Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Is calling someone a fag really banter? I would never call one of my friends a faggot for so many reasons. Nile is a professional football player, there's every right for him to be punished for using a slur on a public medium.

He's a complete fucking moron for saying it in a public forum, and the banter is far from world class, but it's not even close to being worth a fine. He's just being made an example of, in an attempt to dissuade the more public football twitterers, one assumes.

If he's being made an example of it's because he used a homophobic slur, not because he's on twitter. That word has no place in society.

Never used it either then?

I must admit I think it's all a bit stupid the way people go on nowadays. At 16 one of my best mates who was 20 told me he was gay. He told me first because he thought I wouldn't understand. He's still one of my best mates to this day. Ever since that moment, we have called him everything under the sun to make fun of it, as we would about any of our group of mates, and I have partially deaf mates as well as fat mates, tall mates, small mates, you name it. Everyone takes the p*ss out of everyone in a group of lads. The whole puff and black thing, etc obviously has a horrible history to it, but I very much doubt that the majority people who make these comments actually hate people of these variations.

Might as well be f***ing sheep and surround ourselves with wool.

Fair enough. If people want to say it, I'm not going to confront them or call them out, but it's ridiculous that people think it's okay for someone in the public eye to use it. Just as bad as any other slur.

You're right like to a degree. If you're in the public eye and seen to be a potential role model then you have a responsibility to act in a sensible, non-offesive way, especially on those wages. On the other hand, he's just being a young lad, doing what young lads do, and say. Especially those of the dickhead variety.

Guest firetotheworks

Maybe it was stupid to write it on twitter.

But i just don`t like the idea that you can get fined for calling your mate a fag, that`s all.

You're not in the public eye or in a position of responsibility, so you won't.

Guest firetotheworks

Finding it difficult to wrap my head around how homophobia is 'banter'

So you never called someone a puff when they've done something soft or can't hold their drink for example?

Give over man, it's an absolute nonsense that he's been fined £6K for this.

He broadcasted it to 32,000 people. I can't say any of us have done that.

So you never called someone a puff when they've done something soft or can't hold their drink for example?

He broadcasted it to 32,000 people. I can't say any of us have done that.

I don't think anyone is defending how moronic he is for putting it on twitter.

But i just don`t like the idea that you can get fined for calling your mate a fag, that`s all.

I know, if i had i would be broke and in jail probably.

My comment was directed at bluestar who mention that you would get fined if you used it in public, where the cops could here it. Bigg market in his example.

FFS its banter between mates. What the fuck have the world become if we can not say what we want to each other.

Do you seriously get fined for that in the UK?

Its a completely other thing if i go and tell a stranger he is a faggot or a asshammer imo, because some take offence of it.

And as i mentioned, stupid of him to write it on twitter, but give the lad a break  ;D

There are things you can say to your mates that you wouldn't say to strangers, colleagues, your wife's parents, your boss... It may well be that you can make a joke about the holocaust or call your Asian mate a paki and because the people present know you, they realise you're being deliberately inappropriate, that you're taking the piss out of people who really hold those views or whatever and it doesn't mean you're a racist,  a homophobe or whatever. And I'd have a lot of sympathy for someone who was caught on a candid phone video and crucified for that. But come on man it's fucking basic, you don't come out with that kind of stuff in public in front of people who don't know you or barely know you or you're going to have some consequences from employers or acquaintances.

There are things you can say to your mates that you wouldn't say to strangers, colleagues, your wife's parents, your boss... It may well be that you can make a joke about the holocaust or call your Asian mate a paki and because the people present know you, they realise you're being deliberately inappropriate, that you're taking the piss out of people who really hold those views or whatever and it doesn't mean you're a racist,  a homophobe or whatever. And I'd have a lot of sympathy for someone who was caught on a candid phone video and crucified for that. But come on man it's fucking basic, you don't come out with that kind of stuff in public in front of people who don't know you or barely know you or you're going to have some consequences from employers or acquaintances.

I agree with what you say. Just common decency.

I just think it was a hard punishment, no matter what his income is.

And as i told you, my reaction was at you comment that you could be fined on the street if the cops heard you. When its banter with a friend.

Its nitpicking on my behalf, sorry :lol:

My comment was directed at bluestar who mention that you would get fined if you used it in public, where the cops could here it. Bigg market in his example.

FFS its banter between mates. What the fuck have the world become if we can not say what we want to each other.

Its a completely other thing if i go and tell a stranger he is a faggot or a asshammer imo, because some take offence of it.

And as i mentioned, stupid of him to write it on twitter, but give the lad a break  ;D

It's not though. I'm not saying people should be fined for it, but it's not just banter. There's a much deeper meaning to it.

what's being "soft" or not holding your drink got to do with homosexuality?

i'd agree that it's a bit hash to fine ranger for what was intended as a private joke between friends. problem is it wasn't private, it was broadcast to tens of thousands of people. it seems the FA is clamping down on homophobia, something that's long overdue, and ranger's just a little unfortunate that his comment has been highlighted and he's been made an example of. but it's not like he can't afford the money and it's ultimately for the overall good so he should accept it in good grace and think more about his behaviour in future. he should think of it as a donation for a good cause...

i'd agree that it's a bit hash to fine ranger for what was intended as a private joke between friends. problem is it wasn't private, it was broadcast to tens of thousands of people. it seems the FA is clamping down on homophobia, something that's long overdue, and ranger's just a little unfortunate that his comment has been highlighted and he's been made an example of. but it's not like he can't afford the money and it's ultimately for the overall good so he should accept it in good grace and think more about his behaviour in future. he should think of it as a donation for a good cause...

People use words like puff and tart all the time and always have done. It might not be right but it's generally accepted. It's only the attention seeking homosexuals who claim to be bothered by it anyways, most normal ones probably aren't arsed about it unless it's said directly to them in a harmful way.

It's like when faggot temporarily got banned in that pogues song, then most the gay community was like "WTF, what are you doing?".

Who said it was?

People use words like puff and tart all the time and always have done. It might not be right but it's generally accepted. People need to get a life. It's only the attention seeking homosexuals who claim to be bothered by it anyways, most normal ones probably aren't arsed about it.

It's like when faggot temporarily got banned in that pogues song, then most the gay community was like "WTF, what are you doing?".

Exactly, gay lad i work with (one of them, i work with a few) when asked if he was going to Gay Pride like one of the other kids at work was replied "like shite am i, it's always full of puffs!"

It's not though. I'm not saying people should be fined for it, but it's not just banter. There's a much deeper meaning to it.

How on earth can you say that, or judge what my and my mates mean by that word?  :lol:

What is just banter between us, might be blasphemy for other.

How on earth can you say that, or judge what my and my mates mean by that word?  :lol:

First of all, you just said banter, you didn't say banter between your friends, how am I supposed to know? Not that it matters either way, there's clearly more of a meaning to it than banter, regardless of what you're intending.

First of all, you just said banter, you didn't say banter between your friends, how am I supposed to know? Not that it matters either way, there's clearly more of a meaning to it than banter, regardless of what you're intending.

No there isn't, people just take things too serious and are always looking for hidden meanings rather than just accepting things for what they are.

I call my mate a cock-sucking, gadgy f***ing, bum banditarian in the name of acceptance. I call him that and he understands that I accept him as he is. I like this. As does he. It makes us both gay that we can have such banter.

Dude, look at what you balded out in my sentence.  FFS its banter between mates.   So you should have a slight idea what i was meaning.

But no worries mate, me and my friends are fine with calling each other all kind of things.

But its still fucking weird how you can say: "there's clearly more of a meaning to it than banter, regardless of what you're intending.."  :lol: