Disgusted at the lack of formal comment

Dave

Part of me suspects that Ashley may not intend to sell the club at all.

It was clear after the Hull game that he had to do something, the storm wasn't simply going to blow over if he kept his head down and tried to get on with it. So what's the smart thing to do? Announce that he's looking to sell up, appease the angry mob and then privately quote a selling price that nobody is going to meet. If some multi-billionaire comes along with a ridiculous offer, then by all means make a tidy profit and move on. But the odds of that aren't great.

Couple of months pass and then he makes a statement saying that nobody is interested and that we're basically stuck with him for now. What then?

If he got a good manager in, properly backed him and got rid of that ridiculous set up he has with Wise etc, then im all for him staying.

Parade around a stadium with "Cockney Mafia Out" banners, stage protests and boycotts and then wonder why word from the top isn't forthcoming?   :idiot2:

No, it wasn't all supporters but once the damage is done why try to pick apart who to talk to and who not to?  I wouldn't if I was Mike, tbh.

So what the f*** was his excuse when everything was rosy?

As has been said its either been laziness or contempt from day one.

Theres no reason for an owner or the chairman to say anything when things are going ok (as no-one would be interested tbh), its only when its not so rosy is it natural and expected to hear from a clubs heirarchy.

That time was immediately after KK and often enough following then (at the very least to try and get their side over).

If I was polled over who is to blame, i'd be an undecided - but my patience with the club is wavering and no communication at all from them isn't making me feel any better.

It was clear after the Hull game that he had to do something, the storm wasn't simply going to blow over if he kept his head down and tried to get on with it. So what's the smart thing to do? Announce that he's looking to sell up, appease the angry mob and then privately quote a selling price that nobody is going to meet. If some multi-billionaire comes along with a ridiculous offer, then by all means make a tidy profit and move on. But the odds of that aren't great.

Couple of months pass and then he makes a statement saying that nobody is interested and that we're basically stuck with him for now. What then?

If he got a good manager in, properly backed him and got rid of that ridiculous set up he has with Wise etc, then im all for him staying.

Me too, but I'd have little or no confidence in him to do this, even if he came out and promised it was going to happen.

Parade around a stadium with "Cockney Mafia Out" banners, stage protests and boycotts and then wonder why word from the top isn't forthcoming?   :idiot2:

No, it wasn't all supporters but once the damage is done why try to pick apart who to talk to and who not to?  I wouldn't if I was Mike, tbh.

I have three years of my money invested in this club, as have many others. Regardless of some fans' actions (or inactions, in my case), I feel I have the right to know what's going on - at least in more detail than has been the case.

It's hardly rocket science to recognise there are more than the few thousand at SJP who protested that day who care about the club.

Alright, small aside here and not to be too large an asshole about it but I take exception to using the term investing.  You've bought a season ticket not stocks or a government bond.  Gussying it up as "investing" is just a ridiculous semantic illusion to try and put the weight of a financial transaction larger than "purchased a good" behind it.

As for whether or not you or anyone "deserves" to know what's going on I think it's a bit too late for formal and polite conversation.  Again, he's already been forced into selling, why bother separating the wheat from the chaff at this point?  "To all the people who weren't dickheads: the sale is progressing nicely.  To all the dickheads: fuck you and your mother." ?  It's a taste of their own medicine thrown back at them and they find it hard to swallow.  We'll know about the sale when we know about it. 

What about the various companies that no doubt have hundreds of thousands of pounds invested in the club - do they not deserve to officially know what's going on?

Do you know they haven't?  I don't.  I don't know as they have either so I can't and won't bring that into consideration. 

I say invested as I bought it on the basis of the club moving forward in a satisfactory manner and with a sensible plan for the future. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this shit was going to happen. I don't care if that makes me sound less of a fan, the fact is I feel conned and let down. However, I now can't get that three years of money back, so I feel it gives those of us who put that money in more right to know what the owners are planning to do with it.

Ashley and his gang are supposed to be professional businessmen. What's professional about this 'taste of their own medicine' attitude? Sorry but I find it unacceptable when in charge of a multi-million pound business.

Touché on the companies bit.

Then we get a chance to do this things his way without interference from the angry mob who can't see past Keegan.

I say invested as I bought it on the basis of the club moving forward in a satisfactory manner and with a sensible plan for the future. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this shit was going to happen. I don't care if that makes me sound less of a fan, the fact is I feel conned and let down. However, I now can't get that three years of money back, so I feel it gives those of us who put that money in more right to know what the owners are planning to do with it.

Ashley and his gang are supposed to be professional businessmen. What's professional about this 'taste of their own medicine' attitude? Sorry but I find it unacceptable when in charge of a multi-million pound business.

Right, I guess my thought on a ticket is that you're first and foremost purchasing a seat and whatever happens to the money is out of your direct control so I don't consider it investing any more than purchasing an iPod is investing in apple.  I guess that still came off sounding dickish in my original post so apologies. 

As for his professionalism, non-communication is a pretty standard tactic in hostile environments.  It's not "being the bigger man" or "turning the other cheek", no,  I just said I don't blame him because I'd do the same.  I'm a petty bastard myself. 

I say invested as I bought it on the basis of the club moving forward in a satisfactory manner and with a sensible plan for the future. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this s*** was going to happen. I don't care if that makes me sound less of a fan, the fact is I feel conned and let down. However, I now can't get that three years of money back, so I feel it gives those of us who put that money in more right to know what the owners are planning to do with it.

You've got every right to be pissed off and I think once the club is either sold or taken off the market then something will be said.  Something has to happen if the club is to move forwards, things can't stay the way they are at the minute.

Then we get a chance to do this things his way without interference from the angry mob who can't see past Keegan.

Not at all. The angry mob who have seen what a mess has been made of the club by the current owner.

So what did the people who bought shares in SD do to deserve his noted lack of communication and contempt?

http://www.sports-direct-international.com/main.asp?pid=2

There are more underlings in that company to deal with communication and not every release needs a quote from him.

It was still a direct criticism by the city of the way he "took the money and ran" and then never answered any questions on it.

Surely a business the size of NUFC warrants a PR department which actually speaks?

Without wishing to take this down the 'it's Keegan's fault/it's not Keegan's fault' path yet again, who do you see as a good manager that will be willing to come in and work under Dennis Wise? Considering what's happened here since Keegan walked, and also at other English clubs where the system is/has been in place.

I'm not convinced anyone worth their salt would now touch the job.

Without wishing to take this down the 'it's Keegan's fault/it's not Keegan's fault' path yet again, who do you see as a good manager that will be willing to come in and work under Dennis Wise? Considering what's happened here since Keegan walked, and also at other English clubs where the system is/has been in place.

No need for the argument in my view - I've "forgotten" the Keegan saga - now its about judging his actions aside from that which I find very wanting.

Not at all. The angry mob who have seen what a mess has been made of the club by the current owner.

The club's a mess, true, but there are many at fault for that.

There are still so many unanswered questions about why KK resigned on the day he did and what went on behind the scenes. I'm still undecided on whose fault it all was, but what matters is that Ashley's here (and he owns the club), and KK's not.

I still like and admire Ashley's original plan (£20m/year +/- whatever money the club makes/loses), and if he were to stay, I would back him to appoint the right man. He failed his first time out with Keegan because he just didn't understand why that was pretty likely to end in failure, but he had the right idea - appointing someone who likes to play good football.

I know it's The Sun, but....

Joe believes Ashley will stay

JOE KINNEAR revealed Mike Ashley has been making plans to stay at Newcastle.

Ashley is still struggling to sell the Toon and unless a deal is struck before November 22 he will have to pump in more money in January to ensure relegation is avoided.

No sale after that date will be completed in time for buyers to help fund key purchases when the transfer window opens.

And that means the Geordie faithful must get used to the idea of the unpopular Newcastle owner remaining at the club for the foreseeable future.

Manager Kinnear said: “From the times I’ve met him I think Mike Ashley is the sort of guy who would hold his hands up and try and call a truce with the fans. I know he’s deeply hurt by what’s happened.

“I think you will hear from him after the Chelsea game on November 22. I think he will have to — it’s been a long time with nothing being said.

“I was originally brought in for eight games and in that timespan he thought the club would be sold. Now if it’s not he’s got to come up with other ideas.

“And I’d probably say we need four players. We maybe need to shift some out — I would advise him to go that route anyway.

“The most important thing is that we don’t go down. I think we’re strong enough to avoid relegation with a little tinkering.”

Despite interest from Nigeria, South Africa, America and China, no one has been able to match Ashley’s £300million asking price.

Kinnear added: “Here’s a guy that’s put £240m in. He’s cleared all the debts. This club is solvent where other clubs are forced to sell.”

Link: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1880119.ece

Right, I guess my thought on a ticket is that you're first and foremost purchasing a seat and whatever happens to the money is out of your direct control so I don't consider it investing any more than purchasing an iPod is investing in apple.  I guess that still came off sounding dickish in my original post so apologies.

If you'd bought an iPod (a fucking expensive one :lol:) and committed to buy the next two that are released by paying up front - regardless of what they are like - wouldn't you be slightly annoyed if within a few months of paying Apple announced they weren't sure if they were going to bother making iPods any more and then didn't comment for months?

I blame you for this rubbishy analogy btw. :laugh:

I think there'd be a load of interesting foreigners clamouring for the job. This club is still a big club, the foreigners will be used to working under a DoF (if the system is kept in place, and that's a big if, I admit), and our finances are improving so there'd be money to spend. Look at Unai Emery at Valencia. This is a bit hasty but this is his 'first' big job and the team's excelling, playing good football and the fans like him. They're top of La Liga, have the best defense and almost the best attack. The key was that Valencia still had good players and I believe we have the quality in the squad as well. We don't need an English manager for this club to be successful. That criteria inexplicably rules out a load of good candidates. A good manager isn't necessarily an experienced manager.

I don't think we have a good squad at all though. Good enough to tread water perhaps, but nothing more.

Added to that the fact we'll probably need to bring in ten players at least next summer (see the seven likely to leave), I can't see how Ashley's going to make it work even if he wanted to.

I don't think we have a good squad at all though. Good enough to tread water perhaps, but nothing more.

Added to that the fact we'll probably need to bring in ten players at least next summer (see the seven likely to leave), I can't see how Ashley's going to make it work even if he wanted to.

Not without a rethink of the £20m - it would need a big one-off injection (which is what combined with his blueprint I would have been happy with).

By the way I make no apologies for my own personal opinion varying almost daily on the subject of this club.

There's so little detail about, well anything, that I keep changing my mind about who I feel is to blame and what can be done. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of, unlike some who seem to think once you've posted something on this forum you can't ever back down from that or admit your feelings have changed.

Beats me why everybody seems surprised that the club has not been sold considering the economic meltdown.

Why would any foreign billionaire buy now when they will get an even better bargain later in the season? Or even if we were relegated would it be better to buy the club then and build it back up?  Remember we aren't talking about Newcastle supporters we are talking about economic investors who don't really have our priorities.

By the way I make no apologies for my own personal opinion varying almost daily on the subject of this club.

There's so little detail about, well anything, that I keep changing my mind about who I feel is to blame and what can be done. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of, unlike some who seem to think once you've posted something on this forum you can't ever back down from that or admit your feelings have changed.

I agree - as I said I think the blame game is pointless - I'm trying to look forward to the future and hope that means a quick sale as I think an Ashley future is bleak.

I'm on the 3 year DD scheme and if the current situation lasts till Feb I'll be cancelling and then making another judgement in the summer. As it stands I won't be renewing - there has to be some kind of hope to make it worthwhile.