Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Newcastle – 26/12/08 - Post-match reaction from page 23

midds

Guest firetotheworks

Given - 5 Position was a bit dodgy for the free kick I thought.

Beye - 6 Decent until he went off

Taylor - 6 Didnt do too much wrong

Colo - 6 As above. He must be shitting himself for the Liverpool match if as expected Enrique, Beye and Bassong arent back.

Bassong - 6 Never a penalty, or a sending off.

Nzogbia - 5 Run ragged by Valencia, not his natural position though.

Duff - 3 Absolutely ineffective in almost every way going forward. Slowed play down, didnt beat his man or pass beyond him

Butt - 3 Equally as shit

Guthrie - 5 Wasnt very good but was alongside Butt who was terrible. He still showed the fighting spirit that we need.

Jonas - 6 Our best player today, mainly defensively for a change.

Owen - 4 Completely ineffective, should have scored at least once within the first 10 minutes

Viduka - 4 Dominated by Bramble.

Carroll - 6 Did alright, won a penalty and should have had another I feel.

Edgar - 4 No impact. Not exactly his fault.

We've had an absolutely shit day today....and we're still 12th.  :crazy2:

Other results have certainly done us a favour today. Be a bit worrying if we get nowt from the Liverpool game, we'll be back down there again.

They're top of the League and flying. Anyone expecting a result against them is seriously deluded.

I'd take a point right now.

I'm expecting fuck all, man. :lol:  I predict that it'll be looking pretty scary on Sunday evening, but then we'll go and nick a win fairly quickly and pull away. Then lose and be down there again. Then win and pull away a bit. Then lose and be down there again. We'll be alright eventually like. Finding it increasingly difficult to get excited/devastated given our horrendous inconsistency.

Given 6

beye 6

Taylor 5

Coloccini 6

Bassong 5

N'Zogbia 5

Jonas 6

Butt 2

Guthrie 6

Duff 2

Owen 2

Viduka 4

Carroll 6

mike dean 0 i watched this game with a fifa licensed referee he just can't understand how he managed to have so many key decisions wrong.

Guest sittingontheball

Ah well, always looked like one of them days and past history for this fixture boded unwell. We were poor for 90 minutes and didn't deserve anything, though we were almost gifted a point.

STILL REGARDLESS OF WHAT HE SAYS ON MATCH OF THE DAY, THAT FUCKING SMUG TWAT OF A PLASTIC GEORDIE WAS BRICKING IT FOR THE LAST FIVE MINUTES. ESPECIALLY WHEN CARROLL WENT DOWN THE SECOND TIME.

That alone will make my day under the circumstances because it looked highly unlikely when Owen went off.

Get well soon Beye. And Bassong mate, welcome to the Premiership. Cheating twats and useless refs.

PS We've scored at the JJB now, so we'll not hear that stat again.

Was Owen injured, or was it tactical when he went off?  With the hectic schedule around this time of year, I was thinking it was tactical -- and Owen wasn't having his best match at any rate (right, I'm putting it mildly, I know) -- to limit any possible injuries to an already battered front-line.  Until I came online and people were talking injury.  The last thing Newcastle needs is even one more player not available. 

No. JK was smart enough to take him off so he couldn´t fake injury in the last few minutes and then miss the game against his former sweethearts Liverpool. Now Owen has to face the music and play against his former club. Owen must leave our club, he has no passion/interest here whatsoever.

Guest firetotheworks

Was Owen injured, or was it tactical when he went off?  With the hectic schedule around this time of year, I was thinking it was tactical -- and Owen wasn't having his best match at any rate (right, I'm putting it mildly, I know) -- to limit any possible injuries to an already battered front-line.  Until I came online and people were talking injury.  The last thing Newcastle needs is even one more player not available. 

No. JK was smart enough to take him off so he couldn´t fake injury in the last few minutes and then miss the game against his former sweethearts Liverpool. Now Owen has to face the music and play against his former club. Owen must leave our club, he has no passion/interest here whatsoever.

...it begins.

Guest sittingontheball

Fwiw, Duff should have stopped Bramble's header in the Wigan home match. It was straight at him and went in off his right knee.

The Owen/Viduka partnership is shite.

Shocker. Wouldn't have picked anything different though, personally.

In all fairness, even if it isn't a particularly brilliant combination - two strikers with the individual quality that they've got can still work if your midfield is up to scratch. Thus quantifying the underlying problem with our squad, centre-midfield.

Nonetheless, as far as squad recruitment goes, today certainly highlighted where we're lacking in depth the most. Obviously full-back, we really need a couple in January if we can. Anything... a couple of loans would suffice tbh. We need cover.

The Owen/Viduka partnership is s****.

we all knew that surely. No industry, pace or shooting ability from outside the box

Didn't Dukes score a beauty from outside the area against Fulham at home at the end of last year?

We've had an absolutely shit day today....and we're still 12th.  :crazy2:

Other results have certainly done us a favour today. Be a bit worrying if we get nowt from the Liverpool game, we'll be back down there again.

They're top of the League and flying. Anyone expecting a result against them is seriously deluded.

I'd take a point right now.

I'm expecting fuck all, man. :lol:  I predict that it'll be looking pretty scary on Sunday evening, but then we'll go and nick a win fairly quickly and pull away. Then lose and be down there again. Then win and pull away a bit. Then lose and be down there again. We'll be alright eventually like. Finding it increasingly difficult to get excited/devastated given our horrendous inconsistency.

Wasn't aimed at you chap.  :pow:

It'll be tight all the way imo. I'm still convinced we'll finish roughly about where we are now. Stoke and Bolton lost again. Hull, Boro and Portsmouth are on the slide. Sunderland's fixture list gets very scary soon too.

We had an awful day. Losing Enrique, Beye and Viduka. The referee had a shite game and Bassong got sent off..... And we still nearly got a point. I'm disappointed we didn't but we'll play worse and win games between now and May.

We'll be ok. :) 

It wouldn't be if we didn't have clueless midfielders who play like they've never seen either of them in training.

Having said that I'd bring back the 4-3-3 - it got the best out of all of them imo.

The Owen/Viduka partnership is s****.

IMO Viduka is fucking wank. Type of player who is shit for most of the game but might put in a good touch or two. For some people, that's OK, but given that Owen get's stick for not doing anything if he's not scoring, then the same applies for Viduka - he's shit if he's not setting up a goal. And it's alot worse with him when hes not contributing because he spends most of the game getting fucked over by the central defender marking him.

when michael owen isn't scoring, he's a f***ing useless player tbh

so prove me wrong again michael please

Exactly my thoughts...

Apart from the goal what Owen does to deserve his wage? Nothing!!! I can't remember a decent performance from him as a lone striker. Played some nice moves as more holding role but can't beat any defender in PL anymore with his "lighting speed". Should be sold in January just to get something...or he will leave for free in the summer

Andy Carrolls effort when he came on showed just how shit Owen and Viduka had been. Nothing worse than players who don't even try which is why I hate Berbatov.