The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Guest toonlass

Riise was in Newcastle today apparently.  :undecided:

Says who?

Fatwax

Do you mean fuck off?

Em no, I meant Fatwax the poster

I don't see how Riise is an improvement of anything though. Only thing would be he might give a little more coming forward than Enrique, otherwise I'd say they're pretty evenly match ability wise at the moment. With the exception that Enrique has potential and Riise's ability is declining.

Guest toonlass

Someone on Skunkers saying we've hijacked Stoke's bid for James Beattie. Hope to fuck it's a pile of shite

Already been mentioned.

James Beattie, that has to be a joke.  A bad one.  It would take real effort to make that sort of mistake.  That would go beyond mere managerial/administrative incompetence and border on deliberate sabotage of the club. 

Why aren't we being linked with central midfielders?  Has no one noticed that Nicky Butt is about 47 years old?  Does he have to wear a sign that says "PAST IT" for someone in charge to notice?

James Beattie, that has to be a joke.  A bad one.  It would take real effort to make that sort of mistake.  That would go beyond mere managerial/administrative incompetence and border on deliberate sabotage of the club. 

Why aren't we being linked with central midfielders?  Has no one noticed that Nicky Butt is about 47 years old?  Does he have to wear a sign that says "PAST IT" for someone in charge to notice?

Even then they'll probably imagine that he's just trying to tell people that he passed the ball.

sorry to piss on your chips lads but Newcastle United have never in their entire history signed top quality footballers from other top clubs like other top clubs do or appointed top managers from other top clubs do either until the last 16  years.

Hope that helps the expectations that you all have.

Maybe in 20 years time the last decade and a half will be looked back on in the context it deserves.

Hopefully not like.

Guest toonlass

sorry to piss on your chips lads but Newcastle United have never in their entire history signed top quality footballers from other top clubs like other top clubs do or appointed top managers from other top clubs do either until the last 16  years.

Maybe in 20 years time the last decade and a half will be looked back on in the context it deserves.

Hopefully not like.

Christ man, you are like the kid at the birthday party who hands over the present and goes, "Its a pencil case". Take all the mystique away. Do you enjoy being a miserable bugger?

Hopefully not like.

So whats your point?

Hopefully not like.

Wouldn't Shearer, Asprilla and Owen contradict your point?

Guest VegasToon

From Bassong, Colo, Jonas and Guthrie, to Riise, Ferguson and Beattie, the contrast is horrible  :lol:

We need players.  As long as we don't trade them for someone off our current squad.  I would be happy.

Newcastle To Rival Olympique Marseille For Werder Striker Sanogo

Newcastle are said to be planning to snatch unsettled Werder Bremen forward Boubacar Sanogo out from under the grasps of Olympique Marseille...

Newcastle have upped their interest in wantaway Werder Bremen striker Boubacar Sanogo, according to the latest reports from Germany.

The Ivory Coast international has found first team chances at the Weserstadion hard to come by since his €4.5million move from Hamburg two years ago, and has already gone on record as saying that he wants to prove himself in England. 

Werder have denied receiving any formal approach for the 25-year-old as of yet, but the indications are that they are open to offers.

The powerful forward has also been heavily linked with Olympique Marseille of late, and certainly did more than just bat his eyelashes in their direction when he told Foot01: “I am happy at Werder but I am African and it is always good to play close to the Mediterranean and Marseille are the most loved team in Africa."

Sanogo has managed just eight appearances for Werder this season as he has been shuffled behind Marcus Rosenberg and the prolific Claudio Pizzarro in the German outfit’s striking order.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/776/werder-bremen/2009/01/09/1051786/newcastle-to-rival-olympique-marseille-for-werder-striker-sanogo

Newcastle To Rival Olympique Marseille For Werder Striker Sanogo

Newcastle are said to be planning to snatch unsettled Werder Bremen forward Boubacar Sanogo out from under the grasps of Olympique Marseille...

Newcastle have upped their interest in wantaway Werder Bremen striker Boubacar Sanogo, according to the latest reports from Germany.

The Ivory Coast international has found first team chances at the Weserstadion hard to come by since his €4.5million move from Hamburg two years ago, and has already gone on record as saying that he wants to prove himself in England. 

Werder have denied receiving any formal approach for the 25-year-old as of yet, but the indications are that they are open to offers.

The powerful forward has also been heavily linked with Olympique Marseille of late, and certainly did more than just bat his eyelashes in their direction when he told Foot01: “I am happy at Werder but I am African and it is always good to play close to the Mediterranean and Marseille are the most loved team in Africa."

Sanogo has managed just eight appearances for Werder this season as he has been shuffled behind Marcus Rosenberg and the prolific Claudio Pizzarro in the German outfit’s striking order.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/776/werder-bremen/2009/01/09/1051786/newcastle-to-rival-olympique-marseille-for-werder-striker-sanogo

Pretty much a non story then!

I guess the upside with the likes of Beattie and Ferguson is that they are low cost older players that could be sold off easily enough to championship clubs at the end of the season IF we get a new manager. Buying younger players to long term deals would be harder to shift when they turn out to be flops.

The downside is the words 'If we get a new manager'.

Guest sittingontheball

Hopefully not like.

The managers bit is barely true for the Hall/Shepherd regime either.

Dalgleish and Robson, maybe. Gullit as a manager was a faker, Allardyce is an arse who's created his own legend, Keegan a novice, and Roeder twice relegated. Souness was reputedly two matches off the sack at Blackburn.

Kinnear is a Souness/Roeder level appointment. That is, nowhere near satisfactory, but nothing we've not seen before. Like Souness, he was probably way way down on the club's wishlist. At least this time it was due to the incumbent walking out, instead of being sacked with incompetent timing.

Hopefully not like.

Absolutely true - they used to sign Scots of approx 28 years of age from teams like McNuggets Utd whilst quibbling over about 30,000 quid extra which would have enabled them to sign the likes of Andy Gray(that actually happened when Joe Harvey wanted Gray after seeing him cause NUFC a ton of trouble in a game at SJP when Gray was 17....the Board wouldn't pay the extra to get him and he went to Villa).

Even players like Beardsley were signed AFTER Man U had the chance first and rejected it(nice one, Big Ron...!!!), and we picked him up from Vancouver.

Not until SJH was Chairman did we really get to compete for top division players, and even then, some of the best signings were bargain basement - Lee, Cole etc.

Sir Les was probably the highest-profile signing at 6m in 1995 until Asprilla and Alan Shearer in 1996.

Guest The Libertine

Former-Rangers winger Peter Løvenkrands is expected to arrive at St. James' Park on Monday to finalise his transfer to the North-East. The Magpies are desperate to add numbers to an injury-hit squad, and Løvenkrands may be a safe bet considering he can be acquired on a free.

Løvenkrands has represented Denmark in 20 Internationals, and was a regular at the Ibrox before his coveted move to German giants Schalke o4. However, he has not been able to find his form with The Miners, and is now looking for a new club to ply his trade, with Newcastle in pole position to land him.

A move back to his old club Rangers is still on the cards, but Walter Smith is said not to be keen on re-signing the wingman.

Dennis Wise and his recruitment team are working to secure the Dane, while other targets are also being scouted, according to The Daily Mail.

If the transfer goes through, Løvenkrands would be Newcastle United's first signing of 2009.

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=138600

BUT!

Now officially a free agent Peter Lovenkrands has confirmed reports that he will be training with former club Rangers.

The 28-year-old Danish winger originally left Glasgow two-years ago to jumpstart his career in the Bundesliga but things have not nearly gone according to plans. For months Lovenkrands has been publicly pining for a returning to Rangers and now, mere days after Schalke decided to release him, he is now a big step closer to getting his wish.

"It's true that I am on the way back to Rangers for training, but I clearly do not want to say any more on that," he was quoted as saying in sporten.dk.

"I am not prepared to make any comments on salary and such things, but I am definitely open for many things.

"Of course, Rangers could be a great club for me. I know the club well and still have a great relationship with the club's management as well as with the fans.

"But my agent and I will have to see what sort of offers are going to come by now."

Fulham have also been heavily linked with the Dane but it now looks very much that he will continue his career in Scotland.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/778/schalke/2009/01/09/1053058/lovenkrands-to-train-with-rangers

Riise, Lovenkrands and Beattie are all better than what we have in reserve at the moment, at the moment we are relying on Edgar, Carrol and Xisco on the bench, I am not saying they are world beaters but they are pretty steady players who if nothing else will give us 100% commitment, more than all these players who have jumped ship or want to like the N'Zogbias of this world.

I dont think these three are such a bad thing !!! We could have done a lot worse. ie. Barry Ferguson etc.

Riise, Lovenkrands and Beattie are all better than what we have in reserve at the moment, at the moment we are relying on Edgar, Carrol and Xisco on the bench, I am not saying they are world beaters but they are pretty steady players who if nothing else will give us 100% commitment, more than all these players who have jumped ship or want to like the N'Zogbias of this world.

I dont think these three are such a bad thing !!! We could have done a lot worse. ie. Barry Ferguson etc.

I believe you are correct, however these players all near 30.  They couldn't really be sold on again once they have passed there usefulness and we won't get much out of them for our money.  Beattie struggled in the Prem apart from 1 season at Southampton many years ago, Lovenkrands is free because he has been poor at Schalke recently and Riise, well, not sure if he would come here given that Enrique is better defensively and its leaving a Champions League side for a relegation battle.

So although I appreciate these three are likely to offer more than our youth players currently warming the bench, I'm sure we could spend elsewhere to get younger players in who are more hungry to succeed and therefore give us better value for money over time.  Would prefer Kyle Naughton and Ebanks-Blake over Riise and Beattie.