West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we buy Beckford we've got the potential to create a partnership that might actually be able to work (ish) if we get promoted.

Both Carroll and Beckford have potential to make it in the Premiership, whereas we know Shola isn't good enough. I'd be very disappointed if we got Beckford and let Carroll go without giving them a chance to play together.

A useful player in a team that avoided relegation narrowly last season and probably this.

should be useful in a team that got relegated then? :D

edit: as you said :)

however i won't cry if we got a good price for him.. and neither if we keep him.

Was talking about Kevin Davies mate. Is that what we really want for the next 10 years btw?

Guest Stephen927

I would keep him for now. He is 21, his career is at the point where he will either become a success or hang around the lower divisions.

I think £2m for him is an insult of an offer. We couldn't buy someone similar to him, at the same stage in his career and the same nationality for anything less than £5m. He's English, lets slap a pricetag on him of £6m. If someone meets that, fine, we can sign a lower to mid table Premiership goalscorer.

I would keep him for now. He is 21, his career is at the point where he will either become a success or hang around the lower divisions.

I think £2m for him is an insult of an offer. We couldn't buy someone similar to him, at the same stage in his career and the same nationality for anything less than £5m. He's English, lets slap a pricetag on him of £6m. If someone meets that, fine, we can sign a lower to mid table Premiership goalscorer.

Exactly, it would be a stupid move to sell him so cheaply right now.

If we go up and he doesn't quite cut it in the Premier League, he'll still be only 22/23 and still worth at least £2m then, if not more.

As per my comments re Milner, I reckon that if Carroll is sold to even a half-decent club with a shrewd manager, he will turn out to be a much better player than he appears at NUFC - at his age, if a good manager gets hold of him he has the potential to improve by a big margin.

He is a dangerous target man and under the right coaching will become a very decent CF.

Guest johnson293

From the BBC...

1124 GMT: Newcastle boss Chris Hughton has warned new Bolton counterpart Owen Coyle not to bother making a bid for striker Andy Carroll. Coyle is reported to be considering a £2m offer for the Gateshead-born 21-year-old. (Press Association)

A useful player in a team that avoided relegation narrowly last season and probably this.

should be useful in a team that got relegated then? :D

edit: as you said :)

however i won't cry if we got a good price for him.. and neither if we keep him.

Was talking about Kevin Davies mate. Is that what we really want for the next 10 years btw?

not at all. Bolton are absolutely dreadful to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

From the BBC...

1124 GMT: Newcastle boss Chris Hughton has warned new Bolton counterpart Owen Coyle not to bother making a bid for striker Andy Carroll. Coyle is reported to be considering a £2m offer for the Gateshead-born 21-year-old. (Press Association)

Please, please, please, please be true.

Don't really know what to make of him tbh. He wins a few in the air and has hit the odd decent shot once in a while, but his hold up play is pretty weak...for such a big guy he gets knocked over surprisingly regularly. He shouldn't be starting so many games IMO, he's still far too raw.

I remember people used to say that Steven Taylor got a lot of time to prove himself because he was a local lad... maybe Carroll deserves a bit of that as well.

As was said above, he probably shouldn't be starting as many games as he is... he could be developed more gradually.

I do feel sorry for him in our style of play at the minute though.

He may not be good enough, but it's hard for a young lad when everyone whacks the ball up to you and goes "Howay Carroll, score/set someone else up" - especially when he's left completely without support 60/70% of the time.

Instead of berating team mates everytime they choose to pick out someone else, maybe he should spend a few seconds thinking about making a different, less predictable run next time. People say he's a 'nightmare' for defenders but he really isn't, defenders are undone by clever and dynamic movement, not some idiot content to have physical battles that win no advantage for 90 minutes.

Shouldn't be anywhere near the first Xl.

He is fucking crap. I stand by what I said, anything near £4m and I'd snap hands off.

Anything near £4 id snap their hands off....his lolloping running style and general lack of ability just makes me want to strangle the lanky scrawny streak of piss

Guest Roger Kint

Instead of berating team mates everytime they choose to pick out someone else, maybe he should spend a few seconds thinking about making a different, less predictable run next time. People say he's a 'nightmare' for defenders but he really isn't, defenders are undone by clever and dynamic movement, not some idiot content to have physical battles that win no advantage for 90 minutes.

Shouldn't be anywhere near the first Xl.

He has no clue how to use his head for flicks/passing etc, his movement is awful too

99% of the time it ends up in the keepers arms when he wins it

Maybe he should spend some time watching other players, off the top of my head i would say Koller, hes awkward and does his job well despite having zero pace. Just a thought