Keegan on transfers

Guest hindu times

15 would class him as a young player wouldn't it?

I don't know what calibre I was expecting, to tell the truth. We've got little or nothing to offer players as we've no Europe, we haven't been going anywhere for the last few years and we have a reputation for being very unstable. I was hoping for some promising players and a surprise or two along the way.

I don't really see your point, why list those players if you don't mean 'like that'? Why suggest those two aren't good enough if you accept you know nothing of them?

Basically it sounds to me exactly like you wanted 'names' tbh.

dude, how many times do i have to say i'm by no means saying they're not good enough before you actually grasp it? 

15 would indeed class spear as young, you think KK will put a 15-16 year old anywhere near the squad?  really?

'names' are names for a reason mate, it's usually because they're very good footballers...i know you think i'm unrealistic but we're a much better prospect than a lot of you make us out to be, we can fucking turn this around quickly and in the right way (i.e. spend money on the right players) but we have to act and spend some money on players & wages

your attitude reminds me of a battered wife or something, we've had a few seasons of shit so we have to accept more of it, what's the alternative?

fuck that, we don't, but we appear to be happy enough to do so for no other reason (that i can see) than fat freds not in charge anymore...

Sounds easy enough, you should let them know.

A battered wife. :lol:

he he, thought you'd like that!

Our squad lacks depths and is filled with many players who are injury prone, aging, or lack the desired ability to be regular starters. Theres players with potential there and some with proven class.

Surely its best to build on the depth first, pad the squad out with players that Keegan himself has ranted on about, before we go playing fancy fuckers with the money.

It's all... part of the plan.  :joker:

PS:

no no, spiderman might be ace mate, hope he is, i'm just saying that unless he discovers some form that appears to have hitherto gone unnoticed in his career then he's gonna be steady rather than spectacular right?

You'd not be happy with Arshavin either then I take it?

arshavin?  i wouldn't judge him like i've not judged spiderman yet because all i've seen of him was the euros - the fact that he'd cost 24m or something doesn't make him good

in my opinion arshavin is a player of the moment due to the euro's, i think for the money being talked about you could go and convince werder to sell diego (and the player to come with wages) or any number of other players who have scored goals and made assists consistently at the top level

arshavin is a gamble at that price, a huge one

Fair enough. I just don't think anyone would be complaining if we got him, for the very reasons I've mentioned (huge fee, current popular name etc). Nobody would give a monkeys about your perfectly valid concerns.

The point is I believe we have a major struggle on to buy players who we can attract here, who are not demanding ridiculous fees and wages, will fit into the current and planned team/system without a problem and yet can satisfy the fans' desire to see the best footballers in the world lighting up SJP. It's just not that easy, because we're not the draw we were. If it's right that the club is seeking to get things back on a more even keel then I find that admirable, especially considering we're in this position exactly because we've thrown large money at shite and got nothing in return.

Put it this way, if we could bin Smith and Duff from the wage bill I'm sure that would free up money for a really good player (one who we could trust Keegan to find, unlike Souness, Roeder and Allardyce). Sadly I don't think anybody wants them so we're stuck.

Guest neesy111

PS:

no no, spiderman might be ace mate, hope he is, i'm just saying that unless he discovers some form that appears to have hitherto gone unnoticed in his career then he's gonna be steady rather than spectacular right?

arshavin?  i wouldn't judge him like i've not judged spiderman yet because all i've seen of him was the euros - the fact that he'd cost 24m or something doesn't make him good

in my opinion arshavin is a player of the moment due to the euro's, i think for the money being talked about you could go and convince werder to sell diego (and the player to come with wages) or any number of other players who have scored goals and made assists consistently at the top level

Fair enough. I just don't think anyone would be complaining if we got him, for the very reasons I've mentioned (huge fee, current popular name etc). Nobody would give a monkeys about your perfectly valid concerns.

The point is I believe we have a major struggle on to buy players who we can attract here, who are not demanding ridiculous fees and wages, will fit into the current and planned team/system without a problem and yet can satisfy the fans' desire to see the best footballers in the world lighting up SJP. It's just not that easy, because we're not the draw we were. If it's right that the club is seeking to get things back on a more even keel then I find that admirable, especially considering we're in this position exactly because we've thrown large money at shite and got nothing in return.

Put it this way, if we could bin Smith and Duff from the wage bill I'm sure that would free up money for a really good player (one who we could trust Keegan to find, unlike Souness, Roeder and Allardyce). Sadly I don't think anybody wants them so we're stuck.

yes, smith and duff are taking home 6 million + a year in wages ffs, if and when we get rid of them there will be a big surplus in a our wage budget.

this is and still is our biggest problem the wage bill

PS:

you're probably right about a lot of things there - i for one am very, very disappointed that we'll be seeing duff & smith again next season (although i guess we'll see an improvement in both) as it would have cleared some wage bill room yeah, assuming that IS a problem

dave, i just don't believe that had we rated turan (as an example) before or even after the euros he wouldn't have come - even if we had to pay 15m for him as long as he's not on owen style wages (how much can a 21 year old be on at a financially crippled turkish club?) there's no issue for me...you have to pay for players sometimes

the stuff with spiderman & coloccini lend credence to this - they want to come to us for the "deal of their lives", that doesn't have to be 70k a week in a lot of cases but we're gonna have to be willing to pay the fees where we need to

if coloccini is willing to come to us given the clubs he's played for & and his international pedigree what makes you so sure others WON'T?

PS:

you're probably right about a lot of things there - i for one am very, very disappointed that we'll be seeing duff & smith again next season (although i guess we'll see an improvement in both) as it would have cleared some wage bill room yeah, assuming that IS a problem

dave, i just don't believe that had we rated turan (as an example) before or even after the euros he wouldn't have come - even if we had to pay 15m for him as long as he's not on owen style wages (how much can a 21 year old be on at a financially crippled turkish club?) there's no issue for me...you have to pay for players sometimes

the stuff with spiderman & coloccini lend credence to this - they want to come to us for the "deal of their lives", that doesn't have to be 70k a week in a lot of cases but we're gonna have to be willing to pay the fees where we need to

if coloccini is willing to come to us given the clubs he's played for & and his international pedigree what makes you so sure others WON'T?

Turan is probably the best example you could have named, so I can't disagree there. We were linked before the Euros (might be total bollocks though, who knows) and I think we could have got him. But a good tournament and your agent suddely decides Newcastle aren't big enough, aiming higher and wanting more cash. Same for the selling club. So if we wanted him we certainly should have got it tied up. Then again, would his club have entertained a deal, hoping he had a storming Euros? Who knows. :dontknow:

As regards your final question, given that the transfer window is still open, I'd like to ask you the same. ;)

PS:

Turan is probably the best example you could have named, so I can't disagree there. We were linked before the Euros (might be total bollocks though, who knows) and I think we could have got him. But a good tournament and your agent suddely decides Newcastle aren't big enough, aiming higher and wanting more cash. Same for the selling club. So if we wanted him we certainly should have got it tied up. Then again, would his club have entertained a deal, hoping he had a storming Euros? Who knows. :dontknow:

As regards your final question, given that the transfer window is still open, I'd like to ask you the same. ;)

see no reason we couldn't go back for turan, his euros weren't THAT good and there doesn't appear to be a path getting beaten to sign him....

as for your question back to me it doesn't quite work dave, i've just been saying the players would come if we agree fees with clubs and offer them decent/good wages...you're saying our stock has fallen so far they wouldn't come unless we pay them mega wages aren't you?

coloccini & spiderman blow this theory out of the water - spain, turkey & italy all allegedly pay a lot less than the EPL these days so i see no foundation for the belief they'd only come for crazy money

my problem is we haven't yet managed to combine reaching a fee with a club and an agreement with a player that's of PROVEN quality

PS:

see no reason we couldn't go back for turan, his euros weren't THAT good and there doesn't appear to be a path getting beaten to sign him....

as for your question back to me it doesn't quite work dave, i've just been saying the players would come if we agree fees with clubs and offer them decent/good wages...you're saying our stock has fallen so far they wouldn't come unless we pay them mega wages aren't you?

coloccini & spiderman blow this theory out of the water - spain, turkey & italy all allegedly pay a lot less than the EPL these days so i see no foundation for the belief they'd only come for crazy money

my problem is we haven't yet managed to combine reaching a fee with a club and an agreement with a player that's of PROVEN quality

My feeling is the likes of Turan are still in the frame.

Guest neesy111

i certainly agree that too many of our fan's under estimate the quality we have in our squad.  That unbeaten run came despite 2-3 players still not performing to what was required i.e. butt, geremi, viduka

The question back was meant to mean 'how do you know other good players aren't on the way'?

:)

oh aye i know that and as i hit post and realised i hadn't made myself clear:

"my problem is we haven't yet managed to combine reaching a fee with a club and an agreement with a player that's of PROVEN quality which leads me to believe we won't do so during the window"

bear in mind imho we need 3 more first teamers (i'm counting spiderman to make 4 by the way, guthrie as young) as an absolute bare minimum for next season dave, so if we end up with coloccini paid for and no-one else i'll consider that a total failure, if you see what i mean?

i've said all along i might be wrong, and the truth might be that the club are negotiating hard with the intent of making sure we're not being fleeced for players - that will only be a good policy if they succeed, if they fail then we all suffer don't we?

PS:

strangely enough, given what i've been writing recently, so do i

The question back was meant to mean 'how do you know other good players aren't on the way'?

"my problem is we haven't yet managed to combine reaching a fee with a club and an agreement with a player that's of PROVEN quality which leads me to believe we won't do so during the window"

bear in mind imho we need 3 more first teamers (i'm counting spiderman to make 4 by the way, guthrie as young) as an absolute bare minimum for next season dave, so if we end up with coloccini paid for and no-one else i'll consider that a total failure, if you see what i mean?

i've said all along i might be wrong, and the truth might be that the club are negotiating hard with the intent of making sure we're not being fleeced for players - that will only be a good policy if they succeed, if they fail then we all suffer don't we?

I'd consider that scenario failure too. People seem to think I won't, for some reason.

I'd consider that scenario failure too. People seem to think I won't, for some reason.

same way they think people like me will only be happy with 100m spend - too many extremes on this forum and not enough reading of what's posted

Guest taps01

So do I.

Turan and Coloccini would make us a lot stronger.

So do I.

Turan and Coloccini would make us a lot stronger.

Imagine a wing combo of Turan/Jonas. Pace, energy, ability, eye for goal, alternating sides throughout the match; och - it'd the business. :smitten:

(Yes, i already know that Jonas is a mint player, i don't need to have seen him play ever before, bitches)

Keegan new world interview (4th August):

- Expects we'll get another 2 players of the quality of Jonas and Guthrie, but hopefully 3. Didn't mention younger players in this interview.

- Confident if everyone is fit, that 2 or 3 additions will give us a strong enough squad.

- Hopes to have close to a full team out by the time Valencia come over on Saturday.

- Highlights that (much like Dave's thread earlier), they haven't been ABLE to do much work with formations and shape and finishing, because there have been too many injuries.

- Says that James Milner and Alan Smith beating him and Terry Mac and golf has hit Terry Mac hard, because he's "nearly a pensioner"  :lol:

All in all, he looks fairly upbeat.

Kev! news flash you need about 6 Pal

Fucking hell they must be shite at golf if those two no marks beat them!

Keegan new world interview (4th August):

- Expects we'll get another 2 players of the quality of Jonas and Guthrie, but hopefully 3. Didn't mention younger players in this interview.

- Confident if everyone is fit, that 2 or 3 additions will give us a strong enough squad.

- Hopes to have close to a full team out by the time Valencia come over on Saturday.

- Highlights that (much like Dave's thread earlier), they haven't been ABLE to do much work with formations and shape and finishing, because there have been too many injuries.

- Says that James Milner and Alan Smith beating him and Terry Mac and golf has hit Terry Mac hard, because he's "nearly a pensioner"  :lol:

All in all, he looks fairly upbeat.

Kev! news flash you need about 6 Pal

Don't think we do tbh. Just need an attacking midfielder, striker and some fullback cover and were pretty much sorted.

I can see Alan Smith & Milner being good at golf actually, there's little movement involved and it's not a team game.

With a reasonably fit squad, an extra 2 or 3 signings of the calibre of Jonas would be alright I think, depending on the positions of the players being brought in of course.