Would you take 17th place right now ?

afar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest saintscoobz

17th seems like such a dream right now.  A 2 week international break when we have just slipped into the bottom 3 is the last thing we need.  God help us.

Guest fading star

Our first 11 is good enough for the top 10, we just need to get a manager that doesn't have a reputation of walking out on clubs in a huff.

fyp

First page of this thread is just depressing.

Afar and chicago had it spot on.

We were knee deep in the shit the moment Keegan left/was fired. Afar, Tsunami, myself and a few others were ridiculed for pointing out our concerns with the squad, the owner and the management team way before that moment.

I have to admit even I didn't see relegation as a realistic scenario, because I wrongly assumed that the people in charge would do everything within their power to prevent it from happening, be it appointing a recognised manager, selling up and/or properly investing in the squad in the January transfer window. As it turns out they have done nothing of the sort, hence it can be no surprise that we are back in the bottom 3 at this crucial stage of the season.

For Ashley & Co to transform us from a club aiming for European football to a club on the verge of relegation in under two years is a monumental "accomplishment".

Were going to the CL nest year, remember where you heard it first.

Are Spurs going to get relegated too?  They are in trouble.

Newcastle fans want to drive the owner away, complain when he tries to sell quickly, turn their nose up at any manager who would even contemplate coming to a situation where his job is decided by them, and still expect us to finish in the top half.

It's amazing really. Only at Newcastle.

Seems like an entirely different lifetime now.  :kinnear:

LOL, I was just reading the first page or so of this thread. OMG some people must be a little embarassed right now. We older supporters tried to tell you young pups that the signs were all there but you weren't prepared to listen.

One guy, "the prophet" what an ironic name, even deleted his post, in fear of embarrasment obviously, I quoted him on first page though, lol :)

In the last two seasons teams have stayed up with 36 points (Fulham on GD) and 38 (Wigan on GD) so we should be aiming to hit 40 which is 11 points.

In our remaining games I believe we have 6 games in which we can get something from (maybe being hopeful with Aston Villa and Tottenham).

The Stoke, Fulham, Middlesbrough and Portsmouth games are VITAL.

I still think we can stay up but by god I would kill for 17th place at the moment.

It all depends on if we have bollocks to force our game onto the shite around us when we play them. We are undoubtedly best when playing football on the floor and passing and moving etc but most teams haven't allowed us to do that and we've rolled over and let them intimidate us. Stoke will do this also, get in our faces and not give them a minutes peace. If we let them do this and fall into the trap of trying to play them at their own game we'll lose and be as good as down imo. Would I take 17th? Of course, now. As the best we can hope for is about 16th, 15th anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Without a doubt also!

At the moment we are the 19th best team in the league.  Read that again.  19th!  Be an absolute miracle to win these 3 home games, especially when have to rely on players, hopefully fit team, refereeing decisions, luck and tactics.  I