So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

So because a minority of people don't fully understand where Geordies really come from, it is alright to call people who have nothing to do with London, cockneys (even when you actually know where the cockney boundaries do or don't lie)? Strange argument.

The basic rule is that you can call any southern prick a cock(ney).

Ah well, at least he's not a cockney.

Ashley isnt a cockney

Having looked up where Burnham actually is and using the broad definition of a cockney as a Londoner and having seen how far that broadness can be applied to Geordies both by North Easterners and southeners alike, I'm quite happy to lump him in with cockneys.

So because a minority of people don't fully understand where Geordies really come from, it is alright to call people who have nothing to do with London, cockneys (even when you actually know where the cockney boundaries do or don't lie)? Strange argument.

From a stupid/simplistic football pov I think its okay - being strict there are probably no cockney teams but that's just boring.

Whys that like?

Something like £10 million of future income will have gone out of the club.

Gone where?

Surely it will still be sat in the clubs account.

Hopefully, but it could be in his personal bank account as well.

Mike Ashley has seven offers for Newcastle

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley's chances of securing a quick sale of the club have risen dramatically after it emerged that he had received approaches from seven possible bidders, none of them British.

Although much of the attention has so far been focused on a group of Nigerian businessmen, advisers Seymour Pierce have been encouraged by the response they have had since being appointed to sell the club by the Sports Direct tycoon.

Seymour Pierce are expected to spend the rest of this week assessing the bidders before recommending one offer to Ashley, who is seeking around £350  million for the club.

The new details of the auction came as the former Newcastle United chairman Sir John Hall yesterday admitted that he was resigned to the club falling into foreign hands.

Hall, who paved the way for sports retail tycoon Ashley to buy Newcastle last year by selling off his family's shares, said: "Roman Abramovich [Chelsea's owner] changed the game for ever.

''There's nobody in Britain wealthy enough who'd be interested in investing in a football club. Who has this sort of mega-money?

''Even Mike Ashley was finding it difficult with his wealth because £200  million is a lot of money. Premier League clubs are being bought as toys. They'll have them for a few years, then throw them away. These people don't know the passion of the fans. The Premier League is a tremendous brand but I fear for the game and for the fans.''

Hall defended his decision to sell to Ashley who has put the club back on the market following the angry reaction of fans to the resignation of manager Kevin Keegan less than four weeks ago.

"When I met Mike Ashley and his advisors, they had the best intentions for the club," Hall added on Radio Five Live's Sportsweek.

"He wanted to stay there and develop it, so I feel sad for him and sad for the club. He's a good businessman but a novice in the game, as I was when I first came into it. He was coming in to build for the long run and he is a football fan. He had a long-term vision."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3098277/Ashley-has-seven-offers-for-Newcastle-Football.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/10/billionaires08_Alexei-Mordashov_QW68.html

Updated list of Forbes' billionaires;

He's worth $21.2 billion; 18th richest in the world, and surely the richest man ever to live in Newcastle??

Sounds like a canny solution to our current predicament...

Very encouraging to see him sending his management team to be schooled in Newcastle. Buying Newcastle will only aid their understanding of the western world and how dependent it is on the new economic powers that is no longer centered in US or Western Europe. This is the real world now and the foreign ownership of so many Premiership clubs reflect this reality.

Wasn't there some recent article that quoted Shepard as saying we may have our own Geordie Abramovich?  So perhaps Alexei was the one he was referring to.

Dont think he will be buying Newcastle.

His wariness of visibility, along with other factors, mitigates against Mr Mordashov following the well-trodden tycoon path of buying a football club.

“First,” he said, “I am not a fan of football. Secondly, I don't like to waste money. And, thirdly, I hate the symbol of 'Russian oligarch buys football club.' I don't blame anyone. They know better what to do with their money, but I don't like it. We have an ice hockey club in Cherepovets. That's enough.”

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/movers_and_shakers/executive_movers/article4799127.ece

Just been speaking to my Uncle in Johannesburg. He reckons this bloke is rumoured to be involved in the South African bid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Rupert

'Described as "reclusive" by the Financial Times of London, Rupert rarely gives interviews and shuns public events.'

f*** me, it's groundhog day

Nice the Saaaard Afreekaan Ashley.

Just been speaking to my Uncle in Johannesburg. He reckons this bloke is rumoured to be involved in the South African bid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Rupert

'Described as "reclusive" by the Financial Times of London, Rupert rarely gives interviews and shuns public events.'

f*** me, it's groundhog day

Nice the Saaaard Afreekaan Ashley.

"You've done it again!"

I wish (like most) this would end asap. Really pissing me off.

Why can't that Indian bloke just come and save the day? He'd be my personal preference for some unknown reason, maybe its his bank balance ;)

Not happy about consortium's, it just feels cheap, and profit driven, which isn't going to work with our club. I'm not even sure if i want KK back. End of the day he's pissed off again, he probably will if he returns, and really the decisions he was sticking too, Barton, Smith etc...were detrimental to the club, if he cannot see that, then he's not the man for the club, just the man for himself.

I wish (like most) this would end asap. Really pissing me off.

Why can't that Indian bloke just come and save the day? He'd be my personal preference for some unknown reason, maybe its his bank balance ;)

Not happy about consortium's, it just feels cheap, and profit driven, which isn't going to work with our club. I'm not even sure if i want KK back. End of the day he's pissed off again, he probably will if he returns, and really the decisions he was sticking too, Barton, Smith etc...were detrimental to the club, if he cannot see that, then he's not the man for the club, just the man for himself.

This

Something on the radio this morning about Steven Spielberg wanting Ambani's help to buy Paramount out of Dreamworks, or something like that. So perhaps he's got bigger fish to fry.

Wasn't Ashley wanting to get into movies as well?  :laugh: