Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

He's unprofessional at both training and away from the club. At least Carroll was performing, I'd also argue that you can't compare the two situations at all. I'm aware you will as it suits the point you're trying to make.

I'm not sure how you think the two situations can't be compared, is it because you don't want them to be?  It looks like two players have been judged by the club because of behaviour both at and away from the club, one has done worse things than the other. 

Ranger has not only persistently been late for training over an 18 month period but he has also shown a general disregard for anything not 'Gangsta' enough, shunning training opportunities with players considerably better than himself. We also heard from a senior player a while ago that he's not the most liked in the squad, with his antics spilling out into the street.

Carroll at least applied himself to his profession and became a focal point of the team. Ranger hasn't scored three times for the senior side. His highlight last season being that truly awful miss against West Ham. His issue with Taylor was not comparable to mouthing off in the Cinema or not being able to get out of bed in the morning.

I would say his highlight was coming on and changing the game against Liverpool  :undecided:

He's unprofessional at both training and away from the club. At least Carroll was performing, I'd also argue that you can't compare the two situations at all. I'm aware you will as it suits the point you're trying to make.

I'm not sure how you think the two situations can't be compared, is it because you don't want them to be?  It looks like two players have been judged by the club because of behaviour both at and away from the club, one has done worse things than the other. 

Ranger has not only persistently been late for training over an 18 month period but he has also shown a general disregard for anything not 'Gangsta' enough, shunning training opportunities with players considerably better than himself. We also heard from a senior player a while ago that he's not the most liked in the squad, with his antics spilling out into the street.

Carroll at least applied himself to his profession and became a focal point of the team. Ranger hasn't scored three times for the senior side. His highlight last season being that truly awful miss against West Ham. His issue with Taylor was not comparable to mouthing off in the Cinema or not being able to get out of bed in the morning.

I would say his highlight was coming on and changing the game against Liverpool  :undecided:

And similarly away at Arsenal.  If he goes we'll really miss his impact in the last 20 mins of games from the bench.

Lets say Ba & Shola are injured so Best starts would you rather see Loven or Ranger alongside him?

I can't work out why we would keep Loven, he is past it.

And yet he can pop up and score key goals.  Ranger hasn't done that as yet.  Ranger needs a loan and ideally Loven needs replacing.  Yet if it was one or the other I'd loan out ranger and keep Loven for the last year.

Guest Heneage

I think you're being generous, and he certainly didn't change the game at Arsenal.

I think you're being generous, and he certainly didn't change the game at Arsenal.

No but he helped us improbably hold on

Guest Heneage

No but he helped us improbably hold on

Quite a big difference. It was Carroll who won us both those games.

With any luck we will sign another striker

Ba

? new

Shola

Best

Loven 1 year left

Ranger 1 year loan

Would be better business....  Then if Nile has not improved his attitude & scored goals after a loan spell he can be replaced along with Loven next summer, but if Nile has ptoven himself then he replaces Loven in the squad.

I'll take your word on it that Ranger was persistently been late for training over an 18 month period, you should tell pardew that because he claimed that Ranger was 'always on the cusp of being late. We have stopped him being late but he is still frequently on the brink.'  As for the gangsta stuff and him not bothering to do any extra training, that's stupidy on his behalf.  He's a mug for not doing the best he can to allow both him and us to take advantage of the tallents that he obviously has.  I'm not sure that's enough reason to throw the towel in with him and give up.  He needs to grow up and concentrate on his football but I'd hate us to give up and see him go to another club where he could easily turn himself around and become a very good footballer.

I'm surprised that you think his highlight of last season was missing against West Ham, his highlight for me was coming off the bench and changing games.  I've seen worse misses from better players than him which rightly didn't finish club careers.  He missed a couple of easy chances but he also made keepers work from angles that others would struggle to get shot on target from.  Most of the chances he had last season were made by himself.

If Ranger was mouthing off in the Cinema at least he had enough restraint to avoid it going any further. If only Carroll had the same restraint he might have avoided a broken hand (allegedly) and Taylor might not have been out for months.  I accept that when  Carroll had the alleged bust up with Taylor he was starting to make massive improvements with his football.  The same can't be said of him when he was cautioned in 2008 for beating up his lass or 2009 when he was arrested for glassing somebody in a club.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Loven isn't past it.. He will receive better passes this year...

Too bad with Ranger. His touches looked better in the last game of the season, against WBA..

He shouldn't be anywhere near our team.

And yet he can pop up and score key goals.  Ranger hasn't done that as yet.  Ranger needs a loan and ideally Loven needs replacing.  Yet if it was one or the other I'd loan out ranger and keep Loven for the last year.

Lovenkrands isn't as bad as some people make out but I wouldn't want him coming off the bench.  He's scored goals for us but they are more usually than not after a run of games.

Not at all and if I wasn't so lazy and knew how to use the search function a bit more efficiently I would bump numerous posts where people are saying the same thing.

Loven isn't past it.. He will receive better passes this year...

Too bad with Ranger. His touches looked better in the last game of the season, against WBA..

He shouldn't be anywhere near our team.

Not as a starter, but he has amply proven that he's capable of finishing off the weaker teams, a feat Owen, Viduka and Martins didn't manage. Combined with the fact that we now have a more creative midfield capable of supplying him with passes in space, he should start home and away against such teams. That will also give us the opportunity to rest key members such as HBA and Ba.

Guest Heneage

I'll take your word on it that Ranger was persistently been late for training over an 18 month period, you should tell pardew that because he claimed that Ranger was 'always on the cusp of being late. We have stopped him being late but he is still frequently on the brink.'  As for the gangsta stuff and him not bothering to do any extra training, that's stupidy on his behalf.  He's a mug for not doing the best he can to allow both him and us to take advantage of the tallents that he obviously has.  I'm not sure that's enough reason to throw the towel in with him and give up.  He needs to grow up and concentrate on his football but I'd hate us to give up and see him go to another club where he could easily turn himself around and become a very good footballer.

I'm surprised that you think his highlight of last season was missing against West Ham, his highlight for me was coming off the bench and changing games.  I've seen worse misses from better players than him which rightly didn't finish club careers.  He missed a couple of easy chances but he also made keepers work from angles that others would struggle to get shot on target from.  Most of the chances he had last season were made by himself.

If Ranger was mouthing off in the Cinema at least he had enough restraint to avoid it going any further. If only Carroll had the same restraint he might have avoided a broken hand (allegedly) and Taylor might not have been out for months.  I accept that when  Carroll had the alleged bust up with Taylor he was starting to make massive improvements with his football.  The same can't be said of him when he was cautioned in 2008 for beating up his lass or 2009 when he was arrested for glassing somebody in a club.

What games bar possibly Liverpool did he actually change? You're trying to compare an ok prospect striker with Andy Carroll who was a big part of our success the last 18 months.

What games bar possibly Liverpool did he actually change?

Arsenal at home, he came on when we were 1-4 down and they couldn't handle his pace and within a couple of minutes we'd brought the score back to 2-4.

Guest Heneage

Arsenal at home, he came on when we were 1-4 down and they couldn't handle his pace and within a couple of minutes we'd brought the score back to 2-4.

You neglect to mention the red card prior that was the real catalyst. Ranger played a part but he didn't change the game. I guess we should just agree to disagree.

You neglect to mention the red card prior that was the real catalyst. Ranger played a part but he didn't change the game. I guess we should just agree to disagree.

We did next to nowt between the red card and Ranger coming on, bar the penalty.

Fair enough and yes, the red card played a part in that draw.

I believe the red card spurred the fans on, but did little for the players other than the extra reaction they got from the crowd.

There was nearly 20 minutes between the red card and our first goal. Bit of a late reaction if that was the catalyst :razz: