and pedigree of owen his price was "right", it was the price real got him for that was a joke

carrick = 18m

bent = 17m

owen = ????

owen was only 26 when he signed as well

Guest neesy111

yes he was

neesy, howay man, think about it a bit - UV's right, for the age and pedigree of owen his price was "right", it was the price real got him for that was a joke

carrick = 18m

bent = 17m

owen = ????

remember we turned down robbie keane for 8 million because SOUNESS said he wasn't a PROPER player ffs, that other 8 million could of been spent on another CB or another striker i.e. anelka at the time

Guest neesy111

aye, gutted we didn't sign robbie keane when we had the chance, consistent player, similar style to owen / bellamy, not a managers nightmare, i think he'd have done well here. did the £8m end up on boumsong in the end?>

no it was when we signed owen and luque

souness wanted boa motre and anelka for 6 million each

we're offered keane for 8 million

shepherd bought owen and luque for 27 million

15 million difference, and it almost bankrupted us in the end

aye, gutted we didn't sign robbie keane when we had the chance, consistent player, similar style to owen / bellamy, not a managers nightmare, i think he'd have done well here. did the £8m end up on boumsong in the end?>

Aye, Anelka had just gone to Fener for £7m 6 months earlier and went to Bolton a year later for £8m. We'd obviously have got him for £6m easy.

There was no evidence whatsoever he was for sale at any price at that time, and if he was it would have been more like £12m.

and it almost bankrupted us in the end

*sigh* you really are a journalist's dream.

Guest neesy111

Aye, Anelka had just gone to Fener for £7m 6 months earlier and went to Bolton a year later for £8m. We'd obviously have got him for £6m easy.

There was no evidence whatsoever he was for sale at any price at that time, and if he was it would have been more like £12m.

and it almost bankrupted us in the end

*sigh* you really are a journalist's dream.

well it did, the club had to payback a 20 million overdraft this season because of those 2 transfers

yes he was

carrick = 18m

bent = 17m

owen = ????

Those aren't great comparisons, because Bent was also way over-priced, and Carrick came at a premium as well because Spurs didn't want to sell.

We're not the only ones to go down this road, but that doesn't mean it's not a mistake.

shepherd bought owen and luque for 27 million

15 million difference, and it almost bankrupted us in the end

Nope, got the facts wrong I'm afraid.

We offered £3.3m for Boa Morte. Fulham wanted £4.3m. Souness wanted the deal but Freddie thought it was too much to pay. Boa Morte wanted to join but we didn't up our offer. Then we get a fax from Depo offering us Luque, who Freddie decided would be higher profile than Boa Morte, so we went for him instead.

We asked Fener about Anelka and were told he wasn't for sale. No idea where you've plucked the £6m figures from.