Would you take 17th place right now ?

afar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

which beggars the question, if wise was incharge of recruitment and retention, and doing his job properly, you'd have to think he'd have found at least one or 2 worldwide when he'd been on his jollies to brazil and other places from august-january, instead of rushing through 2 signings in the last week before the deadline because of barton/owen getting injured

I dont think it was Kinnear.  Do you remember in December(?) when he was talking about loans with Arsenal, a Roma player and some championship players.

The players we got were a part exchange utility player.

Also, an overweight midfielder who offers nothing.

Remaining a selling club is going to further disillusion an already angry set of supporters by Ashley's penny pinching and his choice of Kinnear who most think was like giving a drowning man an anvil to hold.

I think Ashley is the main reason (and Wise the secondary one) for Newcastle's predicament, not Kinnear, though I'd agree it was a lousy appointment.  Spurs were in a worse situation than Newcastle, the difference was that Levy did something about it.  Ramos went, Redknapp was brought in and he was given a fortune to buy new players, one of which (Palacios) changed the season and the mentality.  Ashley lost Keegan, brought in Kinnear, didn't spend and wound up making a profit on transfer dealings.  I still find it bewildering that Wise couldn't tell Ashley he had to spend serious money.  Wise was the DoF after all.

Funny thing is that if the rumours were to be believed that Wise left because he didn't agree with the buying of Nolan, then you can hardly say he was wrong. Kinnear has been a disaster for NUFC beyond his initial month or so to steady the ship. After that he should have been thanked for his services and a proper manager brought in.

I think Ashley is the main reason (and Wise the secondary one) for Newcastle's predicament, not Kinnear, though I'd agree it was a lousy appointment.  Spurs were in a worse situation than Newcastle, the difference was that Levy did something about it.  Ramos went, Redknapp was brought in and he was given a fortune to buy new players, one of which (Palacios) changed the season and the mentality.  Ashley lost Keegan, brought in Kinnear, didn't spend and wound up making a profit on transfer dealings.  I still find it bewildering that Wise couldn't tell Ashley he had to spend serious money.  Wise was the DoF after all.

Perhaps that's why Wise is no longer on the board. It's fairly obvious that he wasn't behind last window's transfer dealings. Also, as a football person, he probably wanted his team to do well -- surely he wasn't the one who decided it was more important to make a profit on transfers.

nolan and taylor?  what point are you trying to make here?

:kinnear:

My reply follows from his two last sentences: "I still find it bewildering that Wise couldn't tell Ashley he had to spend serious money.  Wise was the DoF after all." We don't know that Wise didn't ask for more money to be spent. I'm just saying he apparently didn't have any input on this winter's transfers.

The sell-to-buy policy is certainly Ashley through and through.

• 3 weeks later...

which beggars the question, if wise was incharge of recruitment and retention, and doing his job properly, you'd have to think he'd have found at least one or 2 worldwide when he'd been on his jollies to brazil and other places from august-january, instead of rushing through 2 signings in the last week before the deadline because of barton/owen getting injured

Also, an overweight midfielder who offers nothing.

Apart from two assists today! Aieeeeeeeeeeeee