West Brom (H) pre match thread

STM

Guest Howaythetoon

Has the 1-0 defeat to Sheff Utd a few seasons back written all over it. Will be a tough game I simply don't want to predict.

Why are there mid week games this week? Seems abit random, also ours being on Tuesday and the other 9 on Wednesday ???

We're on Sky, and Arsenal vs Spurs is on on Wednesday

I have only ever once truly feared relegation in my time supporting this club. That was against Blackburn last season, when Derbyshire scored in the last minute. We were 'only' s**** under Roeder and Souness, but we still had the strokes of luck and the last gasps of ability to sneak some home wins, which kept us away from the relegation zone. But last season, around that Blackburn game, we were getting nowt - looking like typical relegationees. Ie, not getting the results or the luck and it really did look ominous.

If we lose on Tuesday night then i'll feel that way again.

We've got to win, it's as simple as that really. We've got some genuine quality back to choose from now, and there is no need to play negatively. Play our best players, play football, and f***ing win.

I'd go:

Given

Beye Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Jonas Guthrie Barton N'Zogbia

Martins Ameobi

Subs: Harper, Caçapa, Bassong, Geremi, Duff, Xisco

ZOMG!!!1 Ameobi and Taylor. I know, controversial. With the ball at his feet though, Shola's looked good. I don't think, in those two past games, i've seen him beat his man as many times as he has done. He's looked relatively dangerous tbh - he'll be confident n'all. I wouldn't play long-ball, simple as that really.

As for Taylor, well, continuity really. Coloccini's been class and Taylor's been stop-start. I'd rather put my faith in Taylor, rather than change the personnel again and potentially hinder Colo's obvious progress, too. Enrique's got to start though. I like Bassong but he is inept at left-back.

Nicky Butt should be rotting in the reserves.

Finally good to see a reasonably likely team selection, none of this "zomg 3-5-2 wing backs Xisco MUST PLAY" ideas. Personally I hope Butt doesn't pass a fitness test so we can at least try Barton and Guthrie.

Guest optimistic nit

worst player on the pitch?

butt, guthrie, martins, duff and shola were all terrible.

wasn't even the worst defender. beye wasn't noticibly better at right back and taylor and colo didn't close down the sunderland strikers or midfielders all game, and cisse hit the post because of it.

i was working at the time so see didnt every kick, but (although bassong wasn't good by any stretch of the imagnination and made a few mistakes) its a bit unfair to single him out, when i cant think of anyone from what i saw that was noticibly better than him.

we lose this, then we are in a serious relegation fight.

Considering that we're currently 19th on the table, I think it's fair to say we've been in one for a while now.

Win though, and we're upto around 13th or 14th, which is where we finished several times under the old board. ;)

we lose this, then we are in a serious relegation fight.

Considering that we're currently 19th on the table, I think it's fair to say we've been in one for a while now.

Win though, and we're upto around 13th or 14th, which is where we finished several times under the old board. ;)

and seriously challenging for europe.....I aint fickle

If we lose this i belive relegation cant be avoided.

Yeah, may aswell not bother for the other TWENTY EIGHT games. f*** sake

it is a possibillity, that they wont.

sake f***

Jesus wept.

What jesus got to do with anything?

Jesus Saves,....

Richardson free kicks?

And still, compared to head-to-heads last season, we're amazingly actually still up. :lol:

Man Utd (A) - 1 point (0 points last season)

Bolton (H) - 3 points (1 point last season)

Arsenal (A) - 0 points (0 points last season)

Hull (H) - 0 points (1 point against Derby last season)

West Ham (A) - 0 points (1 point last season)

Blackburn (H) - 0 points (0 points last season)

Everton (A) - 1 point (0 points last season)

Man City (H) - 1 point (0 points last season)

Sunderland (A) - 0 points (1 point last season)

So still 2 points up from last season if we win on Tuesday. :lol: (a draw and we still break even)

Guest Rey Mysterio

I'd LIKE to see:

Xisxo Martins

N'Zogbia Barton Guthrie Jonas

Enrique Coloccini Bassong Beye

Given

We'll probably see something entirely different to that though.

Same for me

bassong is a better left back than enrique imo.

Is he bollocks, what on earth have you got to back that up? The lad was lost yesterday, absolutely lost.

To be fair, I remember Enrique at home against Ryan Babel last season and he raped him a new a*sehole. Not too different to Bassong yesterday tbh.

I'd like to see :

Given

Beye    Bassong    Colo  Enrique

Jonas    Guthrie  Barton

N'Zogbia

Martins

Ameobi

bassong is a better left back than enrique imo.

Is he bollocks, what on earth have you got to back that up? The lad was lost yesterday, absolutely lost.

To be fair, I remember Enrique at home against Ryan Babel last season and he raped him a new a*sehole. Not too different to Bassong yesterday tbh.

That was Enrique's only especially bad game for us. I can also remember him having Cristiano Ronaldo in his back-pocket at Old Trafford in the infamous Pearson game. Enrique's a good player; really can't understand the stick he's got now, simply cos he's not in the team.

(Of course, Sir Alex realised and switched CRon to the other flank. Where he met Stephen Carr. The rest is history.)

How the fuck can anyone pick Xisco ahead of Shola? Shola aint great but all you have to have done is watch the evidence with your own eyes that he's been better than Xisco. Xisco may come good but so far he's been way out of his depth.

Come on lads; show some sense.

How the fuck can anyone pick Xisco ahead of Shola? Shola aint great but all you have to have done is watch the evidence with your own eyes that he's been better than Xisco. Xisco may come good but so far he's been way out of his depth.

I agree. Why people on here are clambering for Xisco to be involved I do not know. He's shown very little to convince me that he'll be able to handle the Premier League at the moment.

I agree. Why people on here are clambering for Xisco to be involved I do not know. He's shown very little to convince me that he'll be able to handle the Premier League at the moment.

I wouldn't start him either... but i can see perfectly why people would want him in the team. New, exciting, cultured, unknown entity and is a striker from Europe. It excites people and they want to see him getting a chance. It's irrational and pretty blind-sighted but it's what happens.

People made their minds up about Shola Ameobi a long time ago.

But as i say, i wouldn't drop him at the moment. 2 in 2 and he's been playing well when he's had the chance on the ball. Long ball does nowt for him and it never has.

Guest Washington_Mag

I'd like to see :

Given

Beye     Bassong    Colo   Enrique

Jonas    Guthrie   Barton

N'Zogbia

Martins

Ameobi

Aye, players playing out of their positions. I'd love to see it.