I'll give Ashley credit for just one thing...........................

sicsfingeredmong

......................... this refers to him stitching up his business competitors, over replica shirt price-fixing a while back.

It takes some of set of balls to be a whistleblower, and to accept that one will be potentially be known as a 'rat' for the remainder of their business dealing days. That's the inevitable trade-off when an increased share of the merchandising market is the by-product when one rats-out the competition.

He's a thick skinned bugger and ruthless, and i'll give him that much.

I can't see this bloke being forced out of town, and with it selling up for a minimal profit to an interested suitor looking to take advantage of the current climate surrounding SJP.

Newcastle-Upon-Thames to ride this one through for a while yet, and i hope i'm wrong.

I hope you're right, the last thing we need is for him to bail out now because of the emotional reaction to Keegan going. If our fans continue to force out people like Ashley we'll never get anywhere.

Obviously he would sell if a massive offer came in, any businessman would.

Ashley being the thick-skinned bugger he is, will also not want to be run out of toon. I can imagine, if the offer isn't right he'll want to finish what he started. There's already talk coming from his sources of a 5 year plan (yet another one).

I hope you're right, the last thing we need is for him to bail out now because of the emotional reaction to Keegan going. If our fans continue to force out people like Ashley we'll never get anywhere.

Obviously he would sell if a massive offer came in, any businessman would.

I'll bring up the original supporter furore that surrounded Old Trafford when the Glaziers took over United, when there was talk of a possible US-style GM-based system adopted where Glazier's sons would take a more hands-on role in the football front-office. There was talk of Ferguson's influence being diminished in the front-office, to go along with the debts incurred upon the club as a result of the Glazier's buy-in and with it the speculation of a reduced season-by-season transfer kitty & less financial clout given to re-sign players already on the books.

What United's supporters didn't take into account was Glazier's previous track record at Tampa Bay when they could've simply done a 'Bidwell/settle for mediocrity' and cashed-in on the money appropriated to each club by the NFL on an annual basis, by not chasing gun free-agent recruits. To the contrary they didn't ie. signing K.Johnson is one example. Nor did they did they take into account the true extent of United's strength in the Asian market, that being the European club to have made the most headway into that market. What the Glaziers borrowed to buy-in was in essence a debt which was more than manageable, hence they haven't stood still and adopted a tit-for-tat 'buy & sell' approach while painting a doomsday debt scenario for the club as per Ashley & Mort *where as a sidenote the task balancing the club's transfer expenditure is rated highly on the agenda.

*our recent club statement.

It didn't take long for the Glaziers to make their intentions known in terms of backing the manager, if you look at their first 2 or 3 windows. We/our supporters have had the same opportunity to gauge Ashley's ambition in the transfer market. I don't like what i see, and the figures back this up. Over the course of three transfer windows our buying & selling record - where we're bordering on making an operating profit on transfers alone - is taking on the appearance of being a profit making venture for Mr Ashley.

Guest Mucky01

It seems that a lot of people think Ashley can be forced to leave NUFC with ease, they are wrong and it will take a stroke of luck (eg fairytale takeover) or a long hard battle.

Throughout his career he rode roughshod through the business community and never cared for both the people in the industry, or whoever got in his way.

Without doubt he thinks that he’ll win this in the end.

It seems that a lot of people think Ashley can be forced to leave NUFC with ease, they are wrong and it will take a stroke of luck (eg fairytale takeover) or a long hard battle.

Throughout his career he rode roughshod through the business community and never cared for both the people in the industry, or whoever got in his way.

Without doubt he thinks that hell win this in the end.

as Souey and Fat Sam did...

Agreed.

He will only win if fans keep backing the club - without that, he hasn't a product OR a saleable business - even M & S had to back down on GM foods when customers boycotted them...at NUFC it probably won't happen, so he'll be laughing his socks off at the trapped clientle and be there until it suits him

Win what in the end? He's not going for the Premiership title, not even a UEFA cup spot. With the press rumours about everything else being spot on, I think he's looking to sell for a tidy profit. There's not all that much profit in owning a club, and I think we can say for certain that he's not after success on the pitch.

Guest Mucky01

He will only win if fans keep backing the club - without that, he hasn't a product OR a saleable business - even M & S had to back down on GM foods when customers boycotted them...at NUFC it probably won't happen, so he'll be laughing his socks off at the trapped clientle and be there until it suits him

yep, and it was a cunning plan to get season tickets paid up 3 years in advance just before all the crap hit the fan.

Guest Mucky01

Win what in the end? He's not going for the Premiership title, not even a UEFA cup spot. With the press rumours about everything else being spot on, I think he's looking to sell for a tidy profit. There's not all that much profit in owning a club, and I think we can say for certain that he's not after success on the pitch.

the “win” is whatever his goal is/was.

No profit in running a football club, eh! The Halls and Shepherd were taking multi-millions out of the club come rain or shine and NUFC have been making loads of money through TV deals, player sales and cutting of the wage bill without any significant purchases. Even if MA has forked out to pay off the debts that money is still in the equity of the club.

Ive missed all the conversations for a few days, but id like to know. Does anyone on here think Keegan is blameless?

There are some who assume he is. I would like to know more about what happened, I think its highly unlikely he is 100% without blame.

He'll sell for the right price, but it won't be a fire sale, so any investor will have to stump up.

i agree, though smaller crowds at cup games, and poor league form, may just persuade him to get shot.....

Fuck off ashley,

Ive missed all the conversations for a few days, but id like to know. Does anyone on here think Keegan is blameless?

No not really. I think most people know that his attitude certainly added to the problem. He generally gets the benfit of any doubt though. Just up to people to decide whether he has earned that right.

Its just about who was trying to do things in the best interests of the club. We have to hope that they all were but there was a clash over the way they went about it. Most people would assume that Keegan always does things with the fans and the team in mind. People are waiting for Ashley and his guys to prove they do likewise.

I'm not so sure. Bring the wages down to 60% of turnover, maintain a squad capable of premiership survival on £5-£10m per year, maybe even make a profit some years on sales of the young players who develop and show promise, keep gates at 40K+ and merchandising ticking over, and there should be a healthy £20m+ per year to be made. Not bad for a £200m outlay on something which is also a growing investment.

for one thing, if Keegan had no input into signings, who gets the credit for all the players we have signed to date?

Ah, nobody, because Ashley, Wise and Jimenez are Satan's minions.

yeah, its almost like there is this zombie like attraction to keegan without any real fact. yes, keegan is a legend, but that does not mean he is or is not without fault.

I just really think that Keegan wanted it all, and the club wanted specific responsibilities for specific people. If Keegan disagreed with this, he could have at least waited till the end of the season. Quitting just like that is not a service to the club at all.

I think most people assume Guthrie was a Keegan signing, so he obviously had some input. He also had a few trialists in, among them Bassong.

I'm not really sure where this has come from myself. It seems much more likely to me that Guthrie is the sort of player Wise would have been looking at as manager of Leeds.

Keegan was supposedly only interested in Lampard, Henry & Beckham.

No not really. I think most people know that his attitude certainly added to the problem. He generally gets the benfit of any doubt though. Just up to people to decide whether he has earned that right.

Its just about who was trying to do things in the best interests of the club. We have to hope that they all were but there was a clash over the way they went about it. Most people would assume that Keegan always does things with the fans and the team in mind. People are waiting for Ashley and his guys to prove they do likewise.

I just about believe that, I mean Keegan has done so much for this club that it seems impossible to doubt him.

But we know very well that he isn't immune to ego, emotions and mood swings - in any disputes with the board all of these things would have come into play.

yeah, fair point. but isnt a successful club in the best interest of everyone? and doesnt the owner have the right to manage the club with his own vision? of course the have alot to learn, and communicating with the fans is one of them, but dont just jump on the bandwagon. give them a chance to prove themselves first before shifting blame.

I think we are living up to every stereotype. lets get all the facts and make informed decisions before we jump on the "Ashley Out" bandwagon, which i think is disgraceful.