Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

that ashley wants out so soon suggests he was looking at selling the club a couple of years after buying it. rather odd how he leaves at the first sign of trouble rather than sticking it out like Shepherd did.

imo he was thinking he'd maintain us in the premierleague at little to no cost to him (shown by the failure to spend), reap in the profits of extra tv money, wait for overseas tv rights to rise, keep Keegan in charge to keep the fans happy + secure some future revenue streams while he failed to show ambition. then he'd sell to some rich foreigner. his next step wouldve been to get planning permission on the land surrounding SJP, but not developing it himself, just to raise the value of the club. this is shown by his preliminary discussions with NCC for a skyscraper on the gallowgate carpark. no viability in that plan at the present but getting opp for such a dense development within the next 7 years would easily net him tens of millions extra.

a bit like his gamble on HBOS it didnt come off as the keegan and (most) the fans were intelligent enough to see through his charade, this risked destabilising his entire plan so he's getting out.

Or perhaps the money from the failed bid for Schweinsteiger was put back into the bank along with the money for Skjelbred and Atouba who Keegan turned down so it could be spent in January, the fans kick off because Keegan has walked without even knowing whats happened (as witnessed by the mongs with their boycoutt banner at SJP on the Tuesday before he'd even resigned) Ashley then thinks "fuck this, no way am I putting £20 million of my own money into subsidising this club when the ungrateful bastards are abandoning the club shop and Shearer's bar" so decides to walk.

Easy this like.

Guest Howaythetoon

that ashley wants out so soon suggests he was looking at selling the club a couple of years after buying it. rather odd how he leaves at the first sign of trouble rather than sticking it out like Shepherd did.

imo he was thinking he'd maintain us in the premierleague at little to no cost to him (shown by the failure to spend), reap in the profits of extra tv money, wait for overseas tv rights to rise, keep Keegan in charge to keep the fans happy + secure some future revenue streams while he failed to show ambition. then he'd sell to some rich foreigner. his next step wouldve been to get planning permission on the land surrounding SJP, but not developing it himself, just to raise the value of the club. this is shown by his preliminary discussions with NCC for a skyscraper on the gallowgate carpark. no viability in that plan at the present but getting opp for such a dense development within the next 7 years would easily net him tens of millions extra.

a bit like his gamble on HBOS it didnt come off as the keegan and (most) the fans were intelligent enough to see through his charade, this risked destabilising his entire plan so he's getting out.

Or perhaps the money from the failed bid for Schweinsteiger was put back into the bank along with the money for Skjelbred and Atouba who Keegan turned down so it could be spent in January, the fans kick off because Keegan has walked without even knowing whats happened (as witnessed by the mongs with their boycoutt banner at SJP on the Tuesday before he'd even resigned) Ashley then thinks "f*** this, no way am I putting £20 million of my own money into subsidising this club when the ungrateful bastards are abandoning the club shop and Shearer's bar" so decides to walk.

Easy this like.

Just doesn't add up though, see Robsters post.

The way I read it (of course with none of this being fact) is that :

Keegan wanted certain things, asked Ashley for them, Ashley stood firm, said no and Keegan walked

Ashley wants a supposed £400 million for the club. Some parties offer a price way under this figure, Ashley stood firm, said no and didnt turn up for certain meetings

Venables wanted a longer term contract, Ashley stood firm, said no, Venables turns us down.

Fans demonstrate, say "get out", Ashley's legs give way and he says hs is going to give us what we want within 24 hours and without even trying to fight or to reason with the sections that demonstrated.

It just doesnt stack up against every other piece of evidence of who he is and how he goes about things. He appears to be very headstrong and will stick with what he wants, what he believes and wont give an inch to anyone.

For me, the reaction to the fans is totally out of character which leads me to think that it was all just a deliciously convenient excuse for him to get out.

Or perhaps the money from the failed bid for Schweinsteiger was put back into the bank along with the money for Skjelbred and Atouba who Keegan turned down so it could be spent in January, the fans kick off because Keegan has walked without even knowing whats happened (as witnessed by the mongs with their boycoutt banner at SJP on the Tuesday before he'd even resigned) Ashley then thinks "fuck this, no way am I putting £20 million of my own money into subsidising this club when the ungrateful bastards are abandoning the club shop and Shearer's bar" so decides to walk.

Easy this like.

does the 'fuck this etc" sound like Ashley to you? Does putting money not spent into the bank for the next window sound like us either, considering we spent nothing last summer or in Jan? Also, we were supposed to be expecting Atouba for a medical but the player himself decided not to go. Aslo, no one has told us why Skejlberd didnt arrive, and Schweinsteiger bid hasnt even been confirmed other than by one or two ITKs.

Can't believe folk are still blaming the reaction of the fans? The club (whoever it has been ran by) has taken the piss out of us for years and people had finally had enough with the latest debacle. No protests mean that you have to accept how your club is ran and also be prepared to take what you are served with. That's what's happened for the last 40/50 years and look what it's got us - 1 Fairs Cup when it should have been a lot more.

What did the protests achieve exactly? All it did was provoke Ashley into publicly putting the club up for sale, which has left us in limbo. If it had never happened we may have had a new manager by now. Quite a few of us said protests would make the situation worse, don't shoot us for being right.

Good post.

If the fans' protests secured Ashley's departure, what would be the obection to that?

I think you need to re-read what I've quoted as a good post as it has nothing to do with your question.

You don't understand why you said the post was good then.

No, I think I do :idiot2:

Or perhaps the money from the failed bid for Schweinsteiger was put back into the bank along with the money for Skjelbred and Atouba who Keegan turned down so it could be spent in January, the fans kick off because Keegan has walked without even knowing whats happened (as witnessed by the mongs with their boycoutt banner at SJP on the Tuesday before he'd even resigned) Ashley then thinks "f*** this, no way am I putting £20 million of my own money into subsidising this club when the ungrateful bastards are abandoning the club shop and Shearer's bar" so decides to walk.

Easy this like.

does the 'f*** this etc" sound like Ashley to you? Does putting money not spent into the bank for the next window sound like us either, considering we spent nothing last summer or in Jan? Also, we were supposed to be expecting Atouba for a medical but the player himself decided not to go. Aslo, no one has told us why Skejlberd didnt arrive, and Schweinsteiger bid hasnt even been confirmed other than by one or two ITKs.

What I find a little ironic is that all these idiots telling us how KK bottled it and should have  stayed on to fight completely turn a blind eye to Ashley's hissyfit and not willing to fight for what he thinks is right.

Easy this like.

does the 'fuck this etc" sound like Ashley to you? Does putting money not spent into the bank for the next window sound like us either, considering we spent nothing last summer or in Jan? Also, we were supposed to be expecting Atouba for a medical but the player himself decided not to go. Aslo, no one has told us why Skejlberd didnt arrive, and Schweinsteiger bid hasnt even been confirmed other than by one or two ITKs.

Anal's "Rosenborg source" claimed Keegan pulled the plug just hours before he'd be over here.

What I find a little ironic is that all these idiots telling us how KK bottled it and should have  stayed on to fight completely turn a blind eye to Ashley's hissyfit and not willing to fight for what he thinks is right.

:lol:

:thup:

Keegan wanted certain things, asked Ashley for them, Ashley stood firm, said no and Keegan walked

Ashley wants a supposed £400 million for the club. Some parties offer a price way under this figure, Ashley stood firm, said no and didnt turn up for certain meetings

Venables wanted a longer term contract, Ashley stood firm, said no, Venables turns us down.

Fans demonstrate, say "get out", Ashley's legs give way and he says hs is going to give us what we want within 24 hours and without even trying to fight or to reason with the sections that demonstrated.

It just doesnt stack up against every other piece of evidence of who he is and how he goes about things. He appears to be very headstrong and will stick with what he wants, what he believes and wont give an inch to anyone.

For me, the reaction to the fans is totally out of character which leads me to think that it was all just a deliciously convenient excuse for him to get out.

Does it stack up if it read something like:

Ashley says no to Keegan. Keegan says he'll kick Ashley's head in and bully his children in school. Ashley agrees to do as Keegan wishes.

Ashley says no to the Arab investment group. The group say they'll  kick Ashley's head in and have his children bullied at school. Ashley agrees to do sell the club.

Ashley says no to Venables. Venables says he'll kick Ashley's head in and bully his children at school. Ashley appoints Venables as manager.

etc etc.

Totally losing sight of why Ashley would say no to those parties yet sell as soon as the fans turned on him. Ashley is quite clearly someone who does what he likes and does them his way - but he bought the club to be one of the fans, which he no longer can be, not with all the paranoid fans itching to blame him for everything wrong with the summer because Keegan walked and someone at the club (probably Llambias) decided to put out a few dirty stories/statements.

Easy this like.

Anal's "Rosenborg source" claimed Keegan pulled the plug just hours before he'd be over here.

that confirms it then  :lol:

i did read an article in the chron but these were the only quotes which doesnt tell us anything:

“Everything was apparently set, and neither Skjelbred nor Rosenborg was given a reason from the Newcastle camp for the collapse of the transfer, just that it would no longer go through.

“This was strange news for Rosenborg as the fee had already apparently been agreed.

“All of this had made Skjelbred very depressed the next day in training as he was just a few hours away from going over to Newcastle for a medical.”

Maybe the reason it fell through was because Pompey refused to give us the £2m extra we wanted for Barton... the timing would certainly make sense as would the fact they play in the same position.

Does it stack up if it read something like:

Ashley says no to Keegan. Keegan says he'll kick Ashley's head in and bully his children in school. Ashley agrees to do as Keegan wishes.

Ashley says no to the Arab investment group. The group say they'll  kick Ashley's head in and have his children bullied at school. Ashley agrees to do sell the club.

Ashley says no to Venables. Venables says he'll kick Ashley's head in and bully his children at school. Ashley appoints Venables as manager.

etc etc.

Totally losing sight of why Ashley would say no to those parties yet sell as soon as the fans turned on him. Ashley is quite clearly someone who does what he likes and does them his way - but he bought the club to be one of the fans, which he no longer can be, not with all the paranoid fans itching to blame him for everything wrong with the summer because Keegan walked and someone at the club (probably Llambias) decided to put out a few dirty stories/statements.

if he kept his head down for 6 months, got in a top class manager and the team started to play good football and climb the league he'd not have a problem. Shepherd literally insulted the fans of the club and the women of tyneside on camera, kept quiet for a short period but retained his shareholding and when we were flying high in the champions league everyone thought he was great. he couldve quite easily done what shepherd did.

Easy this like.

I think this is a case of people believing what they want to and we're all guilty of it, that article in the NotW was clearly from someone involved in the club and for them to say we had moved for Schweinsteiger which was also reported by someone on here close to a member of the board as well as Articles in Germany suggests there was some truth in it, people don't want to believe that though as it goes against their point yet are happy to use reports in the same paper about Ashley being prepared to sell and Ambani being interested as well as Steve McMahon's consortium which was proven to be bullshit.

The point is that neither of us have a clue yet we'll the view I put forward was clearly guesswork which I'm happy to admit, yours is yet more self congratulating about how the intelligent supports have seen it from your point of view when there's no proof that either is correct.

Easy this like.

that confirms it then  :lol:

i did read an article in the chron but these were the only quotes which doesnt tell us anything:

“Everything was apparently set, and neither Skjelbred nor Rosenborg was given a reason from the Newcastle camp for the collapse of the transfer, just that it would no longer go through.

“This was strange news for Rosenborg as the fee had already apparently been agreed.

“All of this had made Skjelbred very depressed the next day in training as he was just a few hours away from going over to Newcastle for a medical.”

Maybe the reason it fell through was because Pompey refused to give us the £2m extra we wanted for Barton... the timing would certainly make sense as would the fact they play in the same position.

It's a shame we'll probably never will get to know what exactly went on during the last hours of D-Day tbh.

Ashley spitting out his dummy doesn't change what Keegan has done.  :lol:

That's like saying I'm surprised all of the people backing Keegan for walking out because he wasn't happy are not backing Ashley for doing the same.

It's a pointless comparison.

"Newcastle's talks with Terry Venables over appointing the ex-England coach as their interim manager have hit an impasse, BBC Sport understands.

Newcastle want to appoint Venables on a match-by-match basis but the 65-year-old wants a longer-term offer. "

BBC.

how dare the fans not offer him a longer deal.

But... but... it was the banner that put him off. :lol:

Of course Terry Venables or anyone for that matter doesn't want to work on a match to match basis, that is absurd and totally unrealistic that the very idea of it should come with straight jackets because its insane and shows you just how desparate these buffoons running the show really are, what next I wonder. I dread to think, seriously.

How the hell would Venables or anyone be able to raise morale, confidence, belief and actually put together a team to win matches knowing the next match could be the last match. No player would ever commit to such a 'deal' either. Yeah, I'm Charles N'Zogbia and Venables wants me to work my balls off for him, to commit to his ideas and plans. What for, for these plans, ideas and the relationship to disappear a few weeks later?

And beyond all that, what about the fans, how the fuck are we meant to have any faith or trust in Venables knowing he could be gone a week or so later?

You couldn't write this shit honestly.

Yet if he'd been offered a longer contract you and your mates would be shouting that it proved Ashley didn't want to sell the club at all...it's a dastardly plan to put the club in the iron grip of the cockney mafia, Tel the wideboy joining his mate Dennis Wise, no intention to sell, blah blah..

Guest Howaythetoon

"Newcastle's talks with Terry Venables over appointing the ex-England coach as their interim manager have hit an impasse, BBC Sport understands.

Newcastle want to appoint Venables on a match-by-match basis but the 65-year-old wants a longer-term offer. "

BBC.

how dare the fans not offer him a longer deal.

But... but... it was the banner that put him off. :lol:

Of course Terry Venables or anyone for that matter doesn't want to work on a match to match basis, that is absurd and totally unrealistic that the very idea of it should come with straight jackets because its insane and shows you just how desparate these buffoons running the show really are, what next I wonder. I dread to think, seriously.

How the hell would Venables or anyone be able to raise morale, confidence, belief and actually put together a team to win matches knowing the next match could be the last match. No player would ever commit to such a 'deal' either. Yeah, I'm Charles N'Zogbia and Venables wants me to work my balls off for him, to commit to his ideas and plans. What for, for these plans, ideas and the relationship to disappear a few weeks later?

And beyond all that, what about the fans, how the f*** are we meant to have any faith or trust in Venables knowing he could be gone a week or so later?

You couldn't write this s*** honestly.

Yet if he'd been offered a longer contract you and your mates would be shouting that it proved Ashley didn't want to sell the club at all...it's a dastardly plan to put the club in the iron grip of the cockney mafia, Tel the wideboy joining his mate Dennis Wise, no intention to sell, blah blah..

Now you're just being silly.

Easy this like.

I think this is a case of people believing what they want to and we're all guilty of it, that article in the NotW was clearly from someone involved in the club and for them to say we had moved for Schweinsteiger which was also reported by someone on here close to a member of the board as well as Articles in Germany suggests there was some truth in it, people don't want to believe that though as it goes against their point yet are happy to use reports in the same paper about Ashley being prepared to sell and Ambani being interested as well as Steve McMahon's consortium which was proven to be bullshit.

The point is that neither of us have a clue yet we'll the view I put forward was clearly guesswork which I'm happy to admit, yours is yet more self congratulating about how the intelligent supports have seen it from your point of view when there's no proof that either is correct.

no one knows the truth of the situation and everyone is trying to piece together a story based on the tidbits of information that are scattered about the place. it's a jigsaw and i think what ive pieced together is something approaching a kernel of truth, whereas i think the hasty version you put up doesnt match up. obviously you think the other way round. i talked to the director of property at SJP which is why i know about their plans for the development - a totally unrealistic scheme at this point in time but something which, if it gets planning permission (which lasts 5 years), adds tens of millions onto the club in the event of a sale. i think freddy was trying to do this too, knowing the halls wanted out (spinning it with the extension to improve his standing with fans), but unfortunately for him he couldnt get PP in time to reap the benefits.

the notw article is a piece of propaganda, it tries to present the club in the best possible light ("we were getting schweinsteiger and messi, honest!!) while trying to present keegan in the best possible light ("i want henry, lampard and ronaldinho or im walking!!!) so id take it with a pinch of salt.

as for the self-congratulatory bit, whatever. id rather have been wrong all summer. when we signed coloccini i admitted it was a step in the right direction but it all went to shit from then on to now so i guess i was wrong on that occasion.

as well as Articles in Germany suggests there was some truth in it

?

There was some posted on here iirc, nothing with quotes or anything but they said we had moved for him before it had been picked up in the tabloids over here.

Easy this like.

no one knows the truth of the situation and everyone is trying to piece together a story based on the tidbits of information that are scattered about the place. it's a jigsaw and i think what ive pieced together is something approaching a kernel of truth, whereas i think the hasty version you put up doesnt match up. obviously you think the other way round. i talked to the director of property at SJP which is why i know about their plans for the development - a totally unrealistic scheme at this point in time but something which, if it gets planning permission (which lasts 5 years), adds tens of millions onto the club in the event of a sale. i think freddy was trying to do this too, knowing the halls wanted out (spinning it with the extension to improve his standing with fans), but unfortunately for him he couldnt get PP in time to reap the benefits.

the notw article is a piece of propaganda, it tries to present the club in the best possible light ("we were getting schweinsteiger and messi, honest!!) while trying to present keegan in the best possible light ("i want henry, lampard and ronaldinho or im walking!!!) so id take it with a pinch of salt.

as for the self-congratulatory bit, whatever. id rather have been wrong all summer. when we signed coloccini i admitted it was a step in the right direction but it all went to shit from then on to now so i guess i was wrong on that occasion.

Do you believe Golfmag about what he said about Schweinsteiger knowing his source?

Easy this like.

Do you believe Golfmag about what he said about Schweinsteiger knowing his source?

sshhh.

not sure, i favour towards believing him, but like modric we ended up not getting him.

but he bought the club to be one of the fans

;D Jesus, are there still people who believe this tripe.

He's such a massive football fan - he saw England play once you know - maybe he should have bought the team he's always supported and has had a season ticket for. Not sure I ever heard which team that was like.