Owen & Martins

Nobody

I honestly couldn't give a f*** how they link up if they both keep scoring.

:thup:

I'm sick of the "Owen doesn't really offer alot to the team in terms of overall play" - Aye, but if he keeps scoring, who gives a fuck?

Goals win matches, not performances.

Working well provided we at the very least mix it up, but really should be playing close to 80% of balls along the floor. Long ball is OK for these two in small doses provided it's a measured, accurate defence-splitting pass (see Geremi vs Stoke) and not just a howk from the CB.

Working well provided we at the very least mix it up, but really should be playing close to 80% of balls along the floor. Long ball is OK for these two in small doses provided it's a measured, accurate defence-splitting pass (see Geremi vs Stoke) and not just a howk from the CB.

Long balls into the channels for Martins to run onto works well. :snod:

I wouldn't want to see them on the opposition's team sheet that's for sure.

Definitely. Two very scary players.

Before the game Jamie Redknapp on SKY kept stressing how dangerous Crouch and Defoe were as strikers and I was thinking...hold on Owen and Martins isn't exactly going to be a Sunday stroll for the Pompey defence. If it was a battle of the strike forces looks like it was a total KO for Newcastle.

Very happy with Martins and Owen.

Martins is the key for me. As he can play up top on his own if needed (not ideally) is real nightmare for defenders with his speed and being able to use both feet well, unpredictable and has a rocket of a shot too. I am having nightmares that we may sell him.

Owen needs others to create for him but is a master finisher and is so intelligent with his runs, timing and positioning. Martins is a good foil for him. He can lurk a little behind Martins timing his runs into the box or Martins can drop off or wide to turn provider, its a flexible partnership.

If Owen does go i would build our attack around Martins. Get him the best partner we can. A big man type striker ideally with some pace too.     

Can't deny that they are scoring goals.  I think Martins does a fair bit to pull defenders away from Owen so that Owen can find space to prod home.  That being said, I'd still like to see Viduka in there to add some creativity/hold up play - not at the expense of Owen or Martins though, at the expense of Butt/Guthrie/Barton.

In fact, this game basically confirmed to me how totally f***ed Portsmouth are when Defoe and Crouch have off days.

and the reason they are at portsmouth is because they have too many off days to be at a better club.

The Ferdinand/Shearer analogy is quite a good one. Martins and Owen don't really play that well as a pair but they cause problems as strikers in their own right. Having said that, for Owen's goal Martins dragged two defenders away by making a run the other way which never really got picked up on.

The Ferdinand/Shearer analogy is quite a good one. Martins and Owen don't really play that well as a pair but they cause problems as strikers in their own right. Having said that, for Owen's goal Martins dragged two defenders away by making a run the other way which never really got picked up on.

Just saw the goals again, and came to this thread to say that. Owen is left all alone due to Martins making the run. We won't struggle to score goals with the two of them on the pitch.

In fact, this game basically confirmed to me how totally f***ed Portsmouth are when Defoe and Crouch have off days.

and the reason they are at portsmouth is because they have too many off days to be at a better club.

:thup:

Guest Goalfather

I am still trying to figure out why posters say Martins lacks intelligence. He was the man of the match today . he ran tirelessly and intelligently, hit a beautiful long range drive , hit a few defence splitting passes and took his goal really intelligently selling David James a dummy.

Where is this lack of game intelligence I am constantly hearing about.

I am still trying to figure out why posters say Martins lacks intelligence. He was the man of the match today . he ran tirelessly and intelligently, hit a beautiful long range drive , hit a few defence splitting passes and took his goal really intelligently selling David James a dummy.

Where is this lack of game intelligence I am constantly hearing about.

:lol:

Not saying he didn't have a good game today, but that made me laugh.

Edit - came out wrong once again. Laughing at the fact you chose to use that adjective, not that it wasn't intelligent..oh i can't explain what i mean, fuck off

Overall it's working well because Martins is constantly going out wide and causing havoc with his dribbling ability/agility + two footedness + pace. His crossing has been suprisingly good too, he'll always be inconsistent but at least for every bad cross or two he puts in he's very capable of putting in a dangerous one.

And as we all know, Owen's movement off the ball is amongst the best in the business, so when Martins is pegging defences back into the penalty box it increases the chances of Owen getting on the end of something.

So far it looks like a strong partnership away from home as its shown itself to be mobile and difficult to contain. Defenders ethier have to worry about Owen's movement on top of worrying about Maritns either attacking down the flank or picking the ball up in between their defence/midfield and having a whack at goal, or if Owen drops deep, he'll link with midfield and ghost his way into the box late whilst the defenders now have to worry about Martins' pace getting in behind the central defenders.

Overall it's working well because Martins is constantly going out wide and causing havoc with his dribbling ability/agility + two footedness + pace. His crossing has been suprisingly good too, he'll always be inconsistent but at least for every bad cross or two he puts in he's very capable of putting in a dangerous one.

And as we all know, Owen's movement off the ball is amongst the best in the business, so when Martins is pegging defences back into the penalty box it increases the chances of Owen getting on the end of something.

So far it looks like a strong partnership away from home as its shown itself to be mobile and difficult to contain. Defenders ethier have to worry about Owen's movement on top of worrying about Maritns either attacking down the flank or picking the ball up in between their defence/midfield and having a whack at goal, or if Owen drops deep, he'll link with midfield and ghost his way into the box late whilst the defenders now have to worry about Martins' pace getting in behind the central defenders.

i'd erather martins didn't go so wide so much and just worked the channels

I think he just goes where the space is, and to be fair, if he's making goals from out wide I don't mind.

I think he just goes where the space is, and to be fair, if he's making goals from out wide I don't mind.

he'd create more staying more central but not very central.

You mean like his run across the box when Owen scored?

exactly in a way. he moved cleverly,he normally doesn't

If he's creating, scoring or facilitating goals I will put up with his faults I guess.

If he's creating, scoring or facilitating goals I will put up with his faults I guess.

me too. i just think he's wasting himself. he has the talent,pace and power to be a top forward....lacks nouse.