The return of Lawro

Guest JamesD

Newcastle v Man City

Manchester City have some really good players and Robinho scored some outstanding goals for Brazil.

But they sometimes look a bit unbalanced and vulnerable at the back.

A draw is not much use to anyone but Newcastle will turn the corner as they have too many match-winners to be worried about relegation.

Verdict: 1-1

Er...............

Newcastle v Man City

Manchester City have some really good players and Robinho scored some outstanding goals for Brazil.

But they sometimes look a bit unbalanced and vulnerable at the back.

A draw is not much use to anyone but Newcastle will turn the corner as they have too many match-winners to be worried about relegation.

Er...............

Is Smith back from injury?

Oh come on, at least he was positive, give the pie-scoffing cretin some appreciation.

Exactly. People complain when he's negative, people complain when he's positive. Give the twat a bit of a break.

Oh come on, at least he was positive, give the pie-scoffing cretin some appreciation.

Exactly. People complain when he's negative, people complain when he's positive. Give the twat a bit of a break.

:lol:

Guest toonlass

Has Lawro been on the booze. Maybe the first prediction from him that seems unbiased when Newcastle are concerned!

Sunderland v Newcastle (1245 BST)

Hard to predict, but Joe Kinnear's done okay as Newcastle boss. They showed lots of spirit in drawing with Man City on Monday night.

Sunderland's home form has not been great. A draw is not really what either side want but Kinnear has given Newcastle that bit of fight. Defences will not be on top.

Verdict: 2-2

Has Lawro been on the booze. Maybe the first prediction from him that seems unbiased when Newcastle are concerned!

Sunderland v Newcastle (1245 BST)

Hard to predict, but Joe Kinnear's done okay as Newcastle boss. They showed lots of spirit in drawing with Man City on Monday night.

Sunderland's home form has not been great. A draw is not really what either side want but Kinnear has given Newcastle that bit of fight. Defences will not be on top.

Verdict: 2-2

The Man City prediction was unfair?

Christ, not every piece of journalism slates Newcastle at every given opportunity. A lot of Lawro's predictions for Newcastle this season from what I've seen have been fair.

And no, I don't like him at all.

• 3 months later...

talk about fence sitting. Merson and Lawro

--

Lawro

Sunderland will be fine this season - there's no doubt about that. They've got a bit of strength in depth, pace and quality up front.

Newcastle are plummeting like a stone. Joey Barton and Michael Owen are out injured. The natives are getting restless at St James' Park because they're losing games and haven't brought many players in during the transfer window.

---

Newcastle vs Sunderland - merson

I said earlier in the season that this wasn't a proper derby - and I was horribly wrong.

When I saw the passion and the atmosphere in the Sunderland v Newcastle game I quickly changed my mind. This is a massive derby game - and it has become even bigger following Newcastle's defeat in midweek.

Not only did Newcastle get a bad result at Man City, but they lost two of their most influential players - Michael Owen and Joey Barton - through injury.

Owen will always score goals and Barton will always want the ball. He gets a lot of critics, but he'd be the first name on Joe Kinnear's team sheet for Sunday. This is a big game against their local rivals and the fans will be nervous. If the supporters get on the players' backs a lot of them aren't strong enough to want the ball - you wouldn't have that problem with Barton because he never goes hiding.

Those two are massive misses and I'd be majorly worried if they sold Shay Given as well. He will save them at least five points between now and the end of the season - and if you knock those five points off now then Newcastle are bottom of the table!

I simply can't believe that they might sell him now. Surely they can wait until the end of the season because I'm sure if they stay up they won't allow themselves to get into this position again.

They don't need all of this nonsense with Charles N'Zogbia either. Kinnear has every right to give out a bit of stick if his players aren't winning games and I'm with Joe here.

I don't think N'Zogbia will want to bump into the Newcastle fans after the way he's behaved. And who would want to go and buy him now if he's that weak?

I think Sunderland will be alright because the two up front will always cause problems. They're big, strong and quick and they get the odd goal as well!

I don't see many problems at Sunderland and I think they can go there and be very confident. If Sunderland sit back they will play into Newcastle's hands and they are a very different team when they have a bit of confidence and the crowd are behind them.

But if you go and attack Newcastle, I think they'll get nervous and there's always a chance of scoring. This is a hard one to call - and that's not good news for Newcastle that I'm saying that. They need to win their home games or else they really are in trouble.

PAUL'S PREDICTION

Draw - I don't like predicting draws but I think this game will finish 1-1. I can't see Sunderland failing to score, but with home advantage I think Newcastle can get some sort of result. It would be a great result for Sunderland, not so for Newcastle.

MERSON'S MAGIC MAN

Andy Carroll - I'll go for the young lad because he's going to have to lead the line. I watched him at Blackburn and he did quite well and he's scored a couple of goals lately. He's a decent player and he will get the fans going with his work rate, but the fact they are relying on him doesn't bode well.

West Brom v Newcastle

West Brom are going through the sort of spell where they seem to have identified the fixtures at home that are winnable.

They lost to Manchester United, Chelsea and Aston Villa but other than that their results in the league have been decent since mid-December.

I am just not convinced at all about Newcastle. They looked so flat in the first half last weekend against Sunderland, which is strange for a derby game and says more about the sort of characters they have than the manager.

Verdict: 2-1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7868093.stm

West Brom v Newcastle

West Brom are going through the sort of spell where they seem to have identified the fixtures at home that are winnable.

They lost to Manchester United, Chelsea and Aston Villa but other than that their results in the league have been decent since mid-December.

I am just not convinced at all about Newcastle. They looked so flat in the first half last weekend against Sunderland, which is strange for a derby game and says more about the sort of characters they have than the manager.

Verdict: 2-1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7868093.stm

I like the way he fails to mention the character shown and the overall performance in the second half. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sicko2ndbest

Toon must move on from Joe  Lawro 14/02/2009

Joe Kinnear (left) has had a tempestuous and stressful spell as manager of Newcastle.

But everyone in football will wish him well with his heart operation and the good thing is that the problem was found early.

Amid the chaos, though, Mike Ashley owes the former Wimbledon boss a huge debt of gratitude for steering the club through tricky times. The squad looks OK and they should stay up.

But now Ashley must make a hard choice and appoint a new manager, because Kinnear won't be back for months and Toon need direction.

Finally sense

Guest firetotheworks

Toon must move on from Joe   Lawro 14/02/2009

Joe Kinnear (left) has had a tempestuous and stressful spell as manager of Newcastle.

But everyone in football will wish him well with his heart operation and the good thing is that the problem was found early.

Amid the chaos, though, Mike Ashley owes the former Wimbledon boss a huge debt of gratitude for steering the club through tricky times. The squad looks OK and they should stay up.

But now Ashley must make a hard choice and appoint a new manager, because Kinnear won't be back for months and Toon need direction.

Finally sense

To be honest I think Lawros talked sense most of this season about us. Maybe its because theres nothing to talk down anymore.