No more investment from Ashley

steve_69

Was having a think about this last night. Ashley said he's not prepared to invest any more money in the club which naturally prompted the assumption that no more signings would be made while he's at the helm. Ashley always intended to make the club self sufficient and the £20m investment in transfers he spoke of would be additional to money generated by the club. Given our 'astute' transfer dealings in the summer transfer window there should be a decent transfer kitty still available, particularly from the sale of James Milner. This could be the reason for the continued scouting, transfer rumours, Kinnears comments about new players etc. Perhaps Ashley doesn't have to invest any more money in the club for us to buy new players because there's already money there.

Did he actually say that he wouldn't be investing anything more? Honest question, I just didn't hear it.

Yes. 'I'm therefore not willing to subsidise the club any longer' or words to that effect. Was in the big statement.

Direct quote from Ashley:

'I have loved taking my kids, being next to them and all the fans, but I am now a dad who can't take his kids to a football game because I am advised we would be assaulted.'

Therefore, I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle United.

Hopefully that just means he isn't prepared to 'subsidise' the club, and that some signings can still be made out of the clubs own sustainable spending power.

Obviously would be better if he was going to plough in his own money again, but we got we asked for didn't we? He wants out.

I assumed that his statement was more about not putting any cash in from his own pockets whilst the club should hopefully still have a few ££ spare in the transfer kitty that's come from the normal running of the club.

The fact that Wise is still here and apparently submitting transfer offers for youth players would seem to back that up.

I thought the 20m he was going to put into the club every season would be used as a addition to the transfer kitty the club itself had already generated.

I'm pretty sure that's the case, so there's no reason to assume that there'll be NO transfer activity at all in january because there should still be some money left over from summer.

'Subsidise' as a word in that statement is a piss-take on our intelligence, as if he has subsidised anything.

If he sells at the asking price, he will re-coup the investment in debt re-payment and the initial purchase price. He's got 3 years of season-ticket sales and the extra sky money in the bank this year and the net spend is fuck all. Where the subsidisation comes from is beyond me.

I'd like him to publish the 07/08 accounts but us not being a PLC means he doesnt have to (i think).

I read in a couple of papers yesterday that the asking price for the club is £250m, which if true means Ashley must have dropped his valuation to a realistic amount.

Hopefully that's true and he will sell up and clear off pronto. If he's not going to run the club in a proper manner there's no point in hanging around while Dennis Wise wheels and deals with what he's got. I can see more harm than good in that.

The positive is that Ashley will know what getting relegated would do to the club's value, so if we've not found a buyer by January and are still close to the bottom then it's in his own interests to fund a signing or two.

Nothing major though, obviously.

The positive is that Ashley will know what getting relegated would do to the club's value, so if we've not found a buyer by January and are still close to the bottom then it's in his own interests to fund a signing or two.

Nothing major though, obviously.

The propective buyers know what it will do to the asking price too.

He does want the club though, he's just not prepared to keep it when he knows we'll do anything to make sure he loses money hand over fist, and because he feels that his family are being threatened.

He may have just pulled off an accidental masterstroke by employing Joe Kinnear but he'll never get the chance to fully appreciate it because of his own arrogance, stubborness, niaivity and lack of understanding of what makes the people of Newcastle tick.

Ashley's main problem is he values his friendship of Dennis Wise over the interests of the club.

For an astute businessman its amazingly short sighted of him to continue employing this little shitbag with absolutely no connection to the club whatsoever.

Wise is obviously more valuable to him than the tens of millions of pounds extra he would have got by selling a healthy club with a 50,000 pie eaters buying food every game. :idiot2:

Ashley's main problem is he values his friendship of Dennis Wise over the interests of the club.

For an astute businessman its amazingly short sighted of him to continue employing this little shitbag with absolutely no connection to the club whatsoever.

Wise is obviously more valuable to him than the tens of millions of pounds extra he would have got by selling a healthy club with a 50,000 pie eaters buying food every game. :idiot2:

Not sure how astute he is, certainly did well to build up Sports Direct but some of his recent decisions have shown him to be a bit of a muppet. Wonder how much the Sunday Times will value him at this year, think we're his biggest assed now

Still can't see anything that Wise has done wrong other than not being a Geordie. If that's why you don't like him then you're being even more short sighted than you claim Ashley is tbh.

Hopefully that just means he isn't prepared to 'subsidise' the club, and that some signings can still be made out of the clubs own sustainable spending power.

Obviously would be better if he was going to plough in his own money again, but we got we asked for didn't we? He wants out.

again?

You can't be as succesful as Mike Ashley is without being an astute (and ruthless) businessman.

The saddest thing about this situation is that it actaully seems as though Ashley's plan for the club could've been very successful. The signings of Beye, Enrique, Barton, Jonas, Bassong, Collicini, Guthrie and Xisco have improved the squad (and reduced it's average age), the wage bill has been reduced, the £12m we got for James Milner looks increasingly like an excellent piece of business and the scouting team seems to be unearthing some decent talent.

Unfortunately for Mike Ashley he seems to suffer from a severe case of poor judgement that ruined his chances of a long tenure - his lack of affinity with the geordie public, his insistence on surrounding himself with cockney wideboys, his undermining of a Newcastle United legend, his complete lack of communication with and subsequent disregard for us (the fans) and his over-valuing of a club he claims to want rid of have forever made him a hate figure. 

He came here with good intentions and i think those intentions could've made for a very interesting long-term future, but Ashley showed incredible niaivity in trying to run Newcastle United as a business first and foremost and a football club as an afterthought.

again?

Aye, like when he paid off the debts and that.