Mark Viduka

Rich

One positive to his "Fat Aussie" playing style is that he probably won't decline that much with age. As he was never very fast/fit to begin with, there isn't much speed/stamina for him to lose, and his skill set is tailor-made to his physical strengths and limitations.

I think he'll be very important for us this year. let's sit back and wait a bit before we start talking about a new contract though.

I just wish there was some sort of master tactician out there, that could conjure a working formula for Owen, Martins and Viduka. Cos they're all fucking brilliant players in their own right; and if we could get all three playing in tandom we'd be coasting.

I know it's not fashionable to say it anymore but KK did that imo - Viduka's class, Owen's finishing and Martins' pace, with each one compensating for the others flaws, made a lethal combination.

I was going to say that "the" formation never got a proper airing against class opposition, then remembered the last home game of last season against Chelsea where we were unlucky to go into half-time level at 0-0 and then had to replace Viduka at half-time with Alan Smith, which subsequently saw us fall apart and lose all rhythm/shape.

The negative of that formation was that it would only work with those three playing it (and particularly Viduka) as there is nobody else in the squad capable of playing those roles. Perhaps Jonas could do Oba's role to a degree, but there's nobody who could do what Owen or Viduka were doing in that formation.

Spot on. That was the worry I had at the end of last season (which I said on here), that Vids needed replacing, and the only player who could feasibly replace him in the modern game that I know of is Berbatov, which was never going to happen, and there was no feasible replacement for Owen.

I trusted KK to solve the problem though... given the chance. :(

Guest firetotheworks

I just wish there was some sort of master tactician out there, that could conjure a working formula for Owen, Martins and Viduka. Cos they're all f***ing brilliant players in their own right; and if we could get all three playing in tandom we'd be coasting.

I know it's not fashionable to say it anymore but KK did that imo - Viduka's class, Owen's finishing/positional instinct and Martins' pace, with each one compensating for the others flaws, made a lethal combination.

Agree again, in a way you kind of think that in that system theres very little tactics that you need to put in because effectively you're leaving the players to play football and work things out for themselves. I remember the Reading game especially last season when it just seemed like clockwork, you had Beye and Enrique bombing forward because the opposition were s*** scared of our front 3, I still think it would work if you just put that front 3 on the field and told them to just play football, leave the tactics to set pieces and let the full backs bomb forward.

The difference that Gutierrez could make in for Geremi would be massive as well, I think. He's as willing as Geremi to help out at both ends of the field and offers something completely different. Geremi was the weak link in that team during open play, for me, mainly due to the demands placed upon him by there being one less man in our midfield.

I typed out a reply disagreeing with that there, but then I hit a dilemma. What I was going to say was that Geremis delivery in open play made him worth having and that Id move Jonas to his preferred left wing. But then that moves Charlie out the starting 11, so Id maybe clip Jonas' wings slightly and have him on the right with Charlie on the left. I couldnt put Geremi ahead of NZogbia so aye, in a long winded way I agree, but its definately food for thought I reckon.

Firetotheworks... as much as i like Zog, if Jonas continues to stutter on this right-hand side, switching it to Geremi right/Jonas left could end up being much more profitable. Such is Jonas' quality in his best position.

Watching highlights from the 4-3-3 period last season and dear me, Beye and Enrique in particular look like different players.

That formation was so attacking at SJP in particular, you've got Barton and Geremi pushed massively wide and forwards with Enrique/Beye actually overlapping at times, while Butt backs up everything in the centre and the centre-backs are pushed right up. EDIT: Beye and Enrique are actually up simultaneously a fair bit as well at SJP. It's fucking fantastic to watch.

The forwards are buzzing all over the place, Martins is always an outlet and there's some great interplay between Viduka and Owen.

Wish some fucker would get Kinnear to watch some tapes from last season.

Watching highlights from the 4-3-3 period last season and dear me, Beye and Enrique in particular look like different players.

That formation was so attacking at SJP in particular, you've got Barton and Geremi pushed massively wide and forwards with Enrique/Beye actually overlapping at times, while Butt backs up everything in the centre and the centre-backs are pushed right up.

The forwards are buzzing all over the place, Martins is always an outlet and there's some great interplay between Viduka and Owen.

Wish some fucker would get Kinnear to watch some tapes from last season.

Oh no, no. Michael Owen should not play in midfield. (7 in 9 from there Joe, you titarse).

I just wish there was some sort of master tactician out there, that could conjure a working formula for Owen, Martins and Viduka. Cos they're all f***ing brilliant players in their own right; and if we could get all three playing in tandom we'd be coasting.

I know it's not fashionable to say it anymore but KK did that imo - Viduka's class, Owen's finishing/positional instinct and Martins' pace, with each one compensating for the others flaws, made a lethal combination.

Agree again, in a way you kind of think that in that system theres very little tactics that you need to put in because effectively you're leaving the players to play football and work things out for themselves. I remember the Reading game especially last season when it just seemed like clockwork, you had Beye and Enrique bombing forward because the opposition were s*** scared of our front 3, I still think it would work if you just put that front 3 on the field and told them to just play football, leave the tactics to set pieces and let the full backs bomb forward.

The difference that Gutierrez could make in for Geremi would be massive as well, I think. He's as willing as Geremi to help out at both ends of the field and offers something completely different. Geremi was the weak link in that team during open play, for me, mainly due to the demands placed upon him by there being one less man in our midfield.

I typed out a reply disagreeing with that there, but then I hit a dilemma. What I was going to say was that Geremis delivery in open play made him worth having and that Id move Jonas to his preferred left wing. But then that moves Charlie out the starting 11, so Id maybe clip Jonas' wings slightly and have him on the right with Charlie on the left. I couldnt put Geremi ahead of NZogbia so aye, in a long winded way I agree, but its definately food for thought I reckon.

My first choice 3 would be Jonas - Butt - Barton, but Guthrie could easily slot in for Barton while he's injured.

As much as people dislike Butt, I doubt Guthrie/Geremi/Barton could play that role, but I wouldn't be averse to seeing it tried.

Got the Fulham (h) 2-0 on now. We should have won that about 5-0!

Seriously, if people have got NUFC TV accounts, then it's worth reminding yourselves of the brief return of the Entertainers from the Birmingham draw up until half-time Chelsea (h)!

:laugh:

The second half of that Spurs game was the best we've played for a long time. That could quite easily have been an away repeat of the 7-1. The front three ripped them to bits.

I was unbelievably tense during that second half vs Fulham. We were never in danger of losing and looking back it was a piece of piss, but crimony, how badly we needed that victory. I'd turned the radio off cos i couldn't bare it, two minutes later Owen sealed it and i squealed like a baby.

Guest optimistic nit

I just wish there was some sort of master tactician out there, that could conjure a working formula for Owen, Martins and Viduka. Cos they're all fucking brilliant players in their own right; and if we could get all three playing in tandom we'd be coasting.

I know it's not fashionable to say it anymore but KK did that imo - Viduka's class, Owen's finishing and Martins' pace, with each one compensating for the others flaws, made a lethal combination.

I was going to say that "the" formation never got a proper airing against class opposition, then remembered the last home game of last season against Chelsea where we were unlucky to go into half-time level at 0-0 and then had to replace Viduka at half-time with Alan Smith, which subsequently saw us fall apart and lose all rhythm/shape.

The negative of that formation was that it would only work with those three playing it (and particularly Viduka) as there is nobody else in the squad capable of playing those roles. Perhaps Jonas could do Oba's role to a degree, but there's nobody who could do what Owen or Viduka were doing in that formation.

well imo the only reason to play 433 is that viduka, owen and martins are 3 of our best players. if we play all 3 of those together we gain more than we lose by playing what is in my opinion an inferior formation. as you said playing those 3 together means that they compensate for all their weakness', but i dont think we should see it as a long term formation or try and replace viduka and/or owen if they leave at the end of the season. playing 433 inevitably means we'd need to drop zog and play jonas in the middle which isn;t his best position.

i quite like the 4 of jonas, barton, butt (yes butt) Zog. i think it could do well for us if we persist with it, but playing 4 in midfield means we'd need to drop one of viduka, martins or owen and the truth is playing those 3 together will be more productive than that midfield of 4 plus 2 of the 3 strikers, even though i think that midfield could work well.

does that make sense? maybe not :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Seriously, if people have got NUFC TV accounts, then it's worth reminding yourselves of the brief return of the Entertainers from the Birmingham draw up until half-time Chelsea (h)!

The second half of that Spurs game was the best we've played for a long time. That could quite easily have been an away repeat of the 7-1. The front three ripped them to bits.

Owens goal epitomises what were all wanking on about really. Loved that goal so much

Will never forget Johnnypd's description in the match thread of Martins grabbing the fourth.

"... then took Tainio to fucking Alaska..."  I couldn't see the game so that was absolutely brilliant. :lol:  At that time n'all. Christ, i was on the ceiling.

I'd forgotten things got that good, tbh.

Just watched the Chelsea highlights and fucking hell man, how were we not ahead at half-time?

Even in the second-half Owen missed another fantastic chance at 1-0 down.

Owens goal epitomises what were all wanking on about really. Loved that goal so much

KK on the touchline - "get at him!" :smitten:

The fact that wasn't even the best moment of the match (the shimmy to put mackem Tainio on the floor) tells a story of how good we were.

The third goal against Reading was absolutely world class btw. Not just a 'brilliant' goal - it was genuinely world class - we'd have scored that against anyone. The sort of goal that MOTD would repeat over and over again if it was Arsenal. Just the counter-attack play mixed in with the short passing and mental connection from teammates. It was just a superb bit of play. We absolutely took the piss in that game tbh, can remember just after half time we played this 25-pass move or something. We looked absolutely quality.

What I still fail to understand though, even moreso after watching all these games, is why people wouldn't want Keegan back again.

The man is basically a miracle worker. The belief that these players were playing with 6/7 months ago was incredible, it's like watching an entirely different team.

God damn this has been a depressing read.

Alaska...:lol:  He really did kill him there....

:-[

It doesn't really depress me, to be honest, because there's nothing we personally could have done about any of it - you just have to roll with the punches.

Take the good and make the most of it when it comes (never forget it, either, like I think I had pretty much done) but be prepared to sit through the bad as well in the hope that those times will come around again. It's what football's all about really.

Things can't get much worse than they've been since September, unless we go down of course.

People probably just don't want to be hurt again. I mean, we're used to losing managers, but everyone eventually bought completely into the Keegan re-appointment. The end of that window and his subsequent exit were a punch in the gut that would be hell to go through again.