Would you take 17th place right now ?

afar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Never have, never will.

What have you seen that convinces you that we are better than 17th? By mid March we could be adrift in the bottom 3 - look at the fixtures we have coming up, consider our squad and ask where goals will come from. We simply have to beat West Brom & I can't see that happening.

Guest thommo78

Why so we can aim for the heady heights of 16th the following season...unless kinnear goes, we invest in the first team and actually play football its just another season of looking forward to inesting financially and emotionally into a team of dross and let down..We are rapidly becoming Bolton..every season aiming for 17th -12th and be happy with your lot!

Never have, never will.

What have you seen that convinces you that we are better than 17th?

I've seen 5 things in West Brom, Blackburn, Boro, Stoke City and Portsmouth that convince me we are better than 17th.  But then again it seems you're depressed and distraught over our current situation so when you look at those teams I don't think you don't see them for the shit they are, you see Barca, Inter, Man U, Madrid and Juventus.  The situation isn't so dire as it's made out to be and for that reason I cannot reason with you that we are better than them because even though we're talking about the same teams, we're not talking about the same teams.

Have faith. 

Anyone who wouldn't take 17th right now is a lunatic.

Could we finish higher? Of course, there's a lot of other shite teams around us who have just as much, and in some cases more, of a chance of going down. But honestly, the difference between finishing 12th and 17th has pretty much no long term effect on us. The absolute best thing that can happen to us this year is to not get relegated, depressing as that is.

17th is good enough to achieve that goal, and it'd do me all day long. 

Never have, never will.

I've seen 5 things in West Brom, Blackburn, Boro, Stoke City and Portsmouth that convince me we are better than 17th.  But then again it seems you're depressed and distraught over our current situation so when you look at those teams I don't think you don't see them for the s*** they are, you see Barca, Inter, Man U, Madrid and Juventus.  The situation isn't so dire as it's made out to be and for that reason I cannot reason with you that we are better than them because even though we're talking about the same teams, we're not talking about the same teams.

Have faith. 

Take a look at the fixtures for all those teams and compare them to ours. Our next 3 games will likely determine if we'll stay up. We need 7 points from them.

Never have, never will.

I've seen 5 things in West Brom, Blackburn, Boro, Stoke City and Portsmouth that convince me we are better than 17th.  But then again it seems you're depressed and distraught over our current situation so when you look at those teams I don't think you don't see them for the s*** they are, you see Barca, Inter, Man U, Madrid and Juventus.  The situation isn't so dire as it's made out to be and for that reason I cannot reason with you that we are better than them because even though we're talking about the same teams, we're not talking about the same teams.

Have faith. 

Take a look at the fixtures for all those teams and compare them to ours. Our next 3 games will likely determine if we'll stay up. We need 7 points from them.

key point for me - all the have faith merchants are out again and aren't looking at a combination of (a) how we're playing, (b) our remaining fixtures, © our preposterous manager who the players can simply not respect nor want to fight for & (d) injuries to key players with the likelihood they've no desire for the fight...

our prospects are as bleak for staying in the PL as they've been since i've been watching us play

• 1 month later...

Who is going to be this years Fulham and have a late surge away from the drop? Cant see it being us personally

Step forward Portsmouth Football Club

I reckon West Brom will stay up with us. Going down will be stoke hull and middlesbrough. at least thats what im hoping for!!

Guest s0ftcore

Was not sure whether to put this in the "relegationometer" thread or here but decided here would be a better place.

From Football365 mailbox

Getting Excited About The Relegation Battle

Since the title has all but been decided, attention turns to the much more exciting relegation battle. As a supporter of a lower league club, I can watch this battle unfold as a neutral. It's really exciting this year, the only club that look certs at the moment are West Bromwich Albion (which is a real shame) but hopefully they will bounce back up again (and I sure they will do - look up Yo-Yo Club in the dictionary and there is a picture of the West Bromwich Albion Club Badge).

Any one of the bottom ten clubs is still a candidate for relegation, though Spurs, Bolton and Sunderland should have enough quality to keep them safe. Hull looked like they were in danger of sliding right down into the battle, but their win against Fulham in midweek was priceless, and 3 wins and a couple of draws out of their remaining ten matches should see them safe. The clubs really at risk to fill the two remaining spaces after West Brom are Stoke City, Newcastle United, Portsmouth, Blackburn Rovers and Middlesbrough.

Middlesbrough looked doomed a couple of weeks back, but their success in the FA Cup and the win against Liverpool has really revitalised them, but they took a massive step back with the heavy loss to Spurs. Personally I hope Boro stay up, not because of any love for the city or club, but because it would be great to see why young British manager suceed this season, they bring through local lads into their team, and it would be great for Steve Gibson's 'no panic' approach to chairmanship to be vindicated.

Stoke City are very unfashionable, very unpopular but they seem to have that battling quality which might just keep them up.

Blackburn Rovers have the 'Fat Sam' factor, say what you like about the guy, but you have to admit he knows how to get the best out of limited players, and he has experience of past relegation battles with Bolton Wanderers.

So my tips are Newcastle and Portsmouth. Portsmouth's appointment of Paul Hart with Brian Kidd as assistant to the end of the season seemed to me to be the equivalent of waving a white flag. When he fails to keep them up they can simply cut him off, no compensation, and give Brian Kidd the full time job. Tony Adam's will be blamed in carefully leaked press releases, and the club can quietly cut costs. (I wonder if Peter Crouch might move to White Hart Lane in the Summer?)

Newcastle is just a disaster. I feel for Joe Kinnear, and I hope he recovers quickly, but the club are managerless, a lot of the players are uncommited, the chairman doesn't give a damn after how he was heckled by the fans earlier on in the season. And to be honest, Newcastle need to be relegated, a lot of the fans need to be taught a lesson in expectations (please can we stop this bull about Newcastle fans being the best in the world - any fans who regularly call for Keegan or Shearer to be their manager deserved relegation) and Mike Ashley, Dennis Wise and co. cannot be allowed to get away scot free from their incompetent handling of this once great club. They need to experience the consequences of their idiocacy.

Apologies to the smart and decent Newcastle fans who often write into this mailbox, but you must admit that a lot of the Geordie Army are idiots.

-Dominic Stevens

That's his basis on why we DESERVE to get relegated? :(

From the moment King Kev, Ashley and Wise flushed our season down the toilet with their infantile squabbling, this s*** storm was inevitable.  The relegation fight was confirmed as soon as Keegan walked out the door and on to the first tee.

It wasn't confirmed at all. Especially as we had 35 league games remaining. However on the back of the protests Ashley decided he didn't have the stomach to live with his decisions and wanted out. So he never appointed a long-term manager. Then on the back of that when he decided to stay with half of the season to go he decided to still persist with Kinnear instead of bringing a more capable man in.

From the moment King Kev, Ashley and Wise flushed our season down the toilet with their infantile squabbling, this s*** storm was inevitable.  The relegation fight was confirmed as soon as Keegan walked out the door and on to the first tee.

It wasn't confirmed at all. Especially as we had 35 league games remaining. However on the back of the protests Ashley decided he didn't have the stomach to live with his decisions and wanted out. So he never appointed a long-term manager. Then on the back of that when he decided to stay with half of the season to go he decided to still persist with Kinnear instead of bringing a more capable man in.

if we get relegated, its Ashleys fault, not Kevin Keegans,...FACT