Given

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well you get these keepers who are either very young or new to the league. They have a good season and suddenly they are "better than Given" who has done it year after year. Then these supposed better keepers fade away and 5 years later Shay is still one of the best in the league.

fair enough. :thup:

Cech and VDS remain better though

I really think neither is better, Givens never made half the clangers these two have.

I think Cech is better. VDS is not better now anyway, he is actually pretty poor. Given is a great shot stopper, but there is more to goal keeping. I don't rate Given that highly anyway. Think the likes of Reina are better as well.

Guest Heneage

Well you get these keepers who are either very young or new to the league. They have a good season and suddenly they are "better than Given" who has done it year after year. Then these supposed better keepers fade away and 5 years later Shay is still one of the best in the league.

I really think neither is better, Givens never made half the clangers these two have.

I think Cech is better. VDS is not better now anyway, he is actually pretty poor. Given is a great shot stopper, but there is more to goal keeping. I don't rate Given that highly anyway. Think the likes of Reina are better as well.

Cechs good but has made a lot of high profile mistakes both at Club and Country level.

Cechs good but has made a lot of high profile mistakes both at Club and Country level.

not really, keepers makes mistakes, it will always happen. Cech's made his fair share

Guest sicko2ndbest

Does anyone see Shay as a future manager?

Goalkeeper coach.

Too good for that!

PS i think there will be a massive shortage of top players who want to be coaches purely because they are self sufficient

in a word, no

Shearer will blatantly be manager long term at some point. There's only 6 years between him and Shay and goalkeeper's rarely make good managers anyway.

They're a different breed, keepers. I'm sure people were asking the same of Schmeichal a few years back, and what is he doing? celebrity come dancing or whatever the f***

I really dont.Apparently he turned the captaincy for Ireland because he didnt want to do all the media stuff.He strikes me as the kind of charcater who likes to sit in the background and get on with it.I really could see himself and Steve Harper being Goalie  coaches for us

Guest Jawesome

My dad doesn't reckon he's that good like.  I think he's the best we've had as far as I can remember, the earliest I've known was Pav.

Best keeper i've ever seen play for us, going back to mid 70's and a top bloke as well when you meet him

That's one thing about Given that i love. Aside from the likes of Beye and Martins whose interviews are just funny, for whatever irrational reason, Given is the one member of the squad who i enjoy listening to. Aye, he can be a bit rent-a-quote at times like Butt and Taylor, etc, but i've heard him lay into things about the club and unnamed individuals and i respect his opinion moreso than the majority of others. He's fairly funny aswell, i can remember him calling Caçapa a salad when he arrived. :lol:

Guest Heneage

Reina's a joker tbh. Not as good as Shay and a complete tosser to boot

What you basing that on?

watching Reina play for the last 3 years

Meant the tosser thing :lol:

Best Goalkeeper? Over what period?

Maybe over the past 10 years - and now, I still think Harper is as good...

I think you would find that its only young fans who have voted Given as the club's best-ever keeper.