FORUM UPDATES: Slow tonight for 15 mins, doing some digging...

Dave

Guest Geordiesned

This is much quicker at loading pages, it will be interesting to see how it copes with the pressure of a match day or a major club announcement.  It's got to be said though, it looks a million times better so far.

It’s just a pity Dave and Rich will be sleeping now instead of getting some of the benefit of the work they’ve both done.

Or lack of a club announcement yet again when the shit inevitably hits the fan at some point in the future.

I think it's a mod conflict, so again nothing to do with the new server. In fact I'm certain I've seen someone have the problem before. Because by changing your sig you're messing with a particular file on the database (somehow, don't ask me how) it thinks you shouldn't be and throws up errors.

Still, as long as you're sorted now.

I think it's a mod conflict, so again nothing to do with the new server. In fact I'm certain I've seen someone have the problem before. Because by changing your sig you're messing with a particular file on the database (somehow, don't ask me how) it thinks you shouldn't be and throws up errors.

Aye cheers.  Right I'm going for the hat trick.  What can I find next? :lol:

I just had a connection to the database error :(

Yep, we know about that one.

It appears (to me at least) that the forum takes actually using it to stretch its wings if you like. At first it was slow for everyone then sped up. Just then I was searching the forum for LLLO's sig problem and the same happened; it went slow as fuck and spiked our server usage.

I think use over time will smooth it all out. I may be wrong, but the evidence suggests it so far.

Aye cheers.  Right I'm going for the hat trick.  What can I find next? :lol:

This is very helpful mate! Honestly, we'd rather know about problems ASAP.

Yep, we know about that one.

It appears (to me at least) that the forum takes actually using it to stretch its wings if you like. At first it was slow for everyone then sped up. Just then I was searching the forum for LLLO's sig problem and the same happened; it went slow as fuck and spiked our server usage.

I think use over time will smooth it all out. I may be wrong, but the evidence suggests it so far.

Champion. Cheers.  :thup:

Paul, the hacking attempt error is due to your image in your sig being too large. The limit is 800x150 pixels and that of yours is too high. Did you manually resize it within the image tags yourself to get it to work height=xxx or didn't you type that in?

Paul, the hacking attempt error is due to your image in your sig being too large. The limit is 800x150 pixels and that of yours is too high. Did you manually resize it within the image tags yourself to get it to work height=xxx or didn't you type that in?

The image has been there a while.  I typed that in i think.

The image has been there a while.  I typed that in i think.

Yeah, but it only applies to new changes I think. Oh well, it works now and that's the main thing. It's defo been image size that's caused the errors before though; it's because we have a mod installed that prevents people having a wallpaper for their sig. :)

Wait until he tries installing a theme, the c***. :lol:

I was bored.   :lol:

It's still better than the temp forum which has plenty of members but very few users.  It's been the same every time it's needed which will hopefully be a thing of the past.  If not then knock a freebie up for a few days or so.

Has something been changed?  Unread posts were normally in threads which were highlighted by bold.  It looks like this is now just the case with todays unread posts.

It has indeed. In our database which contained 4.7 million tables of data for the forum, 3.3 million of those were taken up by reference points to where EACH user had read EACH thread up until and for every unread thread that each user had, a new record was created.

It was taking up 100mb of space and is apparently a well-known cause of potential slowdowns and errors. We thought people losing their reference points dating back to January 2007 was a small price to pay for the potential increases in performance the changes could bring.

I know it's not ideal, but it probably had to be done, it had grown beyond all proportion. Nothing has been lost from the forum as far as content goes, the forum has just "forgotten" up to where each user has read in each thread.