Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

I think he's a fantastic footballer but with little end product.

Aside from setting up one of our two goals on the weekend, putting other balls in the box on occasion (if I recall correctly), making a number of decent passes, and winning us a few corners.

Bearing in mind he's playing in a terrible side like ours, under a clueless manager who needlessly shifted him and others around after he put in a good shift in the first half just to supposedly accommodate Steven Taylor of all people. It's a wonder any of our plays can look semi-decent at the moment.

Guest Sniffer

Aside from setting up one of our two goals on the weekend, putting other balls in the box on occasion (if I recall correctly), making a number of decent passes, and winning us a few corners.

Bearing in mind he's playing in a terrible side like ours, under a clueless manager who needlessly shifted him and others around after he put in a good shift in the first half just to supposedly accommodate Steven Taylor of all people. It's a wonder any of our plays can look semi-decent at the moment.

I was under the impression that things were shifted around because Guthrie was injured as opposed to acommodating Taylor. What was taylor supposed to say? Fuck off Joe, those tactical changes are stupid?

Would it not have been a better idea to push Coloccini to DM and bring Taylor on at CB so that Beye, Jonas and Taylor could have played in their natural positions?

Precisely.

You all make it sound so simple. Surely the experienced manager knows better  :rolleyes:

Would it not have been a better idea to push Coloccini to DM and bring Taylor on at CB so that Beye, Jonas and Taylor could have played in their natural positions?

That would have been the second most sensible thing to do. Imo, the most sensible thing would have been to bring Caçapa on in a straight swap, but it's all relative really.

Doing what Kinnear did, comes about ninth behind the likes of "bring Harper on for Guthrie", "bring Hughton on for Guthrie", "offer to play with ten men" and "cause a bomb scare, thus temporarily voiding the match".

Holy shit Otter, get your eyes tested mate. Some proper mong posts in here.

Hands up here. I was sloshed on Saturday night, seriously hacked off with the shambolic result and was ripping into our players.

Having said that, my true opinion is that, that HTT has mentioned above- a good player who's not offering a great deal of end product. Where's the player that had us all raving after the Man Utd game? Thats the Jonas i want to see.

I accept the stuff about him playing out of position and with a load of knackers in our side, but forgive me for demanding a lot more.

Guest optimistic nit

Holy shit Otter, get your eyes tested mate. Some proper mong posts in here.

Hands up here. I was sloshed on Saturday night, seriously hacked off with the shambolic result and was ripping into our players.

Having said that, my true opinion is that, that HTT has mentioned above- a good player who's not offering a great deal of end product. Where's the player that had us all raving after the Man Utd game? Thats the Jonas i want to see.

I accept the stuff about him playing out of position and with a load of knackers in our side, but forgive me for demanding a lot more.

i think its the same jonas tbh. the difference is the rest of the team. we dont stretch teams any more. i haven't noticed much any real difference between the jonas now and the jonas then. the only difference is that we are not as a team playing as well and we overhype his performance against manure. he does exactly the same things now as he did then (going past players for fun, lots of running, good defensive work) but that doesn't seem to be good enough any more, whereas at the manure game it was.

his end product is harshly treated as well. his ball to owen was sublime yesterday. get good players around him and he'll be brilliant imo.

Holy s*** Otter, get your eyes tested mate. Some proper mong posts in here.

i think its the same jonas tbh. the difference is the rest of the team. we dont stretch teams any more. i haven't noticed much any real difference between the jonas now and the jonas then. the only difference is that we are not as a team playing as well and we overhype his performance against manure. he does exactly the same things now as he did then (going past players for fun, lots of running, good defensive work) but that doesn't seem to be good enough any more, whereas at the manure game it was.

his end product is harshly treated as well. his ball to owen was sublime yesterday. get good players around him and he'll be brilliant imo.

I don't think we overhyped the performance, i think it's taken him a while to get back to his incredible level of fitness, get comfortable with the league and get confident. The Jonas on the wing against Stoke (ok weak opposition) was very impressive and if he and Zog switched wings a bit more, they would be fantastic.

Guest Howaythetoon

The ball he played to Owen was pretty straightforward and nothing magical to be honest, the run begged such a ball. In general he has no real cutting edge to his game in terms of creating and indeed scoring goals himself which is frustrating because he's clearly a good footballer and has lots of strengths which should result in far more of an end product. He's very much like Kieron Dyer in a way although much stronger and more skillful with the ball at his feet. He's a similar player, high energy, quick, direct and a good ball carrier but lacking a real cutting edge. He's a good player to watch and like I said he's a fine footballer. Hopefully he'll add a cutting edge to his game which can be argued, will come in a better side.

The ball he played to Owen was pretty straightforward and nothing magical to be honest, the run begged such a ball.

:lol:

If that was Cesc Fabregas sliding through that pass it would be drooled over for weeks to come.

I was under the impression that things were shifted around because Guthrie was injured as opposed to acommodating Taylor. What was taylor supposed to say? Fuck off Joe, those tactical changes are stupid?

Obviously Taylor come on because of Guthrie's injury. Did we really have to change the system so much though given how well it was working? I'd have rather we kept Jonas on the wing is all, as he was reasonably effective there. We moved more than one player out of position to accommodate getting Taylor into a suitable position.

Guest Howaythetoon

The ball he played to Owen was pretty straightforward and nothing magical to be honest, the run begged such a ball.

:lol:

If that was Cesc Fabregas sliding through that pass it would be drooled over for weeks to come.

That doesn't mean it was an outstanding ball, it was the right ball well executed that is all. I realize I'm splitting hairs here and could be viewed as being ultra cynical.

In general he has no real cutting edge to his game in terms of creating and indeed scoring goals himself which is frustrating because he's clearly a good footballer and has lots of strengths which should result in far more of an end product. He's very much like Kieron Dyer in a way although much stronger and more skillful with the ball at his feet. He's a similar player, high energy, quick, direct and a good ball carrier but lacking a real cutting edge.

Couldn't agree more.