The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Clubs that don't have to sell will try to shaft us for as much as possible obviously.

If we got say 8 million for Given then spent the whole lot on the likes of Kyle Naughton I think I would give up.

You just know Kinnear would spent half of it on some Championship player, the other half? Championship player again

It's interesting that some people are now questioning the managers right to have the  final say on transfers ;)

FWIW there's nothing wrong with signing players from the Championship.

He is a very poor manager, so i dont trust him to improve us with Championship players.

Also there isnt anything wrong with Championship players, but only if you compliment them with some Premiership standard signings. Also dont you think in a time when we desperately need quality, spending millions on Championship players is abit stupid?

Depends on who you sign.  You've made the assumption that Championship players can't already be Premiership standard which, to use your phrase, is a bit stupid. 

And if they arnt? Can we afford to buy players who might not work out? I meant proven Premiership players btw

Clubs that don't have to sell will try to shaft us for as much as possible obviously.

If we got say 8 million for Given then spent the whole lot on the likes of Kyle Naughton I think I would give up.

You just know Kinnear would spent half of it on some Championship player, the other half? Championship player again

It's interesting that some people are now questioning the managers right to have the  final say on transfers ;)

FWIW there's nothing wrong with signing players from the Championship.

He is a very poor manager, so i dont trust him to improve us with Championship players.

Also there isnt anything wrong with Championship players, but only if you compliment them with some Premiership standard signings. Also dont you think in a time when we desperately need quality, spending millions on Championship players is abit stupid?

Depends on who you sign.  You've made the assumption that Championship players can't already be Premiership standard which, to use your phrase, is a bit stupid. 

And if they arnt? Can we afford to buy players who might not work out? I meant proven Premiership players btw

Most of our current squad are failing to prove themselves in PL week after week. We are in the crud, most of our signings are going to be gambles or squad players from CL teams at best.

I'd certainly take a prospect like Naughton over a 'money-grabber' like Neill. Even if Claridge has given him the kiss of death with this report - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/28/championship-sheffieldunited

Linked with a double deal for him and Stephen Quinn (LW) on the Ceefax 338 page.

The ginger haired chap? Och.

Well (if there's any truth in that), atleast Kinnear has identified that we're short at left-wing. It doesn't matter if you've only got one right-back, so long as you've got four left-wingers - you tend to get by. So it's a big hearty 'phew' from me on this one. :thup:

I'd certainly take a prospect like Naughton over a 'money-grabber' like Neill. Even if Claridge has given him the kiss of death with this report - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/28/championship-sheffieldunited

Linked with a double deal for him and Stephen Quinn (LW) on the Ceefax 338 page.

Well (if there's any truth in that), atleast Kinnear has identified that we're short at left-wing. It doesn't matter if you've only got one right-back, so long as you've got four left-wingers - you tend to get by. So it's a big hearty 'phew' from me on this one. :thup:

We have more left wingers than New Labour.

We have more left wingers than New Labour.

none ?

Joe Kinnear insists he is "proud" of his record at Newcastle - and claims the club can still have a "respectable" season.

The Toon boss is under pressure to deliver after owner Mike Ashley set him a target of finishing in the European qualifying places, saying: "What price a flutter on us reaching the top six?"

And sources in Spain claim that Newcastle are keeping their options open over Kinnear's future beyond this season, with Benfica boss Quique Sanchez Flores sounded out about the job.

The Newcastle boss has been in charge for three months, claiming four wins out of 14 games, and is desperate for an FA Cup run to lift the spirits.

Advertisement - article continues below »

The Geordies are two points above the drop zone and need January signings to relieve an injury crisis which has seen 10 first teamers struck down ahead of tomorrow's trip to Hull.

But the ex-Wimbledon manager said: "I'm proud of what we have achieved so far and I feel we can build on it.

"I am only looking ahead and only looking upwards, and I think we can get a respectable finish because this division is just so close."

Kinnear is considering a move for young Marseille full-back Taiye Taiwo and Blackburn defender Chris Samba, 24. But he also faces a battle with transfer chief Dennis Wise who will have to be persuaded to go for established players like Papa Bouba Diop on large fees.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/02/joe-kinnear-says-newcastle-could-reach-top-six-115875-21009762/

So he's proud of having us teetering 2 points off the relegation zone by New Year, with a squad boasting genuine quality like Michael Owen, Martins, Beye, Given, Nicky Butt, Jonas. The guy's a fucking clown. How anyone can't be thoroughly fucking sick of this utter muppet taking our team forward is beyond me. Makes me vom, the idea that this is the guy who is our current pioneer. He's a knob. And i know there's no one better and he's better than Hughton, blah blah blah, but i mean someone on here summed it up earlier on. "I think he's done a better job than any of us could." Oh right, that's alright then, thank fuck we didn't appoint a total amateur from an internet message board with no footballing experience whatsoever. We'd really be in the shit then.

Joe Kinnear insists he is "proud" of his record at Newcastle - and claims the club can still have a "respectable" season.

The Toon boss is under pressure to deliver after owner Mike Ashley set him a target of finishing in the European qualifying places, saying: "What price a flutter on us reaching the top six?"

And sources in Spain claim that Newcastle are keeping their options open over Kinnear's future beyond this season, with Benfica boss Quique Sanchez Flores sounded out about the job.

The Newcastle boss has been in charge for three months, claiming four wins out of 14 games, and is desperate for an FA Cup run to lift the spirits.

The Geordies are two points above the drop zone and need January signings to relieve an injury crisis which has seen 10 first teamers struck down ahead of tomorrow's trip to Hull.

But the ex-Wimbledon manager said: "I'm proud of what we have achieved so far and I feel we can build on it.

"I am only looking ahead and only looking upwards, and I think we can get a respectable finish because this division is just so close."

Kinnear is considering a move for young Marseille full-back Taiye Taiwo and Blackburn defender Chris Samba, 24. But he also faces a battle with transfer chief Dennis Wise who will have to be persuaded to go for established players like Papa Bouba Diop on large fees.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/02/joe-kinnear-says-newcastle-could-reach-top-six-115875-21009762/

So he's proud of having us teetering 2 points off the relegation zone by New Year, with a squad boasting genuine quality like Michael Owen, Martins, Beye, Given, Nicky Butt, Jonas. The guy's a fucking clown. How anyone can't be thoroughly fucking sick of this utter muppet taking our team forward is beyond me. Makes me vom, the idea that this is the guy who is our current pioneer. He's a knob. And i know there's no one better and he's better than Hughton, blah blah blah, but i mean someone on here summed it up earlier on. "I think he's done a better job than any of us could." Oh right, that's alright then, thank fuck we didn't appoint a total amateur from an internet message board with no footballing experience whatsoever. We'd really be in the shit then.

couldn't agree more

Funny thing is Keegan had a similar record at the end of last season and most seen it as being great.

Funny thing is Keegan had a similar record at the end of last season and most seen it as being great.

are you seriously, seriously trying to draw any kind of parallel between JFK and keegan? 

christ man, i'm not the biggest keegan fan and think he needs to share a fair chunk of the blame for our plight but JFK is a travesty of a manager, he really is

As i've said before, i don't think people really do, do they? It's more to do with the direction we were going in - and the manner in which we turned things around last season, rather than the results themselves.

So he's proud of having us teetering 2 points off the relegation zone by New Year, with a squad boasting genuine quality like Michael Owen, Martins, Beye, Given,Nicky Butt, Jonas. The guy's a f***ing clown. How anyone can't be thoroughly f***ing sick of this utter muppet taking our team forward is beyond me. Makes me vom, the idea that this is the guy who is our current pioneer. He's a knob. And i know there's no one better and he's better than Hughton, blah blah blah, but i mean someone on here summed it up earlier on. "I think he's done a better job than any of us could." Oh right, that's alright then, thank f*** we didn't appoint a total amateur from an internet message board with no footballing experience whatsoever. We'd really be in the s*** then.

Give ower man.

With 'those' players and the rest like Bassong and Colo available he had us 6 unbeaten and looking like a competent side, drop a few of those players from the team due injuries and suspensions and we lose our last 2. He wasn't manager during the last window so how can he be blamed for a shortfall in quality in reserve?

FFS, he nearly got Ameobi playing half-decent.

are you seriously, seriously trying to draw any kind of parallel between JFK and keegan? 

christ man, i'm not the biggest keegan fan and think he needs to share a fair chunk of the blame for our plight but JFK is a travesty of a manager, he really is

I haven't compared how good they are as managers, I've said Kinnear's record this season is similar to Keegan's last year which some people thought was great, even though it took him 12 matches to win a game.

So he's proud of having us teetering 2 points off the relegation zone by New Year, with a squad boasting genuine quality like Michael Owen, Martins, Beye, Given,Nicky Butt, Jonas. The guy's a f***ing clown. How anyone can't be thoroughly f***ing sick of this utter muppet taking our team forward is beyond me. Makes me vom, the idea that this is the guy who is our current pioneer. He's a knob. And i know there's no one better and he's better than Hughton, blah blah blah, but i mean someone on here summed it up earlier on. "I think he's done a better job than any of us could." Oh right, that's alright then, thank f*** we didn't appoint a total amateur from an internet message board with no footballing experience whatsoever. We'd really be in the s*** then.

Give ower man.

With 'those' players and the rest like Bassong and Colo available he had us 6 unbeaten and looking like a competent side, drop a few of those players from the team due injuries and suspensions and we lose our last 2. He wasn't manager during the last window so how can he be blamed for a shortfall in quality in reserve?

I'm not blaming him for the lack of depth, i'm blaming him for pitiful results against the likes of Wigan, Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland, Wigan again. This 'unbeaten in six' thing is becoming a serious get out for him. Yes, we did well to keep some clean sheets and he did appeared to make us look difficult to beat (the win against Pompey was brilliant), and i praised him for that. But you can turn it on it's head just as easily, and say he's not won nearly enough games - which can't be argued imo.

Anyhow, i'm not gonna continue with this cos it's generally just pointless. We're stuck with him and that's not going to change, so i may aswell cross every available limb or digit on my anatomy, and hope for the best.

Great another Kinnear-Keegan debate in the offing.

At the end of the day you can't possibly tell me that Keegan would have done a better job than Kinnear this season because you'd simply be speculating, but at the end of the day who gives a shit? Is Keegan here? No, so why should I care? I know lots of you have a man crush on Kevin Keegan but he isn't our manager anymore and far too many people haven't got over that fact.

Kinnear isn't going to root up any trees but I think he's capable of keeping us up and come the end of the season that would be a success given the circumstances surrounding the club.

At the end of the day you can't possibly tell me that Keegan would have done a better job than Kinnear this season because you'd simply be speculating, but at the end of the day who gives a shit? Is Keegan here? No, so why should I care? I know lots of you have a man crush on Kevin Keegan but he isn't our manager anymore and far too many people haven't got over that fact.

Kinnear isn't going to root up any trees but I think he's capable of keeping us up and come the end of the season that would be a success given the circumstances surrounding the club.

I can and I will.

Give ower man.

I'm not blaming him for the lack of depth, i'm blaming him for pitiful results against the likes of Wigan, Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland, Wigan again. This 'unbeaten in six' thing is becoming a serious get out for him. Yes, we did well to keep some clean sheets and he did appeared to make us look difficult to beat (the win against Pompey was brilliant), and i praised him for that. But you can turn it on it's head just as easily, and say he's not won nearly enough games - which can't be argued imo.

Anyhow, i'm not gonna continue with this cos it's generally just pointless. We're stuck with him and that's not going to change, so i may aswell cross every available limb or digit on my anatomy, and hope for the best.

It took KK last season and JFK this around-a-bout the same number of games to get 'their' team playing the way they wanted. KK getting Viduka back to go 4-3-3, and JFK getting a settled back four.

Before both managers got 'their' teams right both had crap results against supposedly crap opposition.

And the above in no way means I think JFK is anywhere near KK as a manager mind, just put in for balance.

And i'll join you in hoping for the best, as sometimes thats all it feels like we've got.

At the end of the day you can't possibly tell me that Keegan would have done a better job than Kinnear this season because you'd simply be speculating, but at the end of the day who gives a s***? Is Keegan here? No, so why should I care? I know lots of you have a man crush on Kevin Keegan but he isn't our manager anymore and far too many people haven't got over that fact.

I can and I will.

I would as well, at the very very least we wouldn't have played half a season with the utter turmoil thats occurred and thats got to be worth at least 6 points minimum.

We desperately need to add fullbacks and a creative midfielder. wthout these we are funcked!

Any other player are bonuses as far as I am concerned.

Another striker would be handy, a good one that is...

At the end of the day you can't possibly tell me that Keegan would have done a better job than Kinnear this season because you'd simply be speculating, but at the end of the day who gives a s***? Is Keegan here? No, so why should I care? I know lots of you have a man crush on Kevin Keegan but he isn't our manager anymore and far too many people haven't got over that fact.

I can and I will.

For the record I think its obvious Keegan is a better manager than Kinnear but you can't possibly predict what set of circumstances he would of been managing under.

Kinnear's doing okay in difficult circumstances.

One's in which the "Messiah" didnt have the stomach for.

These so-called difficult circumstances wouldn't have been anywhere like this if Keegan had received the full backing of the board. Which is why he left. Not because he didn't have the stomach for the job.

One of the papers has linked us with Quique Sánchez Flores coming in at the end of the season.

We could do a lot worse. Did alreet at Valencia and is top of the league with Benfica - hopefully bring Cardozo with him.

Guest Jawesome

I'd rather have Kinnear than Qique Sanchez Diaz Jose Enrique Luis Garcia Fernando Paco  he fe fe fe fe fe fe fe Flores.