KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

extremely mis-guided attempt to win back some favour with the fans with that new statement, reeks of un-professionalism

I'm sure we'll see far more professionalism with the next owner, and I doubt he'll be naive enough to hire a local hero after this sorry episode.

Guest black n white

This is going to end up in court. Each side is saying the other broke the contract and are digging their heels in.

And the only loser will be the club. Dragged through the f***ing dirt yet again.  :dave:

here's my stitch on things

reckon htt is spot on

explains why ken bates knew

as soon as milner was sold keegan was in touch with the lma(union)

keegan put forward his case then gets legal advice

kk is the only person at nufc that does the media hence he has to say that it was his decision to sell milner

kk walks monday night after the transfer debacle

goes back in tuesday with the lma(to show the enviroment he is having to work in)

in again wednesday and he and the lma decides that he cannot work within that enviroment and that they are in breach of contract

lma not keegan release statement saying that the club should try to sort its infrastracture rather than sue kk

the fact that they have written into his contract that he has to pay them 2mill if he leaves is shear fact that they had no intentions of standing by their word

the fact that kk cannot talk about outgoing players as he doesnt know could be sold which is obvious for everyone to see is mental in itself as apparently the whole squad had a price

little mickey would have been the turning point as kk stated on tv that he would not condone the sale of him

and like i said these press releases will further his case

what are the odd's on keegan coming back and ashley out by the hull game

Guest black n white

place your bets now....ashley out by the end of the week

they have basically presented their whole case for the tribunal in the news of the world..

this will be over sooner than everybody thinks......woohoo

?

You think a tribunal will end Ashley's reign of terror?

no, i think if he's not gone within a week he could be hanging from the tyne bridge

The entire situation smaks of "apples and Oranges" really. He said, they said etc etc etc.

My take on it, if the latest news is to be believed, is that up until this transfer window, Keegan had the responsibility of working with Wise to find players to mprove the team.

The strategic plan set in place by the board was too follow the example set by Wenger and Arsenal and after scouring the world for talent, Wise and Cop. recommended a list of players to Keegan, including Nasri, Sshweinsteiger and Valdo.

Keegan provided a list of players including Beckham, Henry, Ronaldinho, and Lampard. These players, either at the end of their careers would have no long term benefit to the club and therefore, they were disregarded and quite rightly so.

Because of this Keegan got into a strop and transfer matters were taken out of his hands and became solely the responsibility of the recruiting team.

I totally agree with the decisions made by the board, if this is really the case. There is no doubting in my mind that the sale of Milner was a great piece of business for the money we got and way above even Keegans valuation of the player. The fact that Scheinsteiger turned us down at the last minute may well have accentuated the problem further due to the limited time to find a replacement. This may not have been the recruitment teams fault.

If these reports are to be believed and the statement from the board is correct, I fail to see how they had no other alternative but to let Keegan go. To try and sign those players for that money quoted is going back to the dark old days of recruiting the likes of Owen, Luque, Boumsong etc for vastly oversized transfer fees.

Furthermore, the board seem to have a clear plan on where they want to take the club over the next 3 to 5 years. Like it or not, Newcastle United Football Club is a multi million pound business like most other clubs and to run it without a logical business plan, outside budgetary constraints is tantamount to corporate suicide.

Keegan has a history of histrionics, spats, strops and dummy spitting. If it is correct that it was written into his contract that he had to pay the club compensation if he resigned, then the only real mistaKe the club have made is to appoint him in the first place. He was clearly not the person to fit into this management structure and to a certain extent, you cannot really blame Keegan for accepting the challenge.

I remember just prior to his leaving Manchester City, the common complaints from the players surrounded his method of tactical nouse and the type of training they were being asked to do. There was almost a player revolt there over this. The club should have researched their appointment more thoroughly and they are to be blamed for thinking with their hearts and not their heads here.

There is probably a thousand different scenarios and conspiracy theories bounding around the place on this topis at present and I doubt any poster will know or get to know the whole truth of the matter. Lies and distorted truths may have been told by both sides to seek sympathy from the media, public and fans but it boils down to two things, reputations and money. Unfortuinately, I doubt either party will ever come out of this with reputations intact and if the club threaten to sue Keegan as per the allegeded clause in his contract, then his soccer circus debt will pale into insignificance in comparison to what he will end up paying the club.

A whole new transition is the only way forward. Keegan has gone and he will not be coming back. Those who adore him, get used to the idea and move on.

201 pages is a lot of reading, but having completed that task, may I give kudos to indi (and Baggio) who are giving voice to the 17% of N-O voters who feel that absolutely everyone is responsible for the current debacle... In a debate where passions are inflamed and some posters lose their heads (and not a few violent threats!), it is heartening to see that not all NUFC fans are about to take up pitchforks and torches and march on SJP.

Having read through this thread and the Dennis Wise thread, I'm still at a loss to see why Wise has been cast as the villain? What evidence is there that Wise was the one who "undermined" Keegan, that he leaked stories, that he fought some power play, that his goal is to manage NUFC (in fact, didn't he leave Leeds because he wanted to get out of full-time management?)

I don't have enough information to form solid opinions, but it seems more logical that, if there was any undermining was going on, then it would more likely be Llambias and Jimenez?

Deschamps for the Toon! :lol:

This is all ridicolous, but I found the latest club statement (6th Sept.) pretty retarded, and I support King Kev in what he's done.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, when appointed got promised alot more than what he got.

It is a fact that mr. Keegan has right when he said that NUFC wount be battling the Top 4 nor Top6 nor Top 10 for that matter, with the team we have and no availability to get in more power because the board want to act as Arsenal #2 - but they wount give Kevin the time it takes. Ref.: his PR jippo, where the board called him up and said it was BS.

It is a fact that King Kev resigned due to retarded people at higher ranks then himself.

See Board of NUFC, I can do too! :)

Guest Heneage

He got promised more money, but on everything else he agreed. Yes the club lied, but as much as I adore Kev he has to take some blame.

201 pages is a lot of reading, but having completed that task, may I give kudos to indi (and Baggio) who are giving voice to the 17% of N-O voters who feel that absolutely everyone is responsible for the current debacle... In a debate where passions are inflamed and some posters lose their heads (and not a few violent threats!), it is heartening to see that not all NUFC fans are about to take up pitchforks and torches and march on SJP.

Having read through this thread and the Dennis Wise thread, I'm still at a loss to see why Wise has been cast as the villain? What evidence is there that Wise was the one who "undermined" Keegan, that he leaked stories, that he fought some power play, that his goal is to manage NUFC (in fact, didn't he leave Leeds because he wanted to get out of full-time management?)

I don't have enough information to form solid opinions, but it seems more logical that, if there was any undermining was going on, then it would more likely be Llambias and Jimenez?

Deschamps for the Toon! :lol:

top, top post

i've been shocked the way some people have been carrying on - lets face it KK had us playing well but i'm not 100% convinced another manager couldn't emulate it with the same group of players...just not sure where these people are going to go if we bring in the new arsene wenger or something and start the hull game by winning 7-0 with glorious football and go on to have a great season

nothing has changed in the grand scheme, we got what a lot of people wanted, i.e. rid of shep & an end to the boom/bust spending cycle

i still think ashley will sell up now but if he doesn't we've got to move on and make it work; if he gets the investors he's seeking then we'll see more investment in players, if he doesn't then we'll just have to hope his judgement in wise & co's scouting is sound won't we which so far is looking quite good imo to be fair

Keegan provided a list of players including Beckham, Henry, Ronaldinho, and Lampard. These players, either at the end of their careers would have no long term benefit to the club and therefore, they were disregarded and quite rightly so.

I still can't believe that anyone actually thinks this is true. Apart from making Keegan sound stupid which he isn't, he has said many times since Jan that he knew the budget was reasonable but not substantial (a lie by the eay).

Also this "long term benefit" is shite - just say it was true, how is wanting to try and win something NOW and not in 5 years time so wrong?

I still can't believe that anyone actually thinks this is true. Apart from making Keegan sound stupid which he isn't, he has said many times since Jan that he knew the budget was reasonable but not substantial (a lie by the eay).

Also this "long term benefit" is shite - just say it was true, how is wanting to try and win something NOW and not in 5 years time so wrong?

it's not shite actually is it?  it's how every single club in the PL is operating now with the exception of the mega-rich, seeing players as investments, if they don't not only will the not be able to compete but they'd probably go under

just think what it would cost to purchase and pay for lampard, beckham and henry man...get it now?

it's not shite actually is it?  it's how every single club in the PL is operating now with the exception of the mega-rich, seeing players as investments, if they don't not only will the not be able to compete but they'd probably go under

just think what it would cost to purchase and pay for lampard, beckham and henry man...get it now?

I'm talking about the attitude not those players which as I said were always ridiculous.

Medium/long term benefit is fine but as I said elsewhere we're expected to just sit back and wait for it to bear fruit and in the meantime get nowhere near the business end of the league.

One of my main objections to Allardyce was that he suggested we had to wait 3 to 5 years before seeing any sort of challenge.

A combination of this long term "Arsenal" thing which nobody has argued against combined with an initial spree is what was required in my view - not £200m but I certainly expected the new TV money and the usual ST cash (not even thinking of 3 years worth) to mean a decent £30m-40m being spent. What we have now is a cash rich club with a small, average squad I just hope that means its ripened for sale.

NJS

Why do you believe it is not true then?

Why would the club come out with such a statement if there wasnt an element of truth about it? After all, Keegan had already admitted that his dream player would be Henry. Ronaldinho and Lampard were available this summer too. Keegan has a history of buying "blue chip" players and the fact that he wanted recognised premiership players in his squad supports the report.

Do you believe Lampard is worth 150K a week? Do you believe Ronaldinho is worth 200K a week? To be honest, these players would be looking for one last big pay day before retirement anyway so they would be of little benefit to the club.

I personally have had my fill of these types of players representing our club and believe the plan put in place by the board is the best way forward when you take into account demographics, budgets and status.

NJS

Why do you believe it is not true then?

Why would the club come out with such a statement if there wasnt an element of truth about it?

Because as I said Keegan has made several statements since January which stated that he knew there wasn't going to be a huge budget. We are expected to believe he said all that and then presented that list. Take for example his post Chelsea comments where he said something like "we won't touch them even if we spent stupid money which we aren't going to"

I could see him suggesting Ronaldinho after Man City were supposedly after him but a multi-list including Lampard? - no way.

It's also a myth that Keegan always signed top notch players - Shearer is the only one and even he was supposedly a "gift" from Hall.

The wages thing is a strange one - of course they are stupid but then again I want to see good players and they cost money. Again you say "little benefit to the club" but I'd say challenging for UEFA places is a benefit.

The club have realised that there is a lot of resentment over this. Despite what Indi thinks I actually do have a bit of disappointment in Keegan for not putting more effort into it and leaving us in a bit of a mess but statements which contain at best distortions of the truth and a smear campaign making out someone I respect to be an idiot will only harden my attitude.

There have been times in the past that even knowing Hall and Shepherd had major failings that I still defended NUFC to the hilt because I still saw it as my club. That isn't the case now.

Regarding the so called war chest. Keegan said the money would be there for the right players. evidently that was the case ie modric bid, young potential superstar players or established ones still on the up or could give us great service for more than a couple of years . lampard etc were not the right players, they didnt tick the boxes we as a club were looking for. what is becoming evident is that keegan knew the rules, however stupid they are/were. 

NJS

It would seem that he gave up much hope of quick success after the Chelsea defeat and the rot set in after that. It is widely regarded that Wise and Keegan had two separate lists of players during the last transfer window and as it would seem that most of the players signed for the club have been instigated by the recruitment team and not on Keegans list, it would be fair to state that some of those players mentioned in my previous post could have been on Keegans list, especially in light of the regard he has for Henry.

As for previous big signings, I would say the 6 million he paid for Ferdinand, breaking the record for a defender in signing Warren Barton, the 7.5 million he spent on Asprilla and not forgetting 13 million on Anelka at City over and above the Shearer signing shows his penchant for signing established players rather than promising ones.

Furthermore, some of the younger players he signed for the club did not really go on to be a huge success during his first spell. Players such as Mathie, Huckerby, Holland and to a lesser extent, Gillespie didnt really pull any trees at NUFC. Andy Cole would have been the only youngster he signed to go on and succeed at NUFC.

This support the argument that Keegan could really only look to established, highly valued stars rather than potential youngsters with sell on values which is clearly what the current regime are interested in.

This is the major reason why I believe this entire farce has occurred due largely to the belief that Keegan was unable to act on transfers in line with the plans estblished by the owner and board therefore requiring an alteration in responsibilities.

Macca:

The "two lists" rumour previous to this week suggested a list of moderate/low value players - I expect Guthrie was on it as well as Richard Dunne - nothing wrong in that.

Theres also nothing wrong in principle with a team of people suggesting new talent and I don't think Keegan had a problem with that as long as his input/say was taken into account.

I also remember when we signed Ferdinand that the other team in for him was Villa - none of Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal or Blackburn were in for him or for any of the other players you mention (ie they weren't the top, top players). It's true he had some failures in squad players but he also made very shrewd signings in people like Rob Lee, Scott Sellars an Ruel Fox.

As I keep saying a mixed approach is the correct one in my view - up and coming players alongside "instant" fixes - I feel if we do get a spanish coach or someone like that then we will be expected to accept one side of the coin for the forseeable future - not a prospect I relish.

Edit: I'd also add that this emphasis on "sell on value" is at odds with any kind of real ambition and the way fans see Newcastle United.

Guest SmileyCulture

it's probably been posted a million times already (i just can't be arsed to read 200 pages of utter s****) but as far as the latest club statement goes, i quickly remember the quotes from wise just after he turned up and everyone wanted to know what he was here to do:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/02/02/kevin-keegan-demands-newcastle-flops-put-on-a-show-for-loyal-fans-115875-20306409/

"I'm here to help Kevin, bringing young players through and also recommend certain players to him."

"He'll say yes and no, he has the final word, no-one else. Everything that happens will be run past him."

"I'm not going to bring players in behind his back - I'm not into that.

"A lot of people have got mixed up with the reason why I am here. I'm not here to be involved in the first team, I'm not here to manage.

"I have to concentrate more on the academy, we need some young blood coming through of our own. We need to look abroad for players and that's my intention over the next few years."

It deffinately suggests that Wise' role wasn't presented quite as clearly to Keegan as the club now say. Shame most of the other sites that had it seem to have taken it down.

it's probably been posted a million times already (i just can't be arsed to read 200 pages of utter s****) but as far as the latest club statement goes, i quickly remember the quotes from wise just after he turned up and everyone wanted to know what he was here to do:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/02/02/kevin-keegan-demands-newcastle-flops-put-on-a-show-for-loyal-fans-115875-20306409/

"I'm here to help Kevin, bringing young players through and also recommend certain players to him."

"He'll say yes and no, he has the final word, no-one else. Everything that happens will be run past him."

"A lot of people have got mixed up with the reason why I am here. I'm not here to be involved in the first team, I'm not here to manage.

"I have to concentrate more on the academy, we need some young blood coming through of our own. We need to look abroad for players and that's my intention over the next few years."

It deffinately suggests that Wise' role wasn't presented quite as clearly to Keegan as the club now say. Shame most of the other sites that had it seem to have taken it down.

so is there any evidence whatsoever that wise was the man who caused the problems with KK and fucked his targets off etc..?  'cause i ain't seen any myself

so is there any evidence whatsoever that wise was the man who caused the problems with KK and fucked his targets off etc..?  'cause i ain't seen any myself

I think the club statement's emphasis on the director of football who Keegan works under suggests Wise.

Does The statement said: "NUFC wished, at all times, to keep any dispute that it had with Kevin Keegan private..

"It is therefore disappointing that information has reached the media through unnamed sources and a briefing has been given by the League Managers Association that could give rise to a misleading impression amongst the club's fans"Newcastle United have no desire to engage in a war of words, but inaccurate reporting of factual matters and inaccurate allegations have to be corrected.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, on appointment on January 16, 2008, agreed to report to a director of football and to the board.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from January 16, 2008 until his resignation.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan was allowed to manage his specific duties without any interference from any board member.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan agreed only to deal with the media in relation to club matters relating to the team and not to communicate with the media in relation to the acquisition or disposal of players.

"It is a fact that NUFC is a business and operates, like all businesses, with financial constraints.

"It is a fact that NUFC's financial constraints inform its transfer dealings.

"The board of NUFC have responsibility to ensure that the club is able to meet its commitments, which include the wages and the transfer fees for players.

"The structure at NUFC is clear, and has been clear from January 16, 2008."

this statement worry antone n this board?

I for one am deeply concerned about it for a number of reasons.

Firstly we are all (directors and fans) in a state of flux, now is the time to put differences to one side and all pull together. In all difficulties in businesses between two sides there is an element of truth in both sides of the arguement. The key issue is not who was correct, but how we are all going move forward from here? The directors and many of the fans (Who are stakeholders in this business - and extremely important ones at that) need to work together. I personally feel that this statement is aimed at being devisive rather than cohesive. As a stakeholder in a business and a MD of my own I to aliemnated my customer base seems rather strange, especially as football fans are rather more passionate about the business than other market areas. The directors and the publiucity officers need to be workiung over time to put at least some positive spin on this for EVERYONES sake.

Secondly the FACTS stated sound and read like some petulant school boy who has misread an exam question and is finding blame with somene else. This methodology will do nothing to engender unity within the club. We are called Newcastle United not for nothing.

Newcastle may or may not be a big club, but one thing is certain we do hold a unique position in the local community where the club is supported by so many (ages, sexes etc). Will the attitude of these directors set us back? I think so.

Finally we are all fans of the club, and most of us have been for all our lives (win, lose or draw) and will be hopefully for long into the future. If we want to protest can we do so in a manner that is both original, hardhitting, but not detrimental to the club. What about 10 minutes silence at the start of the match for the loss of our manager (regardless of what happens on the pitch) followed by the passion that was there for JKeegans first ever game as our manager (if you can remember this)

Guest SmileyCulture

Does The statement said: "NUFC wished, at all times, to keep any dispute that it had with Kevin Keegan private..

"It is therefore disappointing that information has reached the media through unnamed sources and a briefing has been given by the League Managers Association that could give rise to a misleading impression amongst the club's fans"Newcastle United have no desire to engage in a war of words, but inaccurate reporting of factual matters and inaccurate allegations have to be corrected.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, on appointment on January 16, 2008, agreed to report to a director of football and to the board.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from January 16, 2008 until his resignation.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan was allowed to manage his specific duties without any interference from any board member.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan agreed only to deal with the media in relation to club matters relating to the team and not to communicate with the media in relation to the acquisition or disposal of players.

"It is a fact that NUFC is a business and operates, like all businesses, with financial constraints.

"The board of NUFC have responsibility to ensure that the club is able to meet its commitments, which include the wages and the transfer fees for players.

Firstly we are all (directors and fans) in a state of flux, now is the time to put differences to one side and all pull together. In all difficulties in businesses between two sides there is an element of truth in both sides of the arguement. The key issue is not who was correct, but how we are all going move forward from here? The directors and many of the fans (Who are stakeholders in this business - and extremely important ones at that) need to work together. I personally feel that this statement is aimed at being devisive rather than cohesive. As a stakeholder in a business and a MD of my own I to aliemnated my customer base seems rather strange, especially as football fans are rather more passionate about the business than other market areas. The directors and the publiucity officers need to be workiung over time to put at least some positive spin on this for EVERYONES sake.

Secondly the FACTS stated sound and read like some petulant school boy who has misread an exam question and is finding blame with somene else. This methodology will do nothing to engender unity within the club. We are called Newcastle United not for nothing.

Newcastle may or may not be a big club, but one thing is certain we do hold a unique position in the local community where the club is supported by so many (ages, sexes etc). Will the attitude of these directors set us back? I think so.

Finally we are all fans of the club, and most of us have been for all our lives (win, lose or draw) and will be hopefully for long into the future. If we want to protest can we do so in a manner that is both original, hardhitting, but not detrimental to the club. What about 10 minutes silence at the start of the match for the loss of our manager (regardless of what happens on the pitch) followed by the passion that was there for JKeegans first ever game as our manager (if you can remember this)

Considering it could cost Keegan £2m, we loose a great manager and the club try to make out that he's just had a tantrum and f***ed off because he didn't get his own way; i think it's pretty important that we establish who's lying. How can we trust the board/owner to support the club fully when they treat managers like that? (especialy with the debacle of a transfer window we just had.)

so is there any evidence whatsoever that wise was the man who caused the problems with KK and f***ed his targets off etc..?  'cause i ain't seen any myself

That's not the point i was making, i was saying that the board/owner mislead Keegan and presumably even Wise based on his statement regarding the understanding of his own role. Considering he's the one that chose to bring in players Keegan wasn't happy with (and it's being suggest he didn't even know about) i'd say that the problems do revolve around this misunderstanding/lie)

Guest Micktoon

Regardless of who's to blame for this whole bloody debacle. A proffesional business should not be issueing a statement such as the one issued by the club. This whole situation, again regardless of blame, has been handled in a shambolic, amateur and childish fashion by the multi millio pound business that is Newcastle United.

The end result is that us the fans, the beating heart of the club, who have been there long before Keegan, Ashley, Wise, etc and who will be there long after, have been treat like a bunch of cunts.

We laugh a the charvers who appear in front of the sky cameras then the club release a statement which could have been written by one of them. Even if KK was at fault ( for the record I don't believe so) I cannot fathom, with the strength of public opinion being vented against them, why the club hasn't tried to calm the atmosphere. All they've done is pour petrol onto it.

The bottom line is that I feel that there is no way back for Ashley and Co unless they can pull of the worlds greatest PR stunt to turn this situaton around.

From a personal stand point I'm left feeling frustrated and embarrased that our club has yet again been made to be the laughing stock of the country and a journalists wet dream.

When is Newcastle United Football Club going to be run proffesionally.

i expected this statement from the club, and it's pretty damning for KK really - i'll now expect a counter claim from him no doubt

this will drag on

as for wise & "Considering he's the one that chose to bring in players Keegan wasn't happy with (and it's being suggest he didn't even know about) i'd say that the problems do revolve around this misunderstanding/lie)" i've seen nothing from KK to suggest he was unhappy with jonas/colo/bassong/guthrie have you?  he got them playing well and talked them up a fair deal in the press

you still don't know it was Wise who brought the players in do you?  i'd have thought it more likely it was the ex-real scout guy given where most of them came from and, frankly, your own quotes from wise there actually back this up

seems to me people are screaming about wise 'cause they detest him from his playing days - for all anyone knows it might be veterre & the other guy shafting KK right?  unless i missed some massive piece of insider knowledge like

Couldn't agree more.  The statement from the club is embarrassing.  The fact that the entire scenario should have been completely avoidable simply makes the Club's statement even more pathetic.