Coventry 2 - 3 Newcastle (CC) - 26/08/08 - post match reaction from page 36

James

i'm sorry but beye was nothing like dependable. i still think he's one of the best fullbacks in the league (lets say top 10) but his mind wasn't on the field today. was looked a bit slow to react to things, gave the ball away a lot (put one foot wrong all game?) although he was pretty comfortable defensively. it was also a pretty big foot to put wrong, even if it had been the only one.

How can you be comfortable defensively and yet not be dependable as a defender? Surely as a full-back your priority is to defend first? His distribution admittedly wasn't up to usual standard but it was hardly shocking and defensively he was excellent - he didn't lose out on a single challenge all game. If that isn't 'dependable' as a defender then I simply don't know what is.

And this one 'mistake' leading to Morrison's goal is all a bit of bollocks tbh, Bassong and Colo were at fault as much as Beye in that situation and yet they seem to have slipepd under the radar.

aye i think colo and bassong could have done better for the goal, but beye was a lot more guilty than those 2, who were mainly caught out by a lucky deflection. beye wasn't dependable in the same way that taylor isn't dependable, he cost us a goal and gave the ball away quite a few times. he was pretty comfortable when they were in possession (what you would expect, as we were playing championship oppersition). he did nowt in the attacking third either.

The ball was behind Beye and he was forced to deal with it at sprint speed as well as coping with pressure from his man. That's not an easy clearance to make and it hardly cost us a goal. Yes his distribution and attacking play wasn't great but as a FULLBACK do your defensive duties not come first? Beye was strong in defence and in being dependable surely this overshadows average passing/attacking.

Regardless of the mucked up clearance, he completely dropped off Morrison for some reason, allowing the free shot when the ball came back to him.

Guest optimistic nit

i'm sorry but beye was nothing like dependable. i still think he's one of the best fullbacks in the league (lets say top 10) but his mind wasn't on the field today. was looked a bit slow to react to things, gave the ball away a lot (put one foot wrong all game?) although he was pretty comfortable defensively. it was also a pretty big foot to put wrong, even if it had been the only one.

How can you be comfortable defensively and yet not be dependable as a defender? Surely as a full-back your priority is to defend first? His distribution admittedly wasn't up to usual standard but it was hardly shocking and defensively he was excellent - he didn't lose out on a single challenge all game. If that isn't 'dependable' as a defender then I simply don't know what is.

And this one 'mistake' leading to Morrison's goal is all a bit of bollocks tbh, Bassong and Colo were at fault as much as Beye in that situation and yet they seem to have slipepd under the radar.

aye i think colo and bassong could have done better for the goal, but beye was a lot more guilty than those 2, who were mainly caught out by a lucky deflection. beye wasn't dependable in the same way that taylor isn't dependable, he cost us a goal and gave the ball away quite a few times. he was pretty comfortable when they were in possession (what you would expect, as we were playing championship oppersition). he did nowt in the attacking third either.

The ball was behind Beye and he was forced to deal with it at sprint speed as well as coping with pressure from his man. That's not an easy clearance to make and it hardly cost us a goal. Yes his distribution and attacking play wasn't great but as a FULLBACK do your defensive duties not come first? Beye was strong in defence and in being dependable surely this overshadows average passing/attacking.

we're obviously not going to agree here, but it was a shit clearence, and it cost us a goal. i said he was largely comfortable in defense, but he wasn't brilliant there either, enrique colo and bassong all looked more comfortable.

all of his faults today could be explained by a lack of match fitness, caused by a lack of pre season though, so i'm not going to start worrying about him because of one average performance.

I wont give ratings tonight, but in order of great to less great, I'd say:

Milner

N'Zogbia

Enrique

Bassong

Coloccini

Owen

Guthrie

Given

Gutierrez

Butt

Beye

For me, only the top four in that list plus Given had the application to match the ability. Owen and Coloccini did their jobs with little fuss. The remainder showed that they were significantly better than the Coventry lot, but I was incredibly frustrated with their application.

How does the British players being in the bottom half of that list tie up with your theories on culture shocks, whereas the majority of the foreign players are in the top half? ???

:lol:

Beye made a rick tonight and got punished for it. Same as Colo and Bassong in fact. Other than that the back four were pretty good I thought. We never looked panicked at any time and the goals came as a surprise more than anything.

Milner

N'Zogbia

Enrique

Bassong

Coloccini

Owen

Guthrie

Given

Gutierrez

Butt

Beye

For me, only the top four in that list plus Given had the application to match the ability. Owen and Coloccini did their jobs with little fuss. The remainder showed that they were significantly better than the Coventry lot, but I was incredibly frustrated with their application.

How does the British players being in the bottom half of that list tie up with your theories on culture shocks, whereas the majority of the foreign players are in the top half? ???

Zog has been in England long enough, Bassong was making his debut and was staking his claim, Enrique was staking his claim, Colo is exceptional and wasn't really tested. Butt's near the bottom because he was the worst player on the pitch in terms of ability.

Milner

N'Zogbia

Enrique

Bassong

Coloccini

Owen

Guthrie

Given

Gutierrez

Butt

Beye

Zog has been in England long enough, Bassong was making his debut and was staking his claim, Enrique was staking his claim, Colo is exceptional and wasn't really tested. Butt's near the bottom because he was the worst player on the pitch in terms of ability.

So it doesn't tie up at all. Cheers O0

Milner

N'Zogbia

Enrique

Bassong

Coloccini

Owen

Guthrie

Given

Gutierrez

Butt

Beye

So it doesn't tie up at all. Cheers O0

Basically my thoughts on culture shock only particularly applied to Beye and Jonas, as I had said earlier.

Basically my thoughts on culture shock only particularly applied to Beye and Jonas, as I had said earlier.

Apologies if I've missed the player-specific post, this was the only one I could find

I genuinely believe that some of the foreign players suffered a real culture shock tonight. Keegan himself alluded to such post match.

Am I allowed to clarify that the only player I wasn't impressed with ability wise tonight was Butt?

Everyone else showed their ability, yet we failed to see a lower league side off over ninety minutes.

Some of our personnel seemed happy to contain the second half scoreline, rather than try to stretch the opponent when we had the ball.

That is why extra time was needed, because some of our players believed they could rely on ability alone to see them through the second half.

Really enjoyed the game tonight - we played some good stuff, considering our lack of striking options. It's lightyears ahead of the football we played under Fat Sam and we look all the better for it. Scoreline made it look closer than it was, but you have to credit Coventry for their spirit and fight.

Home draw in the next round please.

Am I allowed to clarify that the only player I wasn't impressed with ability wise tonight was Butt?

Everyone else showed their ability, yet we failed to see a lower league side off over ninety minutes.

Some of our personnel seemed happy to contain the second half scoreline, rather than try to stretch the opponent when we had the ball.

That is why extra time was needed, because some of our players believed they could rely on ability alone to see them through the second half.

I hope you're excluding Geremi because he absolutely wank, lost the ball almost every time he got it.

Didnt Coventry beat Man U 2-0 last season?

Apologies if I've missed the player-specific post, this was the only one I could find

I genuinely believe that some of the foreign players suffered a real culture shock tonight. Keegan himself alluded to such post match.

Yeah, the quoted post was about Beye, and a couple posts earlier I was talking about Jonas. My assumption was that people knew who I was talking about.

I hope you're excluding Geremi because he absolutely wank, lost the ball almost every time he got it.

Forgot he played tbh.

Man Utd: Kuszczak, Bardsley (Brown 45), Evans (Carrick 56), Pique, Simpson, Nani, Martin (Campbell 45), O'Shea, Eagles, Dong, Anderson.

Subs Not Used: Heaton, Eckersley

Man Utd: Kuszczak, Bardsley (Brown 45), Evans (Carrick 56), Pique, Simpson, Nani, Martin (Campbell 45), O'Shea, Eagles, Dong, Anderson.

Subs Not Used: Heaton, Eckersley

Still think with no striker until Owen came on it was a good attacking performance