The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Guest The Libertine

Newcastle United have signed the new Gazza - former Magpies and England star Paul Gascoigne's seven-year-old nephew Cameron Gascoigne, who has been snapped up after scoring 22 goals in a 30-minute junior match. (Daily Star)

Guest Brazilianbob

I am not holding my breath expecting to sign these two players.  In my opinion, the clubs will reject our £4m offers out of hand expecting us to go back with increased bids, but of course we can't afford any more so we will be back to relying on our Argie and Eytie loanees.  I just hope they are of a decent quality, but somehow I doubt it!

JOE Kinnear has been told that he does have money to spend during the January transfer window - and has already made bids for two players.

The United boss is waiting to find out whether the two offers have been successful and says he expects to have a war chest of about £10m to spend before the deadline.

"We've made two serious offers for decent money," said Kinnear. "When I say decent money, two £4m offers for two players. They're considering them now. We made the bids today (Wednesday).

"We'll probably end up spending, at the moment, about £10m but the two players I've offered for are £4m each.

"The players that go out would be extra. That would be extra on top of what I've got."

Kinnear held a meeting with Mike Ashley on Tuesday night to discuss the club's transfer policy over the next few weeks and said he was pleased with the outcome.

JK added: "I identified the two players that we wanted, told them the price of the two players and (Mike Ashley) agreed to get them providing they accept the offers and whatever is on the outgoing players would add to that as well.

"So with the outgoing players I would hope to be nearer £10m than £8m. We'll find out tomorrow on the two players coming in.

"I'm very optimistic about it. One of them is very crucial for us at the moment. He plays for Cameroon. He's a decent player. He's 6ft 2ins, he's pacy, he's powerful and I just thought he would add something else to us.

"I explained who it was to him (Ashley) and we got on the case and we've spoken to the club that he plays for. So we're just keeping our fingers crossed that they accept it."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1520434,00.html

Words fail me.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/15/kinnear-close-to-double-swoop-61634-22698319/

Kinnear close to double swoop

Jan 15 2009 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

JOE Kinnear hopes to bury the bad news of Newcastle United’s FA Cup exit under the announcement of two £4m signings today.

The unfortunate Magpies lost 1-0 to Hull City in last night’s third round replay but their manager is hoping for better news on the transfer front. Having persuaded the club’s backers to provide extra funds in the transfer window, he hopes to spend it all today, on Stephane Mbia and Albin Ebondo.

“We’ve made two serious efforts for decent money on players – two £4m offers,” he revealed last night. “We made the bids yesterday, they’re considering it now. We’ll probably end up spending at the moment, unless anything else happens, £10m.”

The extra cash could come from the sale of Geremi. The Cameroon midfielder is considering an offer, thought to be from Besiktas.

Kinnear had been expected to raise all the money he spent on transfer this month through sales, but persuaded Mike Ashley of the need for extra funds in a meeting on Tuesday evening.

“I said to Mike I’d identified the two players and told him the price,” he added. “Whatever there is from outgoing players will add to them. We’re hoping to find out on Thursday on the two players coming in.

“I said one of them was very crucial to us at the moment. He plays for Cameroon, he’s a decent player, 6ft 2in, powerful. I just thought he would add something else to us. We’ve spoken to the club he plays for, fingers crossed they accept it.”

That was understood to be a reference to Rennes’ Mbia, while Toulouse right-back Ebondo is thought to be the other target.

Events on the field, however, did not go well for Newcastle last night. Hull’s win, earned totally against the run of play by Daniel Cousin’s 81st-minute tap-in, was their first in the third round of the FA Cup since 1989.

“We were the better team by miles, by miles,” reflected Kinnear. “We missed at least five clear-cut chances.

“Michael (Owen, the chief culprit) being the finisher he is, you would have thought he would have put away at least one of the chances he had.” Nicky Butt headed against the bar from a free-kick but the most notable incident of the first half was a flashpoint between Kinnear and opposite number Phil Brown.

The pair clashed when South Shields-born Brown applauded the booking for Fabricio Coloccini’s foul on Cousin. “I

don’t know why I was sent off,” said Kinnear. “We just had words. He (Brown) had plenty to say and I answered.

“He didn’t actually say anything to me. He was having a rant at Chris (Hughton, Kinnear’s assistant). He wasn’t saying too many pleasant things to him. I just said to him, ‘Enough’ and sent Chris to sit down. I don’t know if my reputation precedes me.”

Brown explained: “I was contesting the fact that every time the ball came to Danny Cousin the centre-half kept coming through the back of him. They did not think that was the case in their dug-out.

“They were arguing Cousin was diving. I know the lad and he’s not the type to do that.”

Kinnear is still waiting to hear what punishment he faces for calling Martin Atkinson a “Mickey Mouse referee” at Fulham, and for his last dismissal, against Stoke City. He is contesting the latter charge, but not the former.

Brown’s number two, Brian Horton, claimed Hull were owed their fortune after outplaying Newcastle in the original game between the pair, which ended 0-0.

“They rode their luck at our place because Shay (Given) saved them there,” he pointed out.

The Tigers will now entertain Millwall in round four. They should have Kevin Kilbane in their ranks against Arsenal at the weekend after the former Sunderland winger had a medical yesterday and is expected to complete his move from Wigan Athletic.

Newcastle’s players wore black armbands last night in honour of the late Tommy Casey, part of the last United team to win the FA Cup, in 1955.

Casey, the club’s 10th oldest surviving player until his death on Sunday, aged 78, played 134 times for the Magpies between 1952 and 1958, scoring 10 goals.

WIGAN chief executive Brenda Spencer does not expect in-demand striker Emile Heskey to leave in the transfer window after claiming the player pledged to stay until at least the summer.

Heskey, who is out of contract in the summer, has been linked with former club Liverpool and Aston Villa in recent weeks.

Manager Steve Bruce has stressed he wants to keep his squad intact and remains hopeful the England international will sign a new deal.

It now seems unlikely the 31-year-old will leave this month.

“I think Emile has been fantastic for us,” said Spencer. “When we bought him from Birmingham people thought we were mad but he has been an absolute gem for us and has done well for himself.

“He is a fantastic pro and we would be sorry to lose him in the summer if he goes.”

Kinnear close to double swoop

4 million pound for M'Bia would be a steal. Will not happen.

I think the two offers are for Mbia & Ebondo and with any luck Ashley will give a little bit more cash if needed, and IF we can get the two loan players things may start looking a bit better.

I think the two offers are for Mbia & Ebondo and with any luck Ashley will give a little bit more cash if needed, and

He might do but I doubt it,  Kinnear said he'll get back what ever he sells to add to this.  So at least 1.5 for Geremi and if Zog goes you can add another 8m on top.

I think the two offers are for Mbia & Ebondo and with any luck Ashley will give a little bit more cash if needed, and

He might do but I doubt it,  Kinnear said he'll get back what ever he sells to add to this.  So at least 1.5 for Geremi and if Zog goes you can add another 8m on top.

Aye but will Ashley stump up and wait for the cash back when we sell a few or will he make us wait and we ebd up missing out on them.

Aye but will Ashley stump up and wait for the cash back when we sell a few or will he make us wait and we ebd up missing out on them.

He'll probably wait,  I remember when they sold Dyer, Big Sam wanted Elano in but they had to wait until they sold Dyer, subsquently Elano went to City and we got Smith,  great days.

He'll probably wait,  I remember when they sold Dyer, Big Sam wanted Elano in but they had to wait until they sold Dyer, subsquently Elano went to City and we got Smith,  great days.

Aye thats my worry, we are always slow to act and I doubt we will get them both for £10mill so we will need extra.

Ah, after being pleasantly surprised about the outcome of the Woodgate sale and about how positive the Milner deal looked a couple of days later because of what was done with the money recouped, I can't help looking forward to these kind of transfer dealings and promises...

Aye thats my worry, we are always slow to act and I doubt we will get them both for £10mill so we will need extra.

Yeah we need that Mbia or another CM as a priority.  I wouldnt mind if we went up to even 8 for him and brought in cheap cover at the back such as Finnan or a Loan deal.

Yeah we need that Mbia or another CM as a priority.  I wouldnt mind if we went up to even 8 for him and brought in cheap cover at the back such as Finnan or a Loan deal.

Its about time we had a big DMl like he is 6' 2" so no short arse, his stats are funny he likesa shot at goal but in three seasons he has had 73 shots 12 on target with 4 goals :lol:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=84899&&cc=5739

Its about time we had a big DMl like he is 6' 2" so no short arse, his stats are funny he likesa shot at goal but in three seasons he has had 73 shots 12 on target with 4 goals :lol:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=84899&&cc=5739

Amady Faye Mk II?