Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

Newcastle's Jonas explains why Spiderman mask ditched

Newcastle United winger Jonas Gutierrez has explained why he's ditched his Spiderman mask since arriving in England.

He said: “I was in the cinema one day and I met a family. I was talking with the dad and his kids and I promised them the next time I scored I would put on a Spiderman mask.

“I did it just once, two seasons ago against Osasuna. I did it for the kids. Maybe I will do it again, everyone says do it again. But the rules have changed and if I do it, I will get booked. It is shame but what can I do?

“I kept the mask in my pants and it got a bit sweaty. People still call me Spiderman in the street though and I like it.

“I like to have fun. It isn’t a bad thing. To give me a yellow card for something like that or pulling your shirt over your head is a shame. Perhaps I will ring FIFA! Or maybe just shoot the webs out of my hand and forget the mask. Everyone wants to see it now.”

And one journalist called it an "unhealthy obsession" he's got with this spiderman thing.  :rolleyes:

As long as he has space to run into we'll be right. I honestly think he could be effective slightly more infield, still playing an attacking game.

Just so long as he's not getting bogged down battling for the ball... he's the perfect outlet and probably the one person in our squad you'd want with the ball at his feet and open ground ahead of him.

Can't see him sticking around at SJP too long unfortunately.

Guest palnese

he can go where ever the fuck he wants to go for me, as long as there is space to take on defenders! Like Kieron Dyer in his prime! Taking on defenders on all over the oppositions half..

As long as he has space to run into we'll be right. I honestly think he could be effective slightly more infield, still playing an attacking game.

Just so long as he's not getting bogged down battling for the ball... he's the perfect outlet and probably the one person in our squad you'd want with the ball at his feet and open ground ahead of him.

Can't see him sticking around at SJP too long unfortunately.

Aye precisely mate. Can't understand those who advocate shoving him through the middle, off the strikers. Every single time he's had one of his moments of genius, or whatever, it's when he's been up against a full-back with ten yards of space infront of him. He's got this clumsy running style - which works, no two ways about it - and great pace. Once he's past people he's through. Exhibit A: Martins' 2nd goal vs Villa.

Stick him in the middle and he's more likely to give fouls away, with the way he digs in at people to try and win the ball. He looks like he's got about 8 legs at times and one of them is bound to clip an opponent every once in a while. He's got nowt to run into when he's there and he doesn't seem to have much of a long-range shooting ability. Would be thoroughly pointless i reckon.

I sound harsh on him in that second paragraph. I'm not meaning to, he's just got a very unique style. It's brilliant... it just looks so clumsy and unorthodox. I love the guy to bits tbh. Class act.

Aye. I said earlier in this thread I'd never seen a player like him before, anywhere, not just for us.

Fair play to whoever spotted him and snapped him up.

He's surely destined for bigger and better things though? He surely wouldn't look out of place at the likes of Liverpool.

If the club stabilises we'll have no problem getting into the Top 8 with this side, so i don't think we're guaranteed to lose the likes of him and Coloccini. They've settled in the area well (from what i can gather), and will be on a pretty penny as it is. If the football success is in correlation with their living arrangements - which they appear to be happy with - we should be able to hang onto them alright. You'd have thought the likes of Martins would have left by now n'all.

If the club stabilises we'll have no problem getting into the Top 8 with this side, so i don't think we're guaranteed to lose the likes of him and Coloccini. They've settled in the area well (from what i can gather), and will be on a pretty penny as it is. If the football success is in correlation with their living arrangements - which they appear to be happy with - we should be able to hang onto them alright. You'd have thought the likes of Martins would have left by now n'all.

With Oba I doubt he'd get a bigger club where he'd be a first choice player and have the #9 on his back, to be honest. I know he's been canny recently and he's done some magical stuff in the past, but he's not even a nailed-on starter in the current squad when everybody's fit (even though he probably should be on merit.)

With Gutierrez, provided he stays fit, he seems the sort who could really offer something substantial to a better club than us (particularly thinking in the PL and Liverpool mainly with this), whereas Oba would be bit-part anywhere like that.

I hope he does stay, obviously, and that he can help us to get to those levels you're talking about.

Guest optimistic nit

colo, jonas and shay could do substancially better. the rest of the first 11, while good players all of them imo (except butt) couldn't really do much better. even owen with his injury record and possible wage demands.