Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

that year we finished 7th did you not think ,like most others, "how did we get up here ? we've been crap,as crap as last year and i don't feel confident for next season either" ( a lack of confidence that was well founded.)

If we have the level of injuries this season that we did that season (and don't do something about it in January), there's absolutely no way we wont get relegated, regardless of who the manager is. That's how much we've "strengthened" the squad under "Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner".

the same board who said last november, when the team was struggling, that they would not be buying anybody in the January window unless they were players for the future.

Clearly stupidly unaware of the real possibility of going down [like many people on here] or setting out a policy of putting profit before success, in the absurd belief that the ground would fill up every league game with 52000 people no matter what.

Incredible.

continue demeaning the one man blah blah blah

Aw! Did the nasty man say bad things about Uncle Freddie? Poor baby!

Here's a new dummy. See how long you can keep this one inside the pram.

Is Freddy NE5's uncle? I know theres some link between the 2 somewhere....

He's clearly talking about Keegan there like.

One track minds some people  :rolleyes:

indeed I was. Pretty amazing that anybody didn't realise. New heights of dumbness..........

I think Ozzie Mandiarse needs serious help to be honest. How old is he ?

So whats your relation to Shepherd out of interest? Im genuinely interested , no worries if you dont want to say.

that year we finished 7th did you not think ,like most others, "how did we get up here ? we've been crap,as crap as last year and i don't feel confident for next season either" ( a lack of confidence that was well founded.)

If we have the level of injuries this season that we did that season (and don't do something about it in January), there's absolutely no way we wont get relegated, regardless of who the manager is. That's how much we've "strengthened" the squad under "Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner".

I'm pretty sure you and NE5 were warning of relegation after we didn't strengthen last January, and that was with Keegan in charge. Regular doom-mongers really.

Only the boost of Keegan saved the day. We'll see what happens. I'm quite pleased for you that you have lowered your standards and expectations from demaning we qualify for europe to simply staying in the top league.

But this is what was said, on numerous occasions previously.

In light of the global financial crash, the situation overspending West Ham now find themselves in, unsustainable Premier league wage bills and football's general level of debt,  Mike Ashley's structured plan for the club and it's finances looks quite visionary.

Ashley's 'structured' plan as you put it was designed to raise the sell-on value of the club, nothing more. Clubs with debt are less attractive options, even more so in a credit crunch. Clubs without debt are very attractive options, even more so in a credit crunch. He will find this out very soon despite the on-field mess as he gets himself a healthy profit for his initial investment. That has been his intention all along. I'm not surprised you see it another way though, given your absurd claims in the opening post.

A shame that Keegan's walkout and the sub primes demonstration blew such a hole in what now looks like it was a very astute longer term plan for NUFC's prosperity and success.

More like KK blew a hole in your hopes that Ashley was the real deal, that's what this is all about. You don't want to admit he isn't and never was the real deal. Instead you'd rather denigrate a man who has done far more for this club than the man you laughingly claim as the best ever chairman or owner we've ever had.

When the football world is criticising the English game for selling it's soul to any foreign billionaire who fancies buying a club, you and the angry rabble have got what you wanted by forcing out Ashley. You will soon find out who your protests have brought to the club. I hope you are happy with the new owners.

To be fair - it was a legitimate question. NE5 clearly has links with the old board and Shepherd in particular, I'm just curious. 

my username isn't "fredbob"

In light of the global financial crash, the situation overspending West Ham now find themselves in, unsustainable Premier league wage bills and football's general level of debt,  Mike Ashley's structured plan for the club and it's finances looks quite visionary.

Aston Villa and Spurs had a similar "vision" at the start of the Premiership and it set them back 15 years.

Unless you've been on Mars for the last 6 months you may realise we live in very different financial times to those of the last 15 years.

Ashley's intention was not to stop spending, just to stop spending stupidly.

Net spend under his tenure would suggest differently.

I think his assumed tenure was a lot longer than one year.

Therefore to judge him (or anyone) else on the one year since taking over a sinking ship would be unfair in the extreme.

But there again what do the angry mob care about fairness ?

you know what mate. This whole thread is ridiculous, from the title and the suggestion you are making , right down to the posters who - including yourself - continue demeaning the one man who has shown this club how to behave like a top football club, and drove everybody on in the process when he was given the power and freedom to do it.

It was obvious ages ago that profit was the main motivation for them running this football club, and like true non-footballing people, they didn't understand how to go about doing it. They thought that 52000 fans would come and watch the club, come what may, [like a lot of others to be honest, that didn't see the club in the 70's and 80's], and probably wouldn't be told either [same again].

I don't suppose you and a few others will EVER admit to the success of the last board and the fact that they understood that they had to compete - much to your discredit - which in terms of "ticked boxes" is the biggest of all, and the reason why personally I will continue to point this out until someone else comes in and also understands. Because for me, no board will have a hope of matching them until they do.

Saving the "sinking ship", when you are getting 52000 crowds, doesn't need too much to get it back on the right course again, and I will point out - again - that only 2 years ago they were in the UEFA Cup and finished 7th in the league, and currently most of the clubs top players, including the captain and his striking partner in particular, were also signed under the old board, not the current one. A league position that was only achieved twice in over 3 decades prior to the last board walking into the club.

THAT is perspective. The sharp crash in the last year, should really not make it necessary any more for people like me to keep pointing it out.

Ashley, best chairman/owner ? What a f***ing joke.

We might still get worse again, and thats the frightening thing, but that also means another regime inferior to the Halls and Shepherd. Don't hold your breath if this does happen too.

But Keegan has exposed them for the amateurs that they are.

You know what mate, need to re-read the OP to understand where the title of the thread was coming from.

P.S. I actually liked Freddie, but when he fired SBR,  replaced him with Souness and then seemed intent on bankrupting the club to restore his own popularity I went off him a bit.

I don't need to read it again.

BTW, Freddie wasn't the major shareholder, and I doubt very much that he fired or hired anybody single handed.

How many times has that been posted too ?

Aston Villa and Spurs had a similar "vision" at the start of the Premiership and it set them back 15 years.

Unless you've been on Mars for the last 6 months you may realise we live in very different financial times to those of the last 15 years.

Therefore to judge him (or anyone) else on the one year since taking over a sinking ship would be unfair in the extreme.

you know what mate. This whole thread is ridiculous, from the title and the suggestion you are making , right down to the posters who - including yourself - continue demeaning the one man who has shown this club how to behave like a top football club, and drove everybody on in the process when he was given the power and freedom to do it.

It was obvious ages ago that profit was the main motivation for them running this football club, and like true non-footballing people, they didn't understand how to go about doing it. They thought that 52000 fans would come and watch the club, come what may, [like a lot of others to be honest, that didn't see the club in the 70's and 80's], and probably wouldn't be told either [same again].

I don't suppose you and a few others will EVER admit to the success of the last board and the fact that they understood that they had to compete - much to your discredit - which in terms of "ticked boxes" is the biggest of all, and the reason why personally I will continue to point this out until someone else comes in and also understands. Because for me, no board will have a hope of matching them until they do.

Saving the "sinking ship", when you are getting 52000 crowds, doesn't need too much to get it back on the right course again, and I will point out - again - that only 2 years ago they were in the UEFA Cup and finished 7th in the league, and currently most of the clubs top players, including the captain and his striking partner in particular, were also signed under the old board, not the current one. A league position that was only achieved twice in over 3 decades prior to the last board walking into the club.

THAT is perspective. The sharp crash in the last year, should really not make it necessary any more for people like me to keep pointing it out.

We might still get worse again, and thats the frightening thing, but that also means another regime inferior to the Halls and Shepherd. Don't hold your breath if this does happen too.

we'd been going backwards since robson's penultimate full season but you can't admit this.

no. At the end of the day, we finished 7th. What are you trying to demean it for ? Anyone would think you had some sort of personal agenda ? Please tell us if you think the new board will ever finish 7th, never mind qualify for the Champs League, never mind europe more than anybody but 4 teams, 2 FA Cup Finals, and create a level of expectancy and hope that fills the ground every home game.

because i'm honest. ask any mackem if the 2 seasons they finished 7th were equally as good ? no because in the first one they were good and strong in the second one they were cack,like us when we finished 7th.

the season we finished 5th under robson how far behind the previous seasons nufc was that team ?....light years !,not merely 2 places.

tell you what i don't know if the new  the new board would allow the club to drop from third to 13th,but i know a one that defintly would,racking up debt in the process and not looking like turning it round.

ps. you know my feelings about cup competitions........nice day out but they don't prove you are a good team.

pps... you mustn't have read my previous post about the hall/shepherd era until the end of 2002/3 being the best in my time other wise you wouldn't have used cup finals,champs lge etc as justification FOR WHAT CAME AFTER.

indeed I was. Pretty amazing that anybody didn't realise. New heights of dumbness..........

So whats your relation to Shepherd out of interest? Im genuinely interested , no worries if you dont want to say.

oh dear.

we'd been going backwards since robson's penultimate full season but you can't admit this.

no. At the end of the day, we finished 7th. What are you trying to demean it for ? Anyone would think you had some sort of personal agenda ? Please tell us if you think the new board will ever finish 7th, never mind qualify for the Champs League, never mind europe more than anybody but 4 teams, 2 FA Cup Finals, and create a level of expectancy and hope that fills the ground every home game.

because i'm honest. ask any mackem if the 2 seasons they finished 7th were equally as good ? no because in the first one they were good and strong in the second one they were cack,like us when we finished 7th.

the season we finished 5th under robson how far behind the previous seasons nufc was that team ?....light years !,not merely 2 places.

tell you what i don't know if the new  the new board would allow the club to drop from third to 13th,but i know a one that defintly would,racking up debt in the process and not looking like turning it round.

ps. you know my feelings about cup competitions........nice day out but they don't prove you are a good team.

pps... you mustn't have read my previous post about the hall/shepherd era until the end of 2002/3 being the best in my time other wise you wouldn't have used cup finals,champs lge etc as justification FOR WHAT CAME AFTER.

7th in the league. A position achieved only once in  3 decades prior to 1992.

What has happened since ? Do you think we will finish 7th under soopa mikes master plan ?

7th in the league. A position achieved only once in   3 decades prior to 1992.

What has happened since ? Do you think we will finish 7th under soopa mikes master plan ?

i couldn't see it happening the way we were headed under the previous regime either. certainly not with allardyce. (have you included mcfauls 8th in there as it was when the top division had more teams in so ,fair enough we would have had more teams above us but ,perversly,more teams below us aswell)

oh dear.

Honestly ne5, it was a genuine question, if you dont want to answer it then thats fine. Judging by this one man onslaught, i take it you're back from the pub?!

i couldn't see it happening the way we were headed under the previous regime either. certainly not with allardyce. (have you included mcfauls 8th in there as it was when the top division had more teams in so ,fair enough we would have had more teams above us but ,perversly,more teams below us aswell)

no, you raised the point, so I said 7th.

Anybody who saw that season, knows that it was a "blip", because selling Gazza and Beardsley almost certainly condemned the club to having no chance of repeating it. Fact is, as I said, it was only bettered once in almost 40 years until the Halls and Shepherd came in. Why do you keep arguing about solid facts like this ?

But that was Newcastle in those days. Completely different to the club that the Halls and Shepherd turned it into ? Correct ?

the same board who said last november, when the team was struggling, that they would not be buying anybody in the January window unless they were players for the future.

Clearly stupidly unaware of the real possibility of going down [like many people on here] or setting out a policy of putting profit before success, in the absurd belief that the ground would fill up every league game with 52000 people no matter what.

Incredible.

I seem to remember when asked which player available at that time you would consider buying, you said Benjani from Portsmouth. Where is he now then?

oh dear.

Honestly ne5, it was a genuine question, if you dont want to answer it then thats fine. Judging by this one man onslaught, i take it you're back from the pub?!

yep, I've been to the pub. And ?

You have asked me this before BTW, and sorry to say, the answer is the same as the last time.

Why do you think that anybody who says anything positive about the old board is their guardian angels or something ? Honestly fredbob, I'm staggered you are still going down this route, after recent events

Incredible.

I seem to remember when asked which player available at that time you would consider buying, you said Benjani from Portsmouth. Where is he now then?

You prefer Ameobi or a disappeared again Viduka then ? All the way to relegation ?? Never mind, at least they haven't wasted any money in the transfer window.

no, you raised the point, so I said 7th.

Anybody who saw that season, knows that it was a "blip", because selling Gazza and Beardsley almost certainly condemned the club to having no chance of repeating it. Fact is, as I said, it was only bettered once in almost 40 years until the Halls and Shepherd came in. Why do you keep arguing about solid facts like this ?

But that was Newcastle in those days. Completely different to the club that the Halls and Shepherd turned it into ? Correct ?

how was that a blip and roeders 7th wasn't ?

right then,how many times do i have to say ...HALL/SHEPHERD TURNED US INTO A CRACKING TEAM THE BEST I'VE SEEN IN MY TIME.

but thats not where fred left us was it ? and my opinion is that we were going backwards and looked unlikely to turn it round....understand now where i'm coming from ?

oh dear.

yep, I've been to the pub. And ?

You have asked me this before BTW, and sorry to say, the answer is the same as the last time.

Why do you think that anybody who says anything positive about the old board is their guardian angels or something ? Honestly fredbob, I'm staggered you are still going down this route, after recent events

Sorry, something Ozzie said reminded me about your relation with Shepherd, i was just curious, no agenda behind it, i just remmeber not getting an answer out of you last time.

I genuinely no longer have an issue with you defending the old board, hence the reason i no longer have long drawn out debates with you anymore- well less frequented anyway. I actually probably feel the same about the current board as you do about the old board - crazy isnt it?

Im open to people criticising my viewpoint but i want to see one more season from the current lot before i let the vocal majority speak for me and force them out.

Just out of interest, can anyone explain what this 'structured plan' actually consisted of?

Bringing in a DoF & transfers team - benefit to 1st team two internationals and a few makeweights? 

Signing a load of bairns for the academy - could turn out great in a few years, could be rubbish

Selling a load of players and trimming the wage bill

Not spending a lot in net terms on the first team in the process

Errrrrr, is that it? Have I missed something?  The effect of this 'structured plan' is that we lost the manager (not getting into whose fault that was) and coaches with no replacements lined up.  We also have a very thin squad in a club with a poor injury record, to the point we were talking about re-employing Carr.

What's the 'plan' actually achieved for the 1st team squad right now? 

Just out of interest, can anyone explain what this 'structured plan' actually consisted of?

Bringing in a DoF & transfers team - benefit to 1st team two internationals and a few makeweights? 

Signing a load of bairns for the academy - could turn out great in a few years, could be rubbish

Errrrrr, is that it? Have I missed something?  The effect of this 'structured plan' is that we lost the manager (not getting into whose fault that was) and coaches with no replacements lined up.  We also have a very thin squad in a club with a poor injury record, to the point we were talking about re-employing Carr.

we're above spurs................which i'm sure everyone would have settled for at the start of the season

we're above spurs................which i'm sure everyone would have settled for at the start of the season

Good point  :lol:  Our structured plan is better than theirs  :celb:

Its a fair point but when was the last time we had such a seemingly successful window? In the sense that so far we havent signed any duds for extortionate prices? The number of players we have sgined is a massive concern but do you not even entertain the possiblity that with the right team (inc. manager) rowing all in the same direction, then maybe, just maybe we might get it right? Or do you beleive that we were never destined to buy alot of players?

To me, its a question of how much the keegan/wise thing had affected our recruitment efforts with both seemingly rowing in oppoisite directions.

For me the structure hasn't delivered, doesn't matter whose fault it was.  Leading everything else aside, we needed far more players than we signed, & it's a pretty damning indictment of the set up if the reason for that was they couldn't agree on who to sign.  Personally I'm not convinced significant funds were ever available to buy without selling first but that's speculation on my part.

But why do we need a little transfer committee to buy/sell players.....don't we just need a decent manager?  Wasn't the flaw with Shepherd/Hall in their poor choice of managers after Sir Bobby, not the lack of a transfer committee with Dennis Wise sitting on top of the pyramid like a malevolent hobgoblin?

I think this structure business is a bit of a smokescreen really....it can't be such a good structure when you're nearly bottom of the table, the *ahem * coach has walked off in a huff, the squad is seriously thin and injury hit and plan B consists of Joe fecking Kinnear and Stephen fecking Carr.

For me the structure hasn't delivered, doesn't matter whose fault it was. 

Aye, as a mechanism for supplying instant success it has proved sadly deficient.

My idea of success in the current context is not being second from bottom.  Did this long term 'plan' include relegation in the first year, while we wait for all these hot shot kids to come good?

For me the structure hasn't delivered, doesn't matter whose fault it was.

Aye, as a mechanism for supplying instant success it has proved sadly deficient.

Who expected instant success?