Sunderland could be the next Leeds United ?

Benwell Lad

Paying (slightly) over the odds to get players of a quality level that help the club progress but wouldnt perhaps have come due to the club currently being less attractive due to a few mediocre seasons, geographic location, no European football or whatever is exactly what we should have been doing more these last couple of months. Investment doesn't guarantee succes, but it certainly increases the likelihood of it.

the phrase we've been searching for for months

Guest optimistic nit

their not just paying slightly over the odds though.

dont get me wrong, i think sunderland have improved, but i just cant see them being able to match that level of investment next year while still paying for this lot.

How do you know how much their owners will be willing to splash next season? From what they've done this transfer window I would suggest it's pretty clear they have set their sights high and are willing to invest accordingly.

Oh, and didn't they spend a lot last season as well, only the level of player they could attract was lower because they had only just come up and were prime candidates to go down. As they continue to progress they will be able to attract a higher profile of player, and seeing as they've spent big in every major transfer window since their takeover I would like to know what makes you think it will stop soon?

we'll see. maybe they'll be able to match it next year maybe not, but the year after, and the one after that?

we may well be hampered in our spending because we're giving a lot of very average players a lot of money, but what happens when they want to replace the ferdinands, the malbranques and the dioufs (who are not brilliant players, although they are good) and find they dont want to go because they are being paid 60K a week a piece and no one will pay them that much. they don't have a bottomless pit of money.

dont get me wrong, i think sunderland have improved, but i just cant see them being able to match that level of investment next year while still paying for this lot.

How do you know how much their owners will be willing to splash next season? From what they've done this transfer window I would suggest it's pretty clear they have set their sights high and are willing to invest accordingly.

Oh, and didn't they spend a lot last season as well, only the level of player they could attract was lower because they had only just come up and were prime candidates to go down. As they continue to progress they will be able to attract a higher profile of player, and seeing as they've spent big in every major transfer window since their takeover I would like to know what makes you think it will stop soon?

we'll see. maybe they'll be able to match it next year maybe not, but the year after, and the one after that?

we may well be hampered in our spending because we're giving a lot of very average players a lot of money, but what happens when they want to replace the ferdinands, the malbranques and the dioufs (who are not brilliant players, although they are good) and find they dont want to go because they are being paid 60K a week a piece and no one will pay them that much. they don't have a bottomless pit of money.

If those three players you mention had signed for us this transfer window countless people would have been quite happy I imagine. Hell, they're happy with Danny Guthrie and Bassong who are a damn sight less proven in this league..

Guest mobiius

Sunderland wont go down.  And all business analysts are cocks.

aye fancy them building our hopes up. COCKS but then again how sweet would it be if they did. :celb: :celb:

Not sure Sunderland had to go on such a mad spending spree.

Always felt the bottom 3 were pretty much nailed on this year and Sunderland even on last years squad may have just about had enough to see themselves safe this year.

Mind I think losing Kenwyne Jones made them shit themselves

Anyone got n idea of how much Keane has now spent in his tenure. Seem to think she shelled out a fair amount last year too

If those three players you mention had signed for us this transfer window countless people would have been quite happy I imagine. Hell, they're happy with Danny Guthrie and Bassong who are a damn sight less proven in this league..

I think Guthrie and Bassong are very shrewd acquisitions and Jonas and Coloccini excellent ones.

Sorry but the only player Sunderland have signed who I think would have been good for us is McCartney, none of the others are any better than squad players we already have.

I think Guthrie and Bassong are very shrewd acquisitions and Jonas and Coloccini excellent ones.

Sorry but the only player Sunderland have signed who I think would have been good for us is McCartney, none of the others are any better than squad players we already have.

You think we have someone better than Malbranque in the middle of the park?

the joy of it is they don't play him there

still clinging to this cliche-driven drivel that has been used for ages to undermine certain personalities - who had a damn sight more idea than you care to admit, or are too dumb to realise.

Fact is, the mackems themselves are one of the biggest clubs in the country, and if they get their act together are just as capable as us of continuing and improving a good situation if they create one and getting in among the other top clubs.

After all, they are now following their example, instead of scratting around the lower leagues and free transfer market for bargains. Co-incidentally, our own rise when we moved ahead of them followed exactly the same change in policy that they have now adopted, rather than one adopted by a club like pompey who spend decades in the lower leagues then get lucky for a year or two.

If you don't get it by now, you never will.

Unbelievabe. I would have thought the actions of Keegan over the last day or two would have woken people like you  up at last.

the joy of it is they don't play him there

nevertherless, there has been a number of people wetting their knickers over the past few years at the prospect of us signing "Steed"

still clinging to this cliche-driven drivel that has been used for ages to undermine certain personalities on here - who had a damn sight more idea than you care to admit, or are too dumb to realise.

Fact is, the mackems themselves are one of the biggest clubs in the country, and if they get their act together are just as capable as us of continuing and improving a good situation if they create one and getting in among the other top clubs.

After all, they are following their example. Not a tin pot club like pompey who spend decades in the lower leagues then get lucky for a year or two.

Unbelievabe. I would have thought the actions of Keegan over the last day or two would have woken people like you  up at last.

you reckon ? so how is it there turn over on similar sized attendances to ours is massivly lower ? and that means financing arrangments for debt are massivly different.

the only way SAfC will get through this is by their backers bankrolling/guaranteeing debt for a while.

Yes I do. A couple actually and they're probably better suited to playing and living in the north east long term.

If Malbranque is still a regular starter for Sunderland and playing well at the end of the season I may review my opinion.

still clinging to this cliche-driven drivel that has been used for ages to undermine certain personalities on here - who had a damn sight more idea than you care to admit, or are too dumb to realise.

After all, they are following their example. Not a tin pot club like pompey who spend decades in the lower leagues then get lucky for a year or two.

you reckon ? so how is it there turn over on similar sized attendances to ours is massivly lower ? and that means financing arrangments for debt are massivly different.

the only way SAfC will get through this is by their backers bankrolling/guaranteeing debt for a while.

I slightly edited the post to make it clearer.

Don't suppose you will understand.

Continue considering NUFC should compete at the level of clubs with 20,000 gates if you like.

Next time a cockney journo spouts that we are all stupid for thinking we are a big club, and at Kevin Keegan trying to tell them that we are a big club and a unique one, I expect to see you agreeing with the same cockney journo that we are nothing of the kind.

This is what they are laughing at, when they do. At people like you. Because they know deep down that we would wipe the floor with their own darlings if we really got our act together, a fact which Keegan also knows, and what has led to his frustration of the last few days.

I slightly edited the post to make it clearer.

Don't suppose you will understand.

Continue considering NUFC should compete at the level of clubs with 20,000 gates if you like.

Next time a cockney journo spouts that we are all stupid for thinking we are a big club, and at Kevin Keegan trying to tell them that we are a big club and a unique one, I expect to see you agreeing with the same cockney journo that we are nothing of the kind.

This is what they are laughing at, when they do. At people like you. Because they know deep down that we would wipe the floor with their own darlings if we really got our act together, a fact which Keegan also knows, and what has led to his frustration of the last few days.

how ? we are only starting to get the wage bill under control,which in time should give us more to spend on transfers....or are you still advocating your"spend what you haven't got and deal with the consequences later" policy ?

Guest optimistic nit

still clinging to this cliche-driven drivel that has been used for ages to undermine certain personalities - who had a damn sight more idea than you care to admit, or are too dumb to realise.

After all, they are now following their example, instead of scratting around the lower leagues and free transfer market for bargains. Co-incidentally, our own rise when we moved ahead of them followed exactly the same change in policy that they have now adopted, rather than one adopted by a club like pompey who spend decades in the lower leagues then get lucky for a year or two.

you can hide behind phrases like "cliche driven drivel" and that last sentance if you want, but its not going to change my point of view. i dont think sunderland's business plan is going to work, and i think they'll run out of money in 2-3 years, if they continue with their current stragtegy. thats my point of view and its not going to change. maybe i'm wrong but we wont find out for another 2 years and you certainly dont know the answer.

you obviously haven't seen or understand the quote by whatever, earlier on.

There are 2 types of directors in football. There are the ones who have drive and ambition that make them want their clubs to be successul, and there are those afraid to take risks.

You prefer the shrinking violet types. Your prerogative of course, but Kevin Keegan doesn't agree with you.

Hope you enjoy the balance sheet, but personally, I would rather play in europe regularly, and fill the stadium.

The irony of course, is if or when the club start buying top quality players ie punching their weight, you'll be pissing your pants saying how great it is. Like many others too.

There are 2 types of directors in football. There are the ones who have drive and ambition that make them want their clubs to be successul, and there are those afraid to take risks.

You prefer the shrinking violet types. Your prerogative of course, but Kevin Keegan doesn't agree with you.

Hope you enjoy the balance sheet, but personally, I would rather play in europe regularly, and fill the stadium.

The irony of course, is if or when the club start buying top quality players ie punching their weight, you'll be pissing your pants saying how great it is. Like many others too.

i'd rather be in europe regular aswell.................we have more chance achieving it this season than the last 3 or 4.

by the way there are lots of different types of directors. have you considered the peter ridsdale type of spend it now and fuck the consequences type......seems your type of bloke.

you can hide behind phrases like "cliche driven drivel" and that last sentance if you want, but its not going to change my point of view. i dont think sunderland's business plan is going to work, and i think they'll run out of money in 2-3 years, if they continue with their current stragtegy. thats my point of view and its not going to change. maybe i'm wrong but we wont find out for another 2 years and you certainly dont know the answer.

Well, I'll tell you something else. If Mike Ashley is still owner of the club in 2 years time, and doesn't change his attitude, neither will we.

But, as has been said "spending money doesn't guarantee success but it improves your chances" and if the mackems are more prepared to speculate than us, they have a damn sight better chance of succeeding.

Have you actually been in this world and saw how they have performed for the last 20 years with a chairman who "put the business first"

Which has been pretty much exactly the same as NUFC were for previous decades ourselves..........

Well, I'll tell you something else. If Mike Ashley is still owner of the club in 2 years time, and doesn't change his attitude, neither will we.

But, as has been said "spending money doesn't guarantee success but it improves your chances" and if the mackems are more prepared to speculate than us, they have a damn sight better chance of succeeding.

Have you actually been in this world and saw how they have performed for the last 20 years with a chairman who "put the business first"

Which has been pretty much exactly the same as NUFC were for previous decades ourselves..........

their chairman didn't put business first. they outspent us a few times on shit,peyter reid spent a lot.

the plan is if you spend ,spend clever,if you spend and go backwards often, you are doing it wrong.

i'd rather be in europe regular aswell.................we have more chance achieving it this season than the last 3 or 4.

by the way there are lots of different types of directors. have you considered the peter ridsdale type of spend it now and fuck the consequences type......seems your type of bloke.

cherry picking.

Pathetic.

We aren't talking about Peter Ridsdale. We are talking about the tried and tested method of being successul. We are talking about how the successful clubs are successful. As in Keegans first time too. So grow up and stop resorting to silly one offs like that or don't bother me with such negative rubbish.

by the way there are lots of different types of directors. have you considered the peter ridsdale type of spend it now and f*** the consequences type......seems your type of bloke.

cherry picking.

Pathetic.

We aren't talking about Peter Ridsdale. We are talking about the tried and tested method of being successul. We are talking about how the successful clubs are successful. As in Keegans first time too. So grow up and stop resorting to silly one offs like that or don't bother me with such negative rubbish.

ok lets talk about being succesfull. i'll start....souness,roeder, allardyce ?

their chairman didn't put business first. they outspent us a few times on shit,peyter reid spent a lot.

the plan is if you spend ,spend clever,if you spend and go backwards often, you are doing it wrong.

Please tell us how many times we qualified for europe and how many times we didn't ?

And also tell us how many clubs attracted more supporters through the gates ?

Then tell us how many of those paid their money to a club they considered was going backwards ?

Then tell us what you think of Mike Ashleys ticket sales policy, and how many are going through the gates ?