Sunderland could be the next Leeds United ?

Benwell Lad

their not just paying slightly over the odds though.

dont get me wrong, i think sunderland have improved, but i just cant see them being able to match that level of investment next year while still paying for this lot.

How do you know how much their owners will be willing to splash next season? From what they've done this transfer window I would suggest it's pretty clear they have set their sights high and are willing to invest accordingly.

Oh, and didn't they spend a lot last season as well, only the level of player they could attract was lower because they had only just come up and were prime candidates to go down. As they continue to progress they will be able to attract a higher profile of player, and seeing as they've spent big in every major transfer window since their takeover I would like to know what makes you think it will stop soon?

we'll see. maybe they'll be able to match it next year maybe not, but the year after, and the one after that?

we may well be hampered in our spending because we're giving a lot of very average players a lot of money, but what happens when they want to replace the ferdinands, the malbranques and the dioufs (who are not brilliant players, although they are good) and find they dont want to go because they are being paid 60K a week a piece and no one will pay them that much. they don't have a bottomless pit of money.

still clinging to this cliche-driven drivel that has been used for ages to undermine certain personalities on here - who had a damn sight more idea than you care to admit, or are too dumb to realise.

Fact is, the mackems themselves are one of the biggest clubs in the country, and if they get their act together are just as capable as us of continuing and improving a good situation if they create one and getting in among the other top clubs.

After all, they are following their example. Not a tin pot club like pompey who spend decades in the lower leagues then get lucky for a year or two.

Unbelievabe. I would have thought the actions of Keegan over the last day or two would have woken people like you  up at last.

you reckon ? so how is it there turn over on similar sized attendances to ours is massivly lower ? and that means financing arrangments for debt are massivly different.

the only way SAfC will get through this is by their backers bankrolling/guaranteeing debt for a while.

you obviously haven't seen or understand the quote by whatever, earlier on.

There are 2 types of directors in football. There are the ones who have drive and ambition that make them want their clubs to be successul, and there are those afraid to take risks.

You prefer the shrinking violet types. Your prerogative of course, but Kevin Keegan doesn't agree with you.

Hope you enjoy the balance sheet, but personally, I would rather play in europe regularly, and fill the stadium.

The irony of course, is if or when the club start buying top quality players ie punching their weight, you'll be pissing your pants saying how great it is. Like many others too.

i'd rather be in europe regular aswell.................we have more chance achieving it this season than the last 3 or 4.

by the way there are lots of different types of directors. have you considered the peter ridsdale type of spend it now and f*** the consequences type......seems your type of bloke.

cherry picking.

Pathetic.

We aren't talking about Peter Ridsdale. We are talking about the tried and tested method of being successul. We are talking about how the successful clubs are successful. As in Keegans first time too. So grow up and stop resorting to silly one offs like that or don't bother me with such negative rubbish.

ok lets talk about being succesfull. i'll start....souness,roeder, allardyce ?

None of which bankrupted us, correct ?

You've missed out a lot of the post by the way

As usual.

dont get me wrong, i think sunderland have improved, but i just cant see them being able to match that level of investment next year while still paying for this lot.

How do you know how much their owners will be willing to splash next season? From what they've done this transfer window I would suggest it's pretty clear they have set their sights high and are willing to invest accordingly.

Oh, and didn't they spend a lot last season as well, only the level of player they could attract was lower because they had only just come up and were prime candidates to go down. As they continue to progress they will be able to attract a higher profile of player, and seeing as they've spent big in every major transfer window since their takeover I would like to know what makes you think it will stop soon?

we'll see. maybe they'll be able to match it next year maybe not, but the year after, and the one after that?

we may well be hampered in our spending because we're giving a lot of very average players a lot of money, but what happens when they want to replace the ferdinands, the malbranques and the dioufs (who are not brilliant players, although they are good) and find they dont want to go because they are being paid 60K a week a piece and no one will pay them that much. they don't have a bottomless pit of money.

still clinging to this cliche-driven drivel that has been used for ages to undermine certain personalities - who had a damn sight more idea than you care to admit, or are too dumb to realise.

Fact is, the mackems themselves are one of the biggest clubs in the country, and if they get their act together are just as capable as us of continuing and improving a good situation if they create one and getting in among the other top clubs.

After all, they are now following their example, instead of scratting around the lower leagues and free transfer market for bargains. Co-incidentally, our own rise when we moved ahead of them followed exactly the same change in policy that they have now adopted, rather than one adopted by a club like pompey who spend decades in the lower leagues then get lucky for a year or two.

If you don't get it by now, you never will.

Unbelievabe. I would have thought the actions of Keegan over the last day or two would have woken people like you  up at last.

you can hide behind phrases like "cliche driven drivel" and that last sentance if you want, but its not going to change my point of view. i dont think sunderland's business plan is going to work, and i think they'll run out of money in 2-3 years, if they continue with their current stragtegy. thats my point of view and its not going to change. maybe i'm wrong but we wont find out for another 2 years and you certainly dont know the answer.

Well, I'll tell you something else. If Mike Ashley is still owner of the club in 2 years time, and doesn't change his attitude, neither will we.

But, as has been said "spending money doesn't guarantee success but it improves your chances" and if the mackems are more prepared to speculate than us, they have a damn sight better chance of succeeding.

Have you actually been in this world and saw how they have performed for the last 20 years with a chairman who "put the business first"

Which has been pretty much exactly the same as NUFC were for previous decades ourselves..........

their chairman didn't put business first. they outspent us a few times on s***,peyter reid spent a lot.

the plan is if you spend ,spend clever,if you spend and go backwards often, you are doing it wrong.

Please tell us how many times we qualified for europe and how many times we didn't ?

And also tell us how many clubs attracted more supporters through the gates ?

Then tell us how many of those paid their money to a club they considered was going backwards ?

Then tell us what you think of Mike Ashleys ticket sales policy, and how many are going through the gates ?

please tell me if we looked like qualifying for europe under souness,roeder and allardyce ? were we progressing ? or going backwards ?

Guest optimistic nit

spending money is a road to success, but it doesn't guarentee success.

personally, i like what appeared to be our approach. i still think the money is there if we need to spend it, this wasn't about money, it was about ashley trying to get rid of barton and smith, in my opinion, which seems to be the likely explination. i dont want us to start throwing our money around at anyone though, only spend it if it is on the right sort of player (keegan's words himself), and that is the opposite of what sunderland are doing. we will need to spend money to succeed, but if we spend money, and spend it on the wrong sort of players we'll go backwards, like what happened when we sacked robson.

if i start to think the money isn't there, and they are not willing to spend if they find a good player, then i will start to get on the boards back.

we spent 10.3 on a centreback, and talked about getting modric amoungst others. also if keegan didn't believe we had money to spend he'd be gone already.

still clinging to this cliche-driven drivel that has been used for ages to undermine certain personalities - who had a damn sight more idea than you care to admit, or are too dumb to realise.

After all, they are now following their example, instead of scratting around the lower leagues and free transfer market for bargains. Co-incidentally, our own rise when we moved ahead of them followed exactly the same change in policy that they have now adopted, rather than one adopted by a club like pompey who spend decades in the lower leagues then get lucky for a year or two.

you can hide behind phrases like "cliche driven drivel" and that last sentance if you want, but its not going to change my point of view. i dont think sunderland's business plan is going to work, and i think they'll run out of money in 2-3 years, if they continue with their current stragtegy. thats my point of view and its not going to change. maybe i'm wrong but we wont find out for another 2 years and you certainly dont know the answer.

Well, I'll tell you something else. If Mike Ashley is still owner of the club in 2 years time, and doesn't change his attitude, neither will we.

But, as has been said "spending money doesn't guarantee success but it improves your chances" and if the mackems are more prepared to speculate than us, they have a damn sight better chance of succeeding.

Have you actually been in this world and saw how they have performed for the last 20 years with a chairman who "put the business first"

Which has been pretty much exactly the same as NUFC were for previous decades ourselves..........

their chairman didn't put business first. they outspent us a few times on s***,peyter reid spent a lot.

the plan is if you spend ,spend clever,if you spend and go backwards often, you are doing it wrong.

Please tell us how many times we qualified for europe and how many times we didn't ?

Then tell us how many of those paid their money to a club they considered was going backwards ?

Then tell us what you think of Mike Ashleys ticket sales policy, and how many are going through the gates ?

please tell me if we looked like qualifying for europe under souness,roeder and allardyce ? were we progressing ? or going backwards ?

HELLO...HELLO...HELLO...HELLO.........thought not.

Funnily I seem to remember we did actually qualify for Europe in that period? Must have been dreaming I guess.

There is a LOT of talk in Belfast at the moment that Strachan is heading to West Ham, Keane going to Celtic and wait for it, this is the best bit, O'Leary to the mackems!

hehehe that would be brilliant.

would be even better if mclaren somehow ended up in charge there

There is a LOT of talk in Belfast at the moment that Strachan is heading to West Ham, Keane going to Celtic and wait for it, this is the best bit, O'Leary to the mackems!

O'Leary would do quite well at the dark place. He was doing ok at Leeds on a cheque book before the likes of Woodgate and Kewell becam perma crocks.

Not as good as Keane, but he wouldn't be a massive step back for them

so they sacked Allardyce, and the other 2 when they had lost the plot/or it was obvious they weren't going to do it. So whats your point ?

Boards that don't back managers, will NEVER be good enough for big clubs like Newcastle. I don't know how old you are, but ANYBODY who has looked at ourselves when we had Lee, Cox.......and the mackems under Bob Murray should know this by now.

Or maybe they don't - because they just close their eyes and pretend it just depends on whether they think the chairman/owner is a nice bloke or not.

Keegan certainly understands what it takes, doesn't he ? Good managers know they are good, and won't stick around with shit boards that don't back them, and they only go to clubs who they think will back them. Once again, I sadly have to tell you that all boards make some bad appointments, and I'm not pointing out the examples again.

Now who is going to blame me for creating another debate about the old board I wonder ?

For me, unless this week has had a big impact on Mike Ashley, the sooner he sells out to someone else who understands football the better. And even better would be selling the club to someone who re-appoints Keegan, as someone else has pointed out somewhere.

Funnily I seem to remember we did actually qualify for Europe in that period? Must have been dreaming I guess.

precisely, but in madras' little world, we didn't.

via the intertoto.

were we as a club going backwards under souness,roeder and allardyce ?

even the 7th under roeder had us really going backwards were you happy with him ?

Lets get our own house in order first BL.

Well said.

I couldn't give a flying fart about Sunderland

That said, it doesn't benefit NUFC if the makems go tits up.

And I have a  great deal of respect for whatsisname, the chairman  :iamatwat:

I'd prefer at least GOOD supporters to that pile of diseased fairweather smoggies as rivals.

I don't think this is an appropriate time to look at Sunlun and speculate what may happen to them, let alone have some fun at their expense. They have strengthened their squad quite significantly, to the extent where they don't realistically need to prepare for relegation, and I think most people would agree they seem to be moving in the right direction.

Agree totally - no way are they going down this season, and if KK leaves, people ought to be more concerned about NUFC going down than them...

Keane is doing a decent job and if they gradually improve then they will start to get the sort of corporate backing that NUFC used to get..after all, would YOU back NUFC after all this and if KK leaves when you could back what looks to be a more stable club ?

NUFC has become a complete joke, whereas SAFC are making progress - arrogance has often been punished in the crazy world of football(look at once-mighty Leeds now) so don't be tempted to indulge in it;

He who laughs last laughs longest and who know ? Maybe the Fates have decided that its THEIR turn to be Top Dogs - after all NUFC haven't exactly made the most of it..!

to be honest, appropriate or not, ive had a great deal of pleasure in telling a few mackems at work that "ive heard there's some stories going round that you could be in a bit of a financial state" the reaction is class.

Serves the fuckers right for the way they have been tossing themselves off over the past few days.

I don't think this is an appropriate time to look at Sunlun and speculate what may happen to them, let alone have some fun at their expense. They have strengthened their squad quite significantly, to the extent where they don't realistically need to prepare for relegation, and I think most people would agree they seem to be moving in the right direction.

Agree totally - no way are they going down this season, and if KK leaves, people ought to be more concerned about NUFC going down than them...

Keane is doing a decent job and if they gradually improve then they will start to get the sort of corporate backing that NUFC used to get..after all, would YOU back NUFC after all this and if KK leaves when you could back what looks to be a more stable club ?

NUFC has become a complete joke, whereas SAFC are making progress - arrogance has often been punished in the crazy world of football(look at once-mighty Leeds now) so don't be tempted to indulge in it;

He who laughs last laughs longest and who know ? Maybe the Fates have decided that its THEIR turn to be Top Dogs - after all NUFC haven't exactly made the most of it..!

they wont be top dogs, average manager, average players. There big spending wont last forever.

they wont be top dogs, average manager, average players. There big spending wont last forever.

We are the last ones who should be talking about 'big spending not lasting forever' because we haven't even started yet..

Quite a lot of people thought Derby Co had 'average players , average manager' when Clough got them promoted back in 1969..they went on to prove everyone wrong..

Not saying Keane is Clough, but disagree about 'average'..

Remember what I said about arrogance...

They won't go down, but I must admit I have been thinking to myself that they could be in strife if they were to get relegated.

Still, if they got relegated they could just sell off all of their players, and the Sunderland fans are fairly loyal anyway, so they should still get decent attendances in the Championship.

They won't go down, but I must admit I have been thinking to myself that they could be in strife if they were to get relegated.

Still, if they got relegated they could just sell off all of their players, and the Sunderland fans are fairly loyal anyway, so they should still get decent attendances in the Championship.

Agree they're unlikely to go down but the original point was that IF they did they would not be able to shift their players.

Most of their signings were not in big demand but were given long contracts on extremely high wages, which lets face it was the reason they chose to go to Sunderland. It's very unlikely any of those players would find similar terms elsewhere.

Their gates are below 40K already and that is 2 games into a Premiership season where they have spent record amounts and optimism is at an all time high. They'd get better than average crowds in the Championship but that didn't help Leeds, Leicester or indeed Derby so far.

Any club who go down will have financial problems but as the financial guy said IF they did they would have massive problems due to the disproportionately top heavy wage bill they have structured.

Still like you say they're unlikely to go down.

via the intertoto.

even the 7th under roeder had us really going backwards were you happy with him ?

whats wrong with qualifying for the intertoto ? Did we qualify last season via the intertoto ?

We won this competion once, and qualified by finishing 10th.

You will never get it. A board with ambition can always overcome making a mistake with a manager, or even 2, but a board without ambition is a permanent dead duck. You're becoming a waste of time.

Guest optimistic nit

i don't think its wrong to be talking about the mackems, i've been arguing to death over the keegan think for the last 2 days, its nice to have something else to talk about.

via the intertoto.

whats wrong with qualifying for the intertoto ? Did we qualify last season via the intertoto ?

You will never get it. A board with ambition can always overcome making a mistake with a manager, or even 2, but a board without ambition is a permanent dead duck. You're becoming a waste of time.

and you'll never get it...they didn't show ambition in appointing allardyce,souness and roeder.

do you still advocate spending whatever we can get our hands on and worrying about it later ?

via the intertoto.

and you'll never get it...they didn't show ambition in appointing allardyce,souness and roeder.

do you still advocate spending whatever we can get our hands on and worrying about it later ?

I've never said that at all.

You're a waste of time. I'm pleased for you that you still think qualifying for europe is failure, yet think that Mike Ashley has his finger on the pulse ........

You just couldn't make this up if you tried.

We are the last ones who should be talking about 'big spending not lasting forever' because we haven't even started yet..

Quite a lot of people thought Derby Co had 'average players , average manager' when Clough got them promoted back in 1969..they went on to prove everyone wrong..

Not saying Keane is Clough, but disagree about 'average'..

Remember what I said about arrogance...

1969? games changed abit since then.

no arrogance involved either. Roy Keane kept Sunderland up last year by 3 points iirc by spending a fortune on average players. Overall, Keane in the transfer market has been awful, and from what ive seen of them they dont exactly play great football - leading me to the conclusion at the moment, he's an average manager.

Players like Anton, Tiano, Whitehead, Chopra, Mcartney, Bardsley, Yorke, Collins, Nosworthy, Leadbitter, Murphy are pretty much average imo - therefore average team.

No arrogance at all. And just becuase our own team is in a mess doesnt mean i cant take soe satisfaction in the scum having their own problems. In fact its more of a reason too.

via the intertoto.

I've never said that at all.

You're a waste of time. I'm pleased for you that you still think qualifying for europe is failure, yet think that Mike Ashley has his finger on the pulse ........

You just couldn't make this up if you tried.

well who said
Its not the way to run an ambitious football club, the only way to success is to buy the quality players when they are available and worry about balancing the books later.