Have we been in such a mess even before a ball is kicked before ?

Guest Phil K

True, we have:

The best defence we've had for ages (if a little short of cover)

The best manager we've had for ages

The best owner we could hope for (ignoring the constant tabloid nonsense)

And importantly, we haven't been as inactive in the transfer market as everyone seems to be saying, in fact we have been busy relative to a lot of other clubs.

Yes, this season will be difficult and we may well finish mid-table again... but we are moving in the right direction. If you expect it to happen overnight you're in for a shock. 5 years of decline can't be corrected in one summer.

True, we have:

The best defence we've had for ages (if a little short of cover)

The best manager we've had for ages

The best owner we could hope for (ignoring the constant tabloid nonsense)

And importantly, we haven't been as inactive in the transfer market as everyone seems to be saying, in fact we have been busy relative to a lot of other clubs.

Yes, this season will be difficult and we may well finish mid-table again... but we are moving in the right direction. If you expect it to happen over

night you're in for a shock. 5 years of decline can't be corrected in one summer.

:thup:

Guest optimistic nit

were not really in that much of a mess. pre season has shown us what we already knew, and its up to keegan and ashley to do something about it. we knew that if we had injuries in the strikers department that we would be fucked, and we knew that we needed a creative midfielder.

if martins and owen play 38 league games next year we could finish top 6, even without any more signings (assuming we get colloccini). when we can say that sentance minus the first 10 words then we will have had a good transfer window.

if we sign a good attacking mid as well as a striker we will be as good as any team outside the top 4.

No far from it..instead of signing has beings we are getting players in who are young and hungry to succeed,not just pick up there huge wage packets!We have our first good manager since Sir Bob but people will have to be patient.Thanks to the likes of  shite managers we have had  esp Souness,there is alot of rebuilding to be done from top to bottom and we are really only getting underway.

No far from it..instead of signing has beings we are getting players in who are young and hungry to succeed,not just pick up there huge wage packets!We have our first good manager since Sir Bob but people will have to be patient.Thanks to the likes of  shite managers we have had  esp Souness,there is alot of rebuilding to be done from top to bottom and we are really only getting underway.

Well said.

I am worried aswell after 3 consectutive defeats by shit teams, but you have to look who is'nt playing !

Beye

Owen

Martins

Viduka

Faye

Butt

Barton

N'Zogbia ( against Mallorca )

Given

Gutierrez

Thats a big list for a squad our of size

No far from it..instead of signing has beings we are getting players in who are young and hungry to succeed,not just pick up there huge wage packets!

The shift in emphasis in the club's buying strategy has to be welcomed for the longer term, aye, but there's no guarantee it will yield us a squad of world class players. And I would bet that the senior players are still coining it in and will be doing so for eons - Newcastle's not the most attractive place for top flight footballers to sign for, so hence we always end up paying out extra wedge to sign 'em and keep 'em here.

we have our first good manager since Sir Bob but people will have to be patient.

Patience: not something the average NUFC fan can be accused of having a lot of, really. I mean, people may cite the case that the wait for a meaningful trophy has been that long, the majority of us can't even remember it...and they may equate that with "patience" but honestly, how much "patience" have we shown in recent years? Not a lot, tbh. How many managers have come and gone? How many players have passed through the gates of SJP in both directions?

Thanks to the likes of  shite managers we have had  esp Souness,there is alot of rebuilding to be done from top to bottom and we are really only getting underway.

To be blunt, it feels like we've been constantly rebuilding from top to bottom for an entire fucking lifetime. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is heartily sick of waiting and being told that this season will be "a transitional one" :angry:

Guest neesy111

i think people should take more a verdict when they see most of missing players in the 2 friendlies this week against V.Good opposition

But have you lost to a non-league side, a league 2 side and a league 1 side?

No but are on a par with Man U so we should beat everybody but them and draw with them.

Did you know, Watford have lost to all of these, drawn with another league 2 side and another league 1 side too. Plus we've lost 4 strikers, without any form of replacement. It's going to be great next season.

Even if Colocinni is our last signing we have enough IF everyone is fit, even the bench would not be to bad. Okay maybe a stretch to rely on Bassong and Colocinni together in their first season in the The Prem but it could work and worth a look, but you can get we will sign more players so all is not lost, its time to try and be a little bit more positive about things.

-------------Given

Beye-Coloccini-Bassong-Enrique

--------------Faye

---Guthrie------------Zoggy

-------------Jonas

------Owen----------Oba

But have you lost to a non-league side, a league 2 side and a league 1 side?

No but are on a par with Man U so we should beat everybody but them and draw with them.

Did you know, Watford have lost to all of these, drawn with another league 2 side and another league 1 side too. Plus we've lost 4 strikers, without any form of replacement. It's going to be great next season.

Nice, you need Elton back.  He'd just play rocketman and you wouldnt need any strikers.

To be blunt, it feels like we've been constantly rebuilding from top to bottom for an entire f***ing lifetime. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is heartily sick of waiting and being told that this season will be "a transitional one" :angry:

choose another club then mate.

to be one of the top clubs in england, or even the world is a privelage. you could be in scunthorpe :p

I just thought of a good point i think.....

we are currently stuck in a reality. the "reality" has been well documented.

As a supporter, what now? Should we wallow in the past? or do we live up to every stereo-type the "media" has on us?

This forum makes me think the stereo-type is not too far off re: expectation

we are 3-5 years away from challenging top 4

are YOU patient enough to wait?

in Keegan i trust

Guest optimistic nit

I just thought of a good point i think.....

we are currently stuck in a reality. the "reality" has been well documented.

As a supporter, what now? Should we wallow in the past? or do we live up to every stereo-type the "media" has on us?

This forum makes me think the stereo-type is not too far off re: expectation

we are 3-5 years away from challenging top 4

are YOU patient enough to wait?

in Keegan i trust

:icon_salut:

Guest Sniffer

I doubt if keegan will be here in 3 years.

also I have my doubts that Keegan is the man to develop the youngsters we seem to be stocking up on. He's more of this is the moment rather than looking a few years down the line.

also I have my doubts that Keegan is the man to develop the youngsters we seem to be stocking up on. He's more of this is the moment rather than looking a few years down the line.

What evidence have you got of that, given: our current signings, our alleged transfer targets, and given that he's agreed to work alongside a brand new youth recruitment team? This isn't 1996, why do some people have this idea that it's exactly the same manager? He's not stupid, man. The game's changed and the man has changed - the whole bloody football club has changed entirely ffs. It's like when people say stuff like "ah, this signing is clearly our Rob Lee" "this must be our new Albert", and whatnot. It's just such a daft analogy.

tbh since we've not been getting for the moment players or youth players i'm not too bothered if we have a manager who at least adresses one of those problems.

Also KK hasn't been the one bringing in players close to the 30 mark.

Phil may be a negative bastard but I think he has a point to a certain degree, if Colo signs, then the defence is indeed pretty strong, best we've had in a while. But the rest of the squad has huge question marks about it. First the midfield, lack of numbers and even when fully fit a lack of quality. Up front when fully fit we've not got a problem, but how often are all 3 going to be fully fit ? and if they aren't and we have to dip into our back ups, then this pre-season must surely have proved that we are absolutely fucked.

His words may have been strong and have provoked the usual responses you get on here but if you think everything in the garden is rosey and we'll be find when everyone is fit, then take you're freakin head out of the sand cos I'll bet anything you like that we'll be in a full fit squad position extremely infrequently this season and currently  our backups are nowhere near the required standard.

They've really fucked up this pre-season IMO, 13 days to go now and the squad is nowhere near where it should be at. And of course when (and I still believe it is when and not if, which is probably a bit of this blind faith) we fill out the squad and add a bit of quality, we'll have everyone posting that "the squad needs time to bed in", ofcorse it does if you leave everything to the last minute.

if you think everything in the garden is rosey and we'll be find when everyone is fit, then take you're freakin head out of the sand cos I'll bet anything you like that we'll be in a full fit squad position extremely infrequently this season and currently  our backups are nowhere near the required standard.

No-one is saying that.

The rest of the above is true but more or less common sense.

Phil may be a negative bastard but I think he has a point to a certain degree, if Colo signs, then the defence is indeed pretty strong, best we've had in a while. But the rest of the squad has huge question marks about it. First the midfield, lack of numbers and even when fully fit a lack of quality. Up front when fully fit we've not got a problem, but how often are all 3 going to be fully fit ? and if they aren't and we have to dip into our back ups, then this pre-season must surely have proved that we are absolutely fucked.

His words may have been strong and have provoked the usual responses you get on here but if you think everything in the garden is rosey and we'll be find when everyone is fit, then take you're freakin head out of the sand cos I'll bet anything you like that we'll be in a full fit squad position extremely infrequently this season and currently  our backups are nowhere near the required standard.

They've really fucked up this pre-season IMO, 13 days to go now and the squad is nowhere near where it should be at. And of course when (and I still believe it is when and not if, which is probably a bit of this blind faith) we fill out the squad and add a bit of quality, we'll have everyone posting that "the squad needs time to bed in", ofcorse it does if you leave everything to the last minute.

My fears over this summer is not having a ready squad for the 1st game of the season. The lack of transfer activity in the early stages is as much to blame as the injuries. Instead of hitting the ground running, we will be playing catchup, again, as per fuking usual, but its no surprise, it really isn't.