Have we been in such a mess even before a ball is kicked before ?

Guest Phil K

Guest Sniffer

I doubt if keegan will be here in 3 years.

also I have my doubts that Keegan is the man to develop the youngsters we seem to be stocking up on. He's more of this is the moment rather than looking a few years down the line.

What evidence have you got of that, given: our current signings, our alleged transfer targets, and given that he's agreed to work alongside a brand new youth recruitment team? This isn't 1996, why do some people have this idea that it's exactly the same manager? He's not stupid, man. The game's changed and the man has changed - the whole bloody football club has changed entirely ffs. It's like when people say stuff like "ah, this signing is clearly our Rob Lee" "this must be our new Albert", and whatnot. It's just such a daft analogy.

It's an opinion. I have no evidence that he won't be here. Just as you have none that he will be here. It's an opinion.

if you think everything in the garden is rosey and we'll be find when everyone is fit, then take you're freakin head out of the sand cos I'll bet anything you like that we'll be in a full fit squad position extremely infrequently this season and currently  our backups are nowhere near the required standard.

No-one is saying that.

The rest of the above is true but more or less common sense.

TBF I think a few were implying that.

Phil may be a negative b****** but I think he has a point to a certain degree, if Colo signs, then the defence is indeed pretty strong, best we've had in a while. But the rest of the squad has huge question marks about it. First the midfield, lack of numbers and even when fully fit a lack of quality. Up front when fully fit we've not got a problem, but how often are all 3 going to be fully fit ? and if they aren't and we have to dip into our back ups, then this pre-season must surely have proved that we are absolutely f***ed.

His words may have been strong and have provoked the usual responses you get on here but if you think everything in the garden is rosey and we'll be find when everyone is fit, then take you're freakin head out of the sand cos I'll bet anything you like that we'll be in a full fit squad position extremely infrequently this season and currently  our backups are nowhere near the required standard.

They've really f***ed up this pre-season IMO, 13 days to go now and the squad is nowhere near where it should be at. And of course when (and I still believe it is when and not if, which is probably a bit of this blind faith) we fill out the squad and add a bit of quality, we'll have everyone posting that "the squad needs time to bed in", ofcorse it does if you leave everything to the last minute.

My fears over this summer is not having a ready squad for the 1st game of the season. The lack of transfer activity in the early stages is as much to blame as the injuries. Instead of hitting the ground running, we will be playing catchup, again, as per fuking usual, but its no surprise, it really isn't.

Absolutely TT, you and I and a few others we're banging on about this early close season, but we were shouted down as being impatient :(

I doubt if keegan will be here in 3 years.

also I have my doubts that Keegan is the man to develop the youngsters we seem to be stocking up on. He's more of this is the moment rather than looking a few years down the line.

What evidence have you got of that, given: our current signings, our alleged transfer targets, and given that he's agreed to work alongside a brand new youth recruitment team? This isn't 1996, why do some people have this idea that it's exactly the same manager? He's not stupid, man. The game's changed and the man has changed - the whole bloody football club has changed entirely ffs. It's like when people say stuff like "ah, this signing is clearly our Rob Lee" "this must be our new Albert", and whatnot. It's just such a daft analogy.

It's an opinion. I have no evidence that he won't be here. Just as you have none that he will be here. It's an opinion.

Pretty obvious i was talking about your second point wasn't it? :undecided: Sorry, i should have cut/bolded.

Why do you think they're leaving signing late, afar?

I have no idea, but  what ever reason it is makes very little sense to me.

Keegan's comments about us being in for 'players that other top clubs are in for' suggest we're having to play the waiting game.

I'd rather us wait to try and get in another one or two players of the calibre of Coloccini rather than rushing out and signing up the likes of Malbranque and Diouf just to get players through the door early, I'm sure the club have fallback options if those players don't come off.

Phil may be a negative b****** but I think he has a point to a certain degree, if Colo signs, then the defence is indeed pretty strong, best we've had in a while. But the rest of the squad has huge question marks about it. First the midfield, lack of numbers and even when fully fit a lack of quality. Up front when fully fit we've not got a problem, but how often are all 3 going to be fully fit ? and if they aren't and we have to dip into our back ups, then this pre-season must surely have proved that we are absolutely f***ed.

His words may have been strong and have provoked the usual responses you get on here but if you think everything in the garden is rosey and we'll be find when everyone is fit, then take you're freakin head out of the sand cos I'll bet anything you like that we'll be in a full fit squad position extremely infrequently this season and currently  our backups are nowhere near the required standard.

They've really f***ed up this pre-season IMO, 13 days to go now and the squad is nowhere near where it should be at. And of course when (and I still believe it is when and not if, which is probably a bit of this blind faith) we fill out the squad and add a bit of quality, we'll have everyone posting that "the squad needs time to bed in", ofcorse it does if you leave everything to the last minute.

My fears over this summer is not having a ready squad for the 1st game of the season. The lack of transfer activity in the early stages is as much to blame as the injuries. Instead of hitting the ground running, we will be playing catchup, again, as per fuking usual, but its no surprise, it really isn't.

Absolutely TT, you and I and a few others we're banging on about this early close season, but we were shouted down as being impatient :(

Stop crying.

There was no early business supposedly because of the Euros - now time is running out imo - maybe we should have gambled on a couple of players pre Euros.

I'd rather not take risks if we can get away with them, even if it means leaving signings late in the window.

Guest BooBoo

If we could just bring in an exciting midfielder who could get the fans out their seats, then i'd feel a lot more confident. Creative wise, our team still looks mediocre.

Quite often a lot of transfers are rushed through on the last day. It's annoying not to have all your players in for the start of the season but it's nothing new.

If we could just bring in an exciting midfielder who could get the fans out their seats, then i'd feel a lot more confident. Creative wise, our team still looks mediocre.

I think we need two creative midfielders. If we get one what happens if he gets injured? If we get two an opposition team will find it more difficult to mark our creative players out of a game.

It's funny how our two best transfers last year were signed on the last day of the window. There's a wee glimmer of potential positivity and 'oh yeah, i suppose'-ness for the doom-mongers re: signings.

It's funny how our two best transfers last year were signed on the last day of the window. There's a wee glimmer of potential positivity and 'oh yeah, i suppose'-ness for the doom-mongers re: signings.

True but the one before that was Sibierski and Bernard - it can work but it can fail (soz).

that's because some people were kicking off about a lack of signings before the transfer window had opened.

We still have plenty of time to make more signings.  Yes, it's close to start of season and we do need lots more players... by now I would have expected to have had 1 or 2 more faces in, but for all we know another 3 players may get signed in the next 2 weeks and suddenly its all looking better.

I still reserve judgement on the transfer window for when it shuts, but so far I'm happy with Bassong, Guthrie, Guiterrez and Coloccini (assuming the deal will be done soon).

I think we need two creative midfielders. If we get one what happens if he gets injured? If we get two an opposition team will find it more difficult to mark our creative players out of a game.

Exactly, though I think Barton is being thought of perhaps as one of said midfielders.

I don't remember who it was, but someone posted a prediction for the summer and beggining of the season way back in June and so far things have gone exactly as predicted (including signing Guthrie).

Things are made worse by the rough start and the injuries, but they have just made a mess of the transfer window so far IMO.  Still some time to set things right, but it isn't looking good. 

Stop crying.

Its a crying shame we were right to have concern, i know that will sting a lot of people. Last month of the window, half a team, season kicks off in less than two weeks, its not looking good, lets hope another Fab C type (quality) is around the corner in the positions we need (striker & AMC) then we could be in for an interesting season ahead. But thats a massive asking considering what has happened (or not) so far.

I said that because he seems to moan about the people who didn't entirely agree with his stance in almost every post he makes. I'm not talking about the actual points he is making at the moment.

Villa, Everton, Blackburn, Boro etc have also been very quiet this Summer.

All had (and probably still have) better squads.

I knew that was coming. I knew it.

I wasn't comparing them to us, was just saying we're not the only club who've not done a great deal so this Summer.

afar moaning that other people aren't moaning enough.

You couldn't make it up.

The amount of time some of our fans spend on self pity and panicking is ridiculous.  We've had a few bad games pre-season but when you look at the reasons then it's no big deal.  We've got enough players out to make a better 11 than the one we're fielding at the minute but I bet if we were playing competitive games then we'd have at least half of the injured playing.  Keegan has said that he's not risking players and why should he?

As far as I'm concerned we have a better defence than last season, we've got a better midfield and the same front line which was scoring goals when they had to at the back end of last season.

Some people are looking at results of friendlies and acting as if we're losing points, get a grip, we're playing for match fitness and those fit enough are gaining that.

I’d love to see another forward come in who can offer something different to those that we already have and I’d love to see creativity brought into the centre of midfield and I’m sure they will.

The moaners really need to get a grip because you look daft, we’ve brought in 2 internationals (when the second signs) who play for one of the top countries in world football and we’ve brought in a promising kid who will either develop and become a good player or will act as cover.  We’ve also brought in Bassong who looks like he’s got something about him and at worst will add valuable cover in defence.

Some of our fans act like spoiled kids who don’t get what they want at Christmas.