Who Do You Want As Keegan's Replacement?

Tooj

Now that the transfer window is shut and Ashley has declared he isn't staying, what exactly is stopping Keegan putting himself forward for the job? Surely it's only transfers he's bothered about, and they can't make anymore for a few months anyway.

Plus he loves the club so much to put the differences behind him.

Why is it that no one replies to the most pertinent posts on this forum? Is it because no one can be arsed?

Guardian running with the O`Leary story now

---

David O'Leary may be offered an opportunity to rehabilitate his managerial career at Newcastle United. Derek Llambias, the club's managing director, is a long-standing friend of the Irishman and he and Newcastle's board are giving serious thought to offering O'Leary a short-term contract.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/18/newcastleunited.premierleague

Guest f***thepress

Guardian running with the O`Leary story now

---

David O'Leary may be offered an opportunity to rehabilitate his managerial career at Newcastle United. Derek Llambias, the club's managing director, is a long-standing friend of the Irishman and he and Newcastle's board are giving serious thought to offering O'Leary a short-term contract.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/18/newcastleunited.premierleague

Oh god please noooooooooo ! Havent we suffered enough?

Guest Darth Toon

Steve Bruce's odds tumbling everywhere today. Either the bookies are running scared or someone has lumped quite serious money on him.

Another one to sign up to the "I won't work in Ashley's wonderful new system" club:

Steve Bruce says there is no danger of Wigan becoming the next West Ham or Newcastle as he is given total control over transfer business at The JJB Stadium.

Bruce only has one man to answer to, chairman Dave Whelan, who lets him get on with the job of buying and selling players.

And the Wigan boss insists he is now the envy of many Premier League managers who find their roles restricted to the training pitch.

"I know some managers envy me, absolutely envy me because of what I have here," said Bruce.

"Of course, the chairman has high demands because he wants his club to do well, but he lets you manage and pick the players.

"When I told him we were going to Egypt for (Amr) Zaki, he just wanted to know about the player, and then he let me get on and do my job.

"In that way, I'm very, very grateful, and it sounds as if I'm a dying breed, which is pretty sad to be perfectly honest.

"In Europe, it's worked for years where the manager is really the coach, and they have people above them.

"But there has to be a boss, there has to be somebody who makes the ultimate decision.

"If that doesn't happen and there are two, three, four or five opinions, then you are in trouble.

"So, the chairman lets me manage, and when I need to sign a player I ask him for the money, and it's either a yes or a no. Since I've been here, it's always been a yes.

"I hope that continues and we unearth a few more diamonds like Zaki, and that will keep the chairman very happy."

The Egypt international has been in fine form at the start of the Premier League campaign, netting four times in as many games.

Zaki is only on loan at the JJB Stadium but Bruce confirmed there is a deal in place to make his move permanent.

"There's a deal in place, which we're fortunate to have, that if he meets certain criteria then he is ours, which is very reassuring," added Bruce.

"The deal is ours if we want it. It's written in our way, but it's when we eventually sign him, that's the problem

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/09/18/Prem-Bruce-on-Wigan-situation/

Alan Curbishley insists there has been no contact with Newcastle United regarding the St James' Park managerial vacancy.

A string of names have been linked with the post since Kevin Keegan quit as Magpies boss earlier this month.

Keegan stepped down due to his dissatisfaction with the management structure, while Curbishley recently left West Ham due to the club's transfer dealings.

Reports have suggested that Newcastle could turn to Curbishley to steady the ship following a turbulent start to the season.

But, when asked if there had been any contact with the Magpies, Curbishley told Sky Sports News: "No, there's been none whatsoever."

Curbishley would not be drawn on whether he held an interest in the role on Tyneside and feels the manner of his departure from West Ham was different to Keegan's exit from Newcastle.

He added: "Kevin's situation has been linked with mine, but I think it's a little bit different to what went on.

"I think Newcastle is something that they've got to sort out.

"I don't know if I'm in their plans or not. At the moment I'm just sorting myself out, as you can imagine."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4164315,00.html

O'Leary or Bruce.

For f***'s sake, is this what it's come to?

A step up from Souness or Roeder.

Perhaps, but only in that where Souness or Roeder is like Aids or Cancer, I guess Bruce or O'Leary is more akin to choosing between someone stamping on your head or someone stamping on your balls.

Alan Curbishley insists there has been no contact with Newcastle United regarding the St James' Park managerial vacancy.

A string of names have been linked with the post since Kevin Keegan quit as Magpies boss earlier this month.

Keegan stepped down due to his dissatisfaction with the management structure, while Curbishley recently left West Ham due to the club's transfer dealings.

Reports have suggested that Newcastle could turn to Curbishley to steady the ship following a turbulent start to the season.

But, when asked if there had been any contact with the Magpies, Curbishley told Sky Sports News: "No, there's been none whatsoever."

Curbishley would not be drawn on whether he held an interest in the role on Tyneside and feels the manner of his departure from West Ham was different to Keegan's exit from Newcastle.

He added: "Kevin's situation has been linked with mine, but I think it's a little bit different to what went on.

"I think Newcastle is something that they've got to sort out.

"I don't know if I'm in their plans or not. At the moment I'm just sorting myself out, as you can imagine."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4164315,00.html

Practically begging for the job.

Newcastle assistant boss Chris Hughton has told the Newcastle board to find a new manager quickly. The Magpies are no nearer finding a replacement for Kevin Keegan after owner Mike Ashley returned from the Middle East having failed to sell the club. (The Sun)

Guest icemanblue

Wenger slating our system on SSN. Makes a mockery of the being like Arsenal plan.

It's more like Spurs, I think. Although, this doesn't seem to get picked up on much at all.

Guest Darth Toon

Aye, but who cares what those no-marks think - Keegan was just a huffy bairn for walking out surely?

United boss Sir Alex and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger agree at last! Keegan and Curbishley were harshly done by

Sir Alex Ferguson has stood up for Kevin Keegan and Alan Curbishley

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed his solidarity with Kevin Keegan and Alan

Curbishley who have both resigned as managers this season while Arsene Wenger also expressed his dismay.

Curbishley was first to go at the start of September after becoming disillusioned with West Ham's transfer policy which, he claimed, undermined him.

Keegan then walked out of the job at Newcastle citing similar interference from boardroom level as the main factor for his departure.

Ferguson insists he is in full agreement with the pair and backed their stance.

At a League Managers' Association dinner, Ferguson told Sky Sports News: 'I admire Kevin Keegan and I admire Alan Curbishley because they went on a matter of principle and the principle being - I am not in control of my team any longer.

'Players were being sold over their heads without even acknowledging them. That is not acceptable.

'It is not why you set out to be a manager .. on the whims of a chairman.

'Also, when they change the goalposts - all of a sudden they say "well, I'm sorry, we need to sell these players".

'Yes, there are financial constraints we are all aware of that but when you change halfway through from the start of the season...and the manager is subjected to these problems, it's no longer the same job.

'And so therefore they walk because it's a matter of principle and I totally agree with it.'

Arsenal boss Wenger concurred, and added: 'You don't even know any more - are

you responsible for success or for failure and that is terrible.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1058050/United-boss-Sir-Alex-Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-agree-Keegan-Curbishley-harshly-by.html

Guest Darth Toon

I respect Wenger and Fergie, but they are bound to stick up for a fellow manager above a businessman they've never met, and they don't know what really went on any more than we do.

My preffered situation would be for them to keep their beaks out.

I would imagine people in the game will have a better idea about what's gone on than the average man on the street - Ferguson for one is mates with KK so there's a good chance they've spoken about it in person, or at least have info from reliable sources.

The fact that they likely have personal experience of Dennis Wise is sure to be a factor too - can you imagine either of these chaps answering to that twat?

Add this to the voices of SBR, Shearer etc and it seems a pretty clear consensus is emerging as to who's right and wrong to me - when a managerial tart like Steve Bruce starts distancing himself from your job I reckon you know you have one fuck of a big problem!