Keegan to launch £9m unfair dismissal claim?

Dave

You're missing an important part of the reason why protests affected Ashley more than Hicks, Glazers and before them the likes of Doug Ellis.

Ashley bought the club for fun, because he wanted to go to the match and mix with normal people - enjoy himself. Now he can't do that there's no point in him hanging around.

The fact that he has folded so quickly suggests to me that he is anything but a ruthless businessman with regard to this. If he was he would have hung around, made the club a success and continued taking the money.

I think I see a flaw in your plan.

I'm not missing it, I'm choosing to ignore the lie.

The difference between Ashley and Hicks and Glazier is that the last 2 are using their clubs as a cash cow, they both borrowed the money to buy it and transferred the debt back onto the club, so with the potential of owning the club without funding it of a penny of your own, who in their right mind would just walk out on that situation?

Liverpool supporters have protested far more about Hicks than we have about Ashley, and some of the manc supporters went a lot further in setting up FC United than some of ours have by setting up NUSC.

The point I'm making is that supporter unrest is merely a convenient excuse for Ashley to do publicly what he was doing privately anyway, and as such is largely irrelevant to out current situation.

It that the same Ashley who turned down the Man City buyers?  If it is, what does that do to your theory that he was trying to sell in private?

Its these types of loyalties that have held this club back for the last 15 years.

Eh? Examples?

Held the club back from the heady days of nearly dropping into the 3rd?

How does a supporter's loyalty to an ex-manager hold the club back exactly?

One a smallish scale not allowing the promising Bellamy/Kluivert partnership to grow in order to allow Shearer to get to the goal record?

Example no. 2.

There are more. 

How about refusing to back SBR's judgement in going for Miguel, Portugal's RB and spending £2m on Carr instead? That was a good call wasn't it?

I hope you aren't advocating them spending money they didn't have ? Haven't you slated them for doing that ?

Buying and selling players needs to be done within the club's budget and that's never really been Keegan's forte unless he is allowed to spend pretty generously.

You don't buy into that surely do you? :lol:

It reads to me that you're trying to convince yourself of this in order to convince yourself that the set-up/system/structure Ashley put in place is the right thing for the club and if that really is the case you've lost it mate. Seriously.

that is the case with a lot of people.

Keegan walked out in 1997 because he couldn't work under a new structure...a structure which you keep defending to the hilt non-stop under Shepherd which did bring a relative amount of success.

you won't find a post by me defending the club going PLC

Apology accepted.

Its these types of loyalties that have held this club back for the last 15 years.

Eh? Examples?

Held the club back from the heady days of nearly dropping into the 3rd?

How does a supporter's loyalty to an ex-manager hold the club back exactly?

One a smallish scale not allowing the promising Bellamy/Kluivert partnership to grow in order to allow Shearer to get to the goal record?

Managerial choice, nothing to do with supporter loyalty.

Some managers are loyal to players who have done well in the past even when form dips and keep consistency in the team, others will swap and change the team based on form. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, and both have worked successfully. When Butt came back from relegated Birmingham noone here held out any hope for him, yet he was very good that season and the same kind of faith in a player you're talking about with Shearer was rewarded.

/sidetrack

Really?

Do you think that had Souness sat Shearer on the bench for a run of 5-10 games to allow Kluivert and Bellamy to have a run of games the crowd would have been supportive?

One loss and the pressure to recall Shearer would have been massive.

(The same goes if SBR had not been sacked and then proceded to give Shearer a prolonged sit down)

if the club had won games, the fans would have supported anything. I know you say that in your 2nd sentence, but that is the whole point, is it not ? Such a thing like this is down to managers choice, and nothing else. Nowt to do with supporters, after all, he doesn't have to play anybody who the supporters want to play.

I cant speak for anyone else but i'm for the club above any individual. My loyalty is to NUFC and not to an individual especially in a situation where no one knows the facts.

I don't think many have loyalties above the club as a whole tbf. I think all Skirge/cp's point is that where we don't know the facts, one is forced to ask who they trust on gut instinct and past experience alone.

Keegan has surely done much more for this club than Ashley has, and so many retain the view that the former is the one they choose to trust and therefore back. This may seem daft to some, but it doesn't to me.

It seems daft to me when the implications of the choice (based on no facts) is the implosion of the club. Thats quite an outcome based on the job someone did 10 years ago and ignoring the bad elements of that period.

I'm not sure anyone could have predicted Ashley taking the protest so literally, and so quickly. Football fans are hysterically fickle; I'm reasonably convinced that if he had stuck to his guns (and his system), and a new manager had won a few games, Keegan would be soon forgotten as a bad idea.

don't you think that his whole outlook of running a successful club without spending much money had been blown to smithereens ie the penny dropped and for that reason he's more than happy to sell ?

How about refusing to back SBR's Keegan's judgement in going for Miguel Warnock, Portugal's RB Blackburn's LB and spending £2m on Carr £0m on nobody instead? That was a good call wasn't it?

It's easy this game.

Funny isn't it how so many chairman refuse to back their managers even though big claims are made on behalf of a certain former Chairman?

I was merely being facetious. :)

Just making the point that it's easy to draw parallels between the different chairman/owners not backing their chosen manager at certain times. Which makes it strange your opinion differs now.

Shepherd sometimes didn't back the manager - bad.

Ashley/his system sometimes didn't back the manager - good?

Maybe it's best we don't open this can of worms on second thoughts. We all know how it will end...>  :hijack:

Well at least I can't be blamed for the hijack this time.

He's got you there, and you want to leave it at that then ?

Liverpool supporters have protested far more about Hicks than we have about Ashley, and some of the manc supporters went a lot further in setting up FC United than some of ours have by setting up NUSC.

The point I'm making is that supporter unrest is merely a convenient excuse for Ashley to do publicly what he was doing privately anyway, and as such is largely irrelevant to out current situation.

It that the same Ashley who turned down the Man City buyers?  If it is, what does that do to your theory that he was trying to sell in private?

did he? i havnt realy been on here for a while so have obviously missed something.

what a twat if he did though, hate him even more now! ;D

(can see your point though)

did he? i havnt realy been on here for a while so have obviously missed something.

what a t*** if he did though, hate him even more now! ;D

(can see your point though)

This doesn't give much away but other places reported that we were approached and Ashley said that he didn't want to sell, or something like that.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/529670-abu-dhabi-chiefs-set-to-meet-premier-league?ln=en

You're missing an important part of the reason why protests affected Ashley more than Hicks, Glazers and before them the likes of Doug Ellis.

Ashley bought the club for fun, because he wanted to go to the match and mix with normal people - enjoy himself. Now he can't do that there's no point in him hanging around.

The fact that he has folded so quickly suggests to me that he is anything but a ruthless businessman with regard to this. If he was he would have hung around, made the club a success and continued taking the money.

If this really is true, is it just me that thinks this an absolutely horrifying thought... that he wasnt actually taking the whole thing serious. Its a fine line between having fun and not caring a jot.

How about refusing to back SBR's Keegan's judgement in going for Miguel Warnock, Portugal's RB Blackburn's LB and spending £2m on Carr £0m on nobody instead? That was a good call wasn't it?

It's easy this game.

Funny isn't it how so many chairman refuse to back their managers even though big claims are made on behalf of a certain former Chairman?

Just making the point that it's easy to draw parallels between the different chairman/owners not backing their chosen manager at certain times. Which makes it strange your opinion differs now.

Maybe it's best we don't open this can of worms on second thoughts. We all know how it will end...>  :hijack:

No I just didn't want to hijack the thread ;)

It's easy this game.

No I just didn't want to hijack the thread ;)

well, you have. And as its usually me who hijacks every thread thats ever been hijacked or slightly moved topic, thats some going.

If he bought the club for fun I'd imagine he'd have not worried so much about spending a few quid. What's fun about a s*** squad and not taking any gambles?

Bollocks man.

So you know that he had no intention of spending? Serious question bytheway becasue I've heard alot of of people stating Ashley's intentions and his real agenda but none seem keen to share any "inside information" that they know i dont, with me., or with anyone for that matter.

Does anyone know how what was going on with KEegan affected his transfer plans? How many players did Keegan turn etc etc...? Im seriously keen on knowing becasue it seems to me that ALOT of people are basing DEFINITIVe opinions on the absolute bare minimum.

As for the squad being shit - i dont get it, was it shit when we were drawing at old trafford? We have a good squad - we need a good manager to put things back on track. We are short of numbers and NO ONE outside the club knows the reason for this - but for some reason, seemingly logical and articultaed people are losing their minds over this.

If he bought the club for fun I'd imagine he'd have not worried so much about spending a few quid. What's fun about a s*** squad and not taking any gambles?

Bollocks man.

So you know that he had no intention of spending? Serious question bytheway becasue I've heard alot of of people stating Ashley's intentions and his real agenda but none seem keen to share any "inside information" that they know i dont, with me., or with anyone for that matter.

Does anyone know how what was going on with KEegan affected his transfer plans? How many players did Keegan turn etc etc...? Im seriously keen on knowing becasue it seems to me that ALOT of people are basing DEFINITIVe opinions on the absolute bare minimum.

As for the squad being shit - i dont get it, was it shit when we were drawing at old trafford? We have a good squad - we need a good manager to put things back on track. We are short of numbers and NO ONE outside the club knows the reason for this - but for some reason, seemingly logical and articultaed people are losing their minds over this.

He's shown absolutely no evidence of being willing to spend has he? Either with the manager he inherited or the one he appointed. Why have we spent so little under him?

Bollocks man.

He's shown absolutely no evidence of being willing to spend has he? Either with the manager he inherited or the one he appointed. Why have we spent so little under him?

He didn't do his research when he bought the club is where it started to go wrong and I think he had some delusion about making it profitable quickly, which as we all know is almost impossible in football if you really want to compete.

Bollocks man.

As for the squad being s*** - i dont get it, was it s*** when we were drawing at old trafford? We have a good squad - we need a good manager to put things back on track. We are short of numbers and NO ONE outside the club knows the reason for this - but for some reason, seemingly logical and articultaed people are losing their minds over this.

I dunno - a club record fee for a defender seems like a bit of evidence to me. I know Milner's sale came after that but again I ask you do you have evidence to to suggest that those transfers was mutually dependant - especially with the rumours of Schweinstiger being lined up after Milner...and beside would you turn down £12m for Milner?

He could easily of gone down the Bassong route if his agenda's was so corrupt and he had no intention of spending.

We still dont know what happned with Modric either...the evidence is definitely there - more evidence than there is to suggest he was only in it to screw us over...

Buying and selling players needs to be done within the club's budget and that's never really been Keegan's forte unless he is allowed to spend pretty generously.

You don't buy into that surely do you? :lol:

It reads to me that you're trying to convince yourself of this in order to convince yourself that the set-up/system/structure Ashley put in place is the right thing for the club and if that really is the case you've lost it mate. Seriously.

that is the case with a lot of people.

Keegan walked out in 1997 because he couldn't work under a new structure...a structure which you keep defending to the hilt non-stop under Shepherd which did bring a relative amount of success.

you won't find a post by me defending the club going PLC

Apology accepted.

But you do defend Shepherd, and Keegan walked out first time not long after he took over as Chairman iirc, because of what was happening with the club. After a pretty average first few seasons, Shepherd started to get it right and we had a bit of success. Who's to say if Keegan hadn't stuck it out for a bit back then, that he couldn't have got us back to where we were when Hall was in sole charge? Same criteria applies for today.

He didn't do his research when he bought the club is where it started to go wrong and I think he had some delusion about making it profitable quickly, which as we all know is almost impossible in football if you really want to compete.

Nobody's fault but his own, as I've said a few times now. As I've said elsewhere I applaud many of the ideas and principles since he arrived, but the sheer lack of overall spending is just a basic fuck up. Newsflash - it costs money to keep a club in the Premier League. Where the frig did he think all those debts he loves to brag about paying off came from in the first place? Not all of them were as a result of incompetence.

Bollocks man.

As for the squad being s*** - i dont get it, was it s*** when we were drawing at old trafford? We have a good squad - we need a good manager to put things back on track. We are short of numbers and NO ONE outside the club knows the reason for this - but for some reason, seemingly logical and articultaed people are losing their minds over this.

I dunno - a club record fee for a defender seems like a bit of evidence to me. I know Milner's sale came after that but again I ask you do you have evidence to to suggest that those transfers was mutually dependant - especially with the rumours of Schweinstiger being lined up after Milner...and beside would you turn down £12m for Milner?

He could easily of gone down the Bassong route if his agenda's was so corrupt and he had no intention of spending.

We still dont know what happned with Modric either...the evidence is definitely there - more evidence than there is to suggest he was only in it to screw us over...

Where did I say he was only in it to screw us over? ???

Bollocks man.

Where did I say he was only in it to screw us over? ???

Ok the sentiments the same - he wasnt in it for the good of the club, would that be more accurate of your feelings? (i.e not buying the club for fun more of a business exercise with the intentions solely of making money out of us)