Public meeting

Dave

I've heard John Gibson was quite the racist this evening.

Well, I don't think it was intentionally racist, but it was a, shall we say, very un PC analogy to make.

What was said like?

Btw the minutes from the last official supporters panel meeting are here: http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/SupporterPanel/0,,10278~1365538,00.html

I'm assuming the September one was cancelled for obvious reasons.

Tom_NUFC - Cheers for posting. It sounds like something I would be interested in joining or at least attending the next meeting. Been at a meeting with Mick Martin before not my cuppa of tea but at least he puts himself up there & has his own leftfield ideas.

OK, I went tonight, and it was a pretty good turnout considering the short notice, maybe 200-300 people.

There was a five-man panel:

Mark Jenson - Editor, The Mag

Malcolm Dix - Former member of The Magpie Group & Former NUFC Director (he fell out with Shepherd)

Michael Martin - Editor, True Faith

John Gibson - Sports Writer, Evening Chronicle

Colin Whittle - Writer, The Mag/True Faith & Former Save Our Seats Campaigner

Basically, it was about establishing a full on supporters club with a big membership, to stand up for NUFC supporters, but also with the aim of (at some point) working with the club.

Although its been brought about by recent/current events and anger toward Mike Ashley et al, it's not just intended as a reaction to this, it's intended to be a permanent fixture with a proper membership scheme, putting out communications and building relationships with other similar organisations at other clubs, with the media/press, with the club and perhaps producing supporters club merchandise, as an alternative to official club merchandise.

The supporters club wants to change the false perceptions that the media and other supporters have of us, because right now it seems they have a massively distorted and completely false picture of what we're like and what we want/expect (all the sh*t about us being deluded and having expectations). It was mentioned that the charvers desperate to be on telly and felt tip/badly spelt banners on bedsheet brigade don't help the perceptions.

They're basically looking for people to get involved at all levels, be it committee members organising stuff, or regular foot soldiers. The idea of creating localised branches from the borders down through Northumberland, across Tyneside and into County Durham - basically wherever there's demand - so that meetings/organisations can take place alongside general meetings.

It was pretty much the panel making their points and suggestions and then the mic went to the floor for comments/questions and it was really good to see a general concensus forming about what should happen with people putting forward their thoughts and ideas. There was a lot of talk about not letting it peter out and keeping the momentum up, and I made the point that we need to make sure we have a follow up meeting in a fortnight/ a month's time where we can reconvene with more concrete ideas/structures, and maybe have more people interested.

Obviously, The Mag and True Faith are well placed to spread the message and have resources to publicise and print stuff (at least initially anyway). Malcolm Dix, I think will be someone good to have on board with his knowledge, and John Gibson will also have some good contacts, both with the media and inside football as well. Something mentioned was getting ex NUFC players involved either properly or just supporting the course, and it was suggested that he might be able to get some of them on board.

At the end people left their contact details and we'll be hearing back about where we go from here.

I'm pretty sure that there will be a follow up to this, as it was the panel who took people's details.

Basically, there seems to be a genuine willingness to get something credible, sensible and lasting together.

I'm really enthusiastic about this now, and I'm really glad I went along.

Obviously things are still a bit vague, but should become a bit clearer when we're contacted regarding what happens next. I'll keep you updated when I hear anything, but right now things look really good and it looks like it's going to be something worth joining.

Those two bolded parts look mutually exclusive to me. I can't imagine the club being delighted at the prospect of people spending money on alternative merchandise.

And who creams the profit?

OK, I went tonight, and it was a pretty good turnout considering the short notice, maybe 200-300 people.

Malcolm Dix - Former member of The Magpie Group & Former NUFC Director (he fell out with Shepherd)

Basically, it was about establishing a full on supporters club with a big membership, to stand up for NUFC supporters, but also with the aim of (at some point) working with the club.

Although its been brought about by recent/current events and anger toward Mike Ashley et al, it's not just intended as a reaction to this, it's intended to be a permanent fixture with a proper membership scheme, putting out communications and building relationships with other similar organisations at other clubs, with the media/press, with the club and perhaps producing supporters club merchandise, as an alternative to official club merchandise.

The supporters club wants to change the false perceptions that the media and other supporters have of us, because right now it seems they have a massively distorted and completely false picture of what we're like and what we want/expect (all the sh*t about us being deluded and having expectations). It was mentioned that the charvers desperate to be on telly and felt tip/badly spelt banners on bedsheet brigade don't help the perceptions.

They're basically looking for people to get involved at all levels, be it committee members organising stuff, or regular foot soldiers. The idea of creating localised branches from the borders down through Northumberland, across Tyneside and into County Durham - basically wherever there's demand - so that meetings/organisations can take place alongside general meetings.

It was pretty much the panel making their points and suggestions and then the mic went to the floor for comments/questions and it was really good to see a general concensus forming about what should happen with people putting forward their thoughts and ideas. There was a lot of talk about not letting it peter out and keeping the momentum up, and I made the point that we need to make sure we have a follow up meeting in a fortnight/ a month's time where we can reconvene with more concrete ideas/structures, and maybe have more people interested.

Obviously, The Mag and True Faith are well placed to spread the message and have resources to publicise and print stuff (at least initially anyway). Malcolm Dix, I think will be someone good to have on board with his knowledge, and John Gibson will also have some good contacts, both with the media and inside football as well. Something mentioned was getting ex NUFC players involved either properly or just supporting the course, and it was suggested that he might be able to get some of them on board.

At the end people left their contact details and we'll be hearing back about where we go from here.

I'm pretty sure that there will be a follow up to this, as it was the panel who took people's details.

Basically, there seems to be a genuine willingness to get something credible, sensible and lasting together.

Obviously things are still a bit vague, but should become a bit clearer when we're contacted regarding what happens next. I'll keep you updated when I hear anything, but right now things look really good and it looks like it's going to be something worth joining.

Those two bolded parts look mutually exclusive to me. I can't imagine the club being delighted at the prospect of people spending money on alternative merchandise.

The supporters club?

The supporters club?

See, I would expect the official club merchandise profits would at least part be ploughed back into the club, paying for transfers, wages, ground improvements, development etc. So I don't mind it. Profits from supporters club merchandise sales won't pay for any of that, so what are they going to be spent on? Executive coaches to bus supporters to away grounds to protest across the country?

Just got back from the meeting and came away feeling quite positive about the future as this should give Newcastle fans a voice, got to be better than Frank rent a  quote Gilmour. 

Tom has summed up the meeting pretty well,  important to stress this isn't going to be a Get Ashley out group, granted that seems to be the catalyst but its a chance for NUFC supporters to come together as one and build something for the future.  Its amazing that a club our size has no supporters club,  already a major boost that the lads from true faith and the Mag as well as Biffa are joining forces as that gives the group 3 massive vehicles to get the groups message across.

Early days, some good comments from the top table, thought Colin Whittle gave a great speach and some good comments taken on board from the floor from a wide cross section of our support both young and old rich or poor and a couple of strange ones, not least the bloke talking about going to New york/unions/labour and new labour,  think he was meant to be at a different meeting.

Suprised to read nagative comments, i personally can't see how anything but good can come from this getting off the ground and taking off and urge all NUFC fans to join.

The supporters club?

See, I would expect the official club merchandise profits would at least part be ploughed back into the club, paying for transfers, wages, ground improvements, development etc. So I don't mind it. Profits from supporters club merchandise sales won't pay for any of that, so what are they going to be spent on? Executive coaches to bus supporters to away grounds to protest across the country?

Well spotted the unofficial supporters club merchandise profits will not go to the club. I have seen people buy Newcastle United tops in places other than the official club shop, people drink in other bars rather than Shearers, people buy food outside the ground on match day rather than wait till inside SJP . All shocking stuff I am sure you will agree.

Just got back from the meeting and came away feeling quite positive about the future as this should give Newcastle fans a voice, got to be better than Frank rent a  quote Gilmour. 

Tom has summed up the meeting pretty well,  important to stress this isn't going to be a Get Ashley out group, granted that seems to be the catalyst but its a chance for NUFC supporters to come together as one and build something for the future.  Its amazing that a club our size has no supporters club,  already a major boost that the lads from true faith and the Mag as well as Biffa are joining forces as that gives the group 3 massive vehicles to get the groups message across.

Early days, some good comments from the top table, thought Colin Whittle gave a great speach and some good comments taken on board from the floor from a wide cross section of our support both young and old rich or poor and a couple of strange ones, not least the bloke talking about going to New york/unions/labour and new labour,  think he was meant to be at a different meeting.

Suprised to read nagative comments, i personally can't see how anything but good can come from this getting off the ground and taking off and urge all NUFC fans to join.

:lol:

The supporters club?

Well spotted the unofficial supporters club merchandise profits will not go to the club. I have seen people buy Newcastle United tops in places other than the official club shop, people drink in other bars rather than Shearers, people buy food outside the ground on match day rather than wait till inside SJP . All shocking stuff I am sure you will agree.

I doubt any of those alternative businesses/organisations are actively campaigning against the club though. Most of them make their money on the back of it.

Guest optimistic nit

The supporters club?

but surely, given a choice, you'd rather the money went to the club?

What was his point? I never got what he was talking about. He was sane compared to the bloke at the front who got chucked, wandering around desperate to get hold of the mic with his shirt completely undone expsoing his bare belly.

The supporters club?

I doubt any of those alternative businesses/organisations are actively campaigning against the club though. Most of them make their money on the back of it.

I am sure these groups were not actively campaigning against the club but certain people. The people who wanted Shepherd out are they classed as anti-Newcastle United? The fans who sang sack the board to McKeag were they also actively campaigning against Newcastle United? As the two posters who actually went to the meeting  have made it clear the unofficial Supporters Club is not about Ashley.

The supporters club?

but surely, given a choice, you'd rather the money went to the club?

If I like something I buy it, I don't really worry about where my money is ending up. At some point tomorrow I will be donating £20 to this site because this is my main place to talk & read about Newcastle United so I think it is worth it. I wont be subscribing to NUFC.co.uk because I think it is shite, disgusting I know but it is MY MONEY I chose how to spend it!!!!

What was his point? I never got what he was talking about. He was sane compared to the bloke at the front who got chucked, wandering around desperate to get hold of the mic with his shirt completely undone expsoing his bare belly.

no idea i think they both somehow managed to escape from David Craigs clutches and stumbled into the Irish club!!

I see a few people have picked up on the merchandising comment and taking money away from the club.  To explain, that comment came from one lad who when talking about hitting Ashley in the pocket suggested that we produce our own shirts, t-shirts etc even wanted Mark Jensen to produce a match programme instead of buying the official one!! Never going to happen. 

Loads of ideas were suggested some excellent, some good and some bad, nothing was decided on the night. 

Speaking to Michael Martin before it started was to guage opinion and see if people would be prepared to start a group and make a big go of it,  this isn't something than is going to start this week and be defunct by xmas, the plan was at least 15 people to be serious and join a committee,  i reckon 50-60 signed up on the night.

I am sure these groups were not actively campaigning against the club but certain people. The people who wanted Shepherd out are they classed as anti-Newcastle United? The fans who sang sack the board to McKeag were they also actively campaigning against Newcastle United? As the two posters who actually went to the meeting  have made it clear the unofficial Supporters Club is not about Ashley.

In which case, why does it want to create it's own merchandise which would in effect take money from the club?

In which case, why does it want to create it's own merchandise which would in effect take money from the club?

I am sure they would have a product range of about 4/5 t-shirts and get about 100 of each printed.

If we are told that not buying burgers from inside the ground isnt going to affect the club, there is no way a handful of t-shirts is going to even come close to appearing on the radar.