Coloccini wants out; Sevilla confirm interest

Guest Howaythetoon

He was taking the piss after his mistake in trying to rally others. If I were Harper I would have slapped him in the dressing room for trying to play-off-side when he was at least several feet behind his fellow defenders, something which Harper noticed with a few "what the f*** are you doing" looks. Indeed. An unmitigated flop thus far and our weakest link in defence. Hopefully Beye will regain some sharpness and the two mugs on the touchline will see some sense and play him in Colo's place, keeping Taylor at right-back who hasn't put a foot wrong since moving there.

Sorry but how is this a bad thing?  ???

He is nowhere near as bad as Boumsong and Bramble, although his recent performances have been close to their level (when they were here at least, I know Bramble is doing alright at Wigan and I've not seen enough of Lyon to make a fair judgement). I don't agree with people writing him off as if he doesn't have a chance and that what we are seeing at the moment is what we should expect of him.

However he has been an unmitigated disappointment thus far and that is even sadder tbh. He came with a reputation and a large price-tag and he's simply not lived up to either. It being a new season, in a new league, playing to stay up is not enough of an excuse for his performances.

One of the worst performances I've seen from a centre-back in a long time. Bramble and Boumsong esque at their worst would describe his "effort" yesterday. He was like a headless chicken and constantly ball watched and once again which is becoming a weekly routine of his he left his position time and time again, hence several blocks by the right-back (Taylor) who seeing a gap in the centre (reading the game) moved over to cover. My initial opening post was a knee-jerk reaction to a few poor performances admittedly but even then I saw enough chinks in his game to foresee what we are all starting to see now. Taylor gets an awful lot of stick on here and often rightly so due to his previous but he is a better defender than Colo and much less of a liability. He is a soft touch in all areas of his game and it infuriates me when he turns his back on the man or ball, constantly backs off and ball watches and then turgidly tries to get back or cover.

He was taking the piss after his mistake in trying to rally others. If I were Harper I would have slapped him in the dressing room for trying to play-off-side when he was at least several feet behind his fellow defenders, something which Harper noticed with a few "what the f*** are you doing" looks. Indeed. An unmitigated flop thus far and our weakest link in defence. Hopefully Beye will regain some sharpness and the two mugs on the touchline will see some sense and play him in Colo's place, keeping Taylor at right-back who hasn't put a foot wrong since moving there.

Rubbish and how short you rmemory is. A few good games by Taylor and a few bad games by Coloccini and the former is suddenly a better defender.  You need to cast your memory to some of the goals we conceded earlier in the season to make a better comparision. Yes Taylor has been good in the last couple of games and Yes Colo has been off form, but to say that Taylor is the better player overall is laughable

I always find the excuse of 1st year in PL as about worthy as saying a goalkeeper is a good shot stopper. Beye was voted player of the season last year in his first year & no doubt Bassong will win it this year in his first season.

Depends on the league you're come from Colo has spent his career briefly in Argentina, a little time in Italy and a large proportion in Spain. He was too young to cut it at Milan but in Spain he was seen as a very good player for Atletico and Villereal. He was Depor's captain and best player by a mile and the only reason they didn't finish in a solid European spot was down to the mediocrity of other positions. For them he looked a totally different player, he was their team captain and was very vocal, he marshalled their defence superbly well and looked a top notch defender.

The main point with this though is that he's spent a lot of time in the Spanish league which is the polar opposite to the Premiership, it's been ok for Beye and Bassong because the French league is quick, frenetic and young and when they came here it wasn't that hard to adapt. For Colo though the Spanish league is pedestrian in comparison and has a very different attitude which will obviously take longer to get used to.

Something else people should probably realise when comparing Colo to Bassong is how differently these 2 must be thinking right now. This was Colo's big move, into a team that was billed to be challenging for a European spot under Keegan for Bassong though he came here to learn his trade and whatever happened was a bonus for him whether we were up in the top 4 or rock bottom it would still have been a step up and considered a personal success, no wonder he looks so demoralised.

Again, I'm not defending his performances of late but some people seem to have a problem appreciating not everyone's career starts with NUFC. Coloccini was quality for Deportivo and Argentina, that makes it even worse for me to be honest, as he's more of a disappointment.

Guest fading star

Again, I'm not defending his performances of late but some people seem to have a problem appreciating not everyone's career starts with NUFC. Coloccini was quality for Deportivo and Argentina, that makes it even worse for me to be honest, as he's more of a disappointment.

Was he?

Was he?

Was he not?

Was he?

Was he not?

Coloccini was an absolute beast for Depor especially in his last 2 seasons. Last season gets a special mention because he was brilliant.

Guest neesy111

coloccini looked good in a league that is famed for leaky defence's and is nowhere near as fast in pace as this league

he looks so out of his depth, i would rather have dabizas at the back than him

Was he?

Was he not?

Coloccini was an absolute beast for Depor especially in his last 2 seasons. Last season gets a special mention because he was brilliant.

Yeah, I know he was good.  fading star was just spouting crap and I wanted him to defend himself.

Guest GAMMELL

How much cash have we thrown at Depor over the last few seasons?! We've had simply f*ck all value for money with the purchases of Alberto Luque, Colo & Xisco  :-[

Guest fading star

Was he?

Was he not?

In what way was he beast? Was he making thunderous challenges? Was he dominating opponents in the air? Was he commanding the back four with his lovely perm?

Was he?

Was he not?

In what way was he beast? Was he making thunderous challenges? Was he dominating opponents in the air? Was he commanding the back four with his lovely perm?

Yes.

One of the worst performances I've seen from a centre-back in a long time. Bramble and Boumsong esque at their worst would describe his "effort" yesterday. He was like a headless chicken and constantly ball watched and once again which is becoming a weekly routine of his he left his position time and time again, hence several blocks by the right-back (Taylor) who seeing a gap in the centre (reading the game) moved over to cover. My initial opening post was a knee-jerk reaction to a few poor performances admittedly but even then I saw enough chinks in his game to foresee what we are all starting to see now. Taylor gets an awful lot of stick on here and often rightly so due to his previous but he is a better defender than Colo and much less of a liability. He is a soft touch in all areas of his game and it infuriates me when he turns his back on the man or ball, constantly backs off and ball watches and then turgidly tries to get back or cover.

ah, the old Beye for central defence nonsense again

Aye. Love him as a right back but I've seen nothing at all to suggest he can play in the middle.

Guest BooBoo

I've not had a chance to see it again, so correct me if i'm wrong, but Diaby looked like he blitzed past Beye for his goal.

He's a full back and a good one at that. As a centre back? Don't be daft.

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye. Love him as a right back but I've seen nothing at all to suggest he can play in the middle.

So lets stick with the liability that is Colo then?

Beye speaks French so can communicate with Bassong better plus it allows Taylor to stay at RB where he is performing very well, much better than he does at CB anyway where he is only less of a liability than Colo. Furthermore I don't think Beye has the legs so much to run up and down that right flank.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've not had a chance to see it again, so correct me if i'm wrong, but Diaby looked like he blitzed past Beye for his goal.

He's a full back and a good one at that. As a centre back? Don't be daft.

Beye looked way off the pace when he come on, which isn't surprising. Others blitzed past him when he was at full-back or further up the pitch too, so this isn't a positional flaw, its due to his fitness levels.

Guest fading star

If Taylor and Bassong are missing Beye will have to play in central defence. What’s the alternative - Colo/Edgar? Edgar/Cacapa? Cacapa/Colo?

Any news on the injuries?

Guest Howaythetoon

Rubbish and how short you rmemory is. A few good games by Taylor and a few bad games by Coloccini and the former is suddenly a better defender.  You need to cast your memory to some of the goals we conceded earlier in the season to make a better comparision. Yes Taylor has been good in the last couple of games and Yes Colo has been off form, but to say that Taylor is the better player overall is laughable

Colo is weak as piss in the air, in the tackle and at marking players and backs off constantly, ball watches and drops far too deep, often while his fellow defenders are trying to hold their line or trying to play off-side, so yeah Taylor who is good in the air, strong in the tackle, isn't a soft touch physically and who can read play (covering for Colo for example when he goes on his constant walk-about) is a better defender and with it not as much of a liability.

As for a few bad games... he's been piss poor all season except for one or two decent games. Nearly every forward he has faced, has given him a tough time. He was absolutely shocking yesterday and showed zero heart on several occasions, turning his back on the man or ball like a tart.

I noticed after the break he put his body in the way a few times, something must have been said in the dressing room and rightly so. Harper looked furious with him several times throughout the match.

Put it simple.  Colo is a good defender ONLY IF he got a decent cover in front of him.  And who does we have? Nicky Butt.

I don't think it's just a coincidence that Colo's performance went downhill since Guthrie / Batron - the only two mobile central midfielders we have - were sidelined due to injuries.

He isn't that bad.  Still way lot better than Boumsong/Bramble, nevermind O'Brien.  It's the relegation pressure that makes him look so bad.

Still, at the moment, Steven Taylor / Bassong seems to be a more reliable partnership.  Unfortunately both are injured.

What is noticeable that people who usually stick up for Coloccini are accepting he was bad yesterday, no one is trying to pretend otherwise. The Colo bashers have gne into overdrive though unsurprisingly. I think we still need him at this stage of the season and hopefully he'll bounce back from it.

Colo is weak as piss in the air, in the tackle and at marking players and backs off constantly, ball watches and drops far too deep, often while his fellow defenders are trying to hold their line or trying to play off-side, so yeah Taylor who is good in the air, strong in the tackle, isn't a soft touch physically and who can read play (covering for Colo for example when he goes on his constant walk-about) is a better defender and with it not as much of a liability.

As for a few bad games... he's been piss poor all season except for one or two decent games. Nearly every forward he has faced, has given him a tough time. He was absolutely shocking yesterday and showed zero heart on several occasions, turning his back on the man or ball like a tart.

I noticed after the break he put his body in the way a few times, something must have been said in the dressing room and rightly so. Harper looked furious with him several times throughout the match.

The last line i agree with, he was much improved for the first fifteen minutes of the half until the 2nd goal.

I think it was interesting how he changed after half time. He came out and until the 2nd goal went in, he was looking pretty good he made some very good interceptions, won some headers against Bendtner and he looked more confident without Bassong, after the second though his head totally dropped like everyone else's.

I don't think it is as much Bassong that is making him play badly but perhaps the way he's being told to defend, it's very possible that Hughton and co. have been asking him to defend a particular way when partnering Bassong. Colo doesn't look like a sweeper to me, he's very much a front line defender, he'll nick the ball head on from a runner and make interceptions and will challenge for headers etc and he did this a lot pre-christmas. Yesterday he seemed to perform this role again after half time and he looked totally different. I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye with this as he seemed to have settled well at the beginning when he was the 'main' defender but has gone downhill since then.

Guest Heneage

He looked very nervous playing in the middle. I'm praying Bassong is back. I'd be happy to put Beye and Steven Taylor on the right instead of Ryan though.