The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Ok, so we are after Mbia..Why the hell would Kinnear want to tell this to everyone before his club has decided if they want to accept a bid? Is he trying to push the price up? Notify all other potential interested clubs? He is either unbelivably stupid or just lying..or both.

wasn't so long ago everyone wanted to know everything that was going on....now he tells and it's wrong.

Nobody was unhappy about the unexpected unveiling of signings in the summer.

There's a huge difference between keeping transfer targets quiet and not telling us anything about the future of the club's very existence.

I'll be surprised and relatively impressed if we spend £10m net in the next two weeks. Of course the squad being improved is miles more important than how much is spent, but spending money without recouping it by selling the better players we already have would be a significant (and required) show of intent and commitment.

The only thing that is important is that the squad is improved, if the squd is visibly improved by the end of this window i would be more happier if we'd spent £5k then i would if we'd spent £15m becasue that way it would prove the effectiveness and value of this set up and system.

And if changes were unsuccessful I'd give Ashley much more credit for committing money to it than not.

Good players are good players, if they fail when they come here it has nothing to do with there transfer fee. the only picture that people should be considering is how much the squad is improved.

The fact that a £10m failure would be more accpetable than a £10k failure says alot about you're way of thinking. I didnt relaise you were from the NE5 school of thinking.

Expenisve players = good players

Cheap players = s*** players.

thats effectively what you;re saying.

Presumably in your world, Man Utd and Chelsea winning everything is in no way linked to the amount of money they spend.

man utd built on the nevilles,scholes,butt,giggs,beckham. the backbone of what they've achieved really.

What's your point?

you can improve without having to spend ridiculous amounts.

So why does Fergie have three £30m centre forwards, a £30m centre half, four £20m midfielders?

why's he also got darren fletcher,john o'shea,evans,park and a good crop of youngsters.

did you read what i posted about "you can improve" ? which is what we need right now. if we want to challenge man utd we may need to spend big but as of right now improving in reality comes before dreaming.

You can improve but it's unlikely. Generally clubs who spend nothing go nowhere.

generally we've outspent arsenal in tha past

Again, I'm not sure that has any relevance to what I just said. I never said money guaranteed success - not spending money guarantees failure though.

Ok, so we are after Mbia..Why the hell would Kinnear want to tell this to everyone before his club has decided if they want to accept a bid? Is he trying to push the price up? Notify all other potential interested clubs? He is either unbelivably stupid or just lying..or both.

wasn't so long ago everyone wanted to know everything that was going on....now he tells and it's wrong.

There's a huge difference between keeping transfer targets quiet and not telling us anything about the future of the club's very existence.

back check the threads around that time. people were doing there ends on here about no news,gossip from the club about signings,intrest etc

Guest ovesbar

Well..telling IF they are going to buy players or loan players or sell players is one thing..but to acctually say which players we have bid for, and how much is just stupid. Every other interested club could just make a 4,1 mill bid for Mbia now..Or his club could demand 5 million, because they know we have 10 available..

back check the threads around that time. people were doing there ends on here about no news,gossip from the club about signings,intrest etc

I remember making a thread praising the club for it. You thinking of SUPERTOON f5ing in fury?

Well..telling IF they are going to buy players or loan players or sell players is one thing..but to acctually say which players we have bid for, and how much is just stupid. Every other interested club could just make a 4,1 mill bid for Mbia now..Or his club could demand 5 million, because they know we have 10 available..

pretty sure the agent would let that known to all interested parties anyway

Guest Heneage

I dunno Dave the closer to deadline it was major shit the bed time.

I think if Ashley wants us like an Arsenal, then he will have to spend cash, getting good young coaches from around Europe, as well as buying some good strong talent now, that will cost money, remember Henry cost £10m, this was for an average player at Juventus, and even he didn't spark into life as soon as he took the pitch. The likes of Defour and Witsel of Belgium, Sakho of France, yes these players will not be cheap, but you have to spend to get the foundations at least built, if you could build greatness on a shoe string everyone would do it.

Good scouting and Bosman's are part of it, Jonas showed you what scouting achieves, a good player that's cost us very little, but you need to get players from a lot of differing avenues. Scouting youth championships for the likes of Baheng and Soderberg, scouting players with contract situations like Jonas, good first team ready talent like Bassong, then players with quality and time to grow like Colocinni.

I dunno to me it just seems such a simple regime to implement, but it costs, so the fact he's taking time to do it makes you wonder if that's his stumbling block. I mean in September despite the fact we hadn't bought numbers I felt we had bought quality, so we should be building on that , we can not be the same club that took Kluivert on.

Guest ovesbar

Sure he would, but there is no point in telling the world when nothing is certain. Just another dissapointment for the fans. And it could create interest from clubs that not already are interested. And everyone knows that in negotiations, one of the most stupid things you could do is to tell the other party how much you have to spend overall.

Sure he would, but there is no point in telling the world when nothing is certain. Just another dissapointment for the fans. And it could create interest from clubs that not already are interested. And everyone knows that in negotiations, one of the most stupid things you could do is to tell the other party how much you have to spend overall.

maybe but it seems like in todays game everyone knows what cards everyone else is holding....then the player takes his pick

Wouldn't put it past the club to be lying about these two supposed £4million bids, inorder to quell any unrest amongst the fans. They have lied before and will do it again - remember that. We can only believe it when someone signs on the dotted line. Until then....

I'll be surprised and relatively impressed if we spend £10m net in the next two weeks. Of course the squad being improved is miles more important than how much is spent, but spending money without recouping it by selling the better players we already have would be a significant (and required) show of intent and commitment.

The only thing that is important is that the squad is improved, if the squd is visibly improved by the end of this window i would be more happier if we'd spent £5k then i would if we'd spent £15m becasue that way it would prove the effectiveness and value of this set up and system.

And if changes were unsuccessful I'd give Ashley much more credit for committing money to it than not.

Good players are good players, if they fail when they come here it has nothing to do with there transfer fee. the only picture that people should be considering is how much the squad is improved.

The fact that a £10m failure would be more accpetable than a £10k failure says alot about you're way of thinking. I didnt relaise you were from the NE5 school of thinking.

Cheap players = shit players.

Not at all. Better players generally cost more money. This is indisputable; even the crappiest club knows when it has a decent player on its hands and can attempt to fleece a Premier League club.

Ashley has spent hardly anything so far, and to me that signifies a lack of ambition for the club. I'm not demanding we spend loads and loads of money, far from it. All I'm saying is that if we spend £10m net this window and keep players like Shay Given, not only will it almost guarantee a decent calibre of player coming in, it will be a major sign of commitment from our owner to me. A sign that perhaps he wasn't lying the other week when he said he was committed to moving us forward again. A sign that he wants to see us progress out of the mire. A sign that he's willing to invest in the playing staff.

If we can improve the squad for pennies then brilliant. I'd then want to know where that money saved is going.

Thats fair enough but its diluting the fact that the only important hing is that the squad improves. Thats it. Thats all there is to complain about, if it does then kudos to the club if it doesnt then we have a problem.

the whole point to this sytem and structure is that we look for thenot so obvious players, the ones that slip under the radar, the ones that arent comneding a huge fee but the potential to do so. Every single player out there has a starting value of £0m. If all we were doing was looking for the more estabilished players who are making strides into world football then there'd be no point to the system. I see a point in NUFC history when we should be going for the £10m season after season, but i dont think the time is now, becasue £10m+ geneally demand higher wages.

That was before the credit crunchie really kicked into gear don't forget!

I think that could change things quite a bit.

Cheap players = shit players.

Presumably in your world, Man Utd and Chelsea winning everything is in no way linked to the amount of money they spend.

:lol:

My god, you've cracked it, in order to be the best teams in the world, you need to go for the best players in the world.  :clap:

So what if you;re not in a position to compete for the top players - then what? Is your master plan that we go for the most expensive we can afford? Is that it? Well done sir, have a banana.

Newcastle-Online: Where patronising is an artform.

*takes a bow*

Took me hours.

On another note, I'd be rather pi**ed off if M'Bia joins Newcastle; for obvious reasons.

Although, as soon as he started drivelling out utter dogs**t about how he wanted to feed his family back in Africa, then my estimation of him dropped.

Newcastle-Online: Where patronising is an artform.

*takes a bow*

Took me hours.

On another note, I'd be rather pi**ed off if M'Bia joins Newcastle; for obvious reasons.

Although, as soon as he started drivelling out utter dogs**t about how he wanted to feed his family back in Africa, then my estimation of him dropped.

:lol:

For those reasons alone id love to pull off this transfer, beating another club to a trasnfer is one of the games sweetest momenets, i dont care how much it back fired on us eventually, i fucking loved it when we beat spurs to Duff.

Joe clutching at straws tbh. so did those two midfield loans exist? how long does kinnear have left, when we get thumped by blackburn on saturday his tenure might become unbearable.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/doomed.jpg

:frantic:

apparently made an enquiry about Olivier Dacourt.......

---

Published Date: 14 January 2009

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has made a move for former Leeds United midfielder Olivier Dacourt, the player's agent has confirmed.

Bruno Satin, the player's representative, says a return to the Premier League is an option, with Newcastle also said to have inquired about him.

Redknapp watched Inter's game against Genoa on Tuesday night and reports have claimed he flew to Italy to sign striker Adriano.

But Dacourt is no longer needed by Inter boss Jose Mourinho and Spurs, as well as the Magpies, have emerged as possible destinations for the Frenchman.

Dacourt, 34, has only appeared once in the Italian league this season.

Satin told Setanta.com: "Tottenham have enquired about Olivier and it would be a nice option.

"Newcastle have also taken information about him."

The former Leeds and Everton player told L'Equipe: "I have set a deadline regarding my future. I have plenty of contacts everywhere, in Italy, England, Spain, but I prefer to wait for the moment.

"My kids go to school in Milan; as a consequence I'm not going to just do whatever. I have plenty of options, too many in fact, and you have pros and cons at every club."

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/football/Spurs-and-Magpies-in-for.4876777.jp

Guest Darth Toon

That was before the credit crunchie really kicked into gear don't forget!

I think that could change things quite a bit.

To counteract that though Sterling has since gone into freefall - Everton's 6 million bid was worth close to 8 million Euros, our supposed 4 million bid is worth around......4 million Euros.

Not going to happen is it? This to me looks like sticking in a few derisory low bids so at least come the end of the window they can say "oh well, we tried, but if the clubs won't sell what can we do?"

Also, what happened to the 2 loan players - should be here today shouldn't they?? Or are we supposed to forget about them now we're bidding for tall Africans?

Cheap players = s*** players.

You only have to look at our CB's to see that you can get shite (Colo) for huge £££'s & a good centre back for less than £2 million (Bassong).

But the clubs that win stuff show you have to spend big to compete.

thats it in a nutshell. So difficult to comprehend for some, but so basic.