MON the saviour

Guest Invicta_Toon

Incidentally, Vic, as an addition to the above post, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. We're incredibly optimistic and really looking forward to next season, despite this season.

I think that says it all, really.

I agree, it does say a lot. You lot can probably see the improvements made and that he is taking the club in the right direction. Wouldn't be surprised to see you finish top 6.

That's Graeme 'top boss' Fuckpig to you leazes.

not me Alex. However there are plenty of quotes from other people supporting him from start to finish. If I was sad enough to waste my time looking for them  :lol:

Incidentally, Vic, as an addition to the above post, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. We're incredibly optimistic and really looking forward to next season, despite this season.

I agree, it does say a lot. You lot can probably see the improvements made and that he is taking the club in the right direction. Wouldn't be surprised to see you finish top 6.

I'd be surprised to see it next season, but it is hard to express properly to people who haven't witnessed it at close quarters just how much the club was run down by Ellis over the last 10 years or so in particular. There are a lot of things to be put right off the pitch as well as on it, and the progress off the pitch thus far this year has been nothing short of staggering.

So long as the fruits of this success are then aimed at getting things right on the pitch, and evidence so far suggests they will be, then things are looking very bright indeed.

Anyone (Villa supporter or not) who thought that MON was going to put things right in the first season is way wide of the mark.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I'd be surprised to see it next season, but it is hard to express properly to people who haven't witnessed it at close quarters just how much the club was run down by Ellis over the last 10 years or so in particular. There are a lot of things to be put right off the pitch as well as on it, and the progress off the pitch thus far this year has been nothing short of staggering.

So long as the fruits of this success are then aimed at getting things right on the pitch, and evidence so far suggests they will be, then things are looking very bright indeed.

Anyone (Villa supporter or not) who thought that MON was going to put things right in the first season is way wide of the mark.

so what you're saying is it's reasonable to accept poor performance from a new manager, even possible relegation, because you're looking for a long term rebuilding exercise of a totally fucked club?

radical

so what you're saying is it's reasonable to accept poor performance from a new manager, even possible relegation, because you're looking for a long term rebuilding exercise of a totally f***** club?

radical

I didn't say anything about relegation. But the suggestion that some degree of short term pain is necessary for long term gain, whilst making me sound vaguely like Thatcher, is appropriate in this situation.

I've said this before - judge O'Neill NEXT season ; he didn't get to Villa quick enough to make major changes before the season started.

Roeder, on the other hand, had a FULL Close Season to get 'his' signings bedded-in, but despite 15m being spent, NUFC are only 7 points from a relegation place...

If Villa are in the same position as NUFC this time NEXT season, then yes, I'll hold my hands up and say O'Neill isn't a top-notcher - as the article says, he has been successful at the vast majority of clubs he has managed.

Roeder could yet get into the Guinness Book of Records as the first manager to finish 7th in his first season with 3 different clubs, then get them relegated in the following season...!!

If anyone is trying to take some comfort from Villa's position now because the got MON and we didn't, my advice is DON'T - wait until next season. Remember the saying - 'He who laughs last laughs longest'.....

absolute tosh

MON has brought in more players than Roeder FFS

have a look at MON's career. He is the fucking definition of the 'wait till next year' man

must admit, I agree with Vicky's sentiment here if not his style.

O'Neill = hyped up as the  new "Brian Clough" ever since he started out as a manager, on the basis that he played for him and is outspoken/good in front of the camera.

He's about as much a clone of Brian Clough, on that basis, that Stuart Pearce is. In fact, MO has something in common with Pearce, they both behave like idiots running up and down the touchline, kicking water bottles for show.

Cue all the title winning managers of Celtic who are "great managers" for winning the title with Celtic, or even Rangers, such as ... ahem... Billy McNeill. Walter Smith. Jock Wallace. Graeme fuckpig. Gordon Strachan, etc etc etc.

Yeah right. FFS, I could win the Scottish title if I managed Celtic or Rangers.

O'Neill has proved absolutely nothing, in fact, this job is his big test. What standards would you say he should reach with Villa - being such a BIG club with 30,000 fans - and this yank billionaire - to qualify him as the quality manager he is hyped up to be ?

Top 4 ? Top 5 ? Top 6 ? I doubt very much that he will break into the top 4. Considering he was touted to be the man lots of people wanted, in my view, Allardyce is by far a better bet and I've said so since Robson went.

John Roberston learnt more from Cloughie than either Pearce or MON.

so what you're saying is it's reasonable to accept poor performance from a new manager, even possible relegation, because you're looking for a long term rebuilding exercise of a totally f***** club?

radical

I didn't say anything about relegation. But the suggestion that some degree of short term pain is necessary for long term gain, whilst making me sound vaguely like Thatcher, is appropriate in this situation.

MON will fail at Villa. He is wildly overrated although better than GR in many aspects.

not me Alex. However there are plenty of quotes from other people supporting him from start to finish. If I was sad enough to waste my time looking for them  :lol:

Whoever wrote it did a fucking great impression of you then.

Whoever wrote it did a fucking great impression of you then.

:lol:

Cue all the title winning managers of Celtic who are "great managers" for winning the title with Celtic, or even Rangers, such as ... ahem... Billy McNeill. Walter Smith. Jock Wallace. Graeme fuckpig. Gordon Strachan, etc etc etc.

A lot of people overlook the fact he managed Celtic to the UEFA cup final only to be beaten narrowly by a diving Porto side managed by Mourinho - beating a decent Liverpool side, Blackburn, Celta Vigo and Stuttgart on the way.

His side contained a few English misfits like Hartson, Sutton and Alan Thompson.

He brings out the strengths in average players and plays tactics to their advantages and that's what Roeder lacks.

A lot of people overlook the fact he managed Celtic to the UEFA cup final only to be beaten narrowly by a diving Porto side managed by Mourinho - beating a decent Liverpool side, Blackburn, Celta Vigo and Stuttgart on the way.

His side contained a few English misfits like Hartson, Sutton and Alan Thompson.

He brings out the strengths in average players and plays tactics to their advantages and that's what Roeder lacks.

Its a cup run, a good cup run. David O'Bleary did far better taking Leeds to the european cup semi final. Oddly, he also went to Villa with a reputation as the new "great" manager.

Loads of people have cup runs beyond their capability, Wycombe have just had one in the League Cup. Its the single biggest reason why you should not appoint someone on the back of a cup run, without the league performance to back it up.

I had this debate with a Leeds supporter mate for a while, he said Keegan "won nowt", i said "Joe Royle won the FA Cup, would you rather have Joe Royle or Keegan ".

He's pretty quiet nowadays mind  :blush:

Guest Knightrider

I've been quite disappointed by MON this season to be honest, although I wasn't one who expected him to come in and get Villa looking ship sharp all of a sudden.  But to have taken just a few points more than O'Leary did last season for them at this stage of the season with an improved squad, as well as seemingly lacking any style this term, doesn't tally with the hype does it? He has a far better team at Villa than he had at Leicester and the Premiership today is a great deal less competitive than it was back in his Filbert Street days, yet Leicester were a good team always on the cusp of things further up the league, while Villa are near enough a mirror image of O'Leary's team. Still, I think he'll do a good job for them in the long-term but he's no messiah and is overrated without doubt.

Guest Invicta_Toon

so MON scrapes a draw after going 1-0 down at home to Wigan to secure 14th place, yet everyone is castigating Roeder for not beating Arsenal

:idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

radical

Yes of course, just like us.

so MON scrapes a draw after going 1-0 down at home to Wigan to secure 14th place, yet everyone is castigating Roeder for not beating Arsenal

Eh, what has MON got to do with Roeder or our game against Arsenal?

Its a cup run, a good cup run. David O'Bleary did far better taking Leeds to the european cup semi final. Oddly, he also went to Villa with a reputation as the new "great" manager.

Neglecting to mention the fact that the cost of O'Dreary getting Leeds to the EC semi final was pushing the club to the point of bankruptcy. Worth reflecting on when you consider where Leeds are now.

O'Leary is a cheque book manager. Take his cheque book away and he hasn't got a clue.

Also, if you think Roeder has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth and alienate the fans, then he's got nothing on O'Dreary.

I've been quite disappointed by MON this season to be honest, although I wasn't one who expected him to come in and get Villa looking ship sharp all of a sudden.  But to have taken just a few points more than O'Leary did last season for them at this stage of the season with an improved squad, as well as seemingly lacking any style this term, doesn't tally with the hype does it?

Debatable - for the first half of the season, the squad wasn't improved at all. We had Petrov in, yes, but we'd lost our best player of the season before (Milner) and had also lost De La Cruz, Berson and Djemba-Djemba (stop sniggering at the back!).

We've been forced to borrow keepers from Crystal Palace, we've had to play players who didn't even have squad numbers at the start of the season.

He brought Young, Carew and Maloney in in January. Maloney on the last day of the season and, despite some impressive performances, he's been lacking match fitness. Carew was a (great) swap for Baros. You can't really expect players to settle straight away, and i think we're seeing this with Young especially.

But the performances in this bad patch have been much better than the results suggest, whereas those in the unbeaten run at the start of the season were largely worse than the results suggested. We've taken points from Chelsea and Liverpool, and were very unlucky to lose against Arsenal.  I think you'd also have to be one-eyed in the extreme to suggest we deserved to lose in our match at your place.

What has been evident this season is how much we'd slid last season. When he took the job, people said "he's got a job on his hands to keep them up", and that has proved the case. Then again, we're what, two points behind Newcastle and perfectly capable of a mid table finish with our run-in.

What is important now is that the new owners and MON have pretty much the entire support behind them, and optimism for next season is absolutely sky high.

You hinted at this, and you're absolutely right, if after next season things are still going badly, then that is the time to judge him, and there'll be plenty of us doing exactly that.

Guest Invicta_Toon

just making a comparison....

Neglecting to mention the fact that the cost of O'Dreary getting Leeds to the EC semi final was pushing the club to the point of bankruptcy. Worth reflecting on when you consider where Leeds are now.

O'Leary is a cheque book manager. Take his cheque book away and he hasn't got a clue.

Also, if you think Roeder has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth and alienate the fans, then he's got nothing on O'Dreary.

I've been quite disappointed by MON this season to be honest, although I wasn't one who expected him to come in and get Villa looking ship sharp all of a sudden.  But to have taken just a few points more than O'Leary did last season for them at this stage of the season with an improved squad, as well as seemingly lacking any style this term, doesn't tally with the hype does it?

Debatable - for the first half of the season, the squad wasn't improved at all. We had Petrov in, yes, but we'd lost our best player of the season before (Milner) and had also lost De La Cruz, Berson and Djemba-Djemba (stop sniggering at the back!).

We've been forced to borrow keepers from Crystal Palace, we've had to play players who didn't even have squad numbers at the start of the season.

He brought Young, Carew and Maloney in in January. Maloney on the last day of the season and, despite some impressive performances, he's been lacking match fitness. Carew was a (great) swap for Baros. You can't really expect players to settle straight away, and i think we're seeing this with Young especially.

But the performances in this bad patch have been much better than the results suggest, whereas those in the unbeaten run at the start of the season were largely worse than the results suggested. We've taken points from Chelsea and Liverpool, and were very unlucky to lose against Arsenal.  I think you'd also have to be one-eyed in the extreme to suggest we deserved to lose in our match at your place.

What has been evident this season is how much we'd slid last season. When he took the job, people said "he's got a job on his hands to keep them up", and that has proved the case. Then again, we're what, two points behind Newcastle and perfectly capable of a mid table finish with our run-in.

What is important now is that the new owners and MON have pretty much the entire support behind them, and optimism for next season is absolutely sky high.

You hinted at this, and you're absolutely right, if after next season things are still going badly, then that is the time to judge him, and there'll be plenty of us doing exactly that.

Unfortunately for MON the game has moved on.

Unfortunately for MON the game has moved on.

That's a convenient stick to beat him with, but doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

He was out of management for just over a year (and managing Celtic, overcoming the Rangers dominance with very little money, and reaching a European final doesn't count as being out of management).

Its not like he's been out of the game for a decade, is it?

Guest Knightrider

What would concern me if I were a Villa fan, is that MON is an impact manager, he comes in and has an impact from the get go, and then maintains that, that's his style and has served him well throughout his career. But at Villa he hasn't really had a big impact in that way, you know just what he wants his team to do and will work harder than most to get his ideas across, but when I watch Villa they are not a MON team, or certainly don't play like one, and after near enough a full season in charge, I'd be slightly concerned about that. That said, the previous years of mismanagement will have been so ingrained into the club's fabric, it will take many washes if you like to get rid of those stains. I still think he'll do a decent job but I don't think he'll get you regular CL football, sadly the top four pretty much have those places sewn up for a long time in my opinion.

I think MON is a good manager, but highly overrated.  But i'm glad villa aren't doing great.  After the first couple of games, people were instantly coming out saying "i told you so" to me.  And i remember on the radio after they beat us at their place, (the 3rd game of the season) them all talking about how they're going to get in the top 4!!!  I'd like to hear them now.

They were crap in that game anyway, i dont know what got them so carried away.

O'Neill's reputation has been built up over several seasons with different clubs, and it doesn't all hinge on his first season with a new club that were on the slide before he came.

Besides, I think there's been enough signs of his ability, even in the short time he's been at Villa.

bullshit

if you laid out Villas results this season at the start of the season and were told they were Roeders results, not one of you would have doubted it

open your f****** eyes

he's taking them nowhere but mid-table

oh i see and we are flying

just making a comparison....

An obvious and well justified comparison too.