Mike Ashley and David O'Leary

Nobby

we spent £10m on Coloccini but then got more back by selling Faye and Milner. i really didnt think we'd be in this situation with a day or two to go in the window. we do have the 5th highest wage bill (allegedly) though there's not a great deal we can do about that in the short-term, all we can reasonably do is still spend what we would anyway and gradually shift the high earners that dont represent value for money (butt, smith, carr, duff etc) as & when we find buyers for them. clamping down on spending in the short term in order to alleviate the wage bill is imo very counter productive.

anyway i'm still hoping we can bring in the quality we need, surely we'll be hearing news tomorrow. if we dont i'd question how long we can keep players like martins, owen, jonas and coloccini at this club, i dont think theyd be sticking around at a club breaking even.

Indeed. We need, at the very least, two players by Monday night who will walk into the first team and immediately improve it. That doesn't necessarily mean spending money (Jonas) but it's generally a pretty good indicator. The time for scouting and picking up cheap quality is gone and if we have to break the bank on Monday, so be it. No excuses.

yeah. i think there's a lot of players out there that would improve us & be willing to join (who wouldve thought such a high profile player like Coloccini would come here?) so i don't really think it is a case of no one out there of the right calibre. maybe we can do a sven and bring in a few dvd superstars like elano...

The Ashley pint-necking/ shudder clip was cringe inducing. Just put a suit on and sit in the directors box man!

what was that like?

Camera focused on Ashley just after half time necking half a pint and then shuddering.

Did Ashley ask for the camera to focus on him at that exact point in time?

It just makes us look mickey mouse in my opinion.

the double standards of some people never ceases to amaze me always makes me smile

calm down NE5,if the situation we currently have is the same way come tuesday you'll have someone to say. as for the owner sitting with the fans (where he can hear their grievances) good for him. not being bullied by the press, slagging him off for it.

all in all it's means nowt.

The Ashley pint-necking/ shudder clip was cringe inducing. Just put a suit on and sit in the directors box man!

what was that like?

Camera focused on Ashley just after half time necking half a pint and then shuddering.

As I remember it our previous chairman and co-owner always wore a suit and sat in the director's box, yet he managed to make us look mickey mouse on occasion. It's his actions in the boardroom and behind the scenes that matter, not what he does at the match and we'll see what those are in due course.

its what happens on the pitch that matters. Nobody can laugh at you if you qualify for europe more than the vast majority of clubs and fill a 52000 stadium every week.

If they do, then the reply is quite straightforward. But in my experience, it didn't happen. Most people I knew were jealous of us when we played in the Champions League, Europe and reached 2 FA Cup Finals.

If you are one of those who thinks differently, then Ashleys images today are no different to those of the ex board who "embarrassed" you. Nothing like being embarrassed as selling our best players for 30 years and being ritually humiliated in the FA Cup and League Cup by the likes of Luton, Oxford, Exeter, Hereford ..........

what was that like?

As I remember it our previous chairman and co-owner always wore a suit and sat in the director's box, yet he managed to make us look mickey mouse on occasion. It's his actions in the boardroom and behind the scenes that matter, not what he does at the match and we'll see what those are in due course.

its what happens on the pitch that matters. Nobody can laugh at you if you qualify for europe more than the vast majority of clubs and fill a 52000 stadium every week.

If they do, then the reply is quite straightforward. But in my experience, it didn't happen. Most people I knew were jealous of us when we played in the Champions League, Europe and reached 2 FA Cup Finals.

If you are one of those who thinks differently, then Ashleys images today are no different to those of the ex board who "embarrassed" you. Nothing like being embarrassed as selling our best players for 30 years and being ritually humiliated in the FA Cup and League Cup by the likes of Luton, Oxford, Exeter, Hereford ..........

but they werent jealous when we had souness and roeder and go backwards.

why do you only highlight the goodtimes but ignore where we were and where we were going ?

(and luton put keegans nufc out of the FA cup )

what was that like?

the double standards of some people never ceases to amaze me always makes me smile

calm down NE5,if the situation we currently have is the same way come tuesday you'll have someone to say. as for the owner sitting with the fans (where he can hear their grievances) good for him. not being bullied by the press, slagging him off for it.

Calm down yourself. I've said before that sitting with the fans with a shirt on is stupid, and I stand by it. But as I've also said before, if the board are backing their manager, this is their role. Unfortunately, they are selling him short.

what was that like?

Calm down yourself. I've said before that sitting with the fans with a shirt on is stupid, and I stand by it. But as I've also said before, if the board are backing their manager, this is their role. Unfortunately, they are selling him short.

if the board is backing their "poor" manager and taking the club backwards ?

what was that like?

care to explain why standing with the fans with a shirt on is stupid?

what was that like?

why do you only highlight the goodtimes but ignore where we were and where we were going ?

If you are unable to assess the qualities that wish to be successful ie a board that backs their appointments, then thats your problem.

I take it you levelled the same criticism at Arsenal when they appointed Bruce Rioch, Liverpool when the appoined Roy Evans [and Souness], Chelsea when they appointed Glenn Hoddle. This is just for starters.

Realism isn't ypur thing is it ?

Goodnight

what was that like?

care to explain why standing with the fans with a shirt on is stupid?

why isn't it ?

What do you think it isn't ?

what was that like?

if the board is backing their "poor" manager and taking the club backwards ?

From where I'm looking, they left the club a million miles superior to how they found it.

Unless of course you are like one or two other numpties on here that don't know what the club was like, despite claiming otherwise?

Personally standing with the fans is only going to give him a better insight into how fickle our fans are. As for downing the pint I agree with the couple of other posters that he just found out he can't drink beer in the stands, nothing more. He has said many times that if KK wants money for players he can have it!, they just have to be the right ones which is what it should be and I'm very happy with what we have at the moment. We have to remember also that we are missing quite a few players with injuries so I'm not to worried about this season at all.

You'll find the answers to that question earlier on in this thread, NE5.

I'm sorry if I've missed a post from a few hours ago, but I've been out living a life instead of slavering over message boards.

what was that like?

If you are unable to assess the qualities that wish to be successful ie a board that backs their appointments, then thats your problem.

I take it you levelled the same criticism at Arsenal when they appointed Bruce Rioch, Liverpool when the appoined Roy Evans [and Souness], Chelsea when they appointed Glenn Hoddle. This is just for starters.

Realism isn't ypur thing is it ?

Goodnight

the main quality....APPOINT A DECENT MANAGER !

good examples aswell. did they do it three times off the trot ?

reality is my thing...reality was we spent 3 years going backwards and didn't look like turning it round....care to disagree with that ?

what was that like?

I thought that all a chairman/owner could do was back his manager and that if the manager wasted that money on crap players then that was down to him and if the players failed to perform that was down to them. Could have sworn someone used to tell me such things, I wonder who it was? ;)

As you hopefully remember, my beef with Shepherd wasn't that he was doing a bad job per se, but that he wasn't doing as good a job as I thought he should be, given the strengths of the club. In terms of the business side of the club, I think that Ashley has come in and improved a number of things. In terms of the behind the scenes structure, I think he's made some interesting changes that may or may not work and may or may not require some tinkering with personnel, but I see the logic behind them. In terms of the squad I think I'm going to reserve my judgement until the transfer window has shut.

In terms of him drinking a beer, sitting with the fans, and wearing a black and white shirt, I couldn't give a fuck.

Guest VegasToon

1. Keegan wouldn't stay unless he felt he had the support of the board.

2. I LOVE IT THAT ASHLEY SITS WITH THE FANS AND DRINKS BEER!!!

You'll find the answers to that question earlier on in this thread, NE5.

I'm sorry if I've missed a post from a few hours ago, but I've been out living a life instead of slavering over message boards.

How impressive.

Guest Heneage

Im amazed the starter of this topic sounded suprised, did he expect Ashley to go "Well ill be fucked if im paying for them."

we spent £10m on Coloccini but then got more back by selling Faye and Milner. i really didnt think we'd be in this situation with a day or two to go in the window. we do have the 5th highest wage bill (allegedly) though there's not a great deal we can do about that in the short-term, all we can reasonably do is still spend what we would anyway and gradually shift the high earners that dont represent value for money (butt, smith, carr, duff etc) as & when we find buyers for them. clamping down on spending in the short term in order to alleviate the wage bill is imo very counter productive.

anyway i'm still hoping we can bring in the quality we need, surely we'll be hearing news tomorrow. if we dont i'd question how long we can keep players like martins, owen, jonas and coloccini at this club, i dont think theyd be sticking around at a club breaking even.

Fair point.

Keegan and others - ie. in their playing days - were forced to seek greener pastures in their hope of fulfilling their ambitions of winning silverware. That was the reality amidst an era when 'a' board operated within the constraints of a cornerstore transfer policy.

The real question is why he had a pint - do they typically let you drink in the stands at the Emirates? ???

No, they don't. Tried last year (twice, even) but got refused both times. Maybe I just need to let them know that I've got a billion pounds locked up somewhere.

The real question is why he had a pint - do they typically let you drink in the stands at the Emirates? ???

No, they don't. Tried last year (twice, even) but got refused both times. Maybe I just need to let them know that I've got a billion pounds locked up somewhere.

this was my insta-thought when i saw that clip, how did some fucker get the pint past the stairs?

must have been toon fans who arranged a pint for him to see if he'd down it imo, they'll have sneaked it past the stewards