The offers aren't enough

Dave

Guardian reckons the asking price is £260 million.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/29/newcastle-united-premier-league

If it's true, that's a fair price. If we are struggling to find buyers for that amount, you have to wonder what sort of people are in for the club and how much liquid assets they have at their disposal.

While the value of most other businesses are are dropping by millions, billions or going to the wall, wor Mike thinks he should be able to re-coup his outlay & some.  If he wants out as quick as made out in his heart felt memo then he need to realize what he paid for Newcastle was during a peak time & he is selling in a lull. He needs to treat the club like a England football top & whack the 70% off sticker on the club.

If only Mike read the Financial Times instead of The News Of Screws.

If it's true, that's a fair price. If we are struggling to find buyers for that amount, you have to wonder what sort of people are in for the club and how much liquid assets they have at their disposal.

While the value of most other businesses are are dropping by millions, billions or going to the wall, wor Mike thinks he should be able to re-coup his outlay & some.  If he wants out as quick as made out in his heart felt memo then he need to realize what he paid for Newcastle was during a peak time & he is selling in a lull. He needs to treat the club like a England football top & whack the 70% off sticker on the club.

If only Mike read the Financial Times instead of The News Of Screws.

I'm sure my house has dropped in value, but I'd rather not run out and sell it at a loss. I can't really blame Ashley if he feels the same way. Have you stuck a 70% off sign on yours yet?

I'm sure my house has dropped in value, but I'd rather not run out and sell it at a loss. I can't really blame Ashley if he feels the same way. Have you stuck a 70% off sign on yours yet?

You would get a pretty good idea fairly quickly that the offers coming in werent adequate. Then, if you didnt want to sell at a loss, you would formally take it off the market and maybe think about making changes to the house to improve it instead in readiness for when the market pics up again.

(to use a pretty rubbish house analogy) :blush:

[quote author=Big TRon link=topic=58042.msg1583143#msg1583143 date=1227960158

You would get a pretty good idea fairly quickly that the offers coming in werent adequate. Then, if you didnt want to sell at a loss, you would formally take it off the market and maybe think about making changes to the house to improve it instead in readiness for when the market pics up again.

(to use a pretty rubbish house analogy) :blush:

and your house isn't likely to be moved to an inferior and less attractive location due to your neglect of its upkeep

Guest Heneage

I fail to see how our value has shot up by nigh £130m since his arrival.

That's why you'll make a great Journo!

Depends how you look at it.

If I had say £300m to invest in a club with the intention of making money via success in the long run then I might take a view that paying £130m for a club which has £100m worth of debt which is serviceable on an ongoing basis would leave me £170m to spend on the team. A price of £260 for a debt free club leaves only £40m which may not be enough to provide the success.

If I had say £300m to invest in a club with the intention of making money via success in the long run then I might take a view that paying £130m for a club which has £100m worth of debt which is serviceable on an ongoing basis would leave me £170m to spend on the team. A price of £260 for a debt free club leaves only £40m which may not be enough to provide the success.

So what if you had £530m to invest in a club?

Obviously that would be different.

Without being psychic I'd imagine that we aren't attracting interest from people who have stupid money a la Man City so it's safe to assume those interested have a limited initial budget as I suggested.

The best case would obviously be somebody who is willing to spend "stupid" money on players but who is a ruthless enough businessman to gamble and wait until the price falls.

That is a total muppet statement. Nobody in their right mind buys a football club to make money, they are a play thing for ego-millionaires or as Ashley has proved Ego-billionairres if you want a premiership club. Every newcastle fan, myself included would love to own NUFC, but never to make money ffs

We need a group of rich tossbags with more disposable cash then sense (So yanks or arabs) to come here and tug themselves off to some attacking football against the best sides in the world, end of story.

That is a total muppet statement. Nobody in their right mind buys a football club to make money, they are a play thing for ego-millionaires or as Ashley has proved Ego-billionairres if you want a premiership club. Every newcastle fan, myself included would love to own NUFC, but never to make money ffs

We need a group of rich tossbags with more disposable cash then sense (So yanks or arabs) to come here and tug themselves off to some attacking football against the best sides in the world, end of story.

:lol:

cracked me up, but its right enough like

Glazer/Lerner/Hicks/Gillet et al are all out to make money - that's how they made their money by doing the same thing in the US.

The only clubs bought as playthings (which I agree is our ideal) would be Man City and arguably Chelsea and possibly Boro.

Even then the latter two are at least trying to run themselves as businesses.

I'm not sure what all the conspiracy theories are about, all of this makes perfect sense.

Any buyer looking at the club now would need to factor in the risk of relegation. In simple terms, if the club was worth £100m less if relegated at the end of the season, and there is a 40% risk of that happening, a discount of £40m would be applied to any offer. In real terms, buyers are more prudent, and the discount to value would likely be a lot more. I also think relegation would have a larger impact than £100m on the club - think Leeds.

So any offer now will be well below £200m - no bidder would ever make an offer which didn't factor in the risk of relegation given NUFC's current state.

However, if you wait until the end of the season, and NUFC survive, very little discount will be applied, and Ashley would most likely get close to the asking price. If they go down, the full discount to price will be applied and Ashley takes a big hit, and would most likely keep the club and gamble on promotion the following season.

So I think Ashley is gambling on JFK keeping the club up so he doesn't make a huge loss on NUFC, which he is entitled to do.

I'd buy Liverpool.

Gillett & Hicks paid £175m, & took on the £45m debt. What makes Ashley think he's going to get £260m for us (if the report is true) in a far worse economic climate?

:lol:

cracked me up, but its right enough like

Cracked me up because the poster is clearly a spastic.

• 1 month later...
Guest sicko2ndbest

Agent Pini Zahavi is heading a consortium which is lining up a Premier League club and make former Chelsea boss Avram Grant as manager. Newcastle and Portsmouth are the main targets. (Sunday Express)

Agent Pini Zahavi is heading a consortium which is lining up a Premier League club and make former Chelsea boss Avram Grant as manager. Newcastle and Portsmouth are the main targets. (Sunday Express)

CAN PEOPLE WATCH WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT GAZA AS IT MAY PUT OFF POTENTIAL BUYERS & THE NEW GAFFER!!!!!

CAN PEOPLE WATCH WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT GAZA AS IT MAY PUT OFF POTENTIAL BUYERS & THE NEW GAFFER!!!!!

If he's Israeli then he'll love our mido chants.