Coventry 2 - 3 Newcastle (CC) - 26/08/08 - post match reaction from page 36

James

I went to game yesterday, very enjoyable and Milner stole the show, absolutely brilliant. First half we could have been 4-0 up as we had more shots blocked by the very creditworthy Coventry team than i can remeber in a game. As it happens Coventry hit us on the break in the last minute of the game and its 2-1 at half time. So its game on again after it looked we would hammer them. Second half is alot more even with both teams having chances and them scoring in the last seconds to take it to extra time. ET A beautifull pass from the impressive Enrique to Owen who tucks it away gives us the victory. They hit the bar and we win.

My Ratings:

Given 7.5 - a couple of good saves and nothing wrong.

Beye 6 - Good most of the time, a few mistakes.

Colo 7.5 - Classy display.

Bassong 7 Solid Enough

Enrique - 8 Very Impressive

Zoggy - 7.5 Some very good runs.

Butt - 7 Good most of the time, some fantastic tackles.

Guthrie 6 ok ish, not bad, but not all that good either.

Geremi 6.5 Good ish

Jonas 7 - Tried hard, got hacked down a few times, a threat.

Milner 9.5 - MOM Simply Brilliant last night. Could have had a hatrick on another day. Scored one made one and had a few almost certain goals blocked by the creditworthy Coventry.  Hard enough being a lone striker (as Jonas spent much of his time in CM), especially when your a winger, he held it up superbly had a few good shots blocked by Coventry who were just chucking themselves in front of his shots Taylor style. Gave 120 %.

Owen 7.5 Saved our ass again. Has this brilliant knack of scoring goals lol.

In no way did Milner play like he wants away, he actually put in a good shift and created a lot of problems for Coventry IMO.

May have had something to do with him knowing O'Nieil was in the crowd. It was a come get me performance from him, that much is clear now.

Milner 9.5 - MOM Simply Brilliant last night. Could have had a hatrick on another day.

...a few good shots blocked by Coventry who were just chucking themselves in front of his shots Taylor style.

If they were doing it Taylor style why did we not have 8 penalties?

why does morrison have 1 + 9 on his shirt??

Short answer, because he's a bellend.   Long answer, because he wanted the Number 10 shirt but some other guy already has it.  I'm surprised they even had a plus sign to put on, unless it's an X turned on its side.

Zamorano used to have 1+8 on his back at Inter as well, so maybe it's a tribute to that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Wow, what a match, what a performance. This was like the Newcastle of old under KK first time around. Contrary to many opinions, we were not entirely invincible under KK back then, we were very very good (as we were in this match) but the good old characteristics associated with this club since 1882 of shooting ourselves in the foot or doing things the hard or slightly crazy way was very much part of KK's teams back then, which was in truth part of the (national) attraction with us.

Back to the game... I enjoyed it massively. Yes conceding 2 and going into extra-time irked me but only slightly and not for very long. I looked at the entire 120 minutes as 95% of a match where we did everything absolutely spot on and in large quantities, amazingly so too.

I've not seen us as comfortable as that on the ball, as dominating and as free flowing since, well, since the 90s under KK. Even under Sir Bobby we were never that comfortable on the ball or so slick. Ironically, had we been more direct at times, we'd have pummeled them out of site.

That performance for me was remarkable given who we had out and the level of opposition and setting of game. I expected a scrappy performance and a scrappy game, but we approached the game set on playing our football irrespective of all that and for those new to the whole KK experience (or forgetful of the past) this is how KK approached all games regardless of opposition, competition or venue, home or away.

What we saw was a glimpse into the near future of our true potential as a footballing side with KK leading it. I've seen a lot of Arsenal over the years and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't like watching them and who finds their football not on another wavelength, well we played that kind of football against Coventry, slick, uniform and quite literally, on another level not only to that of Coventry, but Newcastle United in recent seasons too.

120 minutes of quality Newcastle with all the drama and tension this club is famous for, you can't beat that man. Loved it, love it.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Wow, what a match, what a performance. This was like the Newcastle of old under KK first time around. Contrary to many opinions, we were not entirely invincible under KK back then, we were very very good (as we were in this match) but the good old characteristics associated with this club since 1882 of shooting ourselves in the foot or doing things the hard or slightly crazy way was very much part of KK's teams back then, which was in truth part of the (national) attraction with us.

Back to the game... I enjoyed it massively. Yes conceding 2 and going into extra-time irked me but only slightly and not for very long. I looked at the entire 120 minutes as 95% of a match where we did everything absolutely spot on and in large quantities, amazingly so too.

I've not seen us as comfortable as that on the ball, as dominating and as free flowing since, well, since the 90s under KK. Even under Sir Bobby we were never that comfortable on the ball or so slick. Ironically, had we been more direct at times, we'd have pummeled them out of site.

That performance for me was remarkable given who we had out and the level of opposition and setting of game. I expected a scrappy performance and a scrappy game, but we approached the game set on playing our football irrespective of all that and for those new to the whole KK experience (or forgetful of the past) this is how KK approached all games regardless of opposition, competition or venue, home or away.

What we saw was a glimpse into the near future of our true potential as a footballing side with KK leading it. I've seen a lot of Arsenal over the years and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't like watching them and who finds their football not on another wavelength, well we played that kind of football against Coventry, slick, uniform and quite literally, on another level not only to that of Coventry, but Newcastle United in recent seasons too.

120 minutes of quality Newcastle with all the drama and tension this club is famous for, you can't beat that man. Loved it, love it.

Good post there mate. The most impressive thing for me in the game was actually the last 15 mins of extra time. We knew we'd been "done" in normal time, and closed the game out superbly.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nowt like a bit of hyperbole. :aww:

Oh come on, that spell in the first half was fantastic. That's how we used to play under KK first time around on a consistent basis btw, and if that is the sign of things to come... happy days.

Guest Howaythetoon

Good post there mate. The most impressive thing for me in the game was actually the last 15 mins of extra time. We knew we'd been "done" in normal time, and closed the game out superbly.

Aye, we showed several 'sides' of our ability or capability. We give a lesson in keep ball/attacking play, how not to defend and how to defend, and the work rate, spirit and fitness levels. We also looked very organised and strong. Very very impressive stuff.

Oh come on, that spell in the first half was fantastic. That's how we used to play under KK first time around on a consistent basis btw, and if that is the sign of things to come... happy days.

It was excellent, but let's not forget the strength of the opposition etc. We've had a very promising start to this season IMO, but there's no point building ourselves up for a fall.

I must admit I had a smile to myself afterwards when I thought that all those things that made us so watchable back in the 90's appear to be back already.

So brilliant yet capable of conceding goals against anyone.

Football for the neutral, certainly. And dare I say it, not a snarling, angry, mouthy, offensive, referee intimidating, player in sight.

Guest Howaythetoon

It was excellent, but let's not forget the strength of the opposition etc. We've had a very promising start to this season IMO, but there's no point building ourselves up for a fall.

When you play football like that the opposition almost become irrelevant because no-one can live with such movement, confidence, expression on the ball and slickness, as Arsenal have demonstrated over the years to good effect regardless of who they've played against. Of course Coventry are not a very good side but to play like we did against them said more about us and our capability than their quality or the standard. Coventry or no Coventry, off the ball they had no choice but to watch and admire.

Guest newcastle4life

Thought toon played well game shouldnt have went to extra time but did well to keep going and get the result. Coventry did little but sneak two stoppage time goals. In the end getting through is whats important hopefully a good draw for the next round.

Guest Toon Argy

Thought toon played well game shouldnt have went to extra time but did well to keep going and get the result. Coventry did little but sneak two stoppage time goals. In the end getting through is whats important hopefully a good draw for the next round.

We will end up getting Chelsea away.

We will end up getting Chelsea away.

Probably get Brazil.