Bobby Robson's sadness over Newcastle's implosion

Thespence

Ordered the book on amazon. Anyone else got it yet?

Just recently finished it. Great read, and some valuable insight into how things are run in football, our club in particular - not to mention the differences between a continental setup and the setup being used in english clubs.

Couldn't help tears welling up at times, considering where he's at now, and what's happened to him during decades of managing, and also considering some of the disrespect he's been shown in clubs he's been at.

Theyve brought in people like Xisco and Nacho González and when I first saw them I thought, Oh my God! How are they going to play in the Premier League?

i take it he doesnt rate them too much then?  ;D

He's my absolute hero, but he bought some shite when he was manager too.

Theyve brought in people like Xisco and Nacho González and when I first saw them I thought, Oh my God! How are they going to play in the Premier League?

i take it he doesnt rate them too much then?  ;D

He's my absolute hero, but he bought some shite when he was manager too.

He did but Bellamy was his finest hour. It took balls to sign a relatively unproven striker at the time, who's only season in the top flight hat been a flop. My respect for Robson went up 100% after that deal because he staked his reputation on it more than any other signing.

He's my absolute hero, but he bought some s**** when he was manager too.

He took the club to the CL from 13th in the league and only spent £6 million a year net, I think his spending was self financed or at least very close to it.

He's my absolute hero, but he bought some s**** when he was manager too.

He took the club to the CL from 13th in the league and only spent £6 million a year net, I think his spending was self financed or at least very closes to it.

Stop fishing for an argument you.  :shifty:

Stop fishing for an argument you.  :shifty:

I'm not fishing, I have loads of time for Sir Bobby so I'm pointing something out which is true.  Shearergol wasn't having a go at him, what he said was true but I added a bit of perspective, nothing more.

“They’ve brought in people like Xisco and (Ignacio) Gonzalez and when I first saw them I thought: ‘How are they going to play in the Premier League?’ Who’s responsible for buying those players? Who saw them play?”

I wonder how much SBR has seen of them? I haven't seen enough to form an opinion either way yet although neither has looked like setting football alight just yet.

Xisco doesn't deserve that, he has absolutely everything to play in this league bar premiership experience. In addition to his obvious physical attributes he's a hell of a trier and shouldn't be made some sort of scapegoat for the events since Sep 1st

Aye, Xiscos already scored for us this season. He hasnt looked too bad imo.

I think Nacho could be another Luque type player. Hes played 2 games for us and has suddenly come down with an injury that we dont really get much coverage of.... :rolleyes:

I agree with the Bellamy point. To buy him for £6m was a big gamble but it really did pay off big. Sort of doubled his value (although we sold him for less than 6m...). He picked a good team to score against on his debut as well!  :iamatwat:

Robson should never have been sacked. He shouldve stayed for another year or so and try and win the UEFA Cup or the FA Cup and get us back into the CL. During that period a new manager shouldve been lined up for his replacement.

It was possibly the worst timing possible to sack Sir Bobby. No manager lined up, transfer window almost shut and no good managers available. Christ sake Im getting angry just thinking about it!

Robert was as big a gamble as Bellamy you could argue.

Hadn't he been sent off 3 times in 5 games at Monaco the year before we signed him and as a result had the entire city against him? Robson notes in his autobiography that when he and John Carter watched him play for PSG it was blatantly obviously he was defensively inept

I disagree with those comments as he should have went in the summer like Houllier did for Liverpool. The biggest mistake was his replacement.

Absolutely.

No. The big mistake was selling Woodgate and not replacing him. We went into that season with Bramble and O'Brien as our first choices. Good God!