Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur - 21/12/08 - Pre-match thread

Dave

Rather have Shola start over Viduka.

Agreed. or even Xisco or Duff or Ranger.

Don't rate Viduka at all. 

Viduka has fantastic ball control technique and ability.  Give him the ball in the box and he will generally get a shot on target.  Lash 40 yard balls up to him & expect him to challenge it aint going to happen.

Why?

Think with Dawson and King looking like they'll play we should try to stretch them as much as possible, and that's not Owen's game anymore. Viduka is quality but his lack of movement will play into King and Dawson's hands. Get Shola running down the channels which he tried to do in his (albeit brief) cameo against Portsmouth and i think it'll cause those two problems.

Why?

Think with Dawson and King looking like they'll play we should try to stretch them as much as possible, and that's not Owen's game anymore. Viduka is quality but his lack of movement will play into King and Dawson's hands. Get Shola running down the channels which he tried to do in his (albeit brief) cameo against Portsmouth and i think it'll cause those two problems.

Shola's got nee legs man.

Viduka has fantastic ball control technique and ability.  Give him the ball in the box and he will generally get a shot on target.  Lash 40 yard balls up to him & expect him to challenge it aint going to happen.

Nowadays Viduka is still a good finisher if you give him a chance on a plate. Thats all the positives i can say about him really.

He has little to no movement which is frustrating if you want to pass him the ball, he is slow, he wins surprisingly little/nothing in the air against half decent CB and can be very easily marked out the game.

I'd rather dip in the reserves for Ranger/Xisco or even Shola.

Why?

More than Viduka ffs! Hopefully Oba's fit anyway.

Why?

But Viduka is far better than him in all other areas of his game.

Nowadays Viduka is a good finisher if you give him a chance on a plate. Thats all the positives i can say about him really.

He has little to no movement which is frustrating if you want to pass him the ball, he is slow, he wins surprisingly little/nothing in the air against half decent CB and can be very easily marked out the game.

Utter nonsense.

Why?

But Viduka is far better than him in all other areas of his game.

I know, but it's not always just about that, you've got to look at the opposition too and I think Owen/Viduka lacks physicality (Viduka is strong but only bothers when he's on the ball) and shola is the better option against Big bruisers. In my opinion anyway

Its a bit silly how some people's opinions of Viduka have dipped so low since his last injury.  People seem to be judging him on a few sub apearances while he's still not match fit.

I agree, if fit he is a very useful player... at the moment though I'm not sure he's ready.

Nowadays Viduka is still a good finisher if you give him a chance on a plate. Thats all the positives i can say about him really.

Pass the ball to Vidukas feet and he will retain it.

Shearer wasn't exactly super mobile towards the end of his career but his skill, technique and ability was still so good he kept on scoring goals........not forgetting his assists as well. 

Viduka will score a few goals for us before the end of the season, these will come in handy.

Nowadays Viduka is a good finisher if you give him a chance on a plate. Thats all the positives i can say about him really.

Utter nonsense.

So you think he has excellent movement, is quick, wins alot in the air and is rarely marked out of the game?  :idiot2:

I think some people forget how bad a player can be when he's been out for a while. He is still a quality finisher (so better than Shola there) but other than someone else carving out a gilt edge chance for him or it luckily landing at his feet he offers the team precious little and thats not enough in the modern game. Martins and Owen offer the team excellent movement and make themselves available avenues for passes from teamates. Viduka doesn't seem to do anything really except moan that people can't get the ball to him in space.

Utter nonsense.

So you think he has excellent movement, is quick, wins alot in the air and is rarely marked out of the game?  :idiot2:

I think some people forget how bad a player can be when he's been out for a while. He is still a quality finisher (so better than Shola there) but other than someone else carving out a gilt edge chance for him or it luckily landing at his feet he offers the team precious little and thats not enough in the modern game. Martins and Owen offer the team excellent movement and make themselves available avenues for passes from teamates. Viduka doesn't seem to do anything really except moan that people can't get the ball to him in space.

No, I didn't say that.

I think some people forget how good a player can be when he's been out for a while, don't judge him on a few appearances off the bench, it takes time to get match fit but Viduka will never lose his skill, movement, finishing ability, sublime first touch and control.

Pass the ball to Vidukas feet and he will retain it.

Shearer wasn't exactly super mobile towards the end of his career but his skill, technique and ability was still so good he kept on scoring goals........not forgetting his assists as well. 

Viduka will score a few goals for us before the end of the season, these will come in handy.

Its getting the ball to Vidukas feet in the first place which is the problem unless our midfielders are skinning the opposition and the opposition have left viduka unmarked.

Viduka is a poor mans Shearer.

Shearer grafts his arse off putting defenders under constant pressure, which Viduka certainly doesn't. Plus Shearers movement and hold up play was very good Viduka's is almost non existant and he is surprisingly weak especially in the air for such a big guy. Shearer was astonishingly good in the air.

Shearer wasn't that particularly big and he wasn't fast but was pretty much perfect in ever other way.  :smitten:

Since when did Martins have excellent movement?

Since  i started comparing him with Viduka.

But he doesn't though. He has excellent pace of course. Doesn't equate to excellent movement though.