Title Chances

Shearer9
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's easy to forget that that although they had a suspect manager, injuries to important players and some internal unrest, Chelsea came withing 2 points of winning the league.  With Scolari now in charge and with their new signings they will be even better than last year.

Added to that ManU relied a lot on Ronaldo and he's not going to repeat last years performance, so they need others to contribute more or they will slip behind Chelsea.

By the same token Arsenal only finished four points off the pace and for a long period were looking nailed on for the title. Everyone seems to forget them.

Yeah very true, although I'm far from convinced they've progressed over the summer in the way Chelsea have.

you can put a multiples bet on at betfair where you can have man utd or chelsea, then birmingham or QPR etc.

ANYONE TEMPTED BUT AINT SIGNED UP YET YOU CAN PM ME FOR MY REFER AND PAY CODE.

(i'll post up  winnings if someone wants an example)

• 6 months later...

Interesting to see where people stand on this one now, especially after Scolari's sacking.  Still going with Man Utd but I think Liverpool will have a close second.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Villa finish third at this point.

Villa are actually really interesting to me, I think it's a case of the sum being much greater than the parts.  Of the players that play regularly, this is how I'd classify them in a theoretical top 4 team.

Top 4 Worthy: Young, Agbonlahor, Barry

Borderline Top 4: Laursen, Bouma, Carew Friedel (age is the only reason I put him here)

Not top 4 material: Everyone else. 

I think Everton probably has a better squad but Villa will finish well above Everton because O'Neill has it figured out and knows how to use speed and counter attacks.  He also knows how to give each player on the pitch a definite role that contributes to an overall victory, I really wonder what he could do with a bit more money there. 

Interesting to see where people stand on this one now, especially after Scolari's sacking.  Still going with Man Utd but I think Liverpool will have a close second.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Villa finish third at this point.

Villa are actually really interesting to me, I think it's a case of the sum being much greater than the parts.  Of the players that play regularly, this is how I'd classify them in a theoretical top 4 team.

Top 4 Worthy: Young, Agbonlahor, Barry

Borderline Top 4: Laursen, Bouma, Carew Friedel (age is the only reason I put him here)

Not top 4 material: Everyone else. 

I think Everton probably has a better squad but Villa will finish well above Everton because O'Neill has it figured out and knows how to use speed and counter attacks.  He also knows how to give each player on the pitch a definite role that contributes to an overall victory, I really wonder what he could do with a bit more money there. 

Agree with your assessment - As for Villa, that is why I rate MON as an excellent manager...he has obviously learned from Clough that a proper TEAM will always beat a team of top individuals in a long contest like the League. If you look at most of Clough's sides, they were better as a unit than when dissected individually..people like John McGovern were basically journeymen-workers, but Clough took him to every club he managed. That isn't to say he didn't have some top players in his sides - the likes of Roy McFarland and Archie Gemmill(Derby)Trevor Francis and Peter Shilton(Forest), were Internationals, but he believed in a good 'mix'of players.

O'Neill has done likewise at Villa and whilst it may be a bit soon for them to finish in Top 4, I wouldn't rule it out.

Don't think there's such a thing as a 'top 4 player', by definition all of Villa's players would be exactly that if they finished there. All there are are top 4 teams, and Villa are certainly one of those at the moment.

Even Man Utd have players like Brown, O'Shea, Park and Fletcher that you might not consider  'top 4 players', but they're going to run away with the title by a mile.

You just need a balanced, dynamic team - and that is exactly what O'Neil is building.

Don't think there's such a thing as a 'top 4 player', by definition all of Villa's players would be exactly that if they finished there. All there are are top 4 teams, and Villa are certainly one of those at the moment.

Even Man Utd have players like Brown, O'Shea, Park and Fletcher that you might not consider  'top 4 players', but they're going to run away with the title by a mile.

You just need a balanced, dynamic team - and that is exactly what O'Neil is building.

Spot on. :) Look at us under SBR.