RIP DOF TBH?

Dave

Spurs' failure to get the best out of the DoF system was ultimately down the individuals, not the system.

There was too much of 'who is available' and not enough 'who do we need', the lack of a defensive MF being the obvious shout, but another striker and another CD who have the confidence of the coach were others.   Comolli bought Rocha, Ramos didnt rate Rocha, Redknapp (apparently) does rate him.   It's obvious that the wheels will fall off if the DoF buys a player and the coach won't play him. 

Levy isn't exempt from criticism either.  Quibbling over £2m for Arshavin when Keane was going/gone was lunacy though he can't be criticised much regarding Berbatov.  Up to transfer deadline day, Manu's offer was £20m.  It went up to £30.75m but Comolli had let slip the options they had to replace Berbatov.  So, after trying to sign Kevin Doyle from Reading at 10.30pm to replace Berbatov(!), Spurs had no option but to take Campbell on loan.  Comolli was a dead man walking from the end of the window.

As Baggio said, both Keane and Berbatov had said they wanted away, Berbatov even saying that he wouldn't try in some matches.  They both had to go, simple as that.  Spurs' big mistake was not replacing either of them. 

Redknapp now has total control, which is probably best whilst Spurs are in the mess they're in, Bond in, Sherwood probably, Les Ferdinand possibly, he does seem to be getting on with it.  Also being suggested that he'll have a pot of £20m plus the Berbatov and Keane money with Diarra and Defoe the obvious targets.

Fucking top quality :lol::lol::lol:

Whatever the merits or pitfalls of the DoF system, the fact that it has failed with both Spurs and Newcastle means the debate is over in this country. Spurs have ditched it, once our club gets a new buyer, I think ours will go the same way.

End of.

I don't really think it failed at Newcastle in all honesty. Wise has only operated one transfer window at this club. We sold some dead wood and got in some decent players. People are disappointed we didn't replace Milner, but hey we got 12 million pounds for him. Then the manager resigns, fans revolt, and the owner begins to sell up. That is hardly a fair assessment of any "system" in all honesty. Newcastle United is a failure more than anything really.

Whatever the merits or pitfalls of the DoF system, the fact that it has failed with both Spurs and Newcastle means the debate is over in this country. Spurs have ditched it, once our club gets a new buyer, I think ours will go the same way.

End of.

And good riddance IMO. More trouble than it's worth.

And good ridance.

Our signings this summer are from Spain x4, France (all Internationals for World Class International teams) and Bolton.

Spurs signings are from Blackburn, Manchester United, Manchester City, Barcelona, PSV (all Internationals for World Class International teams) and two of the stars of Euro 2008.

Clearly searching the globe for talent these super scouts. How did every DOF in the land let a player like Zaki slip through the net?

End of.

I don't really think it failed at Newcastle in all honesty. Wise has only operated one transfer window at this club. We sold some dead wood  and got in some decent players. People are disappointed we didn't replace Milner, but hey we got 12 million pounds for him. Then the manager resigns, fans revolt, and the owner begins to sell up. That is hardly a fair assessment of any "system" in all honesty. Newcastle United is a failure more than anything really.

I'm not passing a final verdict on the system, it might well work elsewhere, and I agree we did reasonably well in the transfer market but the end result still has to be classed a failure at Newcastle. If the owner is selling up, the fans are unhappy, the team is in a relegation spot and the manager has gone....how else can you judge it?

End of.

Not really. Perhaps it's just because they hired shit DoFs.

Also, your average British manager will baulk at the suggestion of having someone else do the transfers. Seems to work okay for continental clubs.

Lyon and Sevilla in particular have dug up some real gems over the past few years and had cracking sides, making huge piles of cash in the transfer market to boot. At both clubs, DoFs are responsible for signings.

I think that, if done well, the DoF system provides more continuity as managers/trainers change. In England, you generally expect it to take a couple of years at least till a manager has "his" squad in place.

Thank goodness Ashley didn't set up a system that did fail, otherwise we really would be in trouble.  :doh:

Is  your complaint about Ashley the lack of signings the quality of signings or both? And how does your view compare to some of the transfer windows we had under Shepherd?

End of.

Also, your average British manager will baulk at the suggestion of having someone else do the transfers. Seems to work okay for continental clubs.

Lyon and Sevilla in particular have dug up some real gems over the past few years and had cracking sides, making huge piles of cash in the transfer market to boot. At both clubs, DoFs are responsible for signings.

I think that, if done well, the DoF system provides more continuity as managers/trainers change. In England, you generally expect it to take a couple of years at least till a manager has "his" squad in place.

I am not arguing that it couldn't have worked, but for it to have been accepted over here, either Spurs or Newcastle really needed to make it work. The fact that both clubs are giving up on it, whether through choice or otherwise means the British experiment is more or less over for now at least.

Maybe at a lower level like QPR it can be experimented with but I doubt any decent Premiership clubs will go down that route in a hurry for the moment.

Have to say this but in my opinion theres a difference between failing and not been given the oppurtunity to succeed.

That is all.

And it was Ashley that didnt give it the chance to succeed. He had the opportunity once Kevin walked, to stick to his guns and to try and prove it could work. He chose to walk too.

Have to say this but in my opinion theres a difference between failing and not been given the oppurtunity to succeed.

That is all.

Amd it was Ashley that didnt give it the chance to succeed. He had the opportunity once Kevin walked, to stick to his guns and to try and prove it could work. He chose to walk too.

Precisely. If Keegan bottled it then so did Ashley, and to a much more significant degree.

That is all.

Amd it was Ashley that didnt give it the chance to succeed. He had the opportunity once Kevin walked, to stick to his guns and to try and prove it could work. He chose to walk too.

Its a good point but the evidence suggests that there are reasons for him walking and not just a case of him thinking "fuck it" as is being made out, maybe its financial and the problems with Sports Direct meant that he felt he needed to concentrate on whats most important to him, maybe he felt that the pressure from the fans was too much maybe he took exception to having his family and himself personally threatened (I'd bet my left testicle that he had death threats). Maybe its a combination of all 3.

Who knows?

Spurs' failure to get the best out of the DoF system was ultimately down the individuals, not the system.

There was too much of 'who is available' and not enough 'who do we need', the lack of a defensive MF being the obvious shout, but another striker and another CD who have the confidence of the coach were others.   Comolli bought Rocha, Ramos didnt rate Rocha, Redknapp (apparently) does rate him.   It's obvious that the wheels will fall off if the DoF buys a player and the coach won't play him. 

Levy isn't exempt from criticism either.  Quibbling over £2m for Arshavin when Keane was going/gone was lunacy though he can't be criticised much regarding Berbatov.  Up to transfer deadline day, Manu's offer was £20m.  It went up to £30.75m but Comolli had let slip the options they had to replace Berbatov.  So, after trying to sign Kevin Doyle from Reading at 10.30pm to replace Berbatov(!), Spurs had no option but to take Campbell on loan.  Comolli was a dead man walking from the end of the window.

As Baggio said, both Keane and Berbatov had said they wanted away, Berbatov even saying that he wouldn't try in some matches.  They both had to go, simple as that.  Spurs' big mistake was not replacing either of them. 

Redknapp now has total control, which is probably best whilst Spurs are in the mess they're in, Bond in, Sherwood probably, Les Ferdinand possibly, he does seem to be getting on with it.  Also being suggested that he'll have a pot of £20m plus the Berbatov and Keane money with Diarra and Defoe the obvious targets.

One win and he's back :lol:

One win and he's back :lol:

:lol:

End of.

I am not arguing that it couldn't have worked, but for it to have been accepted over here, either Spurs or Newcastle really needed to make it work. The fact that both clubs are giving up on it, whether through choice or otherwise means the British experiment is more or less over for now at least.

Maybe at a lower level like QPR it can be experimented with but I doubt any decent Premiership clubs will go down that route in a hurry for the moment.

Right, I get you. You might well be right. Isn't Dario Gradi more or less a DoF at Crewe now? We'll see how that pans out.

BBC ripping off NO threads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7693806.stm

I like this defence of the system by Arnesen, without a hint of irony.

A sporting director brings continuity. In over 45 years at PSV they had about 25 managers but only three sporting directors who covered that whole period.

Isnt the point that PSV status as a top team has been maintained despite all those changes of managers and that it has maintained its status as one of Europes top talent spotters?